Birth Control Pill Question

Learning81

Virgin
I've been a fan of this site for several years now but this is my first time posting.

This morning I went and got birth control pills for the first time ever from Planned Parenthood. My question is, how long do I need to take the pill until it becomes effective in preventing pregnancies.

The brochure from Planned Parenthood said to use a back-up method of birth control for the first 14 days.

BUT the little package that came from the manufacturer of Ortho Tri-Clen Lo said to use a back-up method for 7 days.

So which is it.....7 or 14?

BTW I'm on the "Sunday Start" cycle if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance. :)

I've always heard that it's wise to use a back-up for a MONTH... Better to be safe than sorry.

phoenix1224 said:
I've always heard that it's wise to use a back-up for a MONTH... Better to be safe than sorry.

That's what I always heard too...I've also heard that sometimes it can take up to three months to become totally effective...I guess it just depends on what you read. Personally, I would use a back up method for at least the first month...let the pill get settled into your system...and then have at it after that.

Just as a little side note...which I'm sure you're MORE than aware of having read the directions and all...but just in case....the pill won't protect you from STD's.

I'd play it safe and just use backup (most likely condoms) for the duration of your first pill pack (one month). It takes your body time to adjust to the hormones.

When my doctor prescribed them, he said to use a back up for one month ... just in case. Regardless of what the pill pack might say. That was a moot point for me, as I had them for a different reason ... but it's always better to be safe rather than sorry.

I also vote for one full month. I always used a month as the timeline, even if I skipped a few and had to begin over....always went with other protection until that month was up. I recall this being what most doctors told me. Seemed the safest bet.

Learning81 said:
BTW I'm on the "Sunday Start" cycle if that makes any difference.

Both the manufacturer and PP seem to be suggesting time frames they expect people to find acceptable.

But the Pill regulates your menstrual cycle -- or should -- so that it synchronises with the pill schedule. The only way you can know the particular pill you're taking is regulating your cycle properly is to go through one or two cycles before you trust the pill completely.

You're probably safe following the Planned Parenthood guidelines, and maybe safe following the manufturer's guidline, but waiting until you're sure that the specific pill you're taking works for YOU -- as evidenced by a properly regulated menstrual cycle and a lack of side-effects.

I'd definitely recommend a back-up method for at least the first two mentrual cycles out of simple paranoia.

I was always told about 2 months: 1st cycle for the body to adjust and the 2nd to make sure there are no irregularities.

I have always heard that 2 forms is certainly better than 1 for of BC. I would also like to add that if you do not take the pill at the same time each day, it loses it's effectiveness. Take it right on schedule each day to maintain the hormonal levels.

Take it for a month, same time each day before stopping the use of condoms.
Also- if you're on antibiotics or St John's Wart, it'll screw with the BCP's and may decress thier effectiveness. So be very careful, please.

phoenix1224 said:

yes yes.....its usually about a month before its fully
effective.........I take Yasmin and I was a "Sunday"
starter as well.

Definitely use a back up method of birth control such
as a condom though......you never know.

Back