How To: Adult Arts and Crafts

Tazidevil

Really Experienced
I have seen many of the threads dealing with the question of homemade sex toys and well I was a little disappointed. Most were answered with "use X as a ___". Well this thread is to answer or give ideas on how to MAKE your own sex toys...that are safe to use...and hopefully wont rot away.

Feel free to post your ideas and your creations and a how to guide to make them.

EXAMPLE:

Trying to make some anal beads. Took 5 different diameter wood spheres, nylon cord (shoelaces or what have you) and a metal ring. Taking the spheres- drilled a hole through the center. Took out some nontoxic varnish (I plan to recoat with plastic or acrylic if I can ever find it) and applied enough coats to make the surface as smooth as a marble...not mention about a .5 - 1mm thick -splinters are bad mmkay. As for attaching the the beads to the string...I am still trying to work out the best way...and the safest. Ideas would be welcomed.

End of example.

CAVAET: Anyone who posts in this thread is not responsible for any injury derived from others attempting to make the items.

Suggestion: Before attempting to make your own useable toys... do take care to research the commercially made item for materials and size.

Tazidevil said:
I have seen many of the threads dealing with the question of homemade sex toys and well I was a little disappointed. Most were answered with "use X as a ___". Well this thread is to answer or give ideas on how to MAKE your own sex toys...that are safe to use...and hopefully wont rot away.

Feel free to post your ideas and your creations and a how to guide to make them.

EXAMPLE:

Trying to make some anal beads. Took 5 different diameter wood spheres, nylon cord (shoelaces or what have you) and a metal ring. Taking the spheres- drilled a hole through the center. Took out some nontoxic varnish (I plan to recoat with plastic or acrylic if I can ever find it) and applied enough coats to make the surface as smooth as a marble...not mention about a .5 - 1mm thick -splinters are bad mmkay. As for attaching the the beads to the string...I am still trying to work out the best way...and the safest. Ideas would be welcomed.

What are you coating the string/cord with, the varnish?

We've only made one type of toy: Attachments for our Hitachi Magic Wand and other vibes. We got the instructions from here: http://www.annasart.com/bdsmhome/toymaker.html (there are BDSM toy instructions there as well).

Materials:
-Hitachi Magic Wand, or just about any stronger vibe (we also made a g-spot sleeve for a slimline vibe). I'd think anything that is electric or takes C batteries would be best because the compound will dull the vibrations a bit.

-Crayola Model Magic. We got a 2 lb. bucket, and one of the four packages in it made about 5 large attachments. The big bucket is about $20 at craft stores, BUT I had a 40% coupon from Michaels, so it was $11.

-Liquid latex molding compound. We bought a quart of TAP Mold Builder at their local store. It's also available at craft stores, but is more expensive. A quart is about right for MANY coats and some waste on 20+ toys, and you'll have some leftover.

-Foam or bristle paint brushes (I have two of each, from .75 to 2 inches wide)

-Plastic wrap and rubber bands.

-Newspaper, waxed paper, cookie sheets, etc. to protect the surface you're working on.

Our total cost was about $30 for materials which will make around 20 attachments/toys, depending on size and coats of latex. Plus labor, of course, but it was way more fun than work. :D

Sartan's BDSM Workshop also has great toy instructions. Again, most are BDSM themed, but there are vanilla things like multispeed vibes.

Remote Control Vibes

Not sure on the coating. Suggestions? I'll look at the mold builder.

Something for you Enema kids out there:

This is a conceptual idea:

Using clear plastic/vinyl tubing, www.homedepot.com, a garden hose nozzle (you know which type I mean), the proper conversion connectors to connect the nozzle to the hose, and a funnel or some other modified container. You got an enema kit.

of course you can get really creative with this I am sure but that's how you can make it your own.

What NOT to do!

:(
If anyone wants to make a mold of part of their body, to use later for casting a "replica", as in a penis DON'T USE PLASTER!!
It is extremely irritating to sensitive skin. Many years ago I made a plaster mold of my cock, which I used to cast a replica later and the skin irritation was absolutely awful, worse than a very bad sunburn and lasted for at least 4 or 5 days. Later I used the rubber compound that dentists use in your mouth for making dentures, much safer. ;)

Last edited:
Tazidevil said:
Not sure on the coating. Suggestions? I'll look at the mold builder.

Something for you Enema kids out there:

This is a conceptual idea:

Using clear plastic/vinyl tubing, www.homedepot.com, a garden hose nozzle (you know which type I mean), the proper conversion connectors to connect the nozzle to the hose, and a funnel or some other modified container. You got an enema kit.

of course you can get really creative with this I am sure but that's how you can make it your own.
Yeah, you obviously want something body-safe, nonporous and very durable that will stand up to repeated cleaning, which cured latex will. It's not outrageously expensive and has many uses as well.

When you work out the string details, post instructions and pics? We've been looking at them, though now that I think about it, Model Magic might work perfectly as well. We made one of the Hitachi attachments to be like connected anal beads.

Great link Erika. That Swiss Army Vibe...I can't decide whether it's ridiculous or ingenious! :D

Will do. Deciding on nylon cord width...also might replace the wood balls with Acrylic spheres (Tap sells them).

I know they don't have to be prefectly round but how easy is the model magic stuff to form and such?

* This thread is inspired through the College Student pocketbook.I.E. Funds are tight, hormones are raging, and sex toys are too expensive.

TBKahuna123 said:
Great link Erika. That Swiss Army Vibe...I can't decide whether it's ridiculous or ingenious! :D
I must have missed that one (or it's just your name for it). Link me?

Tazidevil said:
Will do. Deciding on nylon cord width...also might replace the wood balls with Acrylic spheres (Tap sells them).

I know they don't have to be prefectly round but how easy is the model magic stuff to form and such?

* This thread is inspired through the College Student pocketbook.I.E. Funds are tight, hormones are raging, and sex toys are too expensive.
Yep, and the folks at TAP are very nice and helpful, so I bet they'd just sell you the sizes you needed if there's not a store in your area.

The Model Magic is a different texture, but is really about as easy to mold as Playdoh. Balls would be so simple, and inserting the string will be a snap. Our experience was it needs about 24 hours to dry to a denser styrofoam consistency. I'll tell you what... if I get time this weekend, I'll try the beads and report back. I might not get all of the latex coating done, but making the beads and threading them shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and for cheap vibes and such, the Mature Audiences section of eBay got us through the leaner college years. When you combine shipping and use fair sellers (some charge the cost of the item in shipping and handling), it's usually a fantastic deal. :D

SweetErika said:
Yep, and the folks at TAP are very nice and helpful, so I bet they'd just sell you the sizes you needed if there's not a store in your area.

The Model Magic is a different texture, but is really about as easy to mold as Playdoh. Balls would be so simple, and inserting the string will be a snap. Our experience was it needs about 24 hours to dry to a denser styrofoam consistency. I'll tell you what... if I get time this weekend, I'll try the beads and report back. I might not get all of the latex coating done, but making the beads and threading them shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and for cheap vibes and such, the Mature Audiences section of eBay got us through the leaner college years. When you combine shipping and use fair sellers (some charge the cost of the item in shipping and handling), it's usually a fantastic deal. :D

I will look into the Ebay thing....and see if my friend is still working are the toy shop.

Good luck with the beads. I am on hold for a little while. Finals are coming up and so don't have time to be crafty.

TBKahuna123 said:
http://www.annasart.com/bdsmhome/toymaker.html

Down the page at the section where he talks about crayola foam there is an attachment for the Hitachi in the picture called Swiss Army Vibe. I've settled on ingenious. :)
Now how did I miss that? Not only have I looked at that pic tons, I've MADE a version of the Swiss Army vibe! :eek: We put a head-sized cup shape on one side, and then added little "eyes" when we decided the whole thing looked like a deranged fish or clown. Maybe a Clownfish? ;) One that works really, really well on all sorts of parts. :D

The bead-making and stringing for the anal beads went off without a hitch. Now we're waiting for them to dry, and hopefully the latex will be done and we can run tests on the finished product by Wednesday or so.

SweetErika said:
then added little "eyes" when we decided the whole thing looked like a deranged fish or clown. Maybe a Clownfish? ;) One that works really, really well on all sorts of parts. :D

The bead-making and stringing for the anal beads went off without a hitch. Now we're waiting for them to dry, and hopefully the latex will be done and we can run tests on the finished product by Wednesday or so.
Erika,

Perhaps your new toy could give new meaning to "finding Nemo"

Please let us know how your experiments with the anal beads turn out. I do love them. Especially when they are pulled out as I am cumming. It never fails to put me through the roof. The bad news is that it usually sets the neighborhood dogs to barking. I hope they are the only ones that can hear me. :)

Tazidevil said:

As for coatings, go ahead and coat the cord too, that way you dont get nastys growing between the strands.

Ideas for what you could use, both vinal and silicone caulk would be safe, as well as being super sticky. I like 100% silicone caulk, the only problem is that it needs humidity to cure so if you want to use it in thick coats you need to mix a little acrilic paint into it. If put some in a bowl and used a brush to put on a thin coat that might work really well.

The latex mold builder suggestion isnt bad it would take a few coats, and i found it pretty hard to get a good smooth surface on it.

Just about any clear spray paint would be safe too, once it cured. They use shellac in the coatings of pills. But it wouldnt be very durable.

spyro1123 said:
As for coatings, go ahead and coat the cord too, that way you dont get nastys growing between the strands.

Ideas for what you could use, both vinal and silicone caulk would be safe, as well as being super sticky. I like 100% silicone caulk, the only problem is that it needs humidity to cure so if you want to use it in thick coats you need to mix a little acrilic paint into it. If put some in a bowl and used a brush to put on a thin coat that might work really well.

The latex mold builder suggestion isnt bad it would take a few coats, and i found it pretty hard to get a good smooth surface on it.

Just about any clear spray paint would be safe too, once it cured. They use shellac in the coatings of pills. But it wouldnt be very durable.
I've found latex to work wonderfully, and it does come out smooth if you use thin coats. I'm going to dip the beads, work the latex into the cord, and smooth off any excess with a foam brush if the coating is too thick from dipping.

How safe is caulk, spray paint, etc., for internal or tender external bits?

I've been wondering about the cord part. What do they use for commercial anal beads? I have to admit I've never seen a set in real life. :cool:

SweetErika said:
I've found latex to work wonderfully, and it does come out smooth if you use thin coats. I'm going to dip the beads, work the latex into the cord, and smooth off any excess with a foam brush if the coating is too thick from dipping.

How safe is caulk, spray paint, etc., for internal or tender external bits?

At least as safe as the latex mold builder. That latex is also not rated for prolonged human contact. The silicone caulk, food safe, i have personally used it with no ill effects. It is not the expecive platnium cure silicone that is used in medical applications or most sex toys. All of these things are very safe once they have cured, it is just making sure it is compleatly cured that is an issue. Just as it would be with your latex, i am sure that amonia wouldnt feel good on tender bits ;)

If i were doing it, i would probably use the silicone, it is much stickyier than the latex. I have had the latex peel or pill sometimes. Not to mention concerns about it breaking down with petrolium based products.

TBKahuna123 said:
I've been wondering about the cord part. What do they use for commercial anal beads? I have to admit I've never seen a set in real life. :cool:

They will often use just a nylon cord, some of them are made out of silicone and dont have a cord, just a narrow silicone bit. These are the ones that are reccomended as they are easy to clean.

You don't have to coat anything. All you really need to do is soak them in a mild bleach solution after use and then rinse really well. The bleach will kill any remaining germs within seconds and if the solution is mild enough it won't harm any of the materials. Latex is just as porous as the nylon string. If you are trying to "bacteria proof" the beads, it won't work. They also make a toy sanitizer that I think has the same active ingredient as does lysol (quaternary amine).

They use nylon string for the commercial anal beads.

CorsetLvr said:
You don't have to coat anything. All you really need to do is soak them in a mild bleach solution after use and then rinse really well. The bleach will kill any remaining germs within seconds and if the solution is mild enough it won't harm any of the materials. Latex is just as porous as the nylon string. If you are trying to "bacteria proof" the beads, it won't work. They also make a toy sanitizer that I think has the same active ingredient as does lysol (quaternary amine).

They use nylon string for the commercial anal beads.

I dont think latex is porous, be a bit of a problem with using a condom as a ballon if it were. Or using it as a substance to build a mold.

Very mild solution!

Alcohal would work as well, have the advantage that once it is dry it is all gone.

spyro1123 said:
I dont think latex is porous, be a bit of a problem with using a condom as a ballon if it were. Or using it as a substance to build a mold.

Very mild solution!

Alcohal would work as well, have the advantage that once it is dry it is all gone.

All a bacteria needs is a small pit to attach to. Don't think in terms of absorbing water. Think in terms of sites for bacteria attaching to a surface on a microscopic level. Either is going to have plenty of sites to attach. Disinfecting with bleach or rubbing alcohol, if you want something milder, is the way to go.

CorsetLvr said:
All a bacteria needs is a small pit to attach to. Don't think in terms of absorbing water. Think in terms of sites for bacteria attaching to a surface on a microscopic level. Either is going to have plenty of sites to attach. Disinfecting with bleach or rubbing alcohol, if you want something milder, is the way to go.

hmm, yes and no, it is true bacteria can live on basically a blank surface, but a nylon cord is usually multi stranded, leaving lots of places for bits of things to get wedged, and just dipping it in bleach or even working it around in bleach doesnt always mean that it would clean it.

You would certainly decrease the chances of having a problem, but it would be better still if you had those spaces between strands sealed off.

Or you could boil it, if you got ever bit of it up to boiling tep then it should kill anything important.

spyro1123 said:
At least as safe as the latex mold builder. That latex is also not rated for prolonged human contact. The silicone caulk, food safe, i have personally used it with no ill effects. It is not the expecive platnium cure silicone that is used in medical applications or most sex toys. All of these things are very safe once they have cured, it is just making sure it is compleatly cured that is an issue. Just as it would be with your latex, i am sure that amonia wouldnt feel good on tender bits ;)

If i were doing it, i would probably use the silicone, it is much stickyier than the latex. I have had the latex peel or pill sometimes. Not to mention concerns about it breaking down with petrolium based products.
Good points, and thanks for the info! I guess there was a little pilling on one of the attachments, but there were so many coats of latex that it wasn't a concern. Plus, we use condoms for birth control, so silicone and water-based lubes are the only options.

Do you have the brand name or a link to the silicone caulk? I didn't know there was such a thing as food-grade and am really interested.

SweetErika said:
Good points, and thanks for the info! I guess there was a little pilling on one of the attachments, but there were so many coats of latex that it wasn't a concern. Plus, we use condoms for birth control, so silicone and water-based lubes are the only options.

Do you have the brand name or a link to the silicone caulk? I didn't know there was such a thing as food-grade and am really interested.

Silicone is a pretty neutral compound. There's no real toxicity associated with it after it is dry. I use the stuff from Home Depot all the time. Its the same thing they use to seal aqauriums. That's what I use it for. If there was any toxicity the fish would notice it before you did in your hiney. Especially if it has a layer of latex over it.

Back