plus size yoga?

boston_bbw

Really Really Experienced
Any of you plus size ladies or yoga instructors ever hear of a plus size yoga class? I have been looking for some time but to no avail..

I'm plus-sized, and I go to a regular yoga class. My instructor is amazed at my muscle-strength and tone (it's hidden away under my cushioning, but my ability in the class is a giveaway). Also, if you're feeling less than comfortable going into a regular yoga class, PM me, and I'll give you a couple good yoga video names, one of which is designed specifically for weight-loss.

Good luck!

I found something called a *gentle yoga* class. It's mainly for relaxation, but we do all the standard poses. Our instructor really stresses that you go at your own pace, saying that it's all about knowing oneself, etc., ect. I imagine that would be true of just about any yoga class.

And oh yeah, not only am I BBW, but I'm also 8 months pregnant. I think it's a great choice and I hope you find a class you are comfortable with.

My yoga instructor is a BIG guy...he doesnt seem to have a problem with any of the poses....

Same here...my yoga instructor was plus-sized, and she was great. If you're worried about your ability to do poses, i wouldn't be. A good yoga instructor will make sure that no one is over-doing it and will help you modify the poses for injuries, etc. If you're worried about feeling self-conscious, you might want to stop by a couple different places to observe class and check out the students before signing up....avoiding the "Yoga is super-trendy!!" crowd. Plus, yoga is tough so EVERYBODY struggles and looks silly, so you wouldn't stand out no matter what your body type.

Yoga is like a lot of different types of exercise: those who have been doing it for quite some look good at it. The rest of us look less than gorgeous.

Seriously, the first few times I tried yoga I felt clumsy, off-balance, and awkward. Everyone else seemed to be able to hold the positions and move so evenly and smoothly! No, I'm not a small person, not by any stretch of the imagination, and I thought that had something to do with it. However, the more I stayed with it, the more my body became adjusted to the positions and moves, the more graceful and limber I felt.

If I were you, I would check out a few classes first. Get a feel more for the instructor than the people in the class. If you feel a little weird, stay in the back. Trust me, most people are so into what they are doing, they don't take notice of the people around unless it's to keep from bumping them.

Instructors will tell you to take it easy. They will warn you about overdoing something and not to take on too much. The instructors I've had have always been very concerned that people realize if they need to take a break that they stop for a few moments, get a drink of water, etc

I had the same feelings as you BBW..... and I agree with the others....the yogie will assist you in all your movements..... I found a better relationship with my body by praticing yoga.....I need to get back to it..... no matter what limitations we put upon ourselves, yoga has none!

:rose:

If you want a little humour to go into yoga with, here goes:

My Man is 6'5, well-muscled, a hockey player, etc. He's got a little bit of a tummy on him (which I adore, and am rueing it's dissolution), but he's generally a pretty fit, pretty limber guy.

One day, I asked him to do yoga with me. He didn't want to go to the class, and look silly, so we did it at home, using a tape I own. While I was standing there, sweating up a storm, he didn't have any sweat on him... and then we started doing poses like "proud warrior", etc... he kept falling over! This guy who can balance perfectly while going backwards on roller blades or ice skates, was falling over, standing on his own two feet! *grin* It made me feel great that, with all of his physical prowess, I was doing this better than him....

At the end of it, he admitted that it was more difficult to do 45 minutes of yoga, than to play an entire hockey game.

:D

I'm plus sized, and the most important thing regarding yoga, for me, is feeling comfortable where I am.

As soon as you feel comfortable, and begin to feel the rewarding benefits of yoga, things will go smoothy.

Back