20 Excel tips/tricks we bet you don't know

Did you find these Excel Tips and Tricks helpful?

• Yes. Helped me a lot. Do some Microsoft Word next.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Yes. Helped me a lot. Do some PowerPoint next.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Nope. Don't need to work efficiently. I get paid by the hour.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kitedemon

Really Experienced
If there is an interest I would be pleased to start and maintain the thread indicated by the title above. Maybe Word or PowerPoint instead. Maybe all three. Computer training is what I do for a living so I would be pleased to share in this free forum. I would add a new tip or trick every day for 20 days.

I'm ready to post if the info will be helpful to my colleagues here on Lit How To...

Any takers?

Lots of Lurkers but no replies.

Need a push? Here's tip #1:

How many fingers does it take to create a chart in Excel?
Answer: 1
How:
  1. Select the data to be charted by dragging your mouse over it
  2. Press F11 (Function key F11 not F and 11)

Scalywag said:
Hmmm, I didn't know that (not that I know much about Excel anyway...just enough to be dangerous.)

Will you answer specific questions in this thread?

thanks. :)
I will make every effort to answer procedural questions. I do not pretend to know everything about what you may be using Excel for. The problem will likely be one of having a small data set that is suitable. Lit will not let me share files with members I am sure.

Caveat: If a particular problem is going to take a significant amount of time to solve/explain I will have to pass. There is only so much time in a day.

How about Access?

I used is several years ago and loved it; finally got it again and I can barely remember how to build a simple query.

LadyFunkenstein said:
How about Access?

I used is several years ago and loved it; finally got it again and I can barely remember how to build a simple query.
Access is very powerful and easy to use if you have a bit of skill. It is a bit procedure oriented however and does not lend itself to "tricks" like Word and Excel.

Willing and Unsure said:
Pressing F4 will repeat the last thing you did (i.e. insert again, delete again, etc.)
Thanks for the contribution Willing and Unsure. Perhaps our readers need to know that the F4 you mention is only good in Microsoft Word. F4 in Excel controls the absolute reference (whatever that is ;) )

Excel Tip #2

Did you know you can type into multiple worksheets at the same time? It's a great trick when you are creating budgets and projections that have the same look and feel for a number of individual months.
Here's how:
  • Let's say we are going to type on 3 sheets at once. Click the Sheet 1 tab.
  • Hold down a SHIFT key and click the Sheet 3 tab.
  • Click into any cell on Sheet 1 and start typing. You can enter text, numbers and formulas if you want.
  • Got some content in? Now select a few cells and Format by changing font, font color and so on.
  • I think our experiment is done. Click the Sheet 2 tab.
All the sheets look the same! Tell your boss you want a raise for working so efficiently :nana:

I LOVE this thread, kitedemon. Thanks for the tips - I'll be checking in!

kitedemon said:
Access is very powerful and easy to use if you have a bit of skill. It is a bit procedure oriented however and does not lend itself to "tricks" like Word and Excel.

So I will take this as a "no."

LadyFunkenstein said:
So I will take this as a "no."
No is such a harsh word.
How about "Make me an offer I can't refuse by posing a question I can answer"

Excel Tip #3

I am without a doubt the laziest person in the world when it comes to work. I find that most people tend to work too hard at what they need to do. Using a computer program is a prime example. You pay big bucks for the programs why not let them work for you.

In this tip we will make Excel type out lots of stuff for us.
It's great, unless you have a keyboard fetish. ;)
  1. Open a new Excel workbook.
  2. Type the word Monday in any cell. Do not leave the cell.
  3. Point at the little 'blob' in the lower right corner of the Monday cell.
  4. When your mouse pointer turns into a small plus sign hold down the left mouse button and drag to the right a few columns.
  5. When you let go of the mouse Excel will type out the days of the week for you.

Second Verse:
  1. Click into a blank cell.
  2. Type the phrase Section 1.
  3. Drag the "blob" (it's actually called the Autofill handle) to the right.
  4. Excel will type out the Section 2, Section 3 and so on entries for you.

Autofill is an extremely powerful tool. We will visit it again in other tips I am sure.

Enjoy your day. Work smarter, not harder.

lady funkenstein: if you could be more specific about your access question, that would be helpful. obviously, if you're building a query you've got a table or perhaps more than one. what precisely is it you want to do?

kitedemon: about access's low "trick" factor: theo nly one i know of is called stunting, which consists of using true/false flags when they are rendered as digits and performing calculations based on them.

ed

silverwhisper said:
lady funkenstein: if you could be more specific about your access question, that would be helpful. obviously, if you're building a query you've got a table or perhaps more than one. what precisely is it you want to do?

kitedemon: about access's low "trick" factor: theo nly one i know of is called stunting, which consists of using true/false flags when they are rendered as digits and performing calculations based on them.

ed
Thanks for the input Silverwhisper. There are a few data management tips. The one you mention is a neat one. Here's a couple of other ones:

When entering data into a table and the data in the field you are in is exactly the same as the data directly above it (same State name, same City name, same last name, etc.) the Ditto function does the typing. To get the Ditto function hold down either CTRL key and type the " (thats the double quote)

To get the current date into an Access field use CTRL + ;

As an extra bonus, if you need to do a lot of data entry that is date sensitive (you are working today on last week's data for example) change your system date before you start Access. To do this double-click the time in the lower right corner of your screen and click the date on which you would like to work. Click OK then start Access and do the work using the current date trick above.

Don't forget to reset your system date after you have finished. ;)

Scalywag said:
kitedemon,

Not sure if you can help me with this one, but:

Is there a way to enter measurements in feet, inches and fraction of inches ( 2'-3 13/16") in one cell and have it recognized as a real number (2.3177083) ?
I have a small question about your interesting dilemma.

What is the possible range of numbers you would be working in? For example do all of the measurements you are expecting go from say zero to 5' or is the range much larger?

Scalywag said:
Thanks for taking a look at my problem.

typically I work in a range of from 0' to about 10'. Most of the time I can live with working to the closest 1/16", but if I need to convert to metric, then I need to use 1/32" increments.

Thanks for any assistance. :)
I have PM'd your solution. Follow it step-by-step and you will be good to go.
Enjoy. :nana:

PS: Data that you enter should take the form:
3' 3 3/16"

Last edited:
Scalywag said:
Wow. Thank you so much. I'll let you know how it works out. :nana:

Scalywag
If you need it, there is a reverse function too to go from a decimal measurement to a mixed feet and inches display.
IMHO: Get yourself a laser ruler and forgedaboudit! :)

Back