A call for authors for a chain story

G

Hi everyone. I am participating in the Surivor Contest and one of the categories we must fill is the chain story. Since I can't start a new thread in that forum, I thought this might be the best place to beg for authors to write in the chain.

My idea is "*" Blind Dates, the * being replaced with the number of authors who participate. The idea I have come up with is either tell the story of one person over a series of blind dates or maybe tell the story of a group of friends who go on blind dates. Would anyone be interested in participating? Please? :)

interested authors:
velvetpie
logophile
cantdog
Remec
JohnMorrison
Impressive
doormouse
msboy
she_is_my_addiction

Last edited by a moderator:
impressive said:
Maybe. Possibly. When? Now? Later? Someday?

Ummm.. now, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it now. Once I find out if anyone is even interested, then a schedule will be made up. Of course, you've got to have particpants before you can set dates. ;)

Somehow, I get the feeling that I would be getting better responses if I didn't have an unfamiliar name...

Surely there are some that would like to join the chain?

Sexxy Vixen said:
Somehow, I get the feeling that I would be getting better responses if I didn't have an unfamiliar name...
We're just joking, Vixen. You posted the thread just now, it's still too early to gauge.

Give us some more development of the idea. Who is the person(s) the stolyline will be following, what do you see as being the driving force behind the stories.

It's a Field of Dreams scenario. Give them the details and they will come. :cool:

I understand the joking Lauren. That part doesn't bother me. :) Still it seems you get taken more seriously around here if you've been around awhile. Goes for most places, I guess.

Ok, so the driving point behind the idea is the blind dates. That's the focus of each story. I'd like some input from those who want to participate on whether or not they want one central character to go on each date or if they'd rather create their own character and reason for the blind date.

If we go with one central character, the reason I thought up for why she has to go on these date is because of a stipulation in a family member's (aunt? grandmother?) will. The deceased wants her niece/granddaughter to settle down and get married so she sets up a series of blind dates with men who are considered suitable candidates. The stipulation is the girl has to go on the dates to get the money, but she doesn't have to end up marrying one of them (of course, that doesn't mean that whoever writes the last story can't do so if he/she wishes.)

That's just an idea of course, if anyone else has another idea, I'm all ears.

Sexxy Vixen said:
If we go with one central character, the reason I thought up for why she has to go on these date is because of a stipulation in a family member's (aunt? grandmother?) will. The deceased wants her niece/granddaughter to settle down and get married so she sets up a series of blind dates with men who are considered suitable candidates. The stipulation is the girl has to go on the dates to get the money, but she doesn't have to end up marrying one of them (of course, that doesn't mean that whoever writes the last story can't do so if he/she wishes.)

That's just an idea of course, if anyone else has another idea, I'm all ears.
That could work, and chain stories based on a single character have worked in the past (I'm thinking of the Memoirs of a Lady series, for example), but unless it's a relatively short chain with a very well crafted character, it's difficult to pull of, because it's so limitative. Everyone except the first author will be writing a character they did not create. Add that to a similar situation chapter after chapter, and the result isn't all that attractive to authors or to readers.

Maybe if...

All these people that go on blind dates, it's fair to assume that they go on several of them, right?

So, maybe a more dynamic idea would be if each person followed the datee of the previous story.

For example, you write a story about Jane, who goes on a blind date with Jack. You tell the story from Janes POV (either first person or 3rd person sympathetic, doesn't matter which).

Then Velvetpie, for example, would write the story of Jack's date with the twins Joan and Jill from his point of view.

This scheme would require a bit of coordenation with the previous and the following authors in defining the profile of each character and the outcome of each date, but it's feasable, and I think likely to have a wider variety of results :)

That's a good idea Lauren and definitely does open the way for more variety in the stories.

Sexxy Vixen said:
Hi everyone. I am participating in the Surivor Contest and one of the categories we must fill is the chain story. Since I can't start a new thread in that forum, I thought this might be the best place to beg for authors to write in the chain.

My idea is "*" Blind Dates, the * being replaced with the number of authors who participate. The idea I have come up with is either tell the story of one person over a series of blind dates or maybe tell the story of a group of friends who go on blind dates. Would anyone be interested in participating? Please? :)

interested authors:
velvetpie

I would be interested in participating!

I'll do this one. I'll subscribe to this thread. How do chains work? Is it laden with bizarre deadlines?

LOL, I'll try not to do any bizarre deadlines, though each author will have a certain time table. I believe a schedule has to be submitted with the first story in a chain, though I am not sure if there have to be dates. I'll check on that.

Thanks for those who have shown interest. :)

I would be interested...how about this...

The first part follows our main character on her introduction and then first blind date. then all the parts after that, are from the pov of her date. so we see all her blind dates but from the date's perspective...that way each other creates their own character but it still has the main character in all of them...hows that?

I had a dream I won a writing comp, so it must be an omen to get back into writing.

I'm in.

JohnMorrison said:
I would be interested...how about this...

The first part follows our main character on her introduction and then first blind date. then all the parts after that, are from the pov of her date. so we see all her blind dates but from the date's perspective...that way each other creates their own character but it still has the main character in all of them...hows that?

Intriguing idea.

ChilledVodka said:
Marina Hyde all the way (A blonde babe with massive brain and sense of humour: plus, she didn't look fat on TV)
Please someone find an anagram for Carl East.

You ever hear of speed dating?

What if the chain was based upon that. Like an interview of before and after of the characters. One main person, who takes the interviews in each story, but different "blind" date characters.

Then, maybe one author can take that main person's story as the last story entered.

I don't know...it sounded good in my head, until I wrote it down! :rolleyes:

Honey, I don't quite understand what you are talking about. Probably because I've never heard of speed dating, LOL.

Okay, so obviously, we need to decide on how we are going to do the story before we set up the chain. We've got some good ideas, we just need to decide which one to use. So, how about each person says which idea they like the best?

Sexxy Vixen said:
Honey, I don't quite understand what you are talking about. Probably because I've never heard of speed dating, LOL.

Okay, so obviously, we need to decide on how we are going to do the story before we set up the chain. We've got some good ideas, we just need to decide which one to use. So, how about each person says which idea they like the best?

Speed dating is when you go to a club designated for this type of "dating" - you get to spend 5-10 minutes with a person before a buzzer goes off and you go to the next table.

It's almost like musical chairs.

Back