How To Ease That Restless Feeling?

sheath

Literotica Guru
Hey, all.

This might be a ramble, so you have been forewarned. It's one of those kind of nights, and you'll see why in a minute. ;)

I'm wondering if you can shed some light on something that has been on my mind quite a bit lately. I go through hours, days of feeling absolutely restless...like feeling the urge to get in the car and just GO. Just disappear. Or heading to a bar and drinking myself silly and then doing things I might regret in the morning...if I could remember them after all the alcohol.

It sometimes goes deeper than that, or branches out into other things. Like wanting to make love until I can't move. Or having rough sex, the kind of sex that leaves me bruised and sore. Or doing something reckless...like emptying out the bank account for a trip to the Virgin Islands. I would never actually DO that, but damn, it would feel great. ;)

But it usually boils down to sex. Passion. All-out fucking. Pure, unadulterated and reckless sex.

I know part of it is that I'm finally healing from a broken relationship, and my sexual self is again waking up. (Finally!) And part of it is that I simply have been going through somewhat of a sexual drought. So...I know the reasons for the way I feel.

I just don't know how to quell or release those feelings!

See, I'm usually a very responsible person. On every level. But lately...dammit, I do not WANT to be responsible. I want to do something out of the blue, the kind of thing that makes my closest friends look at each other in shock and whisper, 'Sweet Jesus, did she just DO that?'

Don't get me wrong...I love my life. I love my children, my work...anyone who knows me knows that. So I'm not talking about the kind of restlessness that says I don't want those things. On the contrary! But it would feel so good, just for a little while, to absolutely let go and not worry about anything at all. And not have any regrets about it later.

So...my question, and I DO have one, somewhere...

I know I'm not the only one who has ever felt this way. How do you quench that thirst for recklessness without actually BEING reckless? How do you satisfy that desire to escape from yourself and your little part of the world?

When you just cannot handle being responsible ONE MORE MINUTE, how do you release?

Thanks in advance. :)

S.

When I get those feelings I usually end up doing lots of pacing, going back and forth from one activity to another, having lots of phone sex (if I have any such partners at the time, or getting even more frustrated if I have none), and pretty much finding that nothing quells it. Its basically simply a case of riding out the storm, since, like you, I don't give in to it.

Sometimes, though, it may be possible to do something just a little irresponsible. Something that won't wreck your life, but, will at least let you give in a little to the urges. You might want to think about that, what you can do that might at least, if not satisfy, soothe your urges without getting you into any real trouble.

I just made no bakes sheath want some? That is what I usually do with that feeling, cook up a storm, and then clean the apartment from top to bottom. Gets rid of the energy and does something that I won't regret with it.

But at the same time, I think that Falkieri has a good way of handling it as well. DO SOMETHING just for you that is a little irresponsible. Something that makes you feel sexy and good about you. Buy lingerie, get your hair done differently, get a manicure and a pedicure. That will help or maybe even a good body massage.

Those are things that helped me get thru the restlessness and the urges.

Thanks for those responses. I have done the cleaning thing the last few days...when I got tired of pacing and looking at the car keys, I attacked the floor with a vengeance that should have worn it down to the foundation, lol. Not yet. But I could get there in a week or so, just give me time!

I'm writing erotica all the time, which is GREAT...it helps my career, of course, to be on a creative streak. But damn, I want to be doing those wild things I write about instead of just writing about them. I baked brownies tonight and suddenly remembered sharing brownies in a very decadent way with a very decadent man, and dammit...I was back to square one again. Frustrated and feeling reckless as hell.

My toys are getting one hell of a workout. :cool:

And it is going to storm, I do believe...the wind is picking up something fierce. So of course every few minutes I have to go outside and wander around out there, feeling the wind and wanting to run right along with it.

Right this very second, I need a good fifth of whiskey, a willing man and a couple of plane tickets to some place warm where nobody knows my name and more importantly, nobody cares.

Gotta love cabin fever, dontcha?

S.

hmm i think you should just send all distractions away ( kids with ur partner/parents ) hop into a really nice warm bath,maybe start touching places:devil:
by the time your done you wont remember you were feeling wreckless in the first place
haha
just my opinion but nothing like self-loving to clear your mind:devil: :heart:

*edit*
gold coast australia is Very nice and warm now! not to mention complete paradise with a lot of willing aussie guys:devil:

Last edited:
horny_boi said:
hmm i think you should just send all distractions away ( kids with ur partner/parents ) hop into a really nice warm bath,maybe start touching places:devil:
by the time your done you wont remember you were feeling wreckless in the first place
haha
just my opinion but nothing like self-loving to clear your mind:devil: :heart:

Self-loving helps take the edge off. Usually. Until now...now it just seems to make me more restless than I was before. :(

Maybe I just need to do it more. :devil:

S.

horny_boi said:
*edit*
gold coast australia is Very nice and warm now! not to mention complete paradise with a lot of willing aussie guys:devil:

Ummm...

Willing, and with an Australian accent?

You have no idea what that idea just did to me. Seriously. ;)

S.

oh im so sorry sheath!

Oh you do not want to hear me right now then cause i assume i have an aussie accent and oh i am soooooooooo willing:p :rolleyes: ;)

horny_boi said:
oh im so sorry sheath!

Oh you do not want to hear me right now then cause i assume i have an aussie accent and oh i am soooooooooo willing:p :rolleyes: ;)

You aren't sorry. ;)

*sighing* Jeez, now it's all just a little worse. lol

S.

sheath said:
You aren't sorry. ;)

*sighing* Jeez, now it's all just a little worse. lol

S.
crikey you got me im not sorry:eek:
but it would be my pleasure to keep making it worse for you:devil: :D
if you dont mind that is :p

horny_boi said:
crikey you got me im not sorry:eek:
but it would be my pleasure to keep making it worse for you:devil: :D
if you dont mind that is :p

The whole point of this thread is to make it BETTER, not WORSE.

Though the Australian accent thing still has me intrigued. I might love to hear that one day. ;)

Any suggestions other than willing men from Down Under?

S.

Im kinda getting the idea
this wreckless feeling kinda ties in with some OTHER feelings?

well im a guy so i dont know if this would help but.. i usually just go do some weights, nice long run and punching the crap outa boxing bag but that might not be your thing:rolleyes: or if im feeling more wreckless i like to drag ( My Skyling R34 IS SOOOOO YUMMY I COULD EAT HER:eek: Yes.. i named my car..shes a she!)sorry another guy anwser :rolleyes:
hmmms you could play with a seductive aussie..oh no wait.. You already turned my idea down already;)

sorry im all out of ideas:eek: :(

haha if you give up trying to make it better you can pm me and i'll make it sooooooo much worse that it'll be better in the very end:devil: :cool:

horny_boi said:
well im a guy so i dont know if this would help but.. i usually just go do some weights, nice long run and punching the crap outa boxing bag but that might not be your thing:rolleyes: or if im feeling more wreckless i like to drag ( My Skyling R34 IS SOOOOO YUMMY I COULD EAT HER:eek: Yes.. i named my car..shes a she!)sorry another guy anwser :rolleyes:

I like those ideas...physical exhaustion seems to be the only way I can sleep lately, and exercise helps with that.

I think it's not so much a physical feeling...though it is...as it is a mental and emotional need. If that makes sense. I'm not sure how to elaborate, other than to say...I need to feel something I'm not feeling right now. I'm restless. It is a vague feeling, that's why I can't describe it accurately.

But I'm willing to do damn near anything to make it go away!

S.

hmm ok enough playing around;)

I think i actually have an idea where your coming from,
however. . . i have not found the solution as of yet
I find i feel kind of like that when i have been alone thinking of whats missing in my life.. makes me just want instant excitement doing something completly out of character
well i wish you the best of luck! i hope someone can help you more than i could.
Have a nice evening now and dont do anything TOO wreckless!
I have to go to work now:(
/wraps arms around sheath and wont let go
DONT MAKE ME GO TO WORK !!:( :( :( :(
sigh sigh sigh
bye bye..:rose:

I sometimes get that restless feeling. I think it has to do with your feeding-the-soul thread, actually (at least for me). It usually comes about during the times when my soul has become static. I'll have a half a dozen things to do, but none of them really satisfies. I just want to do something to crack open my life and break me out of the routine.

Perhaps it's a part of your healing in a way that you haven't touched on. Maybe you are getting bored with dealing with it. It's not a crisis of faith any more, it's just another tricky day to be managed like any other. I'm not sure if that makes sense. You're back to being comfortable with yourself and are ready to move on to something that makes you feel alive.

What makes your soul feel alive?

sheath said:

I think it's not so much a physical feeling...though it is...as it is a mental and emotional need. If that makes sense. I'm not sure how to elaborate, other than to say...I need to feel something I'm not feeling right now. I'm restless. It is a vague feeling, that's why I can't describe it accurately.

But I'm willing to do damn near anything to make it go away!

S.

hi sheath :)

believe it or not, this is soooooo normal!
this is your brain/mind/whatever you like to call it, relearning being solo!!!

remember, you have had all that time being part of a couple - knowing that there was always someone there who you could open your mouth and speak to whenever you needed or wanted.
now, things are different - you're alone, and your brain has to relearn HOW to be alone.

and although you have friends you can chat to whenever you feel you need to, it is NOT the same as having the intimate communication that you get with a partner.

now that you are solo, you have to learn to be intimately alone also.

it's not easy, but your brain is just trying to fill in the 'gaps' in your communication - and one of the ways it manifests is in heightened awareness of 'nothingness'.
this means that when you least expect it, your brain will be trying to organise thoughts and desires..... including sexual desire..... and you will be very aware of them until your brain can figure a way to 'file' these feelings and emotions.

it's like you're 'breaking a habit' - only this habit was inclusive of another person's involvement.

and as with all 'lifestyle changes' (think DIET, or quitting smoking) it will take some time.
but one day soon you will be at the point where it's just 'happened' and you're no longer tormented by uncontrollable thought response.

gosh, i really hope that makes sense - i am sooooo deep into this flu that i'm not even sure if i'm awake right now!

:rose:

Last edited:
Ya know, I've been thinking about this some more. Mine usually come about when all of my creative energy is directed at things that don't give immediate positive feedback. There are times when I need to do pretty much nothing but focus on slinging bits for weeks on end. My wife leaves me to it because she's afraid of getting poked in the eye by a flying 1 (or bludgened by a stray 0). Sooner or later I've drawn my emotional back account down to zero, and I need to recharge.

Dealing with the breakup, taking responsibility for the kids emotional welfare, doing the mommy thing 24/7, and all that jazz is a lot of responsibility with no time to decompress. Writing erotica into a computer that doesn't talk back, and staring at a Lit screen during your downtime don't help if you're a social creature starved for face to face time with people who want nothing from you more than to have a good time and maybe even to please you.

Well, back to the bit mine.

Go out and do something daring--nothing too dangerous, just enough to get your adrenaline going.

Try doing one of those rock climbing walls, or maybe go for a hot air balloon ride. If you are really daring, you might want to try one of those skydiving places where they strap you to an experienced jumper, or if you are near some water, try parasailing.

And if none of those are feasable, hand your kids over to family or friends for the weekend, gas up your car and take a little road trip. Having a change of scenery, even if only for a couple of days, is bound to help a little.

Ya know, self loving is fine and all, but doesn't compare to the intimacy and sharing and skin to skin of a partner. I do know that restless feeling and I would put on some music, the louder the better, and dance around the room until I was exhausted.......or call a friend and go round for coffee or a wine and have a bitch about being alone. Though my situation was a little different in that I knew when Gil and I would be getting together (or back together) the waiting was so hard for us.....:( :rolleyes:

I can definitely sympathise with you. Sometimes I feel like I'm bouncing around inside my own head.
It definetly has an unpleasant edge to it.

Physical activity is the only thing that helps me - pure body draining intense physical activity. Sometimes sex helps a little and so do other distractions like cooking, cleaning ect. But those things are really just distractions and help take the edge off.

The only thing that helps me is to find a very physical activity that matches or exceeds the intensity of the wanderlust, or angst.

Remember the scene in Forest Gump where they were on the shrimp boat in the storm? That's close to what I mean.

Here are a couple things that work for me. Kayaking in ocean on a stormy day. The wind and stormy seas require 100% of my physical and mental attention. Skiing fast through tight trees. Again 100% of my mental and physical ability. Those are my top two. Hiking in Grizzly country works as well, but unless you live in the rockies that one is out.

I live such a mundane live these days. So little of what I do is actually dangerous or intense. Virtually nothing requires a real 100% physical and mental comitment. That's a little sad really. Because after you have encountered the Griz, or paddled a couple hours in stormy water - or anything dangerous and intense I can promise you this much;

The blood in your veins flows sweeter and richer and more alive.

That's the only way I know the beat back the angst.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I'm still with my husband but my heart isn't. I have turned to boards like this just to fill in gaps of time. I love my kids, but just once I daydream. Like the other night I was on my way home and a song came on, "take the wheel and drive, leave it all behind". I would never do that but it's so tempting to keep driving and play hooky from life. I even took a vacation last month but the planning and the 'babysitting' of my sister blew the whole trip. I want to go somewhere where no one knows me and just have unadulterated fun. I never will, but I want to. :eek:

Sheath, I am going to try to answer this in the same spirit with which you put the question out, though my inner smartass has just not had enough to do yet today and is itching to flex his muscles.

You've gotten some excellent readings from falkieri, missingmeds,warrior queen and pplwatching. This does seem to be a case of your inner life rebalancing itself. In the long run, I'm not sure I can add much to what they have already told you. Thus a few, more or less random thoughts.

I must be leading a much more sedate inner life than you right now because when I got a major case of the inner restlessnes you describe, I started reading and posting to Lit. Oh, and finding someone here with whom to share my inner restlessness had made a huge difference, though now that has created its own little inner world where a different kind of restlessness sometimes takes over.

Consider making a list of all the things you fear doing and then randomly pick one and dare yourself to do what's necessary to strike it off the list.

You make intangibles for a living and you make crafty things for relaxation. All are structured, patterned, done by design. Consider making something completely unstructured. Consider teaching yourself how to arc weld so you can make an abstract sculpture for your back yard. Something that will stand up to the strong winds you so enjoy.

Remember the movie Freaky Friday (all three versions of which are on my personal list of the world's worst, but that's another thread entirely)? Spend a few hours living the life of one of your children. Not sure how, but it might be worth a try just to put your mind in a totally different place.

Rent a rubber room somewhere and wear out your lungs with primal screams.

Take yourself and all your favorite toys to a cheap motel, pleasure yourself into a mad frenzy and complete exhaustion, and getting some chinese takeout before checking out.

Make a list of the ten movies you would love to see again, rent them all, make a ton of popcorn, and waste an entire day having your own film festival.

Walk part of the Appalachian trail.

Consider learning zen or yoga. If you know these, learn how to take apart a motorcycle and put it back together. And if you screw it up badly enough, give it to FK as a final parting gift. (Sorry - the inner smartass just would not be denied)

As I'm starting to get ridiculous, I'll turn the thread over to finer and more earth-bound minds.

:rose:

Last edited:
sheath said:
My toys are getting one hell of a workout. :cool:

Must be my turn to blush again LOL.

S. I know this feeling everyday. I want to pack up and run. Do something stupid and crazy and young. Make noise, be wild, piss into the wind kind of feelings.

Usually when this happens I have to just go, I can't sit here and look at the world I have created around me. And if that means the kids get to spend a weekend with grandma then that's what has to happen. I pack the car and some clothes and set out to find something, anything.

I love doing this. Driving the backroads, far from the Interstate..staying in those crappy $15 a night motels in the middle of nowhere, walking into a small town cafe and eating while the natives wonder who I am. As that Chicks song put it.."I want to be the only one, for miles and miles." The best peace I ever found during one of my episodes was to run away to Wyoming and rent a little cabin in the middle of tim-buck-nowhere. It felt good to be alone, without the distractions that come into my life everyday at home. And usualy in a couple of days I feel like I can come back home and face life again.

I remember when i first started coming to Lit and spent most of my time just lurking and reading the boards a woman that spent a whole month traveling the US and meeting up with Lit friends. I never did hear how that turned out, but seemed like as kinky as some of us can be (and are) this could be one wild adventure.

I guess the point I was trying to make...(because I find myself asking this same question alot)...Is it because you want to feel exctiement and thrill...or is it because you want to escape being there with all the things that remind you of what has happened?
Certainly, one can not lay blame for wanting to run away, but is it running to run or simply wanting to run to get away from what is the real problem under the surface?

OK..so I suck as a therapist. But I know that when I get that restless feeling that is what I go through. Certainly as relationships grow, my perspective on this changes. But life is about change. Never will be the same thing twice.
And I wonder if the "Aussie accent" has the same affect as the one I get for the cute girls from the deep south? LOL

Hang in there....One step at a time...
B:nana:

I definitely know where you're coming from. I recommend tango classes or some other kind of ballroom dancing. It really helps get out some of that energy and it's great exercise. I also recommend jazz and poetry or painting. Eases the mind.

Back