A Career Girl Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers

Luke glanced at her quickly and then back at his computer, as if he was right in the middle of doing something, and not just trying to avoid ogling her again.

"Goodnight Mandy, and welcome to the company by the way."

"Thank you!"

She couldn't hide the surprise, and his second quick look at her was amused, although he didn't say anything.

Maria was slipping into her jacket as Mandy walked through reception.

"Are you off too?" she asked cheerfully.

"Yep, I've been told to go home." Mandy replied flippantly as they walked out to the car park together.

Luke stood looking out of his office window, he watched the two girls as they came into view.

Maria was tall and slender, with her light brown shoulder length hair, hanging straight and fine.

Mandy by contrast was petite, and very curvy; her red hair hanging in red coils around her shoulders, it reminded him of an open fire, with the flames dancing around the fireplace; it literally seemed to crackle with life.

He gave a grumpy little sigh as his phone began to ring.

"Hey there!" Peter enquired cheerfully. "How did your new assistant get on?"

"Oh she seems capable enough." Luke replied cautiously.

"But?" Peter was instantly alert to any potential problem.

"But, I just wish one of Claudia's questions had been about age." He sighed.

Peter laughed lightly. "Claudia says; 'that age is just a number, and you should remove its distraction, so that you can concentrate on getting to know the person'."

"That sounded like a direct quote?"

"It was." He laughed again. "I asked her the very same thing when she first came up with that sheet."

"Yes, well;" Luke gave another little sigh as he again tried to come to terms with the fact that his safely middle-aged assistant had turned out to be the firecracker, who had literally jumped on him once upon a time.

"Is there a problem little brother?"

Peter was all concern, and Luke pulled a face, his family were still a little cautious around him. He suspected that was the reason that Maria had come to work for him for the summer, just so she could keep an eye on him and report back to the family, if she had any concerns.

"I'm fine;" He reassured. "I'm just settling down; getting back into the swing of things."

"Well if there is anything I can do to help, you know you only have to say." Peter offered lightly.

"Thanks Pete." Luke smiled gratefully. "Stepping in last week for the interviews was a great help."

"Just remember to trust yourself." Peter advised softly. "Remember WHY you were running the company after dad."

"I know." Luke sighed. "It's just that, that year's sabbatical turned out to be more damaging than helpful in the long run, I think."

"You can do it Luke." Peter encouraged quietly. "But just keep in mind that I'm here, and you know that dad would jump at the chance to come in for a bit as an adviser, if you're at all doubtful about anything."

"I know, and I do appreciate the family support, but it's got to be a 'start as you mean to go on thing'."

The brothers sat chatting quietly for a little while, and by the time that he put down the telephone, Luke was feeling much more relaxed.

He felt confident in his ability to get to grips with the company once more. He knew that it wouldn't take too long before he could start to act on those plans and dreams he'd had when his father had been the one still in charge.

Luke was in total charge now and he WAS comfortable with that.

What he wasn't so sure about was his ability to keep his hands of the vivacious Mandy.

His relationship with Sheila had soured him as far as women were concerned. He'd thought that he would never be tempted by a woman again.

He'd met Louise at Ben's wedding, and she had flirted and laughed with him, making it obvious that she was amenable to something more.

But Luke had felt nothing. Her beauty was evident, and he knew that she would be good in bed; hadn't Ben hinted as much? When he'd invited her to the wedding he had done it with Luke in mind.

To have a quick affair with her with no emotional baggage would have been good for him, Ben was certain of that, he'd had to do some fast talking with Melinda to get her to agree. And she had, although with misgivings, she agreed to let Ben try and help his friend.

But Luke had been unmoved, and un-tempted by gorgeous Louise.

He chatted politely with her, feeling nothing, and feeling quite happy about that.

And then Penny had attacked him; and along with Penny; came a green eyed goddess.

He gave a little sigh as he remembered the feel of her in his arms; soft and feminine and oh so desirable.

The blood heated in his veins at just the thought of her, and he shook his head in disbelief.

Had he not learned a thing? He wondered impatiently. Women should be kept at a distance. Respected but treated with extreme caution.

The telephone rang again, and this time it was none other than his friend Ben on the other end.

"I've not seen you since the wedding." Ben complained lightly. "Try and pop in at some point, it doesn't have to be a rush thing; when it's convenient to you." He cajoled.

Luke smiled. "I'm sorry; I didn't mean to be so neglectful, I've just been snowed under."

"But you will try? It'll be a casual visit, we don't stand on ceremony over here, just a little chat and then you can be on your way again. Melinda is beginning to think that you don't like her."

Luke laughed. "All right; you've talked me into it. I promise one night this week I'll call in for an impromptu visit."

"I'm holding you to that."

He was still chuckling softly when he hung up the telephone again.

As he switched off his computer and locked up the offices he found himself whistling quietly.

He switched on the car's engine, and gave a little sigh as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, why the hell not?" he growled under his breath as he drove down the darkened streets.

**

Mandy arrived home and changed into something a little more comfortable, before cooking herself a simple dinner.

An hour or so later, she locked up her home and then set of to visit with her sister, Melinda and her new husband, Ben.

"Hey there!" Melinda cried out warmly, as she hugged her sister tightly.

"Anyone would think that you haven't seen me for ages." Mandy sniffed.

She sat down on the sofa and accepted the coffee that was offered.

"Now then, tell us ALL about it, and don't leave anything out." Melinda ordered as she put down the tray with three mugs of coffee on it.

"Where was it you are going to be working any way?" Ben asked curiously.

"Well as to that, you'll simply never guess in a million years." Mandy declared dryly as she picked up her cup and sipped at the fragrant brew.

Both of them looked at her with the curiosity simply shinning on their faces.

The doorbell went and Melinda gave a little groan.

"Hold that answer until I get back." Ben ordered as he stood up to go and answer the door.

The sisters sat chuckling quietly as they obediently waited for him to return.

They heard the sound of voices and a little shiver went down Mandy's spine.

That second voice she knew, she simply knew she knew it.

"I'm shocked that you've actually deigned to show up." Ben was saying as he walked back in to the room.

And hot on his heels; came Mandy's new boss.

"Good evening." Luke said quietly as he walked into the room, and seeing they already had a visitor. "I'm so sorry if I'm disturbing anything."

"Not at all." Ben reassured him sincerely. "Mandy here was just about to tell us about her new job."

Luke looked at Mandy and she was surprised to see a mischievous twinkle in his brown eyes.

"Oh was she now!" he declared enthusiastically. "I'm just in time to hear all about it then!"

He sat down across from her and looked at her eagerly.

"So you were saying Mandy, where is it you are working?" Ben prompted again when she remained silent.

Mandy looked at Luke with glittering green eyes. "Preston's Pharmaceuticals." She stated flatly.

Melinda gave her a blank look, but Ben chuckled in delight.

"Well I never." He declared with blatant amusement.

"I'm not sure that I know it; but it does ring a bell...." Melinda murmured in confusion.

Ben leaned forward his face alight with humour and a touch of wickedness. "I think I should be handing this over to you." He stated as he did just that and handed a plain white envelope over to Luke.

Luke took it curiously, as he glanced at Ben with a questioning lift to his brow.

Melinda looked more confused than ever.

And Mandy just wanted a bit hole to open up beneath her, and swallow her up completely.

"What is this?" Luke asked at he looked at the envelope.

Ben laughed again. "It's a reference that I've written on behalf of Mandy here." He paused for a moment. "It's for the attention of her new boss."

totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers
12