A Dream of Empire Ch. 024

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Trumpets suddenly blared from an unseen location, stopping the party in their tracks. Vindare held up a hand.

"Present!" she shouted. Ever soldier to their left and right simultaneously faced the palace, their boots stomping and their shields loudly thunking against the ground. The palace doors then swung open.

Six elven maids emerged at first, all wearing garb similar to Vindare; white dresses or skirts under armor of white-and-gold, their hair either loose or woven into intricate braids. They stood in a line facing Talos and his party, their gazes fixed solely on him.

Then... she came. The air around them suddenly calmed as the Queen of Cindervale came forth, as if the breath of an entire world was suddenly stolen away.

Her long white skirts trimmed in gold, slitted in the front to show off her legs as she moved, fluttered in a breeze that existed only for her. A white fur miniskirt and white fur boots were all that covered her legs from the front, and a figure-hugging bodice was all she wore up top, save for a long white cloak that rippled in the wind just as her skirts did. White-gold jewelry was worn wherever possible; on her forehead, on her neck, on her wrists, on her fingers, and especially around her waist, where a white-gold belt bearing the worlds largest emerald stood fast. She presented herself as the perfect amalgamation of exhibitionism and elegance, and as she stepped forward with eyes only for one, everyone else's were glued to her.

Casiama had clearly given her all to impressing Talos this day. But it was those knowing green eyes of hers, accompanied by a kiss of wind that brushed against Tanya's lips, that convinced her of Casiama's divinity. The clothes, the army, the palace, why, all of that was merely for show - a display of the tangible power that Casiama now possessed. If anything, all Tanya deigned from the exposition was that she was severely underdressed for the occasion.

"Hail to the Queen of Cindervale! Hail Casiama!" the handmaiden closest to Casiama hollered.

"Hail Casiama!" the soldiers all around them shouted in unison.

"Hail to the Windbringer! Hail Kian'ra!"

"Hail Kian'ra!"

The silence succeeding the second chant was more than a little unnerving. Tanya looked to Talos for guidance, only to find him standing in place, smirking, as if a meeting betwixt two gods was just another casual thing. Alanna then realized for the two of them that he was goading Casiama into closing the distance between them; certainly a rude notion when dealing with Kings and Queens, but likely utter blasphemy when dealing with the gods. Yet she came nonetheless, her light-brown hair, long skirts, and heart aflutter.

"Talos... how I have missed you so," Casiama softly greeted as she neared.

"Likewise."

"I am... so apologetic for our last encounter. I prayed every night that you would find it in your heart to forgive me. Have you?"

Talos crossed his arms. "That remains to be seen. As of yet, you have done nothing to restore my trust, Cass. Only haunt my dreams."

Casiama, the Bestower of the Infinite Sky and the Bringer of Every Wind, clutched her skirts and frowned.

"I understand. Would you like to come inside, Talos? Share some coffee and chat? Alone?"

She was nervous. Tanya almost felt superhuman when she noticed the unnoticeable signs; the way she tilted her head ever-so-slightly. The gentle quaver on her lips. The way her hands fiddled with the fabric of her clothes. How she hurried out her wish to be alone with him. Tanya wondered if she used to do the same things before yesternight, and why it'd been so difficult to discern these signals in the first place.

He promised you that he wouldn't see her alone. Remind him, Alanna projected.

Tanya unelegantly kicked Talos' shin.

"Coffee sounds good. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like Tatiana to join us. I've come to find her opinion invaluable of late."

The goddess glanced in Tanya's direction, her brow furrowing a pinch. Tanya didn't look away.

"Of course," Casiama replied through her teeth. "In that case I shall have Sarandel, First of my handmaidens, join us as well."

"Sure," Talos nodded.

Tanya felt a bit guilty for meddling and forcing their reunion to take a formal turn, but Alanna had been in the right. She and Talos followed Casiama and her favored maid - the blonde-haired, blue-eyed elf who had been the one to introduce her - up the steps of her palace and through the wide archway. Many observers behind them looked on for a time, but eventually dispersed.

"I take it I had to wait at the pass so you could set up that ceremony, huh?" Talos asked as they stepped into the expansive entry hall of the palace. Casiama twirled about, hiding her hands behind her back.

"All-too-perceptive, Talos," she teased. "I hope it was not too long a wait." Talos mumbled, decidedly not answering her directly.

Tanya studied the marble statues depicting various gods and goddesses that they passed, which lined the intricate white-and-gold carpet they now walked upon. The massive carpet was laid in the center of the hall, and led towards a throne made of white wood at the opposite end of the room. They walked right past it.

"Apologies for the lack of decorations," Casiama haughtily continued as she twirled about again. "The sorceresses of the Vale insist that I let them finish the palace, but I feel as if a dam and a working sewer system are of more importance," she shrugged. "Speaking of, did I assign a handmaiden to look into those, Sarandel?"

"Maloria, your eminence. She should have a report available tonight if you are not, um, busy," Sarandel replied with a glance in Talos' direction. The Queen giggled.

"I suppose that 'remains to be seen', as it were. Let her know we will hear the report in the morning."

Tanya knew what this was all about. Casiama was flaunting her new role in the world to awe Talos, and the worst thing was... her flourishes were working. Talos looked damn impressed by it all, as if he were wondering what he'd been doing with his own life 'til now. Or, maybe that was all in her head.

The four of them turned left down a smaller corridor at the end of the hall, passing by the kitchen, several female cooks, and all manner of assorted foodstuffs that Tanya could have simply devoured at the moment if given the chance to do so. It had been a hard few days on the road.

"Send for coffee to the sun room, if you would?" Casiama asked of her maid. Sarandel curtseyed, and strolled into the kitchen on her lonesome while Casiama, Talos, and Tanya made their way to the end of the corridor, up a spiraling staircase, and into an alcove on the second floor.

The sun room, as it turned out, was a small abode with large pane windows overlooking the bay and much of the town of Cindervale, and had a handful of comfortable-looking reading chairs and recliners. Casiama laid herself into a heavenly pose on the recliner nearest the windows, whilst Tanya decided to sit with Talos on a nearby loveseat.

Talos sighed. "I have to admit Cass, all of this is a bit much. I had no idea that, uh..."

"No idea of what?" she asked with a smile and puffed-out cheeks.

"That you were doing so well in my absence. It's not that I was wishing for anything else, but it is surprising."

"Oh, Talos!" she giggled mercilessly. "I'm so sorry! I have not been forthright with you. You see, I have been dreaming of this day for months, and so I have had months to prepare. I had Vindare walk you through the best parts of the forest, down the main street of town, and even enlisted a good company of citizens to serve as my guard! I do not even have an army! Only a militia! And that rainbow over the ocean? Just an illusion!"

Talos chuckled heartily at the well thought-out deception, despite his best attempt at remaining inscrutable. "Gods damnit, Cass."

"The only differences between my dreams and reality were that you did not show up alone, nor did you embrace me without saying a word. Ah..." she sighed happily, "but you have good reason not to, I am sure."

"Just worried you'd rant about slaughtering humankind again," Talos shrugged and laughed.

"Oh!" the elf giggled, wiping a tear from her eye. "Well, how have you been? What adventures have I missed?"

"Just the one to find you, really. Tatiana and I saved a Kingdom from an army of Orcs. I was the Champion of the arena in Solais for a time. Um... oh, I met a succubus."

"A succubus? Like the tales?" Casiama grinned.

"Not quite, though she did have a tail. And no, I didn't sleep with her."

"Well, that's a relief! What about, um...?" Casiama asked, pointing at her own head. Talos swept a hand forward.

"Gone. She's her mind-mate now," Talos answered with a nudge of Tanya's arm. She smiled, but not nearly as brightly as Casiama did.

"I am sorry. That must be very difficult for you," the elf replied with a failed attempt to stifle her grin. She glanced to the corner of the room. "Ah, Sarandel! Good to see you."

The blonde handmaiden entered the sun room, handing a small cup of coffee to Talos first, then offered one to Casiama. No cup was offered to Tanya - not that she would have accepted one. Sarandel then plopped down on the recliner by Casiama's feet.

"Have no fear of Sarandel's presence, Talos. I have confided in her much of late, and she knows everything there is to know about us."

"Hopefully not everything," Talos smirked, flicking his gaze towards the handmaiden. Sarandel blushed.

"Oh yes, even that," Casiama chuckled. "It has been a long two seasons without you, and even I sometimes like to boast."

Even the admission itself is a boast, Tanya mused.

"Nonsense, your eminence. It is I who ask for details," Sarandel softly reprieved her Queen as her cheeks only got redder.

"Sarandel! What did I say about calling me that in private?" Casiama giggled, shaking her head. "Anyway, that is her. And what is Tatiana to you, Talos? I recall she was a friend when last we were last together, but nothing more."

"You're right, but a lot has changed since then. When you disappeared, she was the one who helped me find you; from porting us place to place, to taking me and Alanna in, to knowing which direction to travel, to saving my life on more than one occasion. I almost feel naked when she isn't with me. She calls herself my personal sorceress, though I'm pretty sure we're just deep friends."

A lie of omission; exactly what Talos said he wouldn't do. Curious...

"Nice try, Talos, but is it really so simple? I am sworn to you, after all," Tanya warmly corrected, noticing Talos' nervous twitch.

"And that," he hastily interjected. "Well, it's nice to meet you Sara - can I call you Sara?"

"Uh, cer-certainly. If you will it, my lord," the handmaiden formerly known as Sarandel bowed.

"Great. Gotta say Cass, I love what you've done with the place. Didn't expect much more than a few hovels really. Did any of it preexist your arrival?"

"None of it did," Casiama smiled. "When we first arrived here in the Vale, there was nothing. It was not the fertile land promised by that violet king. The grass wept and withered, and the rivers ran black with ash. But, then the most curious thing happened. A storm brewed, violent and unforgiving, which harried us for seven days and seven nights. And as we huddled in our shelters, unbeknownst to us, the land soon teemed with life. Under those dark clouds many new roots were built. Under every raindrop, a story."

Casiama tilted her gaze towards the window and stared out over the sea. Her voice was calmed. Heavenly. "The storm eventually parted, and the sky enriched anew. The most magnificent rainbows, wispy clouds of white... and I was so happy Talos, because it was then I knew; all of that is me."

Casiama paused, gulping.

"It was seen as a miracle, a paradise formed out of dust and ash. And how could it not? And even today the rains still continue, gifting a gentle sprinkling upon every morning. For I will them to come on every sunrise."

"... Directly?" Talos inquired, leaning towards the elf. Casiama turned her bright, whimsical smile back towards him.

"Yes. I will the rains overhead, and I disperse them in the same manner. I even bring in the ships when they have no oars, and help push back them out when they are ready. And it is not easy, Talos. It's effortless."

"That's... incredible, Cass. Have you learned anything else? Seen the heavens again?"

"No. Nothing of importance," she softly replied. "It is only faith that brought me this far, and it seems, so far, that's enough. Have you?"

"Nah," he muttered. "But there's this woman back in the Empire who I want to visit again. A seeress, one renowned for her prophecy. I think she was aware of our status all along. She actually helped lead me here, and told me to return to her when I found my princess, but... you are so much more now. You've changed so much, Cass."

"But I am still your princess," she beamed. "Talos, I dream of you all the time, and I have been absolutely faithful in your absence. Sarandel, tell him!"

"She has been chaste to the extreme, my lord," the handmaiden quickly concurred. "In fact, she does not allow herself to be alone with anyone but her handmaidens, lest rumors spread."

Oh gods. Tanya hoped the rest of Cindervale wasn't as sycophantic as this one.

"I've dreamt of you similarly. I'm just, uh... stunned. Stunned that you're before me. Stunned that you changed so quickly. What happened to all that about burning down the realms of man?"

"Huh?" she frowned. "I thought that obvious, Talos. Was it not clear that I had forsaken prophecy to follow you instead? I had the violet king at a hundred knife points and his army surrounded, yet I did not strike."

"Yeah, uh, I guess it was. Speaking of, thanks for protecting Alanna that day. You didn't have to."

"Hm," Casiama blushed. "You noticed my ploy ... my love?" The last two words she uttered seemed forced, like when a schoolgirl decides to make a crush aware of her feelings.

"Yeah," Talos smirked, his eyes suddenly sparked by flame. Casiama matched his smile, and the two of them only gazed at one another for a long moment or two, blaze to burning blaze.

It was more than a bit awkward, until Talos cleared his throat.

"Mm, Tatiana - I think I got this from here."

What?!

"Yes!" Casiama excitedly exclaimed. "I mean, um, Sarandel, w-would you escort our lovely sorceress outside? Talos and I will remain here for a time."

"Uh, right. Right here," Talos agreed with a nod. Sarandel and Tanya glanced at one another, one grinning whilst the other pouted. The handmaiden lept to her feet.

"Yes, your eminence! Right this waay, sorceress!" she sang. "I believe our divines have some cats to - um, what was it called, my lady?"

"Catching up to do," Casiama giggled, her happy eyes never leaving Talos' own. Tanya scrunched her nose, and lifted herself to her feet; the only thing that stayed her mouth was that she didn't sense deceit.

-=-=-

"Well, that was certainly quick," Alanna commented plainly when Tanya met her outside but a few minutes later. "What happened? Where are they?"

"They're..." Tanya sighed, "fucking. Definitely fucking."

"Aw! That's wonderful!" Alanna squealed, spontaneously deciding to dance a jolly jig. "So, what about living arrangements? Food and drink?!"

"They didn't make it that far."

"Oh. Right, of course not," she murmured, lowering her arms and staying her feet. "Well, Talos won't last long with her. And Cass doesn't know the spell of rejuvenation."

"That isn't very encouraging," Tanya snorted, showing a hint of smile. She looked off towards the bay. "You didn't see their eyes, Alanna. It was as if two pairs of smoldering embers were suddenly gifted bursts of life. I'd never seen him so pleased."

"But that's good! Talos has been wanting this for half a year, and, you said it yourself, we should trust him in this," Alanna giddily reassured her, wrapping herself around Tanya's back. Tanya clutched one of her hands.

"I suppose you're right," Tanya whined. "Oh, but I'm starving. Cass had all manner of foodstuff in there, and we just walked right past them."

"Did I hear you right, gloomy one?" a haughty voice asked from behind, completely unannounced. "Casiama and her human are reunited once more?" Alanna spun the two of them about to meet Faranya, who had the babe Talos cradled in her arms.

"Yep! And all it took was a couple minutes' chat," Alanna beamed.

Faranya gave her a gentle smile. "I will never understand how one could be so pleased that their lover lays with another. But, no matter. I also overheard your need your supper," the elf explained with a twitch of her ears. "May I invite you to my home? It is not nearly as glamorous as the one we stand before now, but the food is just as delectable. As is the wine."

And we called her a harlot!

"We'd be most appreciative. Thank you," Tanya softly answered. "May we bring a guest?"

"You mean that obnoxious miscreant bothering half of Casiama's guard?" Faranya smirked, nodding towards Emmanuel who was, as expected, hassling three unamused handmaidens at once. "Sure."

-=-=-

Faranya's promise of good eats and drink had not been made in vain. Together, the four of them supped on breads, greens and wines within Faranya's quaint cottage, which was situated a quarter-mile or so within the colorful forest of trees and away from the town proper. It was far enough outside Cindervale to be a quiet and restful place, but also seemed somewhat cloistered; not that Tanya was the one judging on that matter.

She, Alanna, Emmanuel and Faranya conversed for the better part of two hours, discussing their lives, their troubles, their victories, and so on. On her part, Tanya ensured that the conversation never drifted towards the Remillans or their return from exile, figuring she would leave that to Talos for whenever he arrived.

But Talos never came. At the two hour mark, Tanya figured he and Casiama were merely supping at the palace. At two-hours-thirty, she was starting to wonder if Talos was expecting them to come to him, rather than the other way around. And at three hours, she was nearly convinced that Talos would leave her and Alanna for good, to pursue Casiama monogamously.

Sweetie. You're worrying.

I need to know! Tanya projected to her mate with wide eyes and a pout. Cover for me.

Alanna laughed loudly and obnoxiously, stealing the attentions of Faranya and Emmanuel. "That is funny!" she warmly replied to some thought or another. "Say, let's go outside and watch the stars for a time. I'm dying to take advantage of the bug-less forest."

Faranya nodded. "It is a perfect night to do so. We could visit my private grove up the hill, where I have all manner of luminescent plant growing quite proudly."

"Sure!" Alanna grinned.

Darn it. That sounded like a delightful time. "I-I'll catch up with you guys later. I need to, um, revisit the palace to retrieve my things. Because, um, I forgot my things. At the palace."

Smooth, darling. Regardless of how guilty Tanya sounded, neither Faranya nor Emmanuel paid her much mind as she slipped away from the group and hastily returned to town.

And, Faranya was right; it was a perfect night. It was so nice in fact that Tanya's worries almost fell away as she sauntered through the winding roads of Cindervale, under tranquil skies and through a calming breeze. She kept her eyes fixed on the moon-lit bay as she meandered, never once feeling troubled or anxious as she walked on her lonesome. There were no boisterous drunks here, after all. No whores. No stray dogs roaming the streets, or, hells, even any patrols.