anybody tryed Lexepro?

pupper

Really Experienced
My wife was and after three weeks I told her to stop taking them.First of all her emotions and personality went away.than her sex drive stared waning,after just three weeks.Personally I think a valium here and there works better than these long term meds.Any ideas anyone?Has anyone tryed this med,and what were your experience?Or any other Panic/anxietydepression meds I am just curious if any actually work?thanx pup

They work for some, but it is not unusual to have to try a few different types until you find the right one and that is not necessarily a pleasant feeling.
I was on zoloft for about four years until it eventually just stopped working we think. I`ve been on Lexapro for about two months and apart from the first few days being absolutely crap there have been no adverse side effects.
Lexapro is a fairly slow acting drug, I have been told that it can take up to two or more months to become fully effective and for me I am inclined to agree.
If she is having adverse side effects you should really check with her doc as stopping and starting your meds can also screw with your mind too.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
quoll said:
They work for some, but it is not unusual to have to try a few different types until you find the right one and that is not necessarily a pleasant feeling.
I was\on zoloft four about four years until it eventually just stopped working we think. I`ve been on Lexapro for about two months and apart from the first few days being absolutely crap ther have been no adverse side effects.
Lexapro is a fairly slow acting drug, I have been told that it can take up to two or more months to become fully effective and for me I am inclined to agree.
If she is having adverse side affects you should really check with her doc as stopping and starting your meds can also screw with your mind too.
Good Luck.
I haven't tried Lexapro, but have had similar effects from other antidepressants. In all, I've decided they're not worth it unless I'm really a mess/my life is in danger (hopefully that day won't come). I prefer to go the therapy and lifestyle change route when possible, though I know that's not for everyone.

I'm not a doctor and don't know what your wife has, but seeing a psychiatrist who's well-versed in the drugs and other treatments might be a good idea if her doctor doesn't seem to know a lot or isn't responsive about playing around with meds. If anxiety is more the issue, she may be able to get away with an anxiety drug, which may have fewer side effects (at least it did for me...I was on an anti-anxiety and antidepressant, and did well mood wise and sexually when I quit the antidepressant). She should do lots of research on her own so she can really participate in the decision-making process.

You might also consider looking into natural and alternative therapies through a Naturopathic MD and maybe someone like an Acupuncturist.

As quoll said above, she should NOT just stop taking it...most psychiatric drugs must be weaned off slowly. Talk to her doctor and make a plan together for treatment.

First off, I would not recommend valium - whatever adverse side effects your seeing with Lexapro would probably be nothing in comparison to those from valium...at least thats how its been with people I know who have been on valium.
Secondly, it takes a LONG time to get medication dosages right. And, meds can stop working, too. In the past four years I've been on; Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Seroquil, and Ativan. And, its a pain in the ass to change meds, its a pain in the ass to have to deal with side effects - but for me, the consequence of not being on a correct dosage of medication is much, much worse.
Thirdly, Like Erika said, therapy is very important. It can be something that can replace medication or go along with it - however, I would not recommend being on a medication and NOT going to therapy. Simply because, although the depression and anxiety have biological roots, the majority of people have other issues that accompany the biological basis.

Anti Depressants

Very good Advise from the ladies above me. My S.O. worked in the mental heath care system for a long time. One reason you never want to just quit cold turkey on a physc. drug is because it can lead to serious health problems physically and mentally, and or death (and not nessesarliy by suicide) Often times it takes many weeks to a few months to get teh full effects of an antidepressant, particularly if one has never been on them before. And most of the early side effects people feel tend to go away within the first month or two. With Zoloft, for the first 6 weekks or so, i became very quite, soft spoken, and spacey, then it cleared up. I taped the medicine up from 25 to 50 mg doses, which was to strong for me the tapered back down to 25, where i did fine for awhile. I am not however chronically depresses, i was having a tough spot so i am not on them any longer.

But as said above sometimes it takes tinkering with the doses, as well as time to get use to what effect the drug has. the best thing you can do as a partner (believe me) is to be patient, and don't encourage/ pressure her to do anything she doesn't want. Be supportive and help do research, the end will probably justify the means...

I started a thread on the same topic a little while back. I was started taking Lexapro for depression and panic attacks. It seemed to helping a great deal but I decided to discontinue after I became pregnant. The Dr. told me I could stay on it but I choose not to b/c my research told me there was not a lot of studies on risks in pregancy. I had to slowly wean myself off.

Lexapro cost me my daugter for 9 mos. I would leave in the morning and it turned out my wife was gorked out all day. My kid would escape out the front door and play in the yard (she was 2) well someone called CPS and they took my kid till we took some classes and crap. we got her on something else and she is "much better now"

Thanx for all the input folks,the dr. told my wife to stop taking it if she had adverse effects.My wife has panic disorder stemming from her growing up with an alcoholic father,actually a step father who abused her.What we have done is whenshe has these attacks she takes a valium(they are highly addictive).she only takes them when the panic comes on,they seem to help her calm down very well.I find xanax works for me when I am stressed,plus it doesn't mess with my libido(valium does)if I don't exceed 50 mg. .My wife got mind numbed in three weeks and lost all desire for sex in two weeks,she stayed constipated and it has delayed her period.she also had an incredible dry mouth and thirst.she has been off for three days now(the lexapro)and her sex drive came after one day off the damn lexapro.the constipation is gone and her feelings/emotions are back.She has decided to divorce her family(this is the main source of the panic attacks)these folks are very dysfunctional(the whole family)and my wifehas gotten away and has been through support groups ,she now can't take their behavior,and this rings the panic on,they constantly play head games with her,soooo we figure if she stays away,everything will be o.k.. We will see ,again thanx for all the input

Pupper, has she been through any Cognitive Behavior(al) Therapy? It works for so many people with anxiety, depression, panic, and disorders like PTSD. It teaches you to cope, and eventually desensitize to the things that bring on the panic.

I would have laughed if someone told me something that seems so simple could have stopped the attacks and transform my life a couple of years ago, but I really put the effort in, and it did. Except for one little thing that can't be controlled, the panic just doesn't come anymore, and when I start to feel uneasy, I can get myself out of the cycle.

Look into it (even google and start some research on your own), and find a really good therapist who specializes in treatment of anxiety and childhood abuse. In time, she may not need the Valium, Xanax, or any drug.

No ,We have gone to support groups,I went with her.our Psychiatrist likes to fix with pills I see the same guy he has me on adderall xr for add whichI can honestly say it helps me with my focus and from being scatttered,in my business ventures.I will research it though If it works itwould be cheaper than xanax/valium,and i would rather see her fix the problem than mask it(although the valium calms here down.she gets these triggers also stemming from childhood that sometimes brings them on.Shenow sees whenit is happening,she has came a long way in 17 years,but I think the fact that there is never any resolve as far as her family goes that brings it on.They are in denial that there is a problem,it's like there is a big white elephant in the room and no body sees it.they were told(when she was a child)not to let anyone know whats going on.
I will research,thank you for the suggestion.

You know, any psychiatrist (or any doctor for that matter) who doesn't push for therapy instead of or in addition to medication is really suspect. In fact, most doctors INSIST on it, especially when prescribing narcotics and serious drugs like valium, xanax, and adderall. That is, they will not prescribe the drugs without a therapy program. Perhaps looking into getting another psychiatrist is in order as well. Research it...you should see therapy is ALWAYS recommended in conjunction with panic, anxiety, and usually depression. It's kind of criminal for a doctor not to insist on it in her case, IMHO.

I am not anti-medication, but it sounds like your wife has been masking the problem instead of really fixing it, and why suffer like that if she doesn't have to? It's a miserable life, and no amount of quick fixes or money are worth living it.

Good luck to both of you, and I hope she's able to get the help she needs to really heal. :rose:

Thank you Erika for your wisdom in this matter,I agree with you,masking the problem does not fix it.

My husband has bi-polar disorder and they changed his medication a while back to Welbutrim and he has lost most of his sex drive. It helps him be more normal, but he doesn't want to be with me. And that is getting really hard for me, cuz when he doesn't want sex there is almost no affection or attention either, and I miss that more than the sex. I hope you are able to find something that works for you wife. Like someone else said, you may just have to try a bunch of different things before you hit on one that will work for her. Good luck, Kitty :cattail:

This might not answer your question, but I'd like to take a moment to plug Wellbutrin, if someone has to take depression medication. I recently found myself on depression meds after some serious shit that happened in my life. I flat-out told the doctor, "If you give me something that punks my libido, I'm not going to take it."

Turns out that Wellbutrin is actually a bit of an aphrodisiac:

http://archive.salon.com/sex/feature/2000/09/26/wellbutrin/

Not everyone feels this particular side effect, but at the very least, I've never known anyone whose libido was slowed or killed by this particular depression med.

It's actually increased my sex drive. Wonderful Wellbutrin, indeed.

We retty much decided against any meds,excet for the occasional valium (put it under her tongue)for a panic attack.It's the only thing that really works to stop the panic attack,although this doesn't stop what brings them on,thats what needs to be fixed

Thanx Quoll,I did see that we have read some on it but haven't found a doctor near us yet,we have a short list of some doctors near us we are in metro Atlanta so a good doctor should be easy to find.

pupper said:
Thanx Quoll,I did see that we have read some on it but haven't found a doctor near us yet,we have a short list of some doctors near us we are in metro Atlanta so a good doctor should be easy to find.
Well I`ll leave that up to you, I`m in rural Australia. :D

My God,The outback?We have everything in Atlanta,I love this city

kittykai said:
My husband has bi-polar disorder and they changed his medication a while back to Welbutrim and he has lost most of his sex drive. It helps him be more normal, but he doesn't want to be with me. And that is getting really hard for me, cuz when he doesn't want sex there is almost no affection or attention either, and I miss that more than the sex. I hope you are able to find something that works for you wife. Like someone else said, you may just have to try a bunch of different things before you hit on one that will work for her. Good luck, Kitty :cattail:

It's amazing how different meds affect different people. I was on SSRIs (Paxil & Prozac) for about 2 years. They killed my sex drive, increased my anxiety, and made me apathetic towards nearly everything in life.

I was off meds for about a year and just recently felt I was ready to try something new. I'm now on Wellbutrin (aminoketone, not an SSRI) and I'm liking it so much better. I'm pretty sure it's starting to kick in, as my anxiety and depression seem to be lessening. The only adverse side effects I've had were a little bit of nausea and mild diarrhea when I upped my dosage from 1 pill daily to 2 daily (doctor's orders to do so after 7 days). That's since subsided, and all is well. My sex drive has actually improved, as well, which is a major relief for both my hubby and I.

I do believe, however, that medication is not the end-all solution to depression, anxiety, or any other psychiatric disorder. Therapy, and behavior and lifestyle changes are, in my opinion, much better ways of solving the problems. I view meds as a stepping stone, and I'm taking them to help pull myself out of my rut enough to get the help I need.

Pupper, if you and your wife feel that medication is what she needs right now, have her discuss all her options with her doctor. There are many different types of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds out there, and many affect vastly different areas of your brain. If one didn't work for her, others may give better results.

My girlfriend went on Lexapro for about a month and it almost immediately she was unable to have an orgasm. I don't think it really killed her libido, but it made sex frustrating because she cums every time. She's the type that can cum from straight sex doggie sytle with no additional clitoral stimulation... and the Lexapro made her unable to cum no matter what we did... And when she went off of it, she returned to normal in like 48 hours.

Another thing we noticed with lexapro was it delayed my wifes period,and now that it has started ithas been here for four days,she is always done in three days.She hasn't returned to normal yet as far as drive,usually when she startsshe wants her pussy eaten real bad,I always clean her up and eat her until she squirts,but this month she doesn't have that strong urge to be eaten.have any of y'all women on lexapro had the problem of a delayed period?That shits as bad as birth control pills.

Lexapro extends the monthly here too...

pupper said:
Another thing we noticed with lexapro was it delayed my wifes period,and now that it has started ithas been here for four days,she is always done in three days.She hasn't returned to normal yet as far as drive,usually when she startsshe wants her pussy eaten real bad,I always clean her up and eat her until she squirts,but this month she doesn't have that strong urge to be eaten.have any of y'all women on lexapro had the problem of a delayed period?That shits as bad as birth control pills.

I hate taking the shit so bad I whined to my doctor until he finally allowed me to begin cutting the pills in half. My "normal" desire has returned basically, but i now just feel warple-fucked (a term my hubby came up with) as far as sex-drive goes... Somedays, I feel like a cold fish, then the next day, my girlfriend nor hubby cant possibly give me enough satisfaction and the vibes can barely cover for them...
Weird shit, huh?

Baremama

Well, An update,Today wifey went off the deep-end due to something very simple,the panic attacks are worse now the when she started the meds,I think I need to kick the psychiatrists ass the next time I see him.My loving wife has turned into a monster.one incident this morning turned into incident after incident(everything was a big problem)She basically toldme she didmn't love or trust me(for no reason)I love that woman more than anything,I would give my right nut for her.She has joint'/muscle pain.She has panic attacks over the most simple of issues.The kids are afraid of her,usually I can talk her down off the ceiling,I can't even do that,she tells me I'm a liar and I don't love her,there is nothing further from the truth.If I didn't love her I wouldn't be here,I would have taken off a couple of hours ago.She has no self esteem,no drive.I am sincerely worried for her well being.We have gone from being totally sexuall together to she can't stand my touch,I am the only person she has ever trusted(she grew up in a very dysfunctional family that she has "divorced over the last month" can the family divorce be triggering this or is it the lexapro,she has been on lex for 17 days before quitting cold turkey.I am atmy wits end 3 valium and two xanaxs later I am finaly getting my shit together,I am devestated(I treat her like a queen)Quoll I have registered on the links you provided,I knowhen she chills out she will be apologetic,to me and the kids,but it id=s very hard on me mentally and physiclly.Help someone what should I do,I am a very a succesful business man n Atlanta Georgia,I never loose,I always work things out,but I feel beat up for no reason.How long does thisshit stay in her system,It's been three days andshes getting worse,help Quoll,erika anybody.I can' function without her normal prersonality and love(her love drives my success)Am I codependent?I wan this situation resolved what ever it costs,I will pay it,I WILL NOT LOSE MY Soul Mate,And she doesn't usually react like this.help,help please.how log doe's it take or that stuff to leave her system .I had a funny feeling about the stuff when she decided to take it she evenargued wit the dr. that proxac made he brain dead.In my way of thinking the valium/xanax as needed for panic/anxiety is the way to go,I may be wrong but fellow litsters help me out.I can't bear to losemy wife,I love her with my very being and live to pleasure her.

Pupper, not exactly the outback, but annoying enough sometimes, although I was never comfortable living in the city.

I have been doing some research for you, still looking too, but this excerpt sounded very similar and the suggestion was that she should take the lexapro again, at least long enough to stop the mania and give you a chance to get to see a doc as soon as you can.

I have come across your question because I just found out that my husband has tried to quit cold turkey and I was searching for help. Last week he just appeared VERY irritable and grumpy, so I just dismissed it, a couple of days later he became extremely harsh (physical) with our daughters, I was upset but dealt with it. This week about 5 to 7 days after quitting he went into a rampage. He was screaming, cussing, throwing furniture, hitting the walls and even became violent with me. On top of that he threatened to take our baby away stating I would never see her again. He threatened to burn our home down if I did not do what he wanted. This was "NOT" my husband, I was scared but new something was wrong so just tried to do what would calm him down. I suggested he take the med. again and talk to the doctor. He refused at first but the withdrawals that night were so severe that he went the next day and got the prescription. He is talking more normal but he has not come back to our home because I am afraid and still won't talk to the doctor. This is all I can tell you so far, just be careful.

Pupper I have never experienced episodes like this while on the meds, but have felt the same when I was not on them, and to outwardly blame everyone but yourself is exactly what I did, but inside I was despising myself at the same time.

I have no expertise only personal experience and study, I think you should get her to a hospital or doctor as fast as you can if she will let you.

Good luck and I hope you both can get through this.

Back