A Dream of Empire Ch. 019

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alanna politely raised her hand, garnering a nod from the King. "Talos said to call more banners."

The Lord Castellan Bernard, who had so far been silent for the entire conversation, instantly interjected. "An easy request for a landless noble to make, but far more difficult for us landed in reality, where we are in the midst of harvest. None will answer the call with haste."

The King nodded, glancing at Solomon to urge him to speak. "I agree with Lord Bernard, sire. Any levy we push now would be met with excuse after excuse, not to mention that we're still unsure if this elven army even exists."

"And if it does?" the King asked.

"Wait out the storm, and crush them come winter," Solomon offered, leaning back in his chair. "Every town in the easterlands is built to sustain a six-month siege. The elves will starve before making any notable headway."

"Agreed," the Lord Castellan said.

"And I disagree, sire," the High Bishop said otherwise. "The longer Penelope remains on Mundus, the more likely elves will flock to her banner. A swift refusal of her will is required, if her will is indeed at work here."

"If I may attempt to further convince you all," Alanna quickly said before anyone else could reply. "As an enchantress, I am capable of pushing memories onto others. I'd like to show each of you the memories of Sorana, the elf who attacked us in the easterlands."

Getting no immediate objections, Alanna shut her eyes. She willed the memory of an elvish army marching westwards onto the four men at the table, before realizing that the King was warded. "Except for you, sire," she muttered. Alanna didn't see him smirk.

Only twenty seconds later did Solomon clear his throat, shaking the thought away. "I've changed my mind, sire. We should raise the levy."

"Of course you would be so easily swayed by a witch's trick," the Lord Castellan harshly rebuked. Solomon pointed at Alanna.

"Those elves flew the flag of Tor Asuria, amongst others. If our long-trusted allies to the east are suddenly marching against us, we'll absolutely need the levy."

"Again, this could be a ploy by-"

"By a woman too young to know of Asuria's battle standard?"

The King raised his hand to silence both men. "Enough. A fortnight hasn't yet passed since Alanna first came to us, informing us of an Orcish host that had befuddled and evaded our scouts. You all know how that turned out for us. There is no reason why she would lie to us now, and I will never again allow an army to catch us off-guard if I can help it. I vote in favor of levy, and in favor of marching eastward with the forces at my disposal."

"You cannot rely on the forces you have now, sire," the Castellan retorted. "They have already fulfilled their obligations of the call-to-arms, and are now free to disband."

"Which is why I am ever-thankful that our celebratory feast is tonight," the King commandingly replied. "I will address the men, and urge them to stay on to counter this new threat. If enough agree, we can ride out on the 'morrow and harry the supply trains of our enemies, until the levies are raised and mustered. Solomon, send ravens to every nearby County, asking for whatever men they can muster; in return, they can skip next year's tax season. Oh, except for Count Pierre; he still owes us for deferring last year's. Send another raven to Solais, to the Freewind Company, and remind them of their obligation to our country as spelled out in the Homeland Defense Decree."

Solomon rose from his chair, placing his fist on his chest, and bowed. "At once, sire."

"This High Council meeting is adjourned, three votes to one in favor of levy," the King swiftly declared, snatching the glowing red stone from the table. The stone lost its radiance in his grasp, and quickly returned to normalcy by the time he'd pocketed it. "Alanna, Tanya, I cordially invite both of you to our feast tonight, where you'll be granted places of honor at the high table. Additionally, please accept my offer of a room in the East tower, which the Lord Castellan will now lead you to."

"We'll accept both food and room, of course. Gratitude, sire," Alanna answered for both herself and Tanya. The King's study was soon emptied of occupants after brief farewells, and the girls were then led towards the East tower by a less-than-eager Castellan Bernard.

-=-=-

The pair of lovely sorceresses were given ample quarters for the night; the entire top floor of the East tower, which had been renovated into an exquisite guest room suited for visiting dignitaries. The large square room featured eighteen paned windows along its upper walls, full plumbing for its toilets and corner bath, a fireplace two sizes larger than the one in Tanya's tower, a full-length mirror and boudoir near the door, and a bed so plush and massive one could call it 'king-sized'.

Alanna immediately set to preparing herself for supper. She decided to look her very best tonight, knowing she may have the eye of the King as well as much of the nobility of Solais. And she'd already ruined her first and second impressions with the King, by arriving before him as a disheveled mess and warning him of impending woes. Alanna decided that he needed to see that she was someone far more complicated and useful than a harbinger of doom. She desperately wanted to improve the King's perception of her.

First and foremost a hot bath was drawn, the first true wash Alanna had had for a week. She washed the grime of several day's travels from her body, and shaved what she needed to. Her long blonde hair was next, lovingly brushed for twenty minutes before being straightened by gentle fire magics, then given body with a touch of wind. She decided on wearing an outfit tonight which had originally been packed for Talos' benefit; a decently-short red skirt which only fell to her knees, black stockings, and a black-and-red bodice which pushed her cleavage up and together. A natural-looking layer of makeup was applied next, a ten minute excursion on its own.

After all was said and done, she had Tanya braid her hair into an exquisite pattern; something the sorceress was quite familiar with, having grown up with two younger sisters in Redstone. Alanna sat at the edge of the bed, gazing and smiling at herself in the mirror as Tanya, kneeling atop the bed, silently weaved her hair from behind.

Ten minutes into the exercise, Alanna finally found the will to tear her gaze away from her own lovely visage. She looked onto Tanya instead.

"You're lost in thought, Tanya. What's up?" she calmly asked her. Tanya gave her a quick glance through the mirror before returning her attention to Alanna's hair.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just pondering on the High Bishop's words during the council meeting... drawing silly conclusions of my own... you know; the usual," Tanya answered with a smile.

"What silly conclusions?" Alanna bubbly persisted.

"Well... it sounds strange, but... if Cass is truly from the heavens, but didn't yet know it when we knew her... that would mean that any one of us could be divine as well. Hypothetically."

"Are you saying you're a goddess, Tanya?" Alanna giggled. Tanya shook her head, chuckling.

"No, no, not at all. But, when the High Bishop mentioned Penelope rather than Kianra, I was reminded of some old stories my gran used to tell me of her and her husband Pelagius. Essentially, Penelope often found ways to get herself lost, or at least found ways to get herself separated from him... which in turn would cause Pelagius to then spend all of his time searching for her, as he loved her more than anything else in the aetherius. Like, um, in one of the stories Penelope challenged Pelagius to a race over the sea, but her vessel soon got caught in a storm, and she ended up on an island with faeries and giants and all sorts of magical creatures. Anyway, those stories are cited as the reason why some people can live loveless lives, even when there's an omnipotent god of love and devotion; because he is so very distracted."

"My gran told me the same stories," Alanna smiled.

"Right? Then I wondered, if Cass is Penelope... then Talos could be..."

"Pelagius?" Alanna smirked.

"I warned you it was silly," Tanya giggled as she continued to work Alanna's hair. "But, it... makes a little sense, don't you think? The fact that he's so very determined to find her, even before thinking of his own safety or of his own troubles? That... that spark that he has in his eyes sometimes? His ability to impregnate not one, but two sorceresses? I don't know," she smiled. "Just a thought. Pelagius is also the god of virility, after all."

"It's certainly an intriguing idea," Alanna admitted. "And I certainly wouldn't mind loving and fucking a god. Marrying one, even. Though, it's also quite presumptuous."

"Agreed," Tanya replied with a smile. She released Alanna's hair, then placed a hand on Alanna's chin to tilt her gaze. "How do you like it?"

The enchantress admired Tanya's handiwork in the mirror for one long moment, smiling and teasing her hair about with gentle movements. "I love it! Do you want me to do yours?"

"No need," Tanya warmly replied with a pat of Alanna's shoulder before bouncing off of the bed. "Simple twin-tails for me tonight, methinks. I dare not steal any of your attentions."

"Mmm. Yet you always do," Alanna teased as she bounced off of the bed herself. She smoothed out her skirt. "How's my outfit?"

Tanya gave her a once-over, grinning. "Sultry. If I may be so bold and steal one of Talos' lines, I'd say it'd look even better on the floor," she giggled.

Alanna laughed in turn, gently swaying her hips. "Perhaps I'll let you put it there after supper?"

"And perhaps I'd very much enjoy that," Tanya softly admitted, blushing. "I need to get ready. We've only a quarter-hour before we're expected downstairs."

"Get on, then," Alanna warmly replied. "I'm leaving without you otherwise."

"Oh! You'd never."

"Try me," Alanna challenged with a hand on her hip, inciting Tanya to haste action. Alanna watched her as she quickly brushed out the knots her hair, put on a light coating of blush, then pulled her dress over her head. Only when Tanya was down to her small clothes did she look at Alanna through the mirror.

"Must you watch me dress, Alanna?"

"Watch you? I'm already half-a-mind to find my supper between your legs, rather than downstairs."

Alanna appreciated Tanya's soft laugh, then enjoyed the sensual gait in her steps as she strolled towards her clean clothes for the night. "Doesn't sound very nutritious," Tanya murmured as she dressed.

"I suppose it's best left for dessert, then," Alanna shrugged. Her mind swiftly turned to sweets at the mention, and hoped there would be actual dessert served at the feast tonight. Oh, how long it's been.

The girls made their way downstairs ten minutes later, once Tanya was convinced of her utter and complete beauty by one aroused enchantress. There they were met by a hundred and five men; the lords, knights, and men-at-arms of the King's army. Other than Alanna and Tanya, the massive hall of many tables was devoid of women.

The sorceresses were then guided by a servant to their respective seats at the high table, and Alanna felt a pang of dread when she realized she and Tanya were to sit slightly away from one another. Alanna was to sit right beside the King at the center of the table, whilst Tanya was forced to sit four chairs down on the opposite side, betwixt a Count and a Lord; a place of honor, surely, but not quite as honorable as Alanna's. Alanna wondered what she'd done to deserve such a prestigious.

Alanna drank in the thousand thousand lewd compliments thought by the host of men as she awaited the King's company. She warmly greeted Solomon, the King's Chancellor, when he found his seat opposite her, and greeted the Castellan and Bishop as well when they too were seated. Only a quarter-hour had passed by the time the King graced the hall with his presence.

The food came next. The King explained to one fascinated and starving enchantress that there were four courses to be served tonight, and Alanna hoped her fluttering chest would calm long enough to eat her fill. She felt incredibly nervous seated where she was; both by the physical attentions received by the King to her left, and by the neural compliments thought of most everyone when they looked her way.

Hoping to shy away from it all for a time, she dove into the first course when it arrived before her; a plate of fresh lettuce with fresher vegetables mixed in. Unfortunately for Alanna, however, the King soon reached out to her for conversation.

"So. Tell me, Alanna," the King said between bites of food, "what are your plans now, now that Talos is ever so close to his goal? Perhaps a haste return home, wherever that may be?"

"No, sire," she politely replied. "As I've not the ability to return home. Catriona, that is. On the west coast of the Empire. It's a long story."

"And yet there's still three more courses to be had tonight," Alfred mused, nobly showing his interest as he took another bite of lettuce and carrots. Alanna smiled.

"Well... you remember the Emerald Moon?" she asked.

"Of course. What gods-fearing man wouldn't?"

Alanna swished her hair back-and-forth, coyly replying, "well, Talos and I... may have had something to do with it, sire. Not intentionally, or anything, but... um, well, the Imperial Inquisition cares not of intentions, really, and so we're now exiled for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was pondering a move to Tardia, where they wouldn't have jurisdiction to pursue us. Um, sire."

"Alfred," the King corrected her with a bow and a smile. He pointed his silver fork at her as he replied, "you know, that Moon has caused us quite the myriad of problems here in Solais."

"I-I've heard. Apologies, sire," Alanna blushed, looking towards her full plate of greens. She silently chided herself for bringing up the subject, but felt a flush of relief when Alfred laughed.

"My lady, please do not apologize to me," he said. "I'm not nearly as obstinate as the Inquisition, nor would I blame you even had you caused the Event yourself." Alfred looked over his left shoulder, then past Alanna, and leaned in to whisper, "but I am more than curious on how the Event took place. Perhaps later, when there are fewer probing ears nearby?"

Alanna nodded, returning Alfred's smile when he leaned back in his chair. "O-of course, sire. Though, I'll warn you now that I'm not the best story-teller."

"Likely more interesting than listening to another tax report, in any case," Alfred chuckled. He took another bite of salad, and Alanna quickly indulged herself as well, finally finding her chance. It was delicious; the freshest, sweetest carrots she'd ever tasted. She quickly took another bite, then another still.

"You know," Alfred continued while Alanna's mouth was stuffed, "Solais is also outside of the Inquisition's jurisdiction."

Alanna timidly swallowed her food, then washed it down with a sip of wine. "Mm. Indeed it um, is, sire."

Alfred pressed on. "Tell me, Alanna, how are you finding my Kingdom so far? I find myself wanting for a mage's honest evaluation."

She cleared her throat, looking towards her plate again. Her true opinion wasn't in the cards here, at least not in the presence of the King.

"It's... charming, sire, and I can see why some would appreciate it," she answered as politely as possible. She nodded towards Tanya, sitting four chairs to her left on the opposite side of the table. "Although, Tanya and I teleported in near Sarum, so I've yet to see the capital. I was briefly in Rinoc last year, though, and that was quite respectable."

The King snorted with laughter, shaking his head. "I said an honest evaluation, Alanna, not one fit for a court."

"Well, it's... it's not for me, sire," she murmured with a blush, wishing she could turn invisible as she slumped in her seat. Alfred chuckled again, raising a hand across the table.

"You hear that, Solomon? It seems Alanna finds our countryside quite uninspiring," he loudly declared. Alanna bit her lip, hastily glancing away.

"She's a keen eye, sire," Solomon monotonously replied, nodding at her before returning to his plate. Alanna looked on him, and then at the King in disbelief; were these men of power truly disparaging their own country?

"And I'm one to agree with her," Alfred chuckled, returning his friendly gaze to Alanna. "Oh don't look so surprised, Alanna. The countryside wasn't conquered and held on to for it's charm or culture, I can promise you that. I'll also suggest that you see the capital before you return to the Empire; it's impossible to truly judge a nation named after a single city without doing so, after all. I guarantee that viewing a single sunset over the Bay of Solais will shift your perspective considerably."

Alanna nodded, smiling. "I-I will, sire."

Alanna wondered how she would survive another three courses of food, especially when her wine glass was routinely and diligently filled by eager servants over the course of the night. She found being the guest of honor for a King was quite the tiring effort, and she found herself imbibing more of the drink than she usually did, to escape a pointed question here or an awkward inquiry there.

Alanna was haste to remove herself from the fray when she had to visit the privy. Alfred was a good man, true, and would likely be very simple to talk to if he weren't one of the most powerful men in the world. But, he was, and Alanna was finding it quite difficult to censor every little word that came out of her mouth, especially with the loosened tongue that her wine had provided.

The men of the long table - and Tanya, who had also been granted a seat there - were indulging in plates of pork and assorted legumes when she returned from the privy. The King nodded to her when she returned, then raised a hand to get the attention of a nearby servant. Her chair was subsequently pulled out for her, and a steaming plate of pork was placed before her. She almost cried when she smelled it's wafting aroma, having not eaten so well since... ever. Only then did she notice the sparkling glass of water near her plate.

"I took the privilege of replacing your wine with water for a time, but feel free to inform the staff if I was mistaken," Alfred explained before returning his attention to his plate.

Damn him, Alanna thought. Alfred's natural intuition and warded mind gave him every advantage in both conversation and in supping; she had wanted water instead of wine minutes ago, but hadn't wanted to appear rude. Perhaps she was over thinking things?

"Gratitude, sire. I was just thinking the same," she smiled, picking up her silverware. She licked her lips as she greedily looked on her plate, and dug in a moment later when Alfred appeared occupied as he conversed with some Lord or another across the table. Alanna listened on, not at all understanding the intricacies of Solaisian politics, but at least pretended to be interested as she chowed on the delicious meat in front of her.

Twenty minutes later, however, when the King still refused to speak with her... she felt as if she were almost ignored. She'd planned out everything this night to make a good impression on the King, from her intricately-braided hair to her extensively-applied makeup, even finding the gall to wear and don a shorter skirt than usual, yet so far had only come off as some timid peasant girl. Alanna pondered her next topic of conversation, and was just about to reach out to Alfred as he rose from his chair and proposed a toast to the entire hall.