A Christmas Homecoming

Story Info
A Small Christmas Miracle.
1.4k words
4.4
10.9k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As I gazed out the window holding my mug of coffee, I admired the freshly fallen snow on the front yard and my car. My location was Montana and while I missed my family back home in Washington, snow was something beautiful to look at. After marrying my husband James, we moved to this snowy state to help him further his career as a construction worker and so far, the move wasn't so bad. I kept in constant contact with friends back home and had made new ones. But now it was Christmas Eve and I had no friends around; or a husband. A week ago, James' boss requested that he fly out to Florida to supervise a job site and being alone in our house was incredibly lonely. But today, that would all end when James came home; or so I thought. My phone ringing brought me back to reality so I set my mug down and answered. "Hey baby, are you at the airport?"

"I wish I was Sara but no...There was a freak hurricane this morning and don't worry, I'm ok but it means I can't come home."

For a second, my husband's words didn't register so I replied "what do you mean you can't come home? It's Christmas Eve!"

"I know baby, and trust me, I want to be home and in your arms so bad but everything's shut down. I'll try to get a flight first thing tomorrow morning but for now, it looks like I'm stuck. Listen, I have to go get a room at the hotel but I'll call you tonight...I love you."

I, between tears, chocked out the words "I love you too" before hanging up and collapsing on the couch. It was Christmas Eve and I had no one to share it with but more importantly, my loneliness wouldn't be cured tonight. James being gone and leaving me alone in this new house and new area was tougher than I imagined. But, I was going to remain optimistic. There was still time before Christmas arrived and feeling sorry for myself wasn't going to change anything. Wiping away the tears, I picked up my phone and began dialing friends. Earlier in the year, I had been invited to holiday parties but stupidly, I declined thinking I could have my own party with James. Just thinking of that brought a pain to my heart but I pushed through it as my friend Carol answered. "Sara! I wasn't expecting to hear from you tonight. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm ok but I was wondering if there was room at your party. James is stuck in Florida for another night and I could use some cheering up."

There was a slight pause before I heard the response "oh no honey I'm so sorry. But when you said you weren't coming, I invited my brother and his girlfriend and now the house is packed...But maybe I could move some stuff around."

Feeling incredibly embarrassed, I softly said "no, no it's ok, I'll be alright. I think I have some last minute decorating to do so Merry Christmas."

With that, I hung up only to find out everyone else I knew was busy. That was it; I was truly alone for the night. This was the first time I was alone around this time and I didn't know what to do with myself. I finally decided that if I kept myself busy, I wouldn't think of James so I pulled myself up, turned on some Christmas music, and prepped the kitchen to make cookies. As I was pulling out ingredients, the first song that played off my iPod was Wrapped In Red by Kelly Clarkson. Rolling my eyes, I thought 'of course...this is going to be a long night'. Trying to shake off the blues I was feeling, I began mixing all my ingredients, thinking back to the times I used to bake with my mom and my sister. When we were little, we would bake cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve and then when we grew out of Santa, we just did it for fun. Getting a sad smile to my face, I hoped they were all doing well and told myself I should call them tomorrow. I then realized through all of my thinking, I finished mixing so I put the dough on a cookie sheet and stuck them in the oven; all the while trying to find something to do while they baked. After a minute of no appealing thoughts, I just decided to relax on the couch with music playing in the background. I think somewhere in my mind I was hoping James would call but knew, realistically, he would be too tired from work. Tears started rolling down my face and for the first time tonight, I didn't stop them. I simply cried and thought if there were no flights tomorrow, I would be celebrating Christmas alone. This thought shook me too the core and made me realize how much I missed James. We had been married for a little under a year and I loved him so much. He was my best friend, my rock, my comedian, and someone I never wanted to lose. About 20 minutes later, the timer for the cookies was going off and my eyes were sufficiently puffy. After washing my face with a cool towel, I took the cookies out of the oven, put them on a plate too cool, then wrapped them for later; I wasn't much in the cookie mood and it was past 10. It was my normal bedtime so I prepared for that, not thinking I would get much sleep.

Two hours later, the clock read midnight and I had slept maybe a few minutes. One thing I had definitely not mastered was sleeping without James. The bed felt so empty and my mind couldn't calm down without his strong arms holding me tight. Staring at the ceiling, it felt as though I was going insane when I heard the front door open then shut. Every muscle in my body went stiff and my heart started pounding. How someone got in I had no idea but when the man entered the bedroom, I was about to scream when I heard a soothing voice say "baby it's me, it's me. I'm sorry; I didn't think you would be awake."

First relief flooded my bones then shock; it hit me that James was home so I rushed out of bed and embraced him in a tight hug. As I felt his arms hug me back, I knew everything was right in the world. He smelled faintly of outside air and Old Spice but to me, it was heavenly. But before I got too comfortable, I pulled away and said "way to scare the crap out of me! How did you get home?"

His eyes twinkled as he began shedding his coat and his shoes. "It's a Christmas secret."

The look in my eyes told him I wasn't joking so he broke down and continued. "Alright, if you must know, I got some help. Deciding against going back to the hotel, I took an hour long ferry ride over to the next town, discovered all the flights were canceled there too, and was about to give up when this guy approached me. He was a trained pilot with his own helicopter."

I sat on the bed with a look of shock on my face. "And he flew you back here just like that?"

Sitting next to me, James answered "yeah, it was amazing. I told him our situation and where we lived and it turned out he was coming here too. So I rode with him and here I am; I'm sorry I didn't call but it all seemed too good to be true."

I took my husband's hand and laid him down next to me, cuddling into his warmth. "It does seem too good to be true but you have no idea how happy I am that you're home. Merry Christmas baby."

James smiled and repeated "Merry Christmas" before kissing me lovingly.

Nine months after that incredible night, I gave birth to our baby girl Faith; and while we can't be positive, I have a hunch she was conceived on the night my husband's and I's Christmas wish came true. That's why we named her Faith; because throughout all the madness life throws at you, you should never lose faith-especially around the holidays.