why is there hair?

EJFan

Absolute Genius
i know this is going to sound like a very stupid question BUT....

does anyone really know if there's a biological or evolutionary reason for pubic hair?

i remember reading or listening to a discussion on this years ago and it was never resolved. the closest conclusion i can remember being reached was that it was to draw attention to the genitals... maybe so people would actually think about them and consider what they could do with them?

for the life of me, i can't really think of any practical purpose. eyebrows and eyelashes keep debris out of our eyes, for example, but what purpose does/did pubic hair serve?

i believe that since hair is our remnant of fur and hair serves the purpose of keeping things clean and warm, it's remained b/c up until quite recently, our ability to keep ourselves warm when cold hasn't been particularly good.

i think.

ed

Well I think it's there to protect your privates from bacteria and maybe keep them warm...? I really have no idea, but I know that a man's body has to keep his balls a couple degrees cooler then the rest of his body or else his sperm will be damaged, but I don't think pubic hair does anything for that. Gosh, what a great question...I hope someone smarter than me answers you. :rolleyes:

Actually, we don't *know* why we have them. There are theories.

One of them is the keeping warm theory, although that one probably doesn't hold up too well in the light of average temperatures in Africa.

Another is indeed to do with sexual arousal - put simply, the hair down there helps better disperse sweat and pheromones. If you have hair you can smell... er... be smellier.

A third one would be to prevent rubbing and chaffing. The hair down there keeps your skin from getting a rash by acting as a buffer.

Those are three theories I could come up with in short order.

Hair is the remnant of fur. Fur serves to keep warmth and therefore protect from cold and weather.

It protects our genitals because reproducing is the most important function of animals, and our head because, well, that's pretty important too.

The most commonly believed theory is that it is due to, as Summermorning said, smell. The hair actually helps to trap the scent in your armpits and genital area - and the scent is supposed to tell alot about you to other animals.

Some more theories

It is believed that the functions of pubic hair include the dissemination of pheromones and protection from the friction of sexual intercourse. pubic hair sends out big aroma cues from the genitals' scent glands and delivers them to prospective partners -- odors that both genders find sexually stimulating. Human odor and scent, called pheromones are an important in human sexuality and physical attraction, which is why perfume and cologne are a huge industry. Sometimes you like someone and you don't really know why... it might be their scent mixing with yours. Pubic hair also serves as a visual cue -- there's no mistaking that dark triangle shape when you see it against bare skin.

While it can protect the delicate vulvar tissues its primary purpose today is seen as decorative. If pubic hair had a major biological purpose, all women would have it, which is not the case. Women of some racial groups naturally have little or no pubic hair. They do not seem to suffer as a result. Some feel pubic hair serves to collect a woman's scent, so potential partners can check to see if she is ready for sex, to reproduce. Since it is not appropriate to smell the genitals of our mates to see if they are in the mood, and since we can no longer detect their scent at any distance, this function has been lost to evolution. Pubic hair often serves more of a social function than a biological one.

bisexplicit said:
The most commonly believed theory is that it is due to, as Summermorning said, smell. The hair actually helps to trap the scent in your armpits and genital area - and the scent is supposed to tell alot about you to other animals.

That's what I always thought.

EJFan said:

does anyone really know if there's a biological or evolutionary reason for pubic hair?

It's like your apendix. At one point it had a purpose, now all that is left are the remanents of what use to be.

thanks all... i fell intelligentified. it seems to me that all of these things are viable answers and certainly more well thought out than anything i've heard to date. i'll buy the scent thing as the likeliest possibility.

i appreciate everyone's input. :)

now if only we could find a way for ALL thread-starters to actually embrace responses on their thread.

EJFan said:

Pubic hair makes it quicker to lather up a soap bar. Think I'm kiddin'? Try it. :D

:cool:

Halo_n_horns said:
Pubic hair makes it quicker to lather up a soap bar. Think I'm kiddin'? Try it. :D

:cool:

i can totally see this! it's a stroke of brilliance that even the entire leakey family wouldn't have uncovered. lol.

i think that maybe this information will spawn a new direction for this thread... USES for pubic hair!!!!!!!

yanno, I don't think this question has ever been asked before in my littime.

It seems like pubic hair is something we fuss over alot - but never really put too much thought into past "shave off or let grow"

bisexplicit said:
Good, I'm glad you're learning how to agree with everything I say. :D

Pfft. I would have said the same whether or not you posted.

Errr, I mean... Yes ma'am.

BlueSugar said:

It seems like pubic hair is something we fuss over alot - but never really put too much thought into past "shave off or let grow"

see... i'm not just a substandard lover... i'm also thought provoking. :)

BlueSugar said:
And that's saying something, because in all the years I've been hanging around this place, just about everything has come up at one time or another.

Eilan said:
And that's saying something, because in all the years I've been hanging around this place, just about everything has come up at one time or another.

lol, your join date says 2005 how long have you been lurking one way or another?

EJFan lol. aw *ruffles hair* your presence is appreciated and so are your thoughts and questions, I have no idea what you're like in bed but I bet its better then substandard :)

Good question and answers! I asked my hubby (Anthropology guy, and he took a Anthro. Sexuality course), and he proposed, as well as the scent, it is an indication of sexual maturity. I thought I'd relay it because we've had so much discussion on whether or not it's a good thing lately, and many have asserted they don't like the "little girl look" of a completely shaved or waxed pussy. So, it seems some associate a lack of pubic hair with sexual immaturity, and perhaps we could conclude that hair indicates readiness for a portion of those people (I'm guessing the other portion are somewhat attracted to the younger look).

I googled the question to see if anyone else mentioned my hubby's theory, and came up with an excellent article that gives an overview of all of the theories attempts to answer the question. :)

Yeah, why do we (women mostly) have hair in all these unwanted places? :confused: I think the keeping warm theory is true for most part of the body; this is why your hair "stands up" when we get chilly: to create a "layer of fur", so to speak, to keep you warm. I was talking to my BF about the hair on womens legs and why all women still have it while 99% doesn't want it! :rolleyes: He says that evolution will someday 'agree' with women shaving their legs (and other parts of their bodies) and stop women (and men) from growing hair on places they always shave. Maybe.... we'll not be around to find out I'm afraid since evolution never was a speedy thing :eek:

As much as I hate the hair on MY legs (thus shaving them every other day) I like the hair on my BFs legs... mmmm :) He does shave his balls though, which is very much appreciated since it makes it much more pleasurable to lick and suck them :D

I have also been told that the hair in (on?) your eyebrows and eyelashes is there to keep the (salty) sweat on your forehead from dripping into your eyes. That makes sense to me; couldn't be for keeping your eyes warm now could it? :)

Oh well.... I'm off.... (buying me some fresh razorblades :catroar: )

Ciao!

SweetErika said:
Good question and answers! I asked my hubby (Anthropology guy, and he took a Anthro. Sexuality course), and he proposed, as well as the scent, it is an indication of sexual maturity. I thought I'd relay it because we've had so much discussion on whether or not it's a good thing lately, and many have asserted they don't like the "little girl look" of a completely shaved or waxed pussy. So, it seems some associate a lack of pubic hair with sexual immaturity, and perhaps we could conclude that hair indicates readiness for a portion of those people (I'm guessing the other portion are somewhat attracted to the younger look).

I googled the question to see if anyone else mentioned my hubby's theory, and came up with an excellent article that gives an overview of all of the theories attempts to answer the question. :)

Oh, yeah. Forgot to add the sexual maturity theory. Yeah, there is that.

It's most likely that there is no *single* reason we have pubic hair - lots of things that evolve tend to have multiple effects. Even though it may be redundant in many ways today, it would be quite difficult to say it has *no* function whatsoever.

Anyway you dice it though, pubic hair doesn't serve *much* of a function.

:cattail:

EJFan said:
i can totally see this! it's a stroke of brilliance that even the entire leakey family wouldn't have uncovered. lol.

i think that maybe this information will spawn a new direction for this thread... USES for pubic hair!!!!!!!

You had to know I couldn`t pass this up. :D :devil:

Attachments

• pubes.jpg
    pubes.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 75
The purpose of hair on the human body, as defined by Milady's Standard Textbook of Cosmetology - Revised Edition (Chapter 3, Properties of the Hair and Scalp, Page 44):

The chief purposes of hair are adornment, and protection from heat, cold, & injury.

That's it, in a nutshell.

One of the things pubic hair does is to wick the moisture away from the area -IMO, a positive effect - when I go totally bare, the lack of this function becomes apparent. Even just a small amount of hair keeps the skin drier by preventing secretions from building a damp layer against the skin. Since skin stays healthier when it remains dry, I consider this one of the functions of the hair there.

Last edited:
Back