All Comments on 'Practical Writing / Story Telling 03'

by The Avenger

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Wow

<p>You sure do know how to take the fun out of writing. As I mentioned before, all this information exists in <u>The Writer's Journey</u> by Christopher Vogler...and done in a less pretentious and far more interesting fashion.</p> <p>Ron123XYZ@foreveranonymous.nat</p>

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Thanks for sharing. What's your problem Ron???

You are misunderstanding something. This is not a competition.

I read these articles and found them very helpful. Not once did Avenger claim that his articles were better than others. You are beginning to sound like you have a vendetta against him. What stories did you post, after reading that guy you keep bringing up? Do by all means let us know, so we may read and marvel. You probably didn't write anything so just shut up. Thanks for the Articles, Avenger. I for one found them very useful. Thanks for sharing. Steve Murray

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
or, How to Paint by the Numbers

This series is a how-to-crank-out formulaic porn. There is one poster - I hestitate to use the word "author" - who goes as "Bob" something has put up at least 350 stories on another list, and they - or everyone I have sampled, at least - follow The Avenger's formula, and all are worthy of the next to lowest score possible (after all, his spelling and grammar are quite acceptable)

My point: you learn to write by writing, and by getting feedback, and you are most unlikely to get feedback that serves any purpose on this group> My own experience with providing feedback regarding plot and character development, and the like were met with incredible hostility, much as if I had called their first born ugly, or something like that.

There are writing groups on-line. If you want to write erotic, join one of them.

duddle146duddle146about 17 years ago
Useful

A very well thought out instruction ~ sure to be of help to anyone wanting to get a leg up on the craft of writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
I liked it.

As a rank-amateur writer, I need all the help I can get, and I liked this a lot.

Thanks Avenger

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Thanks

There's just no winning, is there? I appreciate the refresher in the classical - not "formulaic" - three act structure.

I found two things that were extremely valuable:

"There is nothing wrong with breaking rules, but you gotta know them first, so you know why you are breaking them."

Not all of us have studied writing, so it is very generous of Avenger to freely provide this information. Ron and Anonymous are very proud of their citations and scorn, but this pattern dates back thousands of years and knowing it before breaking it is valuable advice.

"If you realize that the things that are very important for you do not actually play a role in your story, then you are telling the wrong story. Change your story. Find the right story."

Now I know what I'm doing wrong. My interests and characters keep side-tracking my stories. It means I'm telling the wrong story. That one paragraph was enough for me to be happy with the entire series.

Thanks,

- Mark

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous