Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes, #1

McKenna

Literotica Guru
I picked up a book the other day at Barnes and Noble called "The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes." I don't usually go for self-help books that tell me what not to do, (don't do this, don't do that) but this one seemed to have merit.

I thought I'd share a blurb from the book every day with the Author's Hangout. Read, discuss, agree, disagree, or just bump the thread for the next person. I figure these might be useful to someone out there besides me.

Don't Make Excuses

(following excerpt is from the book)
The world is brimming over with people good enough to make a living as writers. Thank goodness -for those of us who are working, and don't need any more competition- most such talented people spend their creative energies making excuses, and never quite get around to the job at hand.

If you are serious about the craft of fiction, you must never make excuses for yourself. You simply cannot allow yourself to:
  • say you're too tired
  • postpone work until "later"
  • fail to work because you're too busy right now
  • wait for inspiration
  • plan to get right at it "tomorrow"
  • give up because (editors) (agents) (readers) (critics) are unfair.
  • tell yourself you're too old or too young to start
  • blame others in your family for your lack of free time
  • say your job is too demanding to allow you any other activity
  • tell yourself that your story idea isn't good enough

Simply put: Writers write; everyone else makes up excuses.

The author goes on to suggest a way to break yourself of making excuses: For each day that you do write, record how many hours you worked and how many words you produced and mark them on your calendar. For each day that you did not work, type one double-spaced page of excuses, date it, and file it in a special place. Your excuses must fill an entire page, about 250 words. If you follow this system relgiously, the author suggests you'll either start investing your time in writing that's more creative, or you'll quit.

In either case, you'll stop kidding yourself.

If I had to write down all my excuses for not writing, I'd have a novel by now....

Ok, now what are my other 37 mistakes..... :D

sandmartin said:
Go for it McKenna.

Your first one has my name written all over it! :rolleyes:

:)

Unfortunately, it has mine as well. :( I'm going to change that, though, because the thought of writing a full page of excuses as opposed to a full page of creative fiction is just sooo unappealing! :)

Virtual_Burlesque said:
They missed:

* My old work uniform had no comfortable place to carry a pencil. :eek:

Or my personal favorite:

• But I've spent my allocated writing time pissing about the forums of Literotica. :rolleyes: :eek:

TxRad said:
If I had to write down all my excuses for not writing, I'd have a novel by now....

Ok, now what are my other 37 mistakes..... :D

A book of excuses for not writing. Hmm.... you could possibly get that published, Tex. :D

You'll have to be patient for the other 37... ;)

More, please?

What Imp said. :)

McKenna, not only have I seen these problems in my own writing (and some I rebel against), I have edited many stories with the flaws--some from well-published authors who are too close to their story to have the proper perspective. So, this also makes a great (and quick!) resource to point them to. For bringing this to our attention, you have my sincere thanks (and a virtual :kiss:, minus the lipstick and feminine shape).

The silly notion that you must write, no excuses, creates more crap than anything I can imagine, except not having a story to tell.

Stories are like gossip and jokes; the really good stuff cant be contained or postponed by mere life. If your story isnt as good as such gossip or jokes, there's a mesaage in it for you...think of something so much better you gotta write it down.

The silly notion that you must write, no excuses, creates more crap than anything I can imagine, except not having a story to tell.

Stories are like gossip and jokes; the really good stuff cant be contained or postponed by mere life. If your story isnt as good as such gossip or jokes, there's a mesaage in it for you...think of something so much better you gotta write it down.

I agree, and feel this "common fiction writing mistake" should have been last in the book instead of first (or come with a strong qualifier to write only once all the other 35 points have been taken to heart). Nice clarification, JBJ, that merits repeating.

KEV H

When my experience conflicts with the experts I'm not bashful about stating my case. Lajos Egri wrote something I also disagree with; his comment is a difference of opinion with Aristotle about whats more important, plot or character. Egri sez character and cites how Hamlet would deal with Juliet a lot different than Romeo did. But the premise of the tale commands both plot and the characters.

Back