A Drow's Dilemma Ep. 84: Information

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

An imperious eyebrow rose both on daughter and on father. "You do realize that I can speak common," Sornamal said in common. But it wasn't as if any great secret was revealed, it was only chatter between acquaintances. No harm done.

"My sire speaks every language I do, and more besides." Except, of course, Deusterran, which she had been gradually learning from books and from R.I.S.A.

"I did not think that you did not," Caleldir said in Common. "It is just that I know a more modern version of Common than I do Undercommon."

"Languages aside, the suspicious activity is not something to concern yourselves with at present," said Sornamal. "Those not involved cannot discover Irahc'vic's base of operations. He will have to be followed, or one of his retinue questioned. The disturbances routinely happen later, usually about three surface days hence. As for the young Matron, I am unsure of her living conditions. I have not been in the Duskhaven estate for quite some time. It would be in their best interest to keep her safe and healthy -- if not happy. Taking her away would still be a fine scheme to ruin the rebel's plans."

"Alright. After I'm done on the streets I'll swing by the Estate and see if I can spot my sis-- wait, I thought the female was my cousin, and the twins were my brothers?" Ashyr looked toward the old consort with confusion.

"That is what I was told." Selene said. "Though I admit, I have not seen any of the three in a couple years, what with my studies and the assistance I was giving Ashyr on the surface."

Caleldir, too, was confused It sounded all rather complex. How could they not know her mother? One would assume that it would be obvious who the mother was: the mother was the drow who popped the girl out. So, the fact that it was ambiguous who she was the daughter of meant that there was something fishy going on.

Then again, this was the Underdark. Something fishy was always going on. Always.

"The children were born within days of each other, and their mothers left their origins ambiguous," the old elf explained. "They hinted to the general public that the girl was not Phaerdra's, but were grooming her as a future Matron. Or were beginning to, until they... stopped."

"Wait, what? That child would be, what, fourth in line? Assuming my older sisters survived -- and even me -- there would be little chance for Dizafaerae. I mean, well, two of us have died (so not the best track record there) but there's still me! I won't die! Probably," Ashyr exclaimed.

Sornamal spread his hands. "I can only assume that their reasoning behind this was because she was my offspring, and the only girl I had been able to give Phaerdra if, indeed, she was hers. She was precious enough to them that they felt they had to take additional precautions. They may have planned on killing or delegitimizing you and your sisters when the time was right. But I'm afraid this is all useless conjecture now. What we have is a little girl that we need to take away from your brothers. If possible, the twins as well. Before they are corrupted. Though I admit to have no notion of how we would at once care for the young and take back Duskhaven."

"Thou wilst not die," Caleldir said firmly, not able to resist addressing Ashyr's casual mention of death. "Unless they shred thine soul, I can bind thy ghost and revive thee at my leisure. And they will not get thine soul: my soul-binding magic is better than anything they can possibly have. Give me and R.I.S.A. a couple of days, and between us we can make sure that nothing short of a greater god can snatch thee from us."

He drew a deep breath, and turned to Sornamal. "There is a guardian spirit in our pocket dimension. The children with be safe with her. If we rescue them, we can put them completely beyond their power to harm. It may be best to do that first; get the children out of the crossfire. I assume thou wilst want to see the pocket dimension and guardian spirit for thyself prior to such a decision, but I can promise you that, in that dimension, they will be as safe as if they had a goddess personally watching over them."

"Your pocket realm continues to grow more and more fascinating. Indeed, I would like to meet this servant and determine if she will suit our needs. Though I am sure that she will, if Selene trusts her?" His gaze turned beside him towards his daughter. "In any case, it would be the decision of Lady Ashyr. I have no authority over Duskhaven dealings, even in the case of my youngest daughter. Not anymore."

"She will do well with the children," Selene responded. "And we may still hold you to your contract and require you to train Dizafaerae when the time comes."

It was subtle, but a soft breath of relief came from the old Consort.

"None of this is something that I can help with, though," Selene said, changing the subject before things got prohibitively emotional. Someone might accidentally say that they would like to spend time with children beyond the call of duty. "Are there any parties that I would be able to attend as a disguised minor noble?" Selene asked. "I would like to see how much information I may gather."

"Indeed," Sornamal said, grateful for subject change. "Dinoryn's eldest daughter has reached her first century, and the House must celebrate. They have sent personal invitations to all the High Noble houses, and to any lesser noble skilled in the arts of arcane magic. Dinoryn does seem to enjoy keeping in arcanists' good graces. Perhaps then they will bring their offspring to Dinoryn's school. I do believe that they will admit someone of your skill, my daughter." This was said with a good deal of pride that the old man couldn't quite conceal. "The gathering is two weeks hence."

"Good. Well, I think we at least have some short-term plans to enact. And once we get those done, we'll have the information for something longer-term." Ashyr said as she pushed away her now empty bowl instead of piling more stew into it. "So I think I'll head out to the streets. Unless there are more questions. Caleldir? Tsabdrin?"

"I hast no questions at this time," Caleldir said quietly. "Good fortune, Ashyr."

"Thanks," Ashyr said with a smile. She stood and walked around the table. As she passed Caleldir, she paused to bend down, pull his face toward her, and kiss him thoroughly. The action easily fell into the sexual domination category, leaving Sornamal to merely let out an annoyed breath of air from his lungs instead of being concerned. Even Ashyr knew that it was best to ease the old consort into the idea that the new generation of Duskhaven rulers loved each other and didn't care that their family knew it.

"I'll be back in time for bed," Ashyr told Caleldir with a wink. Then she grabbed Tsabdrin by the crook of his elbow and made her way toward the servant door.

"In time for bed is a very good time." Although, he did wonder what time that was. There did not seem to be a sun down here to tell the passage of time by. Just the endless darkness.

"-Wait!" Selene said. "Come here. I've got a spell for you."

They took a moment to receive that spell, which morphed them into common-looking drow. They altered their clothes to match. Suddenly, it was as if two strangers were in the room. Except that one had a very Ashyr-like grin on her face.

Caleldir grinned a bit. "You two look like perfect strangers now. An excellent disguise for anyone who cannot smell magic."

Then they were off.

The remaining female drow carefully concealed the fond smile that threatened to ruin her drow composure. "Alright. With that established, I need to have a private conversation with my sire." Selene declared. "Shall we retire to your office?"

Sornamal nodded. "There is a library that you may peruse in the meantime, Caleldir. The door is under the right staircase in the main hall. The gardens should also be safe, as long as you don't spend most of your time at the edge of the cliff. You may be seen."

"Understood," Caleldir said seriously. "I will be happy to view the library, and quite possibly the garden a bit later. But the necessity of staying out of sight is one that I well understand." And with that, he took his leave of the father and daughter, and followed their directions to the books.