12 Steps to Renovation

Story Info
A construction company owner reconnects with a family friend.
6.2k words
4.62
30.9k
43
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story may (OK probably) will be submitted without the luxury of an editor. Volunteer Editors (VE's) here on Literotica are slammed with requests by us authors - So, please be kind in your critiques since this one is going out there naked.

This one is another that just popped into my head. More dialog than the last one.

I am attempting to write this one as a "real time" story including what is being said, what is being seen, thought of, etc. Let's see if it works. The heavy sex is at the end of the story. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Since I've mentioned this hasn't been edited, some grammatical, formatting and or spelling mistakes may slip through.

RoM

*****

ONE: Damage

"Hi Mom, what's up?"

"The frat boys had a party last night - they broke the back fence. Can you come by and see about a fix?"

"Mom, you know that isn't a frat house, old man Winslow rents it out to college kids every year. He's been doing that for a number of years now. He gets something like twenty grand a month for something that should be torn down.

How about I send one of my site leads to check it out later today, and I can come by on Friday? I can send George over; you met him a few times. He's been divorced about as long as you have been. What do you think?"

"Mathew! How dare you try to set me up! I can do fine myself. Even though you have people working for you that are my age, you aren't too big for me to give you a swat on the ass."

"OK, Mom. Lighten up a bit. I won't send George, but I can't be there until Friday. I am estimating two projects this week and finishing another. I can be there around 3. Dinner at Sebastian's, my treat?

"Wow, I haven't been to Sebastian's in years. Yes, that will be like old times. I'll see you on Friday.

And Mathew, send George. Bye"

- - -

"Hey George, got a second?"

"What's up boss?"

"My Mom's back neighbor's broke her fence. Take a couple guys over with enough materials to span 50 feet. Full job, use some of the prefab post supports we have for the office job, the best redwood and anything else. Clock the crew at overtime for the whole job. Make sure it is done right, and by dark tonight. Log it like any other job - I'll be billing old man Winslow. I can't wait to see the look on his face when I give him the bill. He used to yell at my brothers and I when we played ball in our own back yard: never returned our balls either. This bill will be for the fence, and interest on all of those balls over the years."

"Your Mom's place?"

"Yes, big boy, my Mom's. So tidy your old ass up and wear your button down - the one with our new logo. I know you've wanted the formal invite, now you've got your shot. Treat her like a princess."

"You know how much I adore your Mom, Mathew. I'll treat her like a queen?"

TWO: An old friend returns to town

"Hello?" Wow, a woman's voice - this isn't Winslow.

"Uh, sorry, I'm looking for Charles Winslow. Is this the wrong number?"

"No, right number. That is, um, I mean that was my Grandfather's number. He recently passed away and I've been handling the estate. Who is calling?"

"Chrissy? Are you Chrissy Winslow?"

"Yes, sorry, do I know you?"

"Mathew Briggs - I lived in the house behind your Grandfather's. You came by a few times during summer on weekends. I think your Grandfather sent you over to tell us to stop having a water balloon fight the last time I saw you."

"And I remember I joined in. You and I sat in your garden for hours. I got in a so much trouble when I went back after dark. Oh my god! Mathew, how are you?"

"I'm well. Actually, I'm really doing well. I graduated from U, started a construction company as a senior project, and now four years later have the enviable responsibility to keep hustling enough work to feed about four dozen workers, their spouses, and even their kids. Yourself?"

"I just completed my Master's - Economic Data Analysis. I defended my thesis and got the news my Grandfather passed away the very next day. Pretty crappy that I got only one night to celebrate, and it has been shitty crazy since. Two weeks ago a lawyer delivered my Grandfather's entire life's work in an old leather briefcase.

Wow, Mathew, I think I just dumped on you. Sorry. I forgot to ask why did you call?"

"No worries, I'm a good listener. Your Grandpa's old place has been rented out and the tenants had a bit of a bash last week. Broke the fence and tore up a bit of the yard. I had it fixed and was calling to arrange to meet your Grandpa and give him the bill."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mathew. Was anyone hurt"?

"Just some roses - they'll survive."

"I'm actually going over there this afternoon. The school year is about to end and apparently I am supposed to do an inspection to see if the tenants get their security deposits back. You're in construction? Can I ask you to meet me there? I am sure they won't bring up the fence incident themselves, but they owe you the money.

To be honest, I am new to all of this and based on your online ratings, I could use a familiar wing man that has no less than a 4.8 rating with over 200 reviews. Five o'clock?"

Dang - she is fast on research!

"How about 4:30, coffee shop on Maple and we can walk over together? It won't look like you brought in a ringer. I won't even wear a company shirt."

"Done! I'll be wearing, oh, you'll find me. Mathew, Thank you, bye."

THREE: Coffee and memories

Backyard

Garden

Chrissy

Oh yeah, senior year. We were 18, Strawberry blonde, a few freckles on her pointed nose, petite - I mean nymph-like petite, cute smile she still had braces, smart... really, wicked smart. Come on brain, what else can you pull in?

Oh yeah! White bikini top, too loose, my first look at a real nipple! No wonder we sat for hours, I couldn't get up without showing my hard-on. She had me trapped. How the fuck had I not remember that! I must have stroked off a zillion times to that image in my head before I found the Internet.

"I have Two Ethiopian. Two Ethiopian organic - Mathew!"

"I hope one of those is for me - Or do you normally drink two coffees at a time?"

Ever have one of those absolute surreal experiences. Those rare moments where the brain can't process what is going on, the mouth disconnects and, well, you just look like a fucking idiot? Bingo! One of those moments sneaked-up and slapped me with a two by four.

Face to face, giant, green eyes, same strawberry blonde hair, a lot more freckles, and a darling smile. Wait! Eye-to-eye? I'm like six three, six five in these boots!

A bear hug, strong, but soft in all the right places.

"Chrissy? Wow! You, you look fantastic!"

"Oh, how sweet. I'm sure you just say that to everyone. Get those coffees before they are cold. Lets find a table."

Get a grip Matt - holly crap, she is, think of a good word, absolutely fucking STUNNING! This is Chrissy from the backyard? No, Chrissy was tinny! This is a living, breathing, incarnation of a goddess, Wonder woman, and an Amazon, all wrapped up in one.

"So, cat got your tongue?"

"I'm a transparent guy Chrissy. I could barely keep a secret as a kid, still as honest as the day is long. I had a vision of you when we were younger, you were so, so, petite, and really smart. When you said your degree was in something I don't even remember, but I was expecting..."

"A mousy, spectacled, bookworm? Is that what you were expecting Mathew?"

"Yes, exactly!"

"So, a six-foot ginger in five-inch stilettos, straight skirt and 38s doesn't fit the bill? Sorry to disappoint. I sort of developed a bit late.

"Disappoint? You have got to be kidding! I'm taking you to visit my mom after the inspection. She won't believe her eyes."

"Your mom? My, my, don't you work fast."

Wow, same smile.

"She still lives behind the fence, remember?"

"I heard your dad split, was it tough on you?"

"Nah, he just left. Gone like a ghost. Never seen or heard of him since. Left the bank accounts, the house, even the cars: freshly washed and with full tanks of gas. I think he might have run into gambling or drug deal and needed to disappear. Mom raised us well, all three of us still went to college, and she's about to start dating again - one of my foremen actually. I'm setting them up. I figure if I can get them together, then as long as George is working for me, I am also supporting my Mom if she decides to retire. I don't think she will figure it out for a while.

As I remember, your parents never came over any times. I never understood that."

"You could have asked.

I don't have any. My parents were killed in an accident when I was a baby, and my Aunt and Uncle from my Dad's side raised me. I visited my Grandfather during the summer, as I was his only family. A settlement kept me fed, clothed, and had my education covered. My Aunt and Uncle never had kids of their own and didn't have to worry that I was a 'burden'. They love me as their own- kind of since I am. As for Grandpa, he thought you boys didn't like him.

I still visited Gramps every summer, a few weekends a year and called him every week until the day he passed. I don't know why we didn't run into each other at least once the last few years. Any ways, I try to think of myself as a stable, well-adjusted geek who now has to learn about REITs, tenants, real estate transactions and repairs. My career in marketing is going to have to wait for a bit.

I have figured out that Gramps had a hundred tenants give or take five percent, in various properties. Most are like the one behind your mom's. Big, 100+ year old houses with lots of rooms near the university - a good source of new tenants every year who pay for twelve months but only live there nine.

He moved to a senior resort a few years ago and was having a blast. Apparently he died on the tennis court... banging the pro."

"No way!"

"Yes way! It's the talk of the community. His tennis buddies wore the team uniform at his funeral, and the tennis pro was weeping like a puppy. I think she is twenty years his junior. All quite humorous if you asked me."

"You are killing me, this could be plot to a movie.

Next subject, not that I wouldn't love to hear the rest of that story. What is the plan with this property?

"Every year the kids clear out and Grandpa would inspect the place. Each room has either a private or shared bathroom. All room or bathroom repairs are on individual leases; common areas have 1/10th responsibility for all repair costs. The same shop has handled past repairs for years, but they are not returning my calls.

So, you may have just walked into a very large client who just happens to be an old friend: You interested in possibly chaperoning me on nine other visits?

"Yes, but why me?"

"Your shop has great ratings and from what the reviews say, your prices are high, but very fair for the quality of work. I already called three prior clients since the call earlier today, and they gave you good marks - you are darn near the only anal retentive builder on the planet. Finally, I know where your mom lives. I'm sure you don't want me to tell on you if you fuck me over."

"And if I say no?"

"Then you won't ever get to know what my nipples look like now that I've grown up. I assure you, they are a lot nicer than when you were staring down my bikini when I was a flat chested eighteen year old. You've tried to sneak three peeks in the last five minutes. Do we have a deal? Or not?"

"Chrissy, you drive a hard bargain - I'm in."

"I am sure the bargain won't be the only thing that is hard. Lets get going - we have a property to inspect."

Old neighborhoods are great. Narrow sidewalks, lots of old trees, lush shrubs and fences make it so that we walk single file at times, and oh my god, what body, or more like, what an amazing ass under that skirt. No pantie lines? Thong? Tap pants? Stockings?

"Um, you might want to think more and mumble less back there. Black thong if you must know."

"Oh shit! Chrissy, I'm so sorry. I can't believe I said that out loud."

"No worries. In fact, when we get there, hold my hand. Remember, I want them to think we are a couple, not that you are a construction guy."

"Oh, then you might not be in a position to do anything if I just happen to grab your ass."

"Don't push your luck."

FOUR: Planning and Budgets

"You might want to put down that mimosa, these numbers are scary.

2.5 million in structural and systems because of age and shoddy past repairs. 250 to 300 thousand for cosmetic work to prep all the properties for next year. Add another 200 to 300 for furnishings. A reasonable profit for yours truly, and the number is three and a half, maybe 3.7 million all in.

Your Gramps picked some winners for tenants, and the repairs were darn near criminal. Do you still have that guy's number? I'd like to do a bit of research on his license and insurance. I think he might be a bit dirty.

Upside is that your Grandfather really picked amazing locations. All of the neighborhoods are really on the upswing with new urban professionals and the B&B crowd.

You could fix and sell: getting out with about 15 million less any mortgages, but you would get creamed in taxes since you just got them. Other options are that you update and do online B&B's: you might corner the entire city with all of them on the market, or you can update and continue on the college rental plan.

I think, rough estimate, that you would have to rent them half the time as B&Bs to equal your current gross as college rentals."

"2.43 weekend rentals per month, actually, but that was a good napkin estimate Mathew.

I estimate a repair budget of three mil to give some room for unexpected items and leave some labor headroom given the historical significance and extra costs. Cosmetics might be better to go more upscale, say 500 grand so that the tenants are more afraid of messing them up. Same with furnishings: if I go all high end, I'd end up with less forfeitures at year-end, but wouldn't have to do nearly the level of repairs annually. That would save at least 300K in years one and two, 200K in year three and four. I'll also be able to change the clientele, and have an easier time marketing to the high end rather than the students on a budget.

You are low on your margins and you need to budget for some extras I have in mind for your people.

And as for the taxes if I sold, actually no - the properties are all owned clear and part of a trust that has fantastic returns. I would just roll any sales profits into new investments, and push the tax implications out. I have actually been an owner for years - my Grandfather put me on it. There are enough reserves to do all the repairs, no matter which way we go."

We? She said we... that is a first, and I like the sound of it. And don't question that 2.43. After the past two weeks working with Chrissy it is 2.43, not 2.42 and not 2.45. She is still wicked smart, and stop looking dude. Nice tank-bra, no underwires. Thong? Commando? Dang she is sexy. Wonder if she would ever consider a real date with me.

"Mathew, oh, Mathew. Earth to Mathew. Caught you again."

"Huh, what?"

"You have that same spaced out look on your face and you were staring at my tits."

"Chrissy, you have a beautiful chest - guilty as charged."

"I didn't say you did anything wrong. But lets try to stay focused."

FIVE: Firing up the team

"OK folks, we have an incredibly opportunity ahead of us. Ten units all around the university. 10 weeks of two shifts per location. Students start piling in September 3rd and we have to be done, this is a job we can't fail, no pushing schedules either. Find solutions; be thinking one and two steps ahead.

First teams go from 7am to 3pm, second teams from 2pm to 10pm. Three meals, coffee and hydration are provided, and on site facilities are good to use - keep them clean. Every Friday bring your family for a lunch. George, Will and Sandy are all available at all times as am I. Use your leaders to get your questions answered, no question or issue is too small. Better and more profitable to do it right the first time.

Assignment sheets are posted, emailed and Text messaged daily. Your worksites are based on your expertise, home locations - not by distance, but by the least amount of time to get there and back home, and of course who you work best with. New to this project, you can include mileage on your time sheets.

We will bring on some new people, treat them as they have been here all their careers or they are your own apprentices. Team building is part of how your annual bonuses are computed. So, be nice to our new employees - teach them our way.

These are all really old houses; some of the materials don't exist anymore. Repair, refurbish, and don't throw anything away without knowing how we can get or create its replacement.

Expect site inspections - lots of them, so floors swept, tools in their cribs, safety equipment in use at all times - no exceptions. Lets keep all of our eyes, fingers and toes.

Finally, a quick intro. This is Chrissy Winslow, the owner of all of these properties, and someone who I have known for over ten years. Her grandfather lived behind my house where I grew up, so this is like doing work for family. If you see Chrissy on site, introduce yourself; let her know what is happening, any problems and answer any of her questions honestly. Be transparent - just like with me.

With that, thank you all for meeting so early this morning, as always, I have the bill for the breakfast. Unless there are any questions, lets get out there and start demo.

SIX: Dinner with conspirators

"Chrissy! How are you love! So sorry to hear about your Grandfather, he was a good man."

Wait, mom? You remember Chrissy?

"Wow, you are dense sometimes Mathew!" I'll always know Chrissy! You missed her college graduation when you were learning how to make log cabins in Washington, her high school graduation when you rebuilt the school from that fire in Nevada. Right? You two would make such a handsome couple.

So dear, what brings you two together?"

"Mathew's company is doing all the repair work on the properties my Grandfather owned this summer. Seems Grandpa's old repair company screwed him over and there is a lot of stuff to catch up with."

"That's so nice. So now I know who to complain to about the noise. Is Matt trying to set you up with any of his employees, like me?"

"Aw mom, not now."

"It's OK Matt, I am comfortable talking about this. George is a nice guy, thank you for setting him and I up. We've been on quite a few dates. He tells me lots about how good of a leader you are, how you treat your employees like family, how a certain young lady has seemed to have caught your attention."

"I have surrounded myself with spies and enemies - just off me like Julius Caesar."

"Ooh mama, he knows history too. What do you think? Maybe I should keep him?"

Men, we are the inferior species. Yes indeed. I am outgunned here. Just listen, nod a few times and enjoy your steak. Maybe you will get out of this alive and a shred of dignity intact.

SEVEN: 2nd Street, The Problem site

10:30 pm

"I don't get it. Why did you put so much into this one? Its not that close to the school, its huge, and from what I have heard, is going to be included in a historical district. So renting to the college crowd is going to give you a shit load of hassles."

"Come upstairs, master suite. Let me show you why this one is special."

Yes, I could watch that ass go up three flights of stairs, hell I'd endure a hundred flights with a broken ankle to watch that ass go upstairs.

"Look at the skyline from here."

"Wow, your right, it's beautiful. But this is a rental. Kids don't pay extra for a view, unless it is a topless beach. And what about the historical designation? The entire area is going to become a hipster magnet."

12