A thought

Colleen Thomas

Ultrafemme
I'm not real big on chain stories, but in Abs I have been accused of stealing people's muses. I've also participated in the writer's vocie exercises we have had up for time to time. The pair lead to a crazy idea. One crazy enought I thought I would share it.

I thought it might be fun to try a muse stealing chain. I was thinking of something along the lines of those who felt like participating volunteering. And then randomly stealing someone else's muse from the lists and trying to write a story in their style or with their voice.

It could be too complicated or silly, but I thought it makight make for some fun or at least a good discussion.

Might be interesting to choose one of the author's pieces and write its sequel (or prequel) in the author's "voice" ... or have the author choose which one, even. :cool:

impressive said:
Might be interesting to choose one of the author's pieces and write its sequel (or prequel) in the author's "voice" ... or have the author choose which one, even. :cool:

Not sure most people would be willing to turn their characters over to someone else. But it's worth discussing :) For my part, it wouldn't be a problem :)

Colleen Thomas said:
For my part, it wouldn't be a problem :)

Nor mine.

Was just thinking it'd be easier to mimic an author's voice if focusing on a particular piece or particular characters.

OKay, someone write Not quiet strangers 3 for me. I'll play maybe it'l make my muse come home.

Colleen Thomas said:
Not sure most people would be willing to turn their characters over to someone else. But it's worth discussing :) For my part, it wouldn't be a problem :)

wouldn't be a problem for me, either.

In case it wasn't obvious, No problem here either.

carsonshepherd said:
anyone up for ghost writing chapter 10 of my novel for me?

kidding... well, sorta :rolleyes:
Chapter 10
it was a rainy night, so sayeth carson's character.
the end.

GREAT idea, Colleen. Unfortunately I have trouble enough trying to tie down my own style, let alone someone elses. And I still have three stories I need to finish.

But I'd dare someone to steal Debbie. :D

Perhaps there'd be more enthusiasm for this project as part of an AH voice challenge. :eek:

I twould probably bemore fun as a writing exercise. it comes to my mind that only Ah members would understand the premise within the chain and thus it would be kinda obscure to readers.

Colleen Thomas said:
I twould probably bemore fun as a writing exercise. it comes to my mind that only Ah members would understand the premise within the chain and thus it would be kinda obscure to readers.

I'm in agreement. Most readers, however smart and devoted, tend not to pay close attention to the nuances within the writing -- how many people read a score while listening to music?

A tiny example, I wrote one of my "minuet" stories in a series of paragraphs, all of them the exact word length. No one has commented, even though there is a clue in that that each paragraph takes up the same amount of line space.

Love the idea. Unfortunately I'm off till Aug. Must try when I get back!

Back