Please HELP ME!!!???

There is a company called lavasoft, whose website is their name plus the usual dot com, that makes a very good program for detecting and removing spyware and other nasty critters that are not viruses but cause all sorts of damage nonetheless.

This program, which is called Adaware, is available for free. I use it regularly and it works very well. Other similar programs are also available; if you do a search on "spyware" I'm sure you'll pull up a few others if you're interested in some comparisons.

Isn't Alexa the spy ware that comes with IE?

Anyway Ad-aware will safely remove it.

If you do any kind of up grade to IE you probably will get it back.

I have no doubt you will find other spy-ware also.

Everyone should use an anti-spy ware program at least once a month.

If you have shareware programs on your computer be careful what you get rid of. If you remove the spy, ad-ware from them many will stop working.

I paid money for some programs to replace some shareware programs as well as some freeware programs to avoid all of the bullshit.

Vampintraining said:

(Probably the only non-sex related post on the How-to Board!):eek:

I'd offer to come over and jack off on your computer if you think it would help. :D

Sorry..just had to do it. :)

FF

Another tip- don't use IE for your internet browser.
Everyone write hacks and spyware for IE, have yet to see any that Mozilla actually let through.
Mozilla

No pop ups, no spy ware, and faster load times. Uses the same plug ins that Netscape does (cause its by the same guys who did Netscape) and its very very easy to use.
That coupled with Ad-aware will work wonders. If you're still getting trash- snag a copy of "Zone Alarm" to use as a fire wall.

Re: Thank You

Vampintraining said:
Thank you for all your help! I think it's *almost* gone- all the scanners for spyware say that it is clear but the homepage keeps resetting itself every time the computer starts...Go figure...:confused:

If you still have your homepage being reset, you really haven't gotten rid of it at all.

Go here and read through and it will tell you how to get rid of what has hijacked your system/homepage.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

Spyware is something you might want to use multiple detectors on. I use spybot search and destroy and ad aware, and quite frankly no matter which one I run first the second picks up something the first missed. Usualy cookies which both programs rate as low risk, but occasionaly something worse.

Both programs are freeware and can be found with a web search. One of the programs will find the others backup but I've never had a problem with it.

Since I like to look at the bizaare I was wondering, antispyware programs seem to be designed and produced by people who simply hate it and for the most part would rather see spyware gone then make a buck. This is good for us, it seems to bother people more then a virus in some cases.

But I'm wating for one of the companies that produces spyware to file suit against one of the antispyware people for 1st admendment issues.

Some general advice, downloading any free game is an invitation to spyware, erotic games are a demand for spyware.

And I can't wait for the first spyware virus.

Ad-Aware is a great program, but I agree with the earlier comment about trying more than one program. My homepage got hijacked and, although Ad-Aware found loads of stuff, it didn't solve that problem.

Try CWShredder for hijacked homepages. It solved the problem for me. Sorry, don't know a website, but I'm sure you can get it at download.com.

Thank you from me too! I had a friend who was having the same problems, and thanks to everyone's advice in this thread, we were able to fix them.

Back