42 and Counting

Story Info
Will 43 come along?
4k words
3.31
44.4k
24
72
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a Wednesday in July. I woke up and went into the master bedroom and said, "Happy Anniversary" to my wife, Laura. It had been 42 years with 3 and a half years of dating/ engagement before the wedding.

We had met during the fall semester of her freshman year of college and started dating shortly after our first meeting. A friend of mine was also interested in Laura but I told him I met her first, asked her out first and if it didn't last he was welcome to ask her out afterward.

Well, luckily he hadn't found out we had broken up twice at the end of spring semesters and then we got engaged fall of her junior year. The wedding was planned for mid-July after she graduated and it went off well although I had suffered some nerves a few months before the 'big day' had arrived.

Now it was all very mundane and after the previous week on vacation and the distinct lack of any 'playtime' while away I mentioned this to her the Saturday morning after our anniversary.

We did 'vacation' which was almost a 'staycation' but it was at my brother-in-law's house where I got to sleep on a couch. Our daughter and her 2 kids were also there, which was the only redeeming aspect of that time. We spent one night at a Holiday Inn with no 'vacation play' that following morning. It was a major disappointment for me!

Our son & daughter-in-law (with the youngest of the 3 grandchildren) had brought up the idea of a trip to the Outer Banks of NC during the summer of '18 with our daughter and her kids and Laura's brother and his family. Margo had said they'd be willing to pay a larger percentage of the rental since they would need 3 bedrooms and the house should be at least 7 bedrooms with a private pool.

I told Laura that I really wasn't interested in traveling 10 or 12 hours for a few days away especially since the incentive of 'vacation play' didn't seem probable. With that statement we had a very frank conversation about our sex life before she left for work at 4:36AM.

During that conversation I mentioned an older friend from college who had lost his wife and then met a woman at his step-daughter's destination wedding in Florida. I told Laura that Dave had said the woman was 67, probably 68 by now and that on weekends Dave needed to have 3 or 4 Viagra on hand to keep up with his new lady.

I looked at Laura and said, "Maybe what you need is someone new to spark your interest again."

"I'm not interested in sex any more."

"Yes I know and it's a problem for us because I still have those urges. You know that because you stopped me from playing with your boobs Monday night before you went back to work on Tuesday. You just want to cuddle and I want more than that."

"But I had thought about it Sunday morning then you had that incident with Jen in the afternoon and I was so angry with you."

"She got annoyed because I locked the truck and then she was cursing at me. I didn't even raise my voice to her. I just let her go but I wanted to leave and not get in any deeper."

"Yes but it hurt the way you just wanted to walk away from the situation."

"Yeah, I got that when you screamed at me on the way home."

"I was really upset with you and her."

"I wonder if you'd feel better if you spent some time with someone other than me. Maybe go for drinks with a couple of the other store managers or see the girls from dance class. Just get away from me."

"What are you saying?"

"Maybe you should look to go out with someone to spend some time talking to someone else. Maybe it will move you into a better frame of mind."

"You want me to go out with another guy?" Her voice had started climbing through the question.

"I don't know; did I say that? I just know that something needs to change a bit or we might not see 43 years." She walked away grumbling with my answer. She left without another word.

Our conversations were short and to the point for the next few days. I was walking on eggshells around her and after greeting her on her return from work I would 'disappear' to the computer room or the basement. This went on for a couple weeks.

She called that she was on her way home on a Thursday, "If it's okay with you I'm going to change and go out for a bit. I'm closing the store tomorrow and I was thinking I'd take you up on your suggestion and go out for a bit tonight."

"That's fine with me, have fun."

She came home and handed her lunch bag to me, emptied her pockets and headed to the bedroom. Two minutes later I heard the shower stall door open and then the water start; she was taking a shower! She was in there a while and came out in her robe.

I didn't say anything and turned NBC Nightly News on: it was approaching 6:32. Laura came out in a short-sleeved top which I had bought her several years ago and a pair of shorts. The top is black and has the outline of a sitting cat in small rhinestones. It opens the possibility for several 'pussy' related comments. We were at a dinner-theater once in Virginia and one of the female characters complimented her on her 'sparkly pussy-cat'. Laura blushed a bit since we were sitting with friends and 2 couples we didn't know.

As she was leaving she said, "I won't be out late, thanks for the idea of getting out, bye."

I wondered who it might be and how long she'd be gone and what mood she'd be in when she returned. I was also curious about the choice of top since she has at least 30 other short-sleeved tops she could have chosen. I was hoping she'd be in a good mood when she got back. I would have to simply wait to see what she might say when she got home later.

By 9:30 I was getting tired. I fell asleep in the recliner and woke up again at 11:54. Laura wasn't back yet because the master bedroom door was open and the bed was empty. I had the urge to call her phone but fought that back. I drank some water and went to bed in the computer room.

I woke to the house shifting and checked the time: 1:13. I didn't get up or leave the bed. I waited to see what she was going to do. I heard the bedroom door close and the TV went on quietly. She eventually made it into the master bath which shares the wall above my head. I heard her tinkle into the toilet and then water ran and she brushed her teeth. I laid there listening and waited for her next move. I fell back to sleep waiting to see what she'd do next.

I woke and went to the main bathroom then to the kitchen for coffee shortly after 6. I minimized noise and had coffee and read in the living room. I had the TV on quietly for the weather because she always wants to know what weather was being forecast for the day.

I made my second cup of coffee at 7:12 and went back to reading. Laura came out of the bedroom at 7:24 and said, "Good morning."

"The same to you."

"You didn't wait up for me last night?"

"I didn't know when you'd be in and I got tired so I went to bed around 9:30. I was really getting tired by then."

"Oh, okay. If you had stayed up another 45 minutes we could have said good night." That statement sent up a warning signal for more than just the obvious time discrepancy. But I wasn't going to confront her about it.

"Did you have fun?"

"Yes, we went to 'The Back Porch', have you heard of it?"

"No, I don't think so." I had, it's a bar at the casino/hotel complex in the next town over from us, with live music on Thursday nights and dancing.

"It's a nice place with live music. I went with Yvonne and Sue."

"Oh, that's nice." But it was another untruth because Yvonne was a Muslim unmarried young lady. Laura knew, but probably forgot, that her one key-holder and I chatted on occasions and she had mentioned that an unmarried Muslim woman named Yvonne had been hired. So now I really wasn't sure what to say to her. I had suggested she go out but I didn't expect her to start lying to me. I'd have to talk to Tanya one day soon to see if I could get any accurate information.

Things changed a little after that night out. Laura was talking to me a bit more and didn't seem quite so distant. The weekend was quiet since she did an 'open to close' on Sunday to give the regular 'closer' the day off as requested.

Monday was quiet, Laura was tired. Tuesday we were up at 3 because she needed to get in and 'get some stuff' done. I was drinking my second cup of coffee and watching the Today show when the landline rang and I said "Hello" on the 3rd ring.

"Hey, it's Tanya. How are you and how are things with Laura?"

"I'm good and things are a bit better, she talks to me some now. After she went dancing Thursday night it seems she's in a better mood. Why what did you find out?"

"Nuh-uh, you tell me what she told you first."

"Okay, be that way." Tanya is 4 or 5years older than our son and I've talked to her once in person. She's short, maybe 5'2 or 3. Her hair is light brown and it was wrapped up around her head the day I said 'hi' to her when dropping change off to Laura.

"Well, she told me she came home around 10:15 but it was actually almost 1:15. I had gotten up around midnight to pee and she wasn't home then. Maybe she couldn't read the clock too well? She also said she went with Sue and Yvonne. I know that Yvonne wouldn't go right? She's been a bit more attentive but I can't tell you why."

"Well, she didn't say anything to me about it except she had a nice time out on Thursday night, dancing and chatting. However my friend Patti, who recommended me for the job, was told by her manager that HE went out Thursday night dancing at 'The Back Porch' and had a great time."

"Huh, do you think its coincidence? I mean I've heard of it, commercials on TV and all."

"Maybe, but I doubt it because Laura has had lunch with him quite a few times after going to the bank. Patti says he talks about her frequently too."

"Who is this and is he married, single divorced?"

"His name is John, divorced and he manages the store about two and a half miles from here. Laura drives past it to go to the bank every day."

"I know that name; he did the bank runs for Laura when we went to her brother's for Thanksgiving."

"Yup, that's him. He's a nice guy, early 50's and he has come by to see how things are going here a couple times..."

"What aren't you saying, spill it Tanya."

"Well, are you sure you want to hear this, really sure?"

"I'd rather be warned then surprised."

"You aren't going to like it, I can tell you that."

"Stop beating around the bush."

"They have spent some time in the office 'talking' about some issues with the company."

"Okay, so what?"

"I had to talk to her and she wasn't answering her page so I went back there and they were both flushed and tugging on their clothes like..."

"Yeah, like they were getting neatened up after playing with each other? Is that what you think?"

"Yes, that's the way it looked to me."

"So, she's having a thing with John and I wonder how long it's been going on because she's been different since right around Thanksgiving."

"That sounds about right to me too."

"Thanks Tanya. I wish I had known sooner, but at least I won't get blind-sided if she comes up with something else."

"Well, there is the other thing."

"What's that?"

"John told Patti he left 'The Back Porch' around 10:30 and went home."

"So they may have gone to his place for a couple hours."

"That's also what I'm thinking, sorry man."

"It could be worse."

"How's that?"

"She could have brought him here for the night. She's keeping me in the dark so she's concerned about getting caught."

"Well, I didn't think of that one, but you're right about that."

"I guess I need to do some thinking and figure out a strategy or something. Thanks for the call and information. If you see or hear anything else, please let me know ASAP."

"I'll do that; have a good day as best you can."

"Thanks, you too." So I sat around and did some thinking and I wasn't sure how to act or react to this situation. Something has been going on for about 8 months and last week was the first time she had 'gone out' with him. But in 'going out' she probably went to bed with him as well. I really wasn't sure what to do. And the more I thought, the worse it got.

I was very quiet and withdrawn when she came home Tuesday evening. I had made a pot of sauce and angel hair pasta. I dished hers out for her then I went and watched the local and national news. She was on Facebook on her phone and I don't think she noticed that I didn't eat dinner.

When she was done eating she left her bowl and went to the master bedroom. I cleaned up after the news and then went to the computer room and closed the door. I knew we were getting up at 2:30 for her weekly Wednesday 5AM delivery so I hadn't asked what time to set the alarm.

I beat the alarm; I was having a nightmare of Laura dancing with a guy and him wrapping his arms around her. She did a half-spin, put her ass in his crotch and rubbed him for several seconds! He fondled her breast right there on the dance floor and she turned around again and was laughing and then she kissed him. I woke up wet with sweat and my pajama bottoms, a pair of Joe Boxer boxer shorts, were damp with pre-cum!

Our morning was quiet, restrained or tense might be a better word, as we ate breakfast and barely interacted. Thursday through Monday were on instant replay. Tuesday Laura left for work and the landline rang at 7:40. It was Tanya's number and I answered with a quiet, "Morning Tanya."

"You sound like your dog died. She told you about John?"

"No, we've barely spoken to each other since I talked to you last week."

"Patti said that John's going out again Thursday night and it sounded like she told you she was going out again."

"No she hasn't said anything about going out again; but there's still time, she told me that afternoon that she was going out that evening. She didn't give me any advance notice the last time. Actually she didn't tell me, she asked if it was okay if she went out and she volunteered that she was going with Sue and Yvonne."

"Oh okay. I just thought you'd want to know he was going out. If she doesn't go out I guess you have nothing to worry about."

"I'm still worried since you caught them in the office looking guilty. And the biggies are the 2 lies about who she went with and what time she got home."

"Yeah, well there's that too."

"Well, thanks for the heads-up; I may contemplate a response if she decides she'd like to go out Thursday night again. Thanks Tanya, have a good day."

"You too, bye."

Laura came home Tuesday night with a wide smile. I asked, "What's so good that you're smiling so nicely?"

"I got my pay stub, 2 of them. One's a bonus for the reduced shrink and it totals $1600 and change with taxes taken out."

"That's nice."

"What's wrong?"

"Why would you ask that?"

"Because for the last 4 or 5 days you've been very quiet; barely talking to me and not smiling at all."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Please talk to me."

"I'm really not in the mood to talk about it."

"Please honey, whatever it is we can figure out an answer."

"Not tonight Lar, not tonight."

"When do you want to talk about it then?"

I paused for a minute, thinking and said, "Thursday, we can talk on Thursday." Her face showed some...disappointment?

"I was thinking about going out again on Thursday night."

"Well, then we don't need to talk about what's bothering me" I walked away and closed the computer room door. I had my answer; she's seeing John and probably sleeping with him. She didn't follow me down the hall or mention the idea of talking about what the issue might be.

She left for work and my day was quiet, reflective. Laura was due home after 5; well that was her scheduled time. She called around 4:30 and said that Yvonne was going to be late, wouldn't get in until 7 or so; she would leave after she got Yvonne up to speed. I answered with, "Yeah okay" and disconnected. I made a sandwich and ate that watching the local news. Then the national news came on and I was watching that when a thought crossed my mind. Laura had called on her cell phone rather than the store line. And I wondered why. I put that thought on the side until Tanya would call again.

Laura came in around 7:40, calling on her cell again that she was on her way home. I didn't answer the call letting the machine answer. When she came in, the machine was still beeping the message alert. I was sitting on the toilet thinking.

Laura came in, cleared the message and called my name and I answered, "In here."

"Oh, that's why you didn't answer the phone. I was worried something happened and you couldn't get to the phone." I just gave her a glance and muttered, "Yeah whatever."

She walked into the bedroom and changed. I had flushed the toilet and washed my hands then returned to watch the balance of Jeopardy. She came to the living room in her robe and sat on the couch. When Jeopardy was over she asked, "Would you want to talk about your issue now honey? I have some time and we could..."

"Not really. Maybe you could discuss the situation with John tomorrow night while you are out with him." Her jaw dropped and her face went white.

After a few seconds she asked, "John, John who?"

"You know exactly who, your new beau from your sister store. The guy you went dancing with the other Thursday at the Back Porch and his house, horizontally at his house I imagine."

"How...how did you find out about John?"

"Really, Lar, you made it obvious to Tanya and you know she and I talk now and then. The 'discussion' in the office, not answering the page and her finding the two of you flushed and tugging on your clothes? How better to say 'we're having a thing' and we want you to know Tanya."

"Oh God honey. I forgot you and Tanya talk."

"Yeah, and going to the Back Parch with an unmarried Muslim woman, like that would happen. Was Yvonne actually late today or did you want an hour or so with John and then you would have said, 'we can talk Thursday night.' Move out, go live with him and leave me alone."

She sat on the couch for a while then got up and went down the hall to the bedroom. She didn't come out of the bedroom for the rest of the evening. I slept in the recliner in my clothes, felt like crap when I woke up because Laura was walking around in the kitchen.

I got up and went to make coffee. Laura looked at me and asked, "Do you want to talk this morning?"

"About what? I knew you were up to something no-good the Friday morning after you went out last time. You're planning to go dancing with John tonight so you should pack clothes and stay with him. If you want I'll get the big suitcase and you can pack enough for a week and then come get more stuff."

"I'm not going out tonight. How did you know on Friday morning?"

"What changed your mind? Don't want to go cheating on me once I know about it? I knew you were lying because I was up at midnight to go to the bathroom and you weren't home. I heard you come in at 1:13 but I wanted to see what was going to happen. Since you said you wanted to go out again and John told Patti he was going dancing tonight I figured you might as well just leave me. And the topper, the biggest red flag of all, Yvonne, an unmarried Muslim woman wouldn't go out dancing, now would she?"

"So you knew when I said I was going with Yvonne and Sue that I was lying to you then and you let me go?"

"Why shouldn't I let you go? I suggested you go out with some people; of course I didn't expect you to go fuck John for a couple hours before you came home. I'll go start packing your clothes Lar."

She started to cry. "I don't want to move out and I'm not going out tonight. I texted John and told him it was off tonight."

"Don't let me stand in your way of dancing and sex with him" as I walked down the hall and started to pack her suitcase to hopefully make a point. It was a 'do or die' strategy but I'm not into games. I'm just too old for head games; as my father used to say, shit or get off the pot (toilet).

12