A Dangerous Legacy Pt. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
madam_noe
madam_noe
1,845 Followers

After several minutes of silence, Andre kissed me and brushed some of my hair back. "I am sorry, my sweet, but we have just twenty minutes before dinner and we have to put in an appearance."

"I am the supreme sovereign ruler, can't they just fucking deliver a pizza? He'll, I'll conjure plates from the kitchen myself."

He laughed and traced a finger down the slope of my breast. "If I could I would selfishly keep you to myself here on this mountain all night long, but alas, Jericho and Olivia are due to return to service."

He pulled back and I raised up on my elbows, thinking hard. Now his finger caressed between my eyebrows and I looked at him questioningly.

"Whenever you are about to do something important, often I find you suspend your normal pragmatism and make a swift decision, like any good prince. But before you do, I can tell because a slight line forms here."

"Oh joy. I could spell that way."

"I'd rather you didn't. It's the warning before the storm."

"Storm?" I raised an eyebrow.

He actually grinned and stood, unselfconsciously naked. Stretching, he neatly distracted me for a long moment. Sighing, I used magic to transport the mess away and clothed us both.

"Anna, like any good ruler you are capable of making swift decisions, often because before a situation arises you have put great thought into all possibilities. That is rare among humans, rarer still among witches. It is what will make you a great ruler, but it does tend to create a whirlwind of activity the rest of us must catch up on."

I stood too and felt again that sense of purpose, as if fate were a series of moving connecting tubes constantly shifting forming new possibly paths, and one had just locked in. "Then you'd better learn to move faster if you're going to be my chief advisor."

Before he could reply I used magic to bring us back to the hut. Pierre and Julian were dressed in the tuxes from the night before, and Olivia was in shorts and a t-shirt helping Jericho with his tie. Diego bounded up to me and jumped against my leg. The second his furry paw touched my leg I felt my magic swell. As Valerius had taught me I pulled slightly and he yipped, tail wagging happily.

I waved my free hand at Andre and has him dressed, then got Olivia, and fixed Jericho's tie. Rubbing Diego I called hello to everyone staring speculatively at me and walked over to the treats jar and grabbed one for my familiar.

We had give or take just ten minutes, the time it took to walk, so I dressed myself. I chose a simple dress of green satin covered by black lace. I chose my favorite green fuck-me-pump and had the lingerie, jewelry, and make-up all done and set by the time everyone said hello.

Liv and Jerry were staring at me forlorn. I could read it all in their eyes. They had expected me to abuse and violate them, and until this final moment they thought it was coming, but it never had. Now, too late, they knew the freedom they had experienced, and in just two hours it would be gone.

"Not tonight," I said to them, ignoring their puzzled frowns. "Shall we go?" I addressed the group.

Andre waved off any questions from the others and took my arm. Julian set down a plate for Diego filled with chicken breast and vegetables. He caught my look and smiled as he took his place following us out.

"After dinner one of us can run back and let him out. We were swimming and lost track of time, so his dinner came late. He'll be fine."

"Love you, Diego," I called and we all walked out.

The sun had not completely set but the volcano shaded us, giving the illusion of dark. I strode with purpose wanting nothing more than to get dinner over with.

"What is tonight's entertainment?" I asked them all.

"There is to be an exhibition of every type of game. Valerius has offered to take you on a tour." Pierre spoke up.

"Oh, great. So, Andre, it's been too long since I read Machiavelli, what does he have to say on this?"

"We will be with you. You must only show interest in an activity that does not hurt the wolves," my alpha replied and smiled at the line between my brows I knew had appeared.

"Name one," I said, and of course no one answered. Wouldn't or couldn't, I couldn't say.

Damn it, Andre was right. In a way it was nice to have someone understand me so well, but it was irritating to have him know more about me than I did myself. Indeed I had been thinking, and there was only one piece of information left to the puzzle I was trying to solve.

So when we got there I sent everyone ahead but Andre who insisted on standing guard. Pierre I asked to find Valerius, who came out into the hall alone. Inside the dining hall I heard the murmurs of conversations, all witches. I could see through the door wolves dutifully watching the proceedings, but many watch med. Their eyes slid from Jericho and Olivia to me, questioning. I kept my face neutral in reply.

Andre watched me with speculation as well, but by then he knew not to ask my intentions.

Finally, Valerius arrived, wearing a slightly different tux expertly cut. He was magnificently handsome and once more it unnerved me that the man who looked all of thirty-five was over two thousand years old.

"My dear, you asked for me?"

I caught the eye of one of the wolves in the little uniform and the doors to the dining hall closed, leaving us three alone in the hall.

"Valerius, I want to know, how rigid are the customs of monarchy? Do I have no true power until I am crowned? Is there a ceremony?"

"Pardon me?"

His eyes went questioningly to Andre, and in that moment I softened towards him. Almost any other witch would have ignored my alpha wolf, seen him as less than a person. Even though it seemed to convey Andre was my keeper, the respect made me sigh.

"I don't mean to be so brusque. I just want to know if I can make a sweeping declaration that affects the entire world of witches at this very moment. Which I don't even know how large that is."

Valerius smiled. "You have two thousand eight hundred and seventy-nine subjects of witches, and some twelve thousand two hundred and nineteen of wolves."

The numbers made my head spin, but it gave me another idea for later. Andre reached over and gently traced a finger down the line I knew had formed between my eyebrows. I ignored the question in his eyes and implored Valerius to answer my own question.

"Yes, there will be a ceremony. Once you have completed training you must spend time with the Council, learn to rule. In three months you will be recognized by one and all. At that time you may make sweeping declarations. For the moment any policy you wish to introduce must be supported by the Council."

"Great," I said sarcastically. "All right, into dinner we go."

They each took an arm and Valerius walked us to our table, then went to his own. My other wolves looked at me and then Andre, who shrugged.

The first course had already been laid, a lovely vegetable soup, and I found I was starved from my afternoon exertions. So I raised my spoon and sighed. "Jericho, Olivia, would you like to work for me? I live in Chicago, back in the States."

They stared at me.

"I'll pay you. You'll be free to come and go as you please. No more of this slavery bullshit."

Two wide eyes swung to Andre who reached out to take my hand. "My dear, this would also make them of my pack. It is customary to ask an alpha if you with to expand his pack."

"Oh, shit. Hang on, Jerry, Liv. Andre, want some more wolves?"

He laughed, and it was a rich sound. The laughter spread to Julian and Pierre and earned us strange looks from the others. I noticed the blonde witch glaring at me again. Who the devil was that?

"Anna, I would be more than happy. Every alpha loves his pack, and I believe your intent is a masterful choice." With that semi-cryptic comment he dove for his own soup.

Famished, I polished off the soup and three rolls, then when the crab cakes came I downed two even at Julian's sensual wink. Spinach soufflé came next, then baked ham with potatoes Dauphinois and summer squash. After that came fruit and cheese, and finally pecan pie. By the pie I was too full for more, but at least my mind had calmed.

My personal pack had been explaining to the new recruits what Chicago was like. Jerry was old enough he no longer remembered where he came from, and he'd been on Thunder Island almost eight hundred years. Liv was British by birth, but had come to the island with her mother when she was only six, and that was two hundred years earlier. I could only marvel over that.

I danced hoping to work off some of the sumptuous food. Oh, it was good, but I missed Julian's cooking, and told him so when we danced. You would think my body would be completely warn out from carnal pleasures, but when Julian nuzzled my ear during our slow movements and whispered how much he enjoyed eating, I knew every wolf in the room could tell I was aroused. I couldn't bring myself to care.

Pierre was the best dancer for my mood. Lively and energetic, we laughed and moved together and indeed burned off any feeling of too much food. As the last song ended we stood there, looking into one another's eyes, and I knew in that moment if there was nay way to leave that world behind, abdicate my unwanted throne, and keep my loves, I would take it.

Then applause rang out and broke the spell, and I knew I was trapped. Forcing a smile I clapped for the band and took Pierre's arm as we met our pack. Julian returned from checking on Diego and then we only had to wait for Valerius and his pack.

As the doors opened and the crowd spilled out, Valerius appeared at my side, offering his arm. "Shall we? I do believe there are many things to enjoy. But first, shall we stop at the chess court so you may return your new friends?"

"Let's," I said, but winked at Liv who was staring at me with abject fear in her eyes.

Well, respect and faith had to be earned, and I would set out to do just that, I thought with resolve.

As a group, his wolves fell in, walking with mine and chatting among themselves. We left the resort's main building for the sand and it struck me how odd we all looked in night clothes on the beach. I suppressed a laugh as we wound our way along the path to the chessboard of doom.

The elder witch with the grey in his hair stood waiting, and behind him was the blonde witch who'd spent so much time glaring at me.

"Who is that?" I asked Valerius.

"Kenneth McDonald. Stay away from him." His tone was grave.

"Your highness," the silvered man said, and everyone bowed, even the wolves. "Welcome, I would like to invite you to play tonight against Kenneth of Ainslie."

"Yes," Kenneth said, his voice a growl of challenge. Behind him stood two lovely brunette wolves who looked...weather beaten was the only word that came to mind.

"No." I said firmly, and all conversation stopped. I saw in his hands Silver had the arm bands for Jericho and Olivia and I waved them off. "These two are mine now."

Silver's eyes slid to Valerius who showed no emotion as he replied. "She is the sovereign."

Kenneth snorted but a glare from Silver quieted him.

Bowing again slightly to me, the master of ceremonies for the chessboard made the bands disappear. "As is your will, majesty."

I felt a tick at the title, but no sense starting a pissing contest over something so small.

"Anything else?" he asked with a schooled neutral face.

I let my eyes drift to Valerius."I'll make no sweeping declarations. However, I and my pack will retire for the night and forgo any entertainments." Suddenly I felt as if the world stared at me agog. "Sorry, Val, I'm just tired," I whispered to Valerius with resignation.

I nodded to the others and turned to leave. Valerius jogged after me after hesitating for a moment, likely making apologies. "Anna! What are you doing?"

"Not getting myself any deeper into shit."

He stopped me with a hand on my arm and both our wolves uncomfortably watched, unsure what to do as I debated jerking free and storming off in a fine pique. "This vacation is your first public introduction as our ruler. We haven't had a queen since the days of the black plague! Don't alienate your people!"

I faced him, eyes narrowed. I felt my temper starting to boil, rattling my lid. "If I have to spend another evening watching wolves being tortured, no matter how nicely it might seem, I will be tempted to kill my own people."

"If you prefer to play against someone else, I know you like the chess-"

I pulled free and folded my arms. "No. What is the deal with Kenny anyway?"

Val's eyes glittered. "The long answer is that he is the son of a human who was your fifth-great-grandmother's brother, and his mother is a sorcerer of Malachai's. The short answer is that he feels so much time spent without a queen suggests we place a king upon the throne."

"Good! He wants it? He can have it!"

I blinked and magic had transported Val and I along with both our packs to a grand set of rooms, presumably his. I had a second to notice red, opulence, and antiques before an angry Valerius filled my vision.

"Anna! I understand the pressure you are under but do not ever say such things in front of others!"

"And why not? It's no secret this has all been sprung on me with no warning. God damn it, I don't want to be queen! I live in a democratic republic and I don't even vote. I'm an anarchist for chrissakes, which means I don't believe in rulers. I am unfit!" I stopped my tirade and looked around. No one wore an expression of judgment, but the commiseration I saw on many swam too close to pity.

I had been resolved to do the best I could but now there was a way out. "Val, really, why me? If Kenneth is a witch and shares the blood of the Inrisdotti line, why not him?"

"Leave us!" Val ordered, dark eyes surveying the wolves.

The other Anna led mine from the sitting room to a bedroom, and closed the door partially. I folded my arms and stared up at Val who looked once more like a Roman General on the field. I had a feeling I was a Germanic tribe of barbarians at that moment.

"Anna, you are the direct descendent. As I am sure you realize, at many points in our history our lines have expanded. Of the eleven original lines ten of them have multiplied to thousands, but one has remained pure. And that is yours."

Nearly in tears I threw myself to the Queen Anne sofa that matched the overtly red themed room. "I don't think I can take this, Val. I don't want to rule anyone. I'm not fit to rule anyone. And I can't take the stress of constant danger."

"What danger, Anna?"

I glared up at him, the man who had warned me to get knocked up because of obscure danger. "Alessandra could be dangerous. It's clear someone had been killing the women of my line. Each time it's the same story; an unknown lover, sneaking out, sometimes he is found with her, sometimes not, but names are withheld. Valerius, what is the Council trying to hide by keeping details from the official record? Does it have anything to do with Alessandra?"

He noticeably paled as he crossed to the little bar. He poured two glasses of sherry and brought one to me. I hated sherry but wanted a drink so thanked him and knocked it back like the plebian I was. Val sat next to me and his attempt to offer comfort by slinging and arm around my shoulder was so laughable, I started to snicker, feeling mad.

"Do you understand, Val? Every death is the same setting and set-up. But there are no details on manner of death. Any detective would still conclude it's the work of one person. Someone has told me it's not Malachi, it's one of our own. What is the Council covering up?"

Val waved his hand and I felt the magic cocoon us. I guessed it was a silence spell, one I had yet to try. "This goes no further than us, not even to our wolves." I nodded. "Alessandra is older than I've told you. She has been guardian of your line for seven thousand years. Throughout our history there have been large gaps between queens, it's why we have a Council. Someone must rule in your stead when you cannot.

"But as petty as Alessandra might be at her diminished power when a queen rises, she would never kill one of you. It's forbidden. The magic that made her guardian forbids her from doing direct harm."

"Then who has been killing my ancestors?"

"Anna, if someone thought themselves to be sovereign material, the only way to prove it would be if the assumed sovereign lay dead with no heirs. Anna, why do you think I have been after you to have a child? It's not a consort I seek, but your safety. As long as you remain childless Kenneth will covet your throne relentlessly, and he is foolish enough to kill you to prove magic will not die so long as he lives."

"Will it?" I whispered.

"If Kenneth sits the throne...he was raised in Malachai's court. Who knows what dark and twisted paths his mind has been forced to form? Would he subjugate good to evil, make us pets in a zoo?"

"Will it?" I repeated, grabbing his hand. "Will all magic die with me or is he a true heir to the throne?"

For the first time I saw true emotion fill through his eyes. Uncertain survival, the emotion that birthed fear, did more than flit, it settled in and filled out his fine-boned features. "I don't know."

madam_noe
madam_noe
1,845 Followers