Avatars and the impressions we give

TheEarl

Occasional visitor
Inspired by Dr Mabeuse and Joe's av.

What kind of impressions do we give each other on the board? IRL, impressions are all about how we look, how we act, what kind of signals our body language gives. On Lit, however, all we have to go on is our words and opinions, our choice of nom-de-plume and of course our avatars.

It's very difficult to judge someone from the wording of their posts, especially when you are reading a debate and the post isn't actually directed towards you. Understanding who people really are on Lit takes time and usually long PM conversations. So do we make assumptions based on trivialities such as avatars and sigs.

I like Impressive. I don't know her as a friend, but I've seen her around the boards and I know I like having her around. Is this because she has said something particularly astute, or because I noticed her avatar of "Sorry, I'm late for church, I was busy practising witchcraft and becoming a lesbian."

Dr M mentioned that one of the reasons Joe receives such a backlash is because his avatars show what appears to be a very smug college boy and this colours people's opinions of what he writes.

What do my avatars relating to sitcoms say about me? How does your avatar change how people react to you?

Intrigued,

The Earl

I get PMs of complaint when I change my AV to another version of me.

My AV is familiar and reasonably representative except that I don't normally dress so fashionably, nor do I colour my white beard.

What does my AV suggest to you?

Og

Ok, Lou's gonna break through and be serious for a mo...

I think my use of this ID and this AV from time to time can be seen as a case study of the exact phenomena you speak of, Earl.

I'd bet my left nipple stud that when people see me post as Shock Chick, and read my posts as "her" they perceive me differently than they do when I post as Tatelou. Then again, maybe they don't, because the lines are blurred. It is still the same person posting, I am merely presenting myself in a different light. I do that on purpose, to come out and play, if you like.

Admittedly, I do put on a front on the rare ocassions I'm Shock Chick, and when I am Tatelou I'm just me, no element of trying to be something other than myself there. But, having said that, Shock Chick is still me, she's just a part of me I choose to surpress most of the time.

I bet a pschyo-analyst could have a field day with some of us. :D

As for the AVs of others and whether or not it moulds my judgement of them in anyway, probably, yes.

Earl, I like the ones you use and I think they do reflect who you are well, and I always recognise who they are. I am English, though.

Another one I just have to point out is Lew. I know exactly why he uses that AV and it does portray who he is and his personality very well. I do often wonder how others perceive it, and wonder if they get it. That makes me laugh, as do many of the comments he gets. :D

I could drone on about this kind of shit for hours, but I'll spare you all. :p

Lou ;)

oggbashan said:
I get PMs of complaint when I change my AV to another version of me.

My AV is familiar and reasonably representative except that I don't normally dress so fashionably, nor do I colour my white beard.

What does my AV suggest to you?

Og

Ah, dearest Og, your avatar suggest you to be not a knight, but a King of the Round Table... I imagine dancing ladies and mead for everyone, chivalry and abundant laughter, warm sun and warmer hugs, a fanciful kingdom full of wood sprites and centaurs...

I'm inclined to agree with Shock Chick aka Tatelou.

A different AV and a different username produces different responses even when I make it clear that Jeanne is Og.

Fag-Ash Lil feels left out. She hasn't got an AV yet and my story about her deters romantic approaches.

Jeanne, er, Og, er, Fag-Ash - work it out yourself.

TheEarl said:
I like Impressive. I don't know her as a friend, but I've seen her around the boards and I know I like having her around. Is this because she has said something particularly astute, or because I noticed her avatar of "Sorry, I'm late for church, I was busy practising witchcraft and becoming a lesbian."

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: She likes you, too!

LadyJeanne said:
Ah, dearest Og, your avatar suggest you to be not a knight, but a King of the Round Table... I imagine dancing ladies and mead for everyone, chivalry and abundant laughter, warm sun and warmer hugs, a fanciful kingdom full of wood sprites and centaurs...

I appreciate that but as Henry VIII I was what Lou's daughters call a BAD man. My court was a dangerous place to be and far removed from the image you have.

Henry was an absolute monarch and behaved like a war lord. Disagreeing with him could be fatal.

He did like women...

Og

I'm not even going to go into Rideme Cowgirl. Literally or figuratively.:D

I hope that my AV's portray that I am funloving, not too shy, a bit mysterious and playful as well as the obvious. That being, that I can be flirty and as my ID says Wicked-N-Erotic.

I see other peoples AV's as a self expression of their personality, I don't make judgements about a person based on their AV. I've not even made a judgement about someone about a post they have made.

People are people....full of emotions and feelings. Thank god we are not all alike:D

Wicked:kiss:

P.S.

Your AV's, Earl, are always a joy to see...they express you well. I especially miss the one of you with the red and white checked hat and outfit.:p

oggbashan said:
I appreciate that but as Henry VIII I was what Lou's daughters call a BAD man. My court was a dangerous place to be and far removed from the image you have.

Henry was an absolute monarch and behaved like a war lord. Disagreeing with him could be fatal.

He did like women...

Og

So the reality is more dark and dangerous than the fantasy...is your image more dark and dangerous than your real self?

LadyJeanne said:
So the reality is more dark and dangerous than the fantasy...is your image more dark and dangerous than your real self?

I'd like to be as fun-loving as your impression of me. The reality is more BORING than my real self and nearly as boring as some of my posts.

Og

;)

I enjoy your AVs, Earl, except the vampire one. You know that. In choosing "Jeff", and formerly the twat from 'Scrubs', I thought them spot on with re. to your Lit. persona, and a bit the real you. Mostly your AVs reveal how well you can have a larf at your expense, I like that.

A long, long time ago I thought Gauche's AV suited him very well and liked when he enhanced it for a holiday time. Precious, indeed. (I hope he saved his twat heart.)

I haven't posted a pic of myself in a while cos I'm very much feeling distanced from this place, or not quite at home anymore.

I need to find a photo of Mrs. Batty.

luv, Pear :rose:

Well, I try not to judge a person by their AV. If I did, I would never be able to take certain people, especially goofy cartoon characters, seriously. :D

As with age (alt thread) I don't particularly consider either. I try to respond on the basis of what individuals write in a post, however, I do believe that any choice of AV is a choice to portray at least one aspect of an individual or their mood.

P.S. I think of Lou as Lou, even if shocked sometimes ;) I think only one AV has every really turned my stomach, but that did not affect my opinion of that individual :)

For me the AV does make a difference.

Using Lou/Shocky as an example (sorry Lou), when I'm chatting with Lou I have an idea of what to expect, it's talking with a friend, easy, fun. But when she's Shocky I always feel like I have to be a little on my guard, like I never know what she's gonna do. In my head I know it's the same person on the other end, but the perception is different.

Similarly, when I'm reading a serious political debate, I find it harder to take a person seriously if their AV is a poka dotted dick (Warning: the GB is scarry!). Again, just perception, but that plays a roll in how I craft my responces. If I feel like I'm talking to an polka dotted dick I probablly will dumb down my responces a little (not that they could be much dumber).

As to what an evil duck says about me? I don't know, what do you think? (I hope it's better than a polka dotted dick). :rolleyes:

rhinoguy said:
I am bit disappointed how many people say they are not affected by AVs.

Affected? Hell, yes! There are some damned YUMMY avatars here -- as well as some ornery ones and some funny ones.

I am more apt to form opinions about someone, however, by what they SAY (write) than a little picture.

rhinoguy said:
I am bit disappointed how many people say they are not affected by AVs.

or don't make judgements based on them.

(which i think is a lie...i feel it HAS to color an impression............even just a pale shade of pastel)

Making a judgement is different than looking at an AV and seeing that a person has chosen something that means to them. I look at an AV and see that a person has chosen to represent an aspect of themselves on the basis of their choice. An AV is not the total person, it is a partial representation, and it says, to me, something about that individuals personality or interests, but it does not make me judge them per say.

impressive said:
I am more apt to form opinions about someone, however, by what they SAY (write) than a little picture.

The choice of AV may be a clue to the person's character or may be their wishful thinking.

What we know about anyone here can only be deduced from what they say, and 'they' may be compulsive liars.

I am not the reincarnation of a very old King, nor Henry VIII, nor a 14th century lady with a dubious past, nor Fag-Ash Lil.

I say that I am a happily married man with 3 adult daughters who engages in local politics and owns a secondhand book shop.

How do you know whether any of that is true?

All you can know is your impression of my words. My stories? I write them for an audience, sometimes a very specific audience. You cannot tell for certain from my stories whether I like particular sexual activities or not, only that my writing has a particular trend.

I do like chasing Lou's backside, but she and I know that I wouldn't do anything with it if I caught up with her.

Og

cheerful_deviant said:
For me the AV does make a difference.

Using Lou/Shocky as an example (sorry Lou), when I'm chatting with Lou I have an idea of what to expect, it's talking with a friend, easy, fun. But when she's Shocky I always feel like I have to be a little on my guard, like I never know what she's gonna do. In my head I know it's the same person on the other end, but the perception is different.

Yup, that's exactly what I was getting at, and what I expected. That's so cool. :cool:

Yes, I can be evil, too. ;) :kiss:

Similarly, when I'm reading a serious political debate, I find it harder to take a person seriously if their AV is a poka dotted dick (Warning: the GB is scarry!). Again, just perception, but that plays a roll in how I craft my responces. If I feel like I'm talking to an polka dotted dick I probablly will dumb down my responces a little (not that they could be much dumber).

As to what an evil duck says about me? I don't know, what do you think? (I hope it's better than a polka dotted dick). :rolleyes:

Completely agree! LOL

I think your AV suits you well, btw. It reflects you well: cheeky, naughty, fun, but not to be messed with, either. :)

Lou :rose:

rhinoguy said:
HOWEVER i, personally put a lot of stock in visual cues and clues.

Hmmmm ... might be a gender trait. (Might not.)

Of the five physical senses, I am most influenced by (a) smell, then (b) touch. Hearing (and that could include the written "voice") is next ... then taste ... and lastly, sight.

Given that (a) and (b) aren't typically available on a message board, my primary sense here is that written voice.

Back