A Family Memory

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,713 Followers

After returning to our motel, Rose went home. Dad and I talked some more and I told him he ought to visit with Rose while we were here. He made some excuses and said, we'll see how it goes at the funeral.

At the funeral, my dad saw a lot of old friends he hadn't seen in years. Rose introduced us to her son and daughter. They were more my age and had kids of their own. Bob seemed like a nice guy and we talked for a few minutes. Angie smiled when she met Dad. She told me that her mother had talked to her about her childhood and how my dad was a big part of it.

I guess it was something that mothers and daughters talk about. Angie mentioned to me that this was the happiest she had seen her mother since her dad passed away five years before. She did mention that she loved her dad but that he was an alcoholic and sometimes abusive. He was intoxicated when he was killed in an auto accident. Her mom never remarried; in fact, she never even dated.

She and her mom would talk and her mother would tell her stories of her past. She did say my dad was mentioned quite a few times. I told her about my grandfather owning the gas station and grocery store and how my dad went to work for him after meeting and marrying my mother.

Angie said her mom was a bit excited when my dad said he would attend the funeral. We glanced over at Rose and my dad and they both seemed happy. After the funeral, we had a nice lunch, served at the church. I did notice Dad and Rose sitting and talking in the sanctuary, then later Dad and I went back to our motel.

The next day was Valentines Day and I asked Dad if he was going to take Rose out to dinner or something. He acted a bit bashful but said he did invite her out to dinner and she'd accepted. I told him that Angie and her husband invited me over to their house to help eat some of the leftovers from their grandfathers wake and that I had accepted. She mentioned Bob and his family would be there also.

Dad left early the next morning saying he had to prepare for his date. He seemed so nervous and excited. It was easy to tell he still cared for Rose. He came back to the motel with flowers and heart shaped box of chocolates. I laughed and told Dad that men didn't do all that anymore. A nice dinner should be enough.

Dad said that men today didn't show respect to their wife or girlfriends like they used to. He might be old fashioned but he was doing what he felt was right; I just smiled. Dad told me not to wait up for him as he left the motel dressed in the suit he wore to the funeral with flowers and candy in hand.

I went to Angie and her husband Brent's house. Bob and his family were there and I have to admit, we all had a nice time. We figured out that we were somehow distant cousins since my mom and their deceased dad were cousins. We all knew why we'd never met, because of Rose and Dad.

I had a wonderful time meeting them and they treated me like family and invited me back with my family sometime. I headed back to the motel and needless to say, Dad wasn't there yet. I had to wonder how his date was going. I called my wife, wished her a Happy Valentines Day and told her I would take her out to dinner when we got back home.

I told her about Rose and Dad and how Dad had even bought flowers and chocolates to give Rose. I laughed about it and Janet said that even though it might seem old fashioned, it was very romantic and more men should be like that. She was sticking up for Dad. I told her I loved her and would see her soon. She told me to give my dad her best.

Dad came home the next morning and said that he had a wonderful time. He did mention that Rose loved the flowers and chocolates. They ate dinner at the Olive Garden and even went to a lounge and danced a little.

"We spent a lot of time talking about the past and how I felt when she wrote and told me she was married. She told me she was young, alone and vulnerable after I'd left. She dated a couple of guys and met Charlie. She made the mistake of having unprotected sex and had gotten pregnant. Charlie said he would marry her and the rest is history.

"She had a good life but never forgot about me. She loved her kids and spent most of her life taking care of them and then her grandchildren. Charlie was an alcoholic and had been killed in an auto accident five years ago. Rose said he was a good provider and took care of the family. She mentioned she has never dated since his death, until last night when we went out for Valentines Day. I really care for her Jimmy," said Dad.

"Are you going to see her again," I asked.

"She's coming next weekend to Ohio to visit and we can talk some more. She's going to ask Angie if she will bring her."

Dad was as happy as I have ever seen him. We talked all the way back home. It was only a four-hour drive but Dad nearly talked my ear off. I've learned so much from my Dad through the years. He was a man of faith and conviction. I knew I would do well to follow in his footsteps.

I called Janet and told her to dress up, that I was going to take her out for our Valentines Day dinner. After I dropped Dad off at the store, that's where he wanted to go, I headed over to the florist and bought a bouquet of long stemmed yellow carnations. I then went to the drug store and they still had some heart shaped boxes of candy. I bought one for Janet. I was going to follow in my fathers footsteps.

I had my suit on and I rang our doorbell. I heard Janet inside say, "Just a minute!" She opened the door looking beautiful. When she saw the candy and flowers, tears welled up in her eyes. She took them, set them down on the table in the foyer and hugged me. "I love you so much," she said to me.

She put the flowers in a vase and the candy on the coffee table and we headed out for dinner. "Where are we going?" she asked.

"The Olive Garden. It worked for Dad and I was hoping it would work for me."

Janet slapped me on the arm and said she was sure it would.

Epilogue:

Life is a funny thing. You never know what really lies ahead. We make plans and have hopes but they can change in a second. When you hit a roadblock, you have to deal with it and keep going.

My grandfather was a man of integrity and lived his life as such. I have to say I honestly believe his story impossible as it may sound.

My Dad learned from his father and did his best to follow in his fathers footsteps. He'd lost his first love but never forgot about her. He lived a wonderful life with my mother and I can honestly say I never heard them go to bed mad at each other. They both taught and raised me to be the man I am today. Our house was always filled with love.

Janet and I do our best to live a good life, full of love. We may argue during the day, but at bedtime, we are always ready to make up.

Rose and Angie did come and visit. It looks like Rose and Dad will be getting back together after all these years. Both of our families are happy for them. They both deserve happiness in their life.

Dad is talking about moving to Kentucky to be with Rose. He is offering Les a share of the business to help maintain the garage. He is raising his son as a mechanic. He has always kept his promise to Dad and Granddad and couldn't be a better employee and friend.

I guess Valentines Day is all about Love. Show it to someone you really care for and don't forget the flowers and candy. It may be old fashioned, but it really works.

*

Thank you for reading my story

Comments are always appreciated

DG Hear

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,713 Followers
12