So...how do you decide to change an avatar?

sheath

Literotica Guru
Here's my quandry.

I have an avatar that I absolutely love. The picture defines a part of my soul...however, it also holds some pretty rough memories. That avatar is one that my ex encouraged me to use, and it is his favorite painting/picture.

So, I'm thinking of changing my avatar. To something involving a guitar, of course. (Gee, imagine THAT, huh?) I have one in particular in mind already...I might post it here and see what you guys think first. Anyway.

My questions are:

How important are avatars to you? If someone has had the same avatar for a very long time, like I have, does it bother you to see it changed?

Thanks as always...

S.

FF looks to see if the digi cam is still in the glovebox of the truck..You supply the guitar S and I will supply the camera. :devil:

For me, it was a lot of different things that lead me to change. I got bored with looking at my AV over time, and after my meltdown it was like that one thing I could change and control.

Certainly in your case it is another of those little things that needs to be done to exercise the demon of fuck face from your life. When you find the right one that fits you, you will know it.

I am sure whatever you choose will be welcomed, and stared at for a few hours :rose:

FF

Do what makes you feel good. *smile* I change my avatar almost every day... I always choose something that I like or that makes me feel beautiful, and you should do the same thing.

firefighter02 said:
For me, it was a lot of different things that lead me to change. I got bored with looking at my AV over time, and after my meltdown it was like that one thing I could change and control.

Certainly in your case it is another of those little things that needs to be done to exercise the demon of fuck face from your life. When you find the right one that fits you, you will know it.

Thanks for that, FF. It is one of those borderline things...I like the AV, but it holds memories I don't like...so...awww, hell. Who knows.

My main concern is concerning the comments I get...quite a few people know me by the AV, not the name, really. I've had it now for almost two years.

So...opinions, opinions? Anybody ever changed an AV after a really long period of time?

S.

vixenshe said:
Do what makes you feel good. *smile* I change my avatar almost every day... I always choose something that I like or that makes me feel beautiful, and you should do the same thing.

Your AVs are always very distinctive, and always reflect YOU. :)

I especially like what I think of as the 'coy eyes' avatar...damn, girl. Beauty personified. :rose:

S.

Me? I'm lazy. And it took me long enough to find, edit, and finally figure out how to animate friggin' gifs that I'll be unlikely to change this one for a LONG time.

You? I'm used to the one you have, but at the same time there have been moments where I wondered how long it would take for you to ask this very question.

Honey, if you were to change your av, you would choose something that represents you just as much as the one that's there now. And we would quickly recognize that and our minds would shift to expect that one.

You're just that important to lit.

Ang

CelticFrog said:
Me? I'm lazy. And it took me long enough to find, edit, and finally figure out how to animate friggin' gifs that I'll be unlikely to change this one for a LONG time.

You? I'm used to the one you have, but at the same time there have been moments where I wondered how long it would take for you to ask this very question.

Honey, if you were to change your av, you would choose something that represents you just as much as the one that's there now. And we would quickly recognize that and our minds would shift to expect that one.

You're just that important to lit.

Ang

Thanks, Ang. *blushing*

I feel as though I have outgrown this particular one...it still 'defines' me in a way, but it also defines the woman who was with the Music Man, and that woman is no longer the same person. If that all makes sense.

Does it annoy you to see an avatar changed?

S.

sheath said:
Your AVs are always very distinctive, and always reflect YOU. :)

I especially like what I think of as the 'coy eyes' avatar...damn, girl. Beauty personified. :rose:

S.

My avs personify me, because they ARE me!

*grin*

sheath said:

Does it annoy you to see an avatar changed?

S.

No... because people change. I don't typically browse with them on as I am in a fairly public setting when I'm online, namely the architorture studio, though I do check them when I read a compliment or comment about one.

However, I can see where it can be disconcerting to not see one that people are familar with.

My vote is to change it. People will get used to it, and it will still be that sexy redheaded writer who loves music and guitars.:rose:

TNRkitect2b said:
My vote is to change it. People will get used to it, and it will still be that sexy redheaded writer who loves music and guitars.:rose:

:)

You are wonderful, Sir Brian. Thanks. :)

S.

sheath said:

You are wonderful, Sir Brian. Thanks. :)

S.

ya know... I do have a bottle or two of Gentleman Jack stored up, and I can get some lemons ;) though I prefer my Gentleman neat. :p

You are quite welcome :rose:

TNRkitect2b said:
ya know... I do have a bottle or two of Gentleman Jack stored up, and I can get some lemons ;) though I prefer my Gentleman neat. :p

You are quite welcome :rose:

Wow...you remembered my fondness for the Gentleman! That made me smile tonight. :)

And don't worry about the lemons. I'll bring those. ;)

S.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

:: pouts ::

But a change can be good, there are other parts of you that isn't music men, find something else that completly suites you ... we know you will

:rose:

BlueSugar said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

:: pouts ::

But a change can be good, there are other parts of you that isn't music men, find something else that completly suites you ... we know you will

:rose:

Oh, no worries...

It will definitely be a guitar. Probably with a sexy, wanton man holding it. ;)

S.

sheath said:
Oh, no worries...

It will definitely be a guitar. Probably with a sexy, wanton man holding it. ;)

S.

::coos and quiets:: oooooKaaaay!

I can see a poll being started...

"Help pick sheath's new avatar... Vote Today!"

Of course, it IS after all election year in the US and voting seems to be pretty damn popular...

Ang

Originally posted by sheath
How important are avatars to you? If someone has had the same avatar for a very long time, like I have, does it bother you to see it changed?

Thanks as always...
S.

I change my AV as my mood changes, so to speak. I use a lot of my friend's art as AVs, but sometimes, when he doesn't have anything new, I put up a picture of myself. :)

If your current AV holds bad memories for you, I suggest changing it to something that will be a fresh start! :D

Last edited:
An avatar attaches a visual image to the words that you write; for those of us who paint pictures with words, the addition of a memorable picture to go with it says, as the saying goes, a thousand words more.

When I can post up an avatar, it'll be of me; not the me that a camera might capture, but rather the me that represents who I see myself as.

But then again, I dabble in artistry, and as such, am wont to indulge in fanciful renditions of the spirit.

Avatars are like taken names; we choose them to stand in for us when we are not present. Labels without explanation save what we interpret, and everyone comes away with a different interpretation.

Some of the folks here post pictures of themselves; others, pictures that they enjoy. For each person their avatar is different; for you, if the one you have brings you somewhere that causes you sorrow or pain, it's high time to change it, indeed.

How about a piece of sheet music, with a guitar superimposed upon it?

-CoyoteTales (off to bed...)

sheath said:
My questions are:

Thanks as always...

S.

Avatars are irrelevant to me. I don't have AV's on. Not because I am in a public setting and not because I have to worry about anyone looking over my shoulder - but simply because I don't like to have them on. Same with sig. lines. It creates too much input for me to have to wade through and gives me a headache. The only time I see someone's AV is when I look at their profile - which I usually only do if someone makes a comment about it, or they have stimulated my interest in some way. I rarely see the AV as an extension of the poster - I only see their words.

No, it wouldn't bother me - odds are I wouldn't notice.

I change mine every 1000 posts or so. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

CelticFrog said:
I can see a poll being started...

"Help pick sheath's new avatar... Vote Today!"

Of course, it IS after all election year in the US and voting seems to be pretty damn popular...

Ang

Actually, with registrations down and voting levels dropping every year since 1964, I'm not sure about this. But, that's a thread of a whole 'nuther color, isn't it?

Anyway, onto the subject of avatars and personality.

I have a small assortment that I select from based on my mood. Sometimes that is a steady thing for weeks at a time (as now), and sometimes I make a few changes in a week's time.

Sheath, we would know you with a different av, and for that matter would recognize you even if you created a whole new Lit identity (quality thinking and writing always show through). At the same time, if you have unpleasant associations with this one, I'd can it in a minute in favor of almost anything else.

My suggestion (which is worth exactly what you're paying for it), would be to create an assortment of possibilities and try each of them out until one fits like a comofortable boot.

mwy

midwestyankee said:
My suggestion (which is worth exactly what you're paying for it), would be to create an assortment of possibilities and try each of them out until one fits like a comofortable boot.

mwy

I created an assortment last night, Ang created a LARGE assortment for me...(she seems very eager to erase any and all vestiges of the Music Man, who can blame her?)

So now all I have to do is play around with them and choose one. :)

S.

Back