The Curse of the Romani

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And if I refuse?" Ian demanded.

"You won't refuse us, Ian." Lela slowly stood. "Because if you do then you will die."

"You would kill your own child, Lela?" Irina stood defiantly next to her grandson.

"We will not allow his filth to ruin the family again, mother." Lela moved towards the doorway. "You have until sunrise to make your decision. You have already lost Stefan, for a second time. Do you really wish to lose your life as well?"

Lela didn't wait for Ian's response. Instead she moved gracefully out of the room and then out of the house. Irina and Ian could hear the front door closing behind her. Tears filled Ian's eyes as his world came crashing down around him. Irina hugged her beloved grandson close to her.

"He can't be dead, grandmother." Ian sobbed into her chest. "I'd know if something happened to him."

"I do not think he is dead either, my child." Irina tried to soothe his worries. "They would not allow a Renaldi to die an easy death. Unfortunately I think they would torture him first."

"I have to find him." Ian quickly wiped his face off. "If they are giving me until sunrise to make a decision then he will probably live until then."

"Sunrise!" Irina exclaimed. Ian looked at her questioningly. "They are probably going to let the sun kill him. The exposure to sunlight would be far more painful than anything they could do to him."

"I don't have much time." Ian glanced at his watch. "I might have about ten hours, but I doubt more than that. I need to find him."

"Go child! Hurry!" Irina pushed him towards the door. "I will see if I can figure anything out. I know you can do this!"

Ian kissed his grandmother on the cheek and gave her a quick, but tight, hug. He ran from the house and off to the cemetery. The cemetery was on the edge of town. Ian would start there and work his way across the town as quickly as possible. He prayed that he would have the time to find Stefan and save him.

#

Ian sat down dejectedly on one of the park benches. Tears streamed down his face. He had been over the entire town almost twice and he still couldn't find Stefan. He realized that his family could have easily taken Stefan out of town to get rid of him. Ian was lost and had no idea where to turn. Ian already knew what his answer to his family would be. Death. He would not choose to live his life without Stefan, not again.

As Ian was making his way back to his apartment he glanced at his watch. It was nearly six o'clock in the morning. The sunrise was just about a half-hour away. Ian sat hunched down on the front steps of his apartment building as sobs overtook him. His pain was so intense he never noticed the figure that stepped in front of him. His head jerked up in surprise as he felt a hand lightly rest on his shoulder. The beautiful woman in front of him looked very familiar to him. It only took a moment before his mind realized who it was.

"Mama Renaldi?" Ian asked.

"I see the legends were true." Felicia responded as Ian stood up. "You did find a way to come back, Ian Merripen. Though I say you look nothing like you used to."

"I'm the same on the inside." Ian looked at her pleadingly. "My family has taken Stefan, and I don't know where they have him. I think they are going to expose him to the sunrise. Do you know where he is?"

"I do know where he is." Felicia responded. She looked appraisingly at Ian. "When Stefan told me of a male hunter my husband and I were concerned. We had heard the rumors of the spell the first Ian had cast before he died. We have had our own family following Stefan to ensure his safety. That is how we discovered where they took Stefan."

"Were you able to free him?" Hope sprang up in Ian's heart.

"No." Felicia's voice reflected her pain. "When Stefan was captured they used your Gypsy magic to keep us away. My husband followed at a distance and saw where our son was taken. He hid in the shadows and listened. Stefan is shrouded in magic now, magic that will not allow us to get to him."

"Where is he?" Ian demanded.

"He is tied between two trees at on the edge of the park's forest." Felicia locked eyes with Ian. "That spot will be covered in sunlight moments after the sunrise."

"I've been through that damn park twice. Why didn't I see him?" Ian was furious.

"Your father and cousin cast some type of spell around the grove of trees." Felicia explained. "My husband heard them talking about it. The spell will not allow anyone of Gypsy blood to see what is behind the wall of magic. We can not get to him." Felicia's voice broke as unshed tears filled her eyes. "I am here as a last resort. Do you love my son?"

"Yes, I do." Ian immediately responded. "In the past my family forced my hand when it came to your son. They would have killed me if I left them to be with Stefan. I had no choice. It is something that I will regret for the rest of my life. Things could be so different now." Ian paused and took a breath. "My mother came to me tonight and told me they had captured Stefan. Actually they told me that they killed him. I was told that if I don't change my sexuality and marry a women and have children, then I would be killed."

"Your family does not seem to want to stay out of your business, Ian Merripen." Felicia gave him a small smile. "And what would you choose?"

"If I lose Stefan then I lose everything. I will die without him." Ian's voice was filled with his love for her son.

"If you were to save him, would you allow your family to come between you again?" Felicia asked the difficult question. She was not surprised to see the hurt look that appeared on Ian's face. "Ian, I do not hold you responsible for what your family made you do. I only ask you this because I know that Stefan would rather die than go on again without you."

"I will let nothing come between us. No matter the cost." Ian's voice was steady and strong. "My family will not interfere ever again."

"That is what I was hoping you would say." Felicia's smile finally widened. "Quickly, come with me. We do not have much time. Take my hands."

"Why?" Ian asked.

"You forget that the Renaldi family was once Gypsies as well." She held her hands out to Ian. "Our family has its own kind of magic."

Ian quickly gave Felicia his hands. As soon as their hands touched Ian felt a wave of heat wash over his body. He became dizzy and closed his eyes to regain his balance. When he opened his eyes he realized that they were no longer in front of his apartment. They were standing in the middle of the woods. Before Ian could move a group of people came out from behind the trees. Ian realized he was standing face to face with the entire Renaldi family.

"We ask that you move quickly and do whatever you can." Felicia released his hands. "If you can free Stefan he will show you the way to our home. We can not stay any longer. The sun will be rising soon." Felicia pointed to two of the trees on the edge of the forest. "That is where my son is. Good luck, Merripen."

Ian nodded his head and quickly moved towards the trees. He didn't have time to say anything to Felicia or her family. His mind was solely focused on saving Stefan. As he approached the two trees he could feel the air shimmer from the powerful magic. Ian felt like he walked through a wall of water as he reached the trees. Stefan suddenly appeared. Stefan's arms were stretched out to his sides with rope that was connected to the two trees. Ian rushed over to him.

His head spun in shock as he saw that Stefan's clothes were covered in blood. There was a long gash on both of his arms. Ian saw that Stefan's eyes were closed, and he prayed he was not too late. A branch snapped under his foot as he approached Stefan.

"You will not break me, Romani." Stefan's voice sounded tired, but strong.

"I am not here to break you, my love." Ian reached out and touched Stefan's cheek. "We have to get you out of here."

"Ian?" Stefan's eyes shot open. "I can not believe you came. They told me that you thought I was a dead. I thought I would never see you again."

"They told me that they killed you." Ian kissed Stefan quickly on the lips. "I knew in my heart that it wasn't true. Now, we need to get you out of here."

Ian tried to untie the ropes that held Stefan captive, but he was unable to work the knots loose. Out of frustration Ian tried to use his magic to burn the ropes, but that also did nothing. Ian glanced over his shoulder and saw the sky above the horizon start to change colors. It was nearly sunrise.

"I can't undo the ropes." Fear filled Ian's heart. "They must have cast some spell on them. You need to use your strength to break free."

"I can not, my love." Stefan glanced down at the gashes on his arms. "They drained me of nearly all my blood. I do not have the strength to release myself. Otherwise I would have done that already." Stefan smiled gently at Ian. "I am glad I got to see you one last time though."

"Don't you dare give up on me!" Ian nearly yelled. "We will find a way out of this! I will NOT lose you!"

"There is no way you will be able to find a willing donor in enough time, Ian." Stefan was resigned to his fate. "Blood must be given freely, otherwise I would lose my soul."

"I don't have to find anyone, Stefan." Ian pressed himself against his lover. Stefan looked at him. Confusion was written all over his face. Ian tilted his head and offered his neck. "Drink."

Images flashed of the previous night flashed through Stefan's mind. The way Ian's body tensed as Stefan licked at his neck and as some momentary fear had shuddered through Ian. Stefan could not do as Ian asked. He knew that if he were to drink from Ian, then his lover would forever be fearful that he might lose control and drink again. It saddened his heart to deny his lover's request.

"I can not." Stefan mumbled as he averted his gaze.

"What the fuck do you mean?" Ian demanded. "It is the only way for you to live. Drink from me."

"My love, I will not allow you to be a part of this vicious cycle the curse has caused." Tears welled up in Stefan's eyes. "I will not take your blood. My feelings for you run too deep. I am afraid I would be pulled in and I would not be able to stop drinking."

"I trust you, Stefan. I love you. I know you won't do anything to harm me." Ian looked over his shoulder again and he saw the edge of the sun peak over the horizon. He glanced up and saw the sunlight touch the treetops. "We don't have much time. You HAVE to drink. If you don't you'll die. I know that you would lose your soul if you killed me. I know how important your soul is. You wouldn't risk losing it."

"But my sweet Ian, I have already lost my soul." Stefan gazed lovingly into Ian's eyes. "My soul was given to you the first time we met centuries ago, my love. I love you totally and completely, Ian Merripen."

"This is not goodbye. I refuse to let you go. I made that mistake once before and I will NOT let it happen again." Ian quickly looked up again and saw that the light was slowly making its way down the trees. An idea quickly formed in Ian's head. Time was running out and he prayed that it would work. "I love you, Stefan."

"What are you doing?" Stefan demanded as he watched Ian concentrate on his hand. Ian was mumbling words under his breath.

"Saving you." Ian replied. A faint light had circled around Ian's finger. He lifted his hand and ran his finger in a sharp line across his neck. Almost immediately the skin broke and blood dripped from the open wound. Ian yelped in pain as he felt the blood run onto his shoulder. He grabbed Stefan's head and pushed it into his neck. "DRINK!"

Ian's blood smeared across Stefan's lips. Stefan used whatever strength he had left to force himself to not feed. Some of the blood had slipped into his mouth though, and Stefan's strength was soon gone. Natural instinct took over as fangs broke through his gums. He carefully sunk his teeth into his lover's wound. Ian cried out as he felt Stefan began to drink, but it was not a cry of pain, but of happiness.

Ian's blood surged through Stefan's body. It was a moment that would forever be burned into Stefan's memory. The taste and feel of his love was intoxicating. Stefan had never tasted anything as sweet in all of his years. Energy poured through Stefan's muscles and with a quick pull the ropes holding him snapped. Ian felt Stefan's arms wrap around him.

Ian felt Stefan withdraw from his neck. Ian muttered some words to heal his wound right before his lover's lips quickly claimed him and kissed him deeply. The taste of his own blood did not phase Ian in anyway. Ian's heart leapt with joy. They were reminded of the seriousness of their situation as the sun crested the horizon and bathed them both in light. Ian pulled back suddenly to get Stefan out of the way. He was shocked to see his lover standing perfectly still watching the sunrise in complete awe. Ian took in the beauty of his lover's face drenched in sunlight.

"But how?" Ian asked out loud. "I thought sunlight was deadly."

"I have no clue, my love." Stefan smiled at Ian once he realized he would not be bursting into flames.

"You have broken the curse, my child."

The men spun around to find Irina standing at the edge of the woods along with the entire Renaldi family. Tears of joy were in all of their eyes as they saw the first sunrise in hundreds of years.

"Your ancestor was smarter than anyone had given him credit for, Ian." Irina moved over and hugged both of them. "He knew that his soul would be reincarnated. So when he altered the curse he added a small loophole. The blood of a Merripen freely given out of love would break the curse. Unfortunately the Renaldi family will still need blood to survive. Ian was not able to alter that at all, but he was able to include something that would free them from the shadows."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Ian demanded. "I could have had him drink before now."

"Because it was not for you to know, my child." Irina calmly explained. "The curse could only be broken by true love. If you knew that you could break part of the curse then you may have done it for the sole purpose of doing it. The curse was cast in the first place because of love. Love is what started it, and it was love that would end it."

"Then we were lucky that our family had come to this town." Stefan wrapped his arms around Ian's waist. "This may have never happened otherwise."

"Luck had nothing to do with it, my Stefan." Felicia stepped over towards them. "Many years ago I had a run in myself with a Gypsy hunter. She spared my life because she knew that I was different from the soulless. We shared stories of our histories. Once we found out the truth of the curse we decided to stay in contact. Once a male child was born to the Merripen line our family would be contacted."

"So when you found out I was born, your family moved here in the hopes that one day I would run into Stefan again?" Ian asked. Ian saw a twinkle in his grandmother's eyes. "Do I even need to ask who that Gypsy was?"

Irina and Felicia chuckled before going to talk to the rest of the Renaldi family. Stefan and Ian were left alone. The two men gazed into each other's eyes again before their lips met in a loving kiss.

"I can not believe how stupid I was, my love. My stubbornness almost cost me my life." Stefan murmured.

"You were just trying to protect me, and I love you even more for that." Ian hugged Stefan closer to his body. "Though if you don't mind, I don't think you'll need to look for willing donors anymore."

"If you so choose to give me such a gift, my love, then how could I refuse?" Stefan leaned his forehead against Ian's. "What about your family?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Ian sighed. "Don't you worry though, you're not getting rid of me that easily. You're stuck with me for a long, long time."

"I was hoping you would say that." Stefan grinned. "I love you, Ian Merripen."

"I love you, Stefan Renaldi." Ian leaned forward and captured Stefan's mouth with his own.

The two men were oblivious to the people that still stood around them as they kissed. The bond between Stefan and Ian had become unbreakable that morning as they stood in the sunlight. Ian knew that there would be problems with his family, but he would not let them stop him from being happy. He knew that he would protect Stefan and his family until the day he died. Ian made a mental note to talk to his grandmother about a Gypsy spell for extending life. He knew in his heart that he had centuries of time that he had missed with Stefan, and Ian planned on having many, many years to look forward to in their future.

  • COMMENTS
3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Astounding

I stopped breathing at points. The scenery, the depth of emotion... A powerful piece. Thank you.

SadieRoseSadieRoseover 19 years ago
Totally brilliant!

What a beautiful story. I'm hugely in awe, you've managed to combine my favourite influences; beautiful men, vampires and gypsy mythology. Genius!

What's more it's a fantastic story too, and could easily have gone on for longer. Stefan and Ian definitely deserve a novel. *hint* :)

VicksterVicksteralmost 20 years ago
Typical

As could only be expected. A truly special story. Congrats on another masterpiece.

Vicky

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Inside of You An alpha meets his mate. Will he claim him or lose him?in Gay Male
My Love is Your Love Some people just need a little help finding love.in Gay Male
Be Mine Adrian comes out for the love of his life.in Gay Male
Timber Pack Chronicles Ch. 01 Parker's jock crush is more than he seems.in Gay Male
Sam Roommate & friend lose a game and confess his love.in Gay Male
More Stories