February Poem Contest

annaswirls

Pointy?
February Poem Contest

Contest Results are in. Take a look at the following links:

Contest Results

Other poems not entered into the contest

Take a look at the following painting by artist Terry Rentzepis:

I uploaded a version reduced in size for those of us who are on dial-up.

small version
large version

Guidelines as decided by pat, liar, anna

1. Write a poem inspired by the painting. That is the only requirement.
2. Submit it to The Poetry Contest PM box by Feb. 20, 2005.
will be one in which liar, patcarrington and annaswirls will be able to access)
3. Preliminary voting Feb 22, 23, 24
4. Finalists posted: Feb. 25
5. Finalists vote Feb. 25, 26, 27
6. Winner announced: on or before March 1.

*Notes*

* "The Poets" i.e. Moderators will be participating in this month as contestants (they deserve a break!)
* Liar, anna and pat will sit this out and take care of the details.
* The moderators have no advantage, no prior knowledge of the painting or -- even Steven.

I felt I had to say this as things sometimes get weird when contests are concerned.

*We will post more details as they come up.

*We will generally be following the format from the first contest.

The Artist:Terry Rentzepis

You can read more about him at his homepage:

website all ten thumbs

After seeing his work on a literary/art website, I contacted him to see if he would be interested in being featured on my website, and then had the idea to use his art as a challenge/contst. Pat and Liar both thought it was a good idea as well!

Terry has given me full permission to use his image for this contest and is excited to see the results.

So are we!

Good luck!

:)

Last edited:
Anna! :p

seems like you have it all worked out. Wish I were so organized.:rose:

hey, did that artist by chance create a doll named lenore? she's a living dead girl, some goth thing my daughter raved about when she was a teen. creepy, yet very interesting pic. This should produce some unique poetry :D

:rose:

m

That's right. Get crackin' folks.

Maria, I think Lenore might be a Tim Burton thing, but I could be wrong.

Most Excellent...

This is great! All though I don't do it here.. on my blog site most of my poems are accompied with a work of art... so this excites me!!! I will make time for the meditation and see what comes forth... wonderful job all you are inspiring!
blessings
Du~:)

Look Anna

I stuck it. :)

And I love the picture. It has about a million possibilities.

Re: Look Anna

Angeline said:
I stuck it. :)

And I love the picture. It has about a million possibilities.

and knowing you, you'll write them all. :)

make sure you ENTER one.

good morning, red. :rose:

Re: Re: Look Anna

PatCarrington said:
and knowing you, you'll write them all. :)

make sure you ENTER one.

good morning, red. :rose:

Hiya Pat. :)

I have to shop and make a lasagna for tonight, but then I'm going to look at that artwork and think. What fun!

Feb. contest organizers

Good Morning all you poets!

Please pm your contributions to this account we created.

Eve has volunteered to provide the gift for this month! A lovely, sexy book of some sort. Thanks Eve!

Best of luck,

l,a,p

Great theme for a contest, and awesome art!

Thank you, Anna, Liar, Pat, and Mr. Terry Rentzepis. :D

One entry per person

WickedEve said:
It's interesting reading. :)
Are we allowed only one entry?

Good question.

Write as many poems as you would like, but please decide by the 20th which one you would like to submit to the competition.

If Eve receives the most votes in the final competition, I will provide a prize for her.

hey hey HEY get that craziness back to the rubber room

save this for questions etc please!

<----anna the thread police without a nightstick

Liar said:
That's right. Get crackin' folks.

Maria, I think Lenore might be a Tim Burton thing, but I could be wrong.

thank you Liar, I should have asked you from the start.:)

Anna, I like the pic too, kinda creepy, well, to me, thats a good thing, ( you know me, right?) and I most certaintly wasnt slamming the art, it's funky, very inspirattional And even though youre not going to participate on the contest, I would love to read whatever that pic might inspire you to write, please? :rose:

m

WickedEve said:
Oh no, I hope my post, which contained a comment about sending the runner up the book, wasn't wrong. I was seriously trying to communicate that to everyone. I may not enter. I've written two poems that I'm not happy with. But either way, I look forward to giving the book to some talented poet. :) No need to respond to this and start a discussion here. I'm just using this post to make it clear once more that since I'm offering the prize, I won't be accepting anything. Actually, I'm not entering but I'll share a poem when the time comes. :)

That does it. I am going to end this right here.

Eve, save your book for when you are running the contest and let Anna get the prize for this one. (Besides, I want a run at that book.)

You have a long time to get written one that is to your liking, and I am certain it will be well received.

TPC

The Poetry Contest said:
That does it. I am going to end this right here.

Eve, save your book for when you are running the contest and let Anna get the prize for this one. (Besides, I want a run at that book.)

You have a long time to get written one that is to your liking, and I am certain it will be well received.

TPC
I apologize. I should have just sent a pm, but since you responded publicly, I will also. I should have asked first if you wanted the book for the contest. I honestly didn't know, at first, you were running the contest, anna. That's my fault for the confusion. I thought Lauren was doing it and using an idea I had. I'm very easy going about things like this. I don't mind using that idea later or the book later. I know we both just want to offer what we can to the poetry community. I think your idea for the contest is outstanding. Feel free to accept my offer. If not, I'll put it back for later. I will not save it for when I'm running the contest as you suggested. I want to offer it to anyone who'd like to offer a prize. I have other books that I'd be happy to donate.
Now, if I may be so bold to suggest, let's write some poetry, people!

Hey Eve :)

The fact that you offered a prize was perfectly wonderful and much appreciated! You did so before p,l and I jumped into Feb blind.

I honestly just want you to be able to participate, I don't want you to feel limited because you offered the prize, anything else is nothing at all.

I never know what is going on, I am afraid to go into the rubber room even, and dang, the whole Feb contest whirled out powered by some strange force. Have you seen Liar's hair? It will never be the same.

oh and how did you know it was me? "Okay that does it" sounds kind of motherly, hmmm, can't imagine pc saying that. and I hope you know it was said in a theatrical manner, my hands on my big hips, dusted apron and hair falling out of my mother bun from somewhere in the 1950's. They don't have a smilie for that.

its all good and of course it is totally up to you, I just want you to be able to play, you know, Mom's night out.

all the best,
anna

I offered to Lauren awhile back before contest #1
that I would donate to the cause, perhaps a
thread to discuss future prizes and contributions...

okay I have my hand up...
oh oh ...oh oh ...pick me!

I love this idea for the contest, pretty cool!
I am probably the only person left in america
with a computer as old as mine. Hince it does not
like pictures and won';t open the small pic.
I couldn't get a lot of AV's to pop up,
which would explain why I hang out at a
written forum/site <big grin>

But ... I think I can find a way! Get it emailed
to me by a friend, and it opens pics in the mail
sometimes <grin> ...

okay ...any way ... thought I'd share that with
you with all the other decisions your making
right now ...
need any help, ...ask!

ps. maybe I could get the picture described to me
then I MAKE my own visuals and play it from there!

when there's a will ...
that means someone died!

Last edited:
impressive said:

done ...done ...what do you mean dUN!
WOW that's Impressive! When your good
it shows, hehehey Imp~

I got the pic, open, bamagirl sent it to me
and it opened <grin> (girl red dress blue flower)

I'm not dun! <laughin>

MET let me give it a try, okay? The artist sent a high quality jpeg, I will work on it. Send me your email, okay?

I am at annaswirls@comcast.net

My Erotic Tale said:
I offered to Lauren awhile back before contest #1
that I would donate to the cause, perhaps a
thread to discuss future prizes and contributions...

okay I have my hand up...
oh oh ...oh oh ...pick me!

I love this idea for the contest, pretty cool!
I am probably the only person left in america
with a computer as old as mine. Hince it does not
like pictures and won';t open the small pic.
I couldn't get a lot of AV's to pop up,
which would explain why I hang out at a
written forum/site <big grin>

But ... I think I can find a way! Get it emailed
to me by a friend, and it opens pics in the mail
sometimes <grin> ...

okay ...any way ... thought I'd share that with
you with all the other decisions your making
right now ...
need any help, ...ask!

ps. maybe I could get the picture described to me
then I MAKE my own visuals and play it from there!

when there's a will ...
that means someone died!

Solution....

WickedEve said:
I apologize. I should have just sent a pm, but since you responded publicly, I will also. I should have asked first if you wanted the book for the contest. I honestly didn't know, at first, you were running the contest, anna. That's my fault for the confusion. I thought Lauren was doing it and using an idea I had. I'm very easy going about things like this. I don't mind using that idea later or the book later. I know we both just want to offer what we can to the poetry community. I think your idea for the contest is outstanding. Feel free to accept my offer. If not, I'll put it back for later. I will not save it for when I'm running the contest as you suggested. I want to offer it to anyone who'd like to offer a prize. I have other books that I'd be happy to donate.
Now, if I may be so bold to suggest, let's write some poetry, people!

If Eve should win I would be happy to donate the prize.. I am the Queen of books lol... and have a great one for her!! So if that helps I would be happy to be a solution to a problem!

Du~:cattail:

Back