180 Degrees-Tae & Vicky's Tomorrow 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

When she woke from the sleep her exhausted body had slipped into, hours had passed. They'd fed her, kept her comfortable, given her a remote control for the huge television that was hidden from plain sight in one of the exquisite mahogany cabinets...and had done everything else but produce the woman she had traveled 2,000 miles to see. After freshening up in the small, private bath the lovely young Hispanic had pointed out, watching a bit more television, and staring out of a window for an immeasurable amount of time, she was about to leave the room and hunt for Tae herself when the door opened.

She turned, half expecting to see one of the young women who had been catering to her every need. Instead, she found her breath hitching and her mind fuzzing over as she lost herself in a pair of stormy grey eyes. She swallowed as the tall figure entered the room, dwarfing it with her size and presence. They stared at one another for a few moments before Tae finally spoke.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Vicky blinked, taken aback by the cold, harsh tone, wrapping her arms around herself self-consciously.

"Y-you disappeared. You...they couldn't find you."

She knew her voice sounded weak and pathetic, almost childlike, but she couldn't help it. What did she think would happen when no one could find her? Did Tae really think she wouldn't look for her? After everything Tae had sacrificed for her?

She watched as the tall woman seemed to digest her words. Still, the words didn't melt her icy disposition. Vicky watched her, confused...hurt. What the hell was going on?

"I faxed my resignation in a few hours ago." Tae informed her curtly.

Vicky nodded. Okay, that resolved one problem. But it didn't explain why this woman, who had gone against her family to be with her for the past year, had left suddenly without a word of explanation. And it didn't explain why this woman, who typically had to struggle to maintain a sense of professionalism around her, was treating her like a stranger at the moment. No, not a stranger, a threat...an enemy.

She took a step toward her, only to feel steely fingers grip her heart brutally when Tae took a step back. She swallowed, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"Tae...?"

She could think of no other words. She had absolutely no idea what was going on. No idea why this woman, who had been her only source of support, strength and comfort for so long, was behaving this way toward her.

"I don't understand—"

"Look, you need to go back. They told me you opted out, but I explained it was a mistake and I would have you on a plane tonight. Just go back, okay?"

She watched as if through someone else's eyes as Tae turned from her, her hand reaching for the doorknob. She didn't know how she crossed the room so quickly, and she wasn't sure what to expect when she grabbed Tae's arm, but it wasn't the repulsion that seemed to cross the woman's face before she masked it. She removed her hand, stunned by Tae's reaction, more confused than ever.

"Tae, what's going on? What did I do?"

The tall woman turned from her, her broad back the only part of Tae visible for a long moment before she turned to face her again, those gray eyes cold and withdrawn.

"They killed my father."

No. The word reverberated through her mind although she didn't speak it aloud. They killed him. Marcos' people. They'd found a way. And it was because of her. Because she'd broken the agreement. Because she gave them Jimmy and Marco as well as Dylan. Because she'd saved her own neck and put everyone else at risk, people who had been trying to help her.

Now she understood. The hostility...the hatred. Tae must blame her. She certainly blamed herself. She closed her eyes for a moment, trying to swallow down the bitter tasting bile that seemed lodged at the back of her throat.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry Tae. I'm sorry about everything. You don't have to worry, I won't bother you again."

She'd left the huge brownstone and was in a cab before she realized it. Tae had not moved a muscle, or said a word, to stop her.

***

She didn't go back to New Mexico. What was the point? Her promise to testify had triggered a war between the Neta sects and now Tae's father was dead...all because of her. There was no way she was going to testify and cause Tae more pain, more problems. They would release Marco and Jimmy, maybe even Dylan. And maybe they would let things lie, maybe things would go back to normal and Tae could get back to her life as a trooper. Maybe...

She didn't know what would happen. She only knew she could not hurt Tae again by actually testifying. So she took the money Tae had encouraged her to hide from the marshals and she ran. They would issue a warrant for her arrest. Of that she was certain. And she would be facing quite a number of years in prison, she knew that as well. But the risk was worth it to protect Tae. She only wished she'd thought of it sooner. Before Tae had been orphaned.

She shook her head as she drove the rental car. God, how had all of this happened? She'd had her head buried in the sand so deeply that she actually thought she was happy with Dylan. She was teaching, he paid all the bills and had bought her a new car...she really had never thought of the problems carrying the 'package' could cause her. And she'd never thought Dylan was using her. It was just the nature of their relationship. He'd asked, she refused, he cajoled, teased and harassed, and she finally agreed. Anything to keep her man happy, right? She winced at the thought. She hadn't even really complained when he asked her to carry more and more over the years. He made it all so simple, the pick-up, driving his nice car, not involving her in the distribution piece of his little business. It was all so neat, tidy and...simple. Life couldn't have been any better.

Until she met Tae. From the moment they met, she'd started worrying, wondering...doubting. The woman had forced her to open her eyes and look in the mirror. Had forced her to ask the hard questions. And how had she repaid her? She'd forced the woman to quit her job and put Tae's family in harm's way. This woman that had been there for her, risked her life for her, this woman...this woman...

This woman she'd fallen in love with. How could she have hurt her in such a way?

These were the thoughts that plagued her as she drove and drove into the night.

***

12