A Feel For The Ice Ch. 01

Story Info
Single mom and her son meet their hockey hero.
15.7k words
4.81
106.7k
147

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 12/29/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MugsyB
MugsyB
2,722 Followers

Greetings!

This one is for a couple different people.

One, for michchick98, who has been harassing me for months to do a Red Wings 'Ice' story. So fine. Here it is. I hope you know how much this hurt to write, my friend! And hopefully it's enough to make you back off! ;)

Second, there was a nice comment and request sent to me a while back from "Leslie." I hope you read this and I hope it meets your expectations.

I also want to take a moment to again thank my friend PennLady for her kind words and encouragement.

For the rest of you, my fun, friendly fans, (you know who you are!) thank you again and again for reading and commenting.

Happy reading!

M. ;)

***

With her head in her hands, Anna Willis wondered how in the hell she was going to get through this. She couldn't concentrate for the life of her. Her son Riley was crying from his room; night terrors. After another agonizing minute, she pushed away from the kitchen table and walked down the hall to look in on him.

He was lying on his side, sobbing with his mouth open and one fist curled up by his head. Anna's heart caught in her throat and she covered her mouth with one hand. She knew the best thing was to watch him and make sure he didn't hurt himself, but it was very difficult. Given her current state of mind, she didn't know if she'd be able to hold back. Every part of her was crying out to comfort him. If she woke him, that would only upset him further and take that much longer to settle him and get him to sleep again. She'd had far too much experience with this sort of thing in Riley's three years of life to worry too much.

It still hurt to just stand by and watch.

Even as the thought crossed her mind, his cries dimmed and his face relaxed. He made a few more muffled sounds of distress before relaxing back into a deep sleep. Anna let out the breath she didn't realize she'd been holding and crept forward into his room. Crouching down by his bed, she brushed his floppy brown hair back and pressed a soft kiss to his forehead. Tears gathered in her eyes and she bit her lip to keep from making any noise. Sucking in a deep breath, she rose and backed out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

She wandered back down the hall to the brightly lit kitchen and stared at the stack of paperwork before her. It had been a month since her parents had passed away and she didn't know what she was doing half the time these days. Between settling their affairs and trying to take care of Riley, she was completely exhausted.

Then a week ago, everything had gotten ten times worse; her husband of five years had left her. No explanations, no excuses. Just gone.

With a heavy sigh, Anna leaned over the kitchen table, moving the paperwork around. She'd been struggling with work and finding appropriate child care for what felt like ages. It had been six months since her husband demanded she get a job to pay for her frivolous expenses. She didn't consider children's clothing and food frivolous and maybe that should have been her first clue that something was going on.

Then came the accident, the loss of her parents and the staggering sadness that came with it.

With another sigh, she shoved the paperwork to the far side of the table and walked away. She flicked the light switch off, dumping the house into darkness and walked upstairs.

Sleep. Then maybe she'd find the energy to deal with her scattered life in the morning.

***

FIVE YEARS LATER

"...And here comes Zimmerman," the announcer cried. "He's winding up, there's a shot and he scores! Hayden Zimmerman scores for the Red Wings!"

"Riley, can you please turn that down?" Anna asked her eight-year old, hockey-loving son.

"But Mo-om! Zimmerman just scored and now the game's tied!" Riley protested in a whiny tone.

Anna hid her smile before looking up from the dining room table. She fixed her son with a firm look and he scowled as he lifted the remote to obey her order. Dropping her head to focus on her work, Anna smirked as she listened to her son's grumbling. Her vices included working at home, eating raw cookie dough and sleeping far too late on Sundays. Her son's were much simpler; he watched hockey.

Well, we do live in Hockey Town, Anne thought as she made a tick beside one student's error. God, I hate grading essays.

The sound of the game's announcer filtered back through her thoughts. "This brings Zimmerman up to ten goals for the season," he said and Anna looked up in time to see the cameras pan towards the Red Wings bench. They zoomed in on a bearded man with bright eyes and a perpetual smirk. Anna stifled a sigh and looked away before her usual fantasies could take over.

She loved hockey almost as much as her son; at least he came by it honestly. Since living in St. Clair Shores, just outside of Detroit, she'd come to know most of the Red Wings by name and face. They rarely made it to a game though, a fact for which Anna was truly sorry. Riley talked about going all the time but she couldn't afford decent seats. She couldn't afford a lot of things and before the guilt could eat her up tonight, she pushed away from the table, leaving the essays to be graded later.

"Who are they playing?" she asked as she settled on the couch next to her son.

Riley didn't even look at her as he answered. "St. Louis."

Anna nodded as she lifted her feet and tucked them underneath her. She tugged on the blanket covering her son until he let some of it go so she could snuggle under it. Her eyes scanned the screen and she saw the score was indeed 2-2 and it was near the end of the second period. "Oh jeez," she breathed and smiled when Riley glanced in her direction. "There's still a whole period left, sweetheart. It could go either way."

His eyes narrowed into what he must think was a fierce scowl but it made Anna smile. "They're going to win," he muttered. "I know it."

"All right," she conceded and settled in to watch the rest of the game.

She supposed she had no one else to blame but herself for getting her son hooked on the sport. Her ex-husband had hardly been a sports fan and in any case, he'd been gone long before Riley was old enough to form any obsessions. She didn't mind that Riley enjoyed it so much. It gave her an excuse to watch as well, when both of them would be better served by doing their homework.

At intermission, Anna went to the kitchen and returned with a cookie for Riley and a cup of hot tea for herself. They snuggled under the blanket and watched the rest of the game together. By the time the horn sounded, Riley was fighting to keep his eyes open. He managed a half-hearted fist pump when the Red Wings scored in the final seconds, bringing the score to 4-3.

"All right, Riley," she murmured and set her mug on the coffee table. "Time for bed, love."

"No," he protested weakly and yawned.

Laughing, Anna stood up and yanked the blanket off. He cringed at the rush of cool air and scowled at her.

"Mo-om!" he whined but she only laughed again.

"Get upstairs and brush your teeth," she ordered and reached down to lift him to his feet. "I'll be up in a minute to tuck you in."

With a heavy sigh, he did as she asked, pausing to glance at the screen as an interview was conducted with his favorite player; Hayden Zimmerman. She allowed Riley a minute before shooing him up the stairs. Then she came back and stood in front of the TV in much the same position, watching and listening as the Red Wings forward spoke with the reporter.

"...Must be proud of the team this season?" the reporter was asking.

"Yeah, of course," Hayden Zimmerman replied and wiped at his face, brushing his sweaty brown hair back from his eyes. "It's great that we're doing so well and I think the team this year is really coming together."

"You do seem to be playing well," the reporter commented. "Do you think there's a reason for the change? Is it one of the new guys on the roster who's brought a new dynamic to the team?"

Zimmerman shrugged and wiped more sweat from his face. "I don't think it's just one guy. Everyone on the team is doing their job and we're just getting it all right for now." His accent was hardly noticeable after so many years in the country but for some reason when he spoke directly following a game, the accent came through a little bit stronger.

"That's great to hear. Congratulations on your goal and two assists," the reporter said. "Thank you for taking the time to do this interview, Hayden."

"Thank you," the player replied with a smile before the reporter turned it back over to his counterparts in the studio.

Anna blinked as the screen switched to show the anchors behind the wide studio desk. Sighing, she shook her head and lifted the blanket from the couch to fold it up neatly. Her little crush on the player was ridiculous. It wasn't the reason she loved hockey but ever since Zimmerman had joined the Red Wings, it had only enhanced her enjoyment of the game. Something about his smile and the glint in his eye during interviews made Anna smile.

Ridiculous, she told herself, just as she had for years since he'd started playing with the Red Wings. In the beginning she'd laughed at herself for having a crush on a player. Then she'd almost longed to disappear into her fantasies when she felt her husband growing more distant. Now she still thought she was silly for fantasizing but fantasies were all she had. I haven't been on a date in years, she thought and stared blankly out the window. Not since before I got married. Yeesh. Shrugging it off, she smiled to herself as another thought occurred to her; at least we're the same age and I'm not fantasizing about any of the young hockey stars.

The doorbell rang, bringing her out of her silent musings. Frowning, she glanced at the clock before making her way down the hall to answer it. On her doorstep, clutching his jacket around his body to ward off the bitter chill in the air, was her neighbor Kevin Granger.

"Kevin!" she exclaimed in surprise and smiled. "Come in, it's freezing out there."

He gratefully came inside and Anna pushed the door shut behind him. "I'm sorry to barge in on you so late, Anna," he said and shivered. "I didn't wake Riley, did I?"

Anna shook her head. "No," she replied. "We just finished watching the game and he's getting ready for bed now."

Kevin grinned at her mention of the game. "Ah, right. I'd forgotten the Wings were playing tonight. Since I don't hear cranky stomping, I assume they won?"

Anna laughed and nodded. Kevin was a single father of two boys and a girl. Their mother had died when Kevin's youngest, Nick, was two. He was now Riley's age and the two of them spent almost all their free time together. Anna and Kevin also traded baby-sitting responsibilities and had a great schedule going between all the work, school, hockey practices, dance lessons and clarinet recitals. Anna had never thought she'd ever be so lucky as to find a friend like Kevin. He was kind, generous and fun to be around. Even his kids were great; well-behaved, smart and polite. More than once, Anna had found herself staring at Kevin, with his broad shoulders and thinning blond hair and wondered if she would ever find him attractive. After four years of being neighbors, they agreed it was just never going to happen. Anna was relieved most of the time; at this point in her life, friendship with Kevin was more than she could ever have asked for.

"What brings you by so late?" Anna asked.

"I just came to see if you and your offspring were free Friday night," he said.

"Yeah," Anna replied. "No plans so far."

"Great. I've got tickets to the Wings-Avalanche game and I was wondering if you and Riley wanted to go."

"Are you kidding?" Anna asked and laughed. "Of course!"

"Great!"

"How did you get tickets?"

"A guy at work couldn't go so he gave them to me."

"How many are there?"

"Four," Kevin replied and cringed. "I'll have to persuade Cassie to stay home and watch Bradley so Nick can come with us and then I'll have to explain to Bradley why he doesn't get to go this time." He was referring to his sixteen-year old daughter and his eleven-year old middle son.

Anna chuckled and smiled sympathetically. At least with one child, she didn't have to choose who to give certain gifts to. "Why don't you just take the three of them, Kevin?" she suggested. "It's very nice of you to think of us but it'd just be easier for you to take your own kids."

"Cass doesn't even like hockey and refuses to be seen with her father and brothers at this point in her life," Kevin replied and rolled his eyes. "Bradley might enjoy it but he's grounded at the moment, which is why you haven't seen him around much."

"Oh dear," Anna murmured. "What did he do this time?"

"Threw a snowball in Nick's face," Kevin replied and blew out a noisy breath. "I don't know what to do with Bradley these days."

"Well, being the middle child can be tough, Kevin," Anna said. "You should know that."

Kevin nodded ruefully as he met her gaze. He was the middle of three boys in his own family. For her part, Anna was mostly jealous of those with siblings. She'd grown up an only child and had spent years longing for a little brother or sister. When her parents had died, she'd felt the absence of a larger family even more.

"Well, if you're sure about taking us then," Anna said. "We'd love to go."

Kevin chuckled and rubbed his hands together. "Are you sure you don't want to run it by Riley first?"

Rolling her eyes, Anna shook her head. "No. And I won't tell him anything about it until after school on Friday. I don't think he needs anything to make him more excitable."

"Great. Well, we'll head down to the Arena after dinner on Friday. I think we should go a little early so the kids can watch them warm up."

"Sure," Anna agreed. "Sounds great."

"I should get going before Riley hears me," Kevin said.

"Thanks so much, Kevin," Anna said as she held the door open for him. "This is going to make Riley's month!"

Laughing, Kevin walked out the door and waved as he made his way across the yards to his own house. Anna shut the door and locked it before heading upstairs to make sure her little hockey fanatic was ready for bed. He was more than ready; he was passed out cold across his bed.

***

Ignoring the catcalls of his teammates, Hayden Zimmerman brought the puck along with him as he skated towards the net. The goalie, Carter Osbourne, waited in his customary position, pads large on his legs. He wiggled his glove hand and Hayden could picture the smirk behind the goalie's mask.

He angled his feet, cut to his right then back to his left, deftly keeping the puck in the same position in front of him. As he got even closer, and the jeers of his teammates behind him grew louder, Hayden dug his skates in, sending a shower of ice towards Carter as he darted left and shot the puck. He careened away from the net and the boards behind it as a resounding 'clang' echoed down the ice.

Looking back, Hayden grinned broadly when he saw Carter reach inside the net and toss the offending black disc away from him. An inch over and Hayden would have missed the net completely. Not this time though.

"How was that, huh?" Hayden demanded as he glided back towards his teammates.

Several of them clapped him on the shoulder or patted his helmet. He grinned at each of them and shoved his teammate and friend, Nathan Langston when he came to a stop beside him. The big defenseman shook his head.

"Was that all right, Captain?" Hayden asked, shoving him again.

"It might not work during a game," Nathan replied. "Try to aim for more net and less post next time." He sounded serious but Hayden could see the playful glint in his blue eyes.

Hayden scoffed and turned to watch as his sole remaining competitor sailed down the ice towards Carter. They were at the end of their game-day practice and it was down to Hayden and Derek Hart in the traditional shootout. Hayden was often one of the finalists in the team shootout and as Derek sent the puck soaring over Carter's head, Hayden became the victor. Laughing, he skated forward with the others to give Derek a hard time. He was a good kid though, all smiles as they all started to make their way off the ice.

"Good shot, Z," Carter said to Hayden as they fell in line.

"Thanks, man," Hayden replied. "Thanks for letting it in."

Carter mock-glared at him. "I don't ever let anything in."

Hayden laughed and followed the rest of his teammates to the locker room. They all went about their routines, changing out of their equipment and showering before heading home to nap before the game. Hayden took his time, walking out of Joe Louis Arena long after the others had gone. He was in no hurry to get back to his big house. He hadn't been in a hurry to get home for several months now since his fiance had ended things before the start of last season's playoff run.

As he climbed into his car, Hayden tried not to think of the condescending look on her face as she told him she'd found someone who didn't smother her. Hayden would never understand Ellie, not in a million years. Most women were glad when their husbands and boyfriends doted on them. Not Ellie though. Apparently his daily phone calls while on the road and his desire to cuddle on the couch on his nights off was too much for her.

"Better off without her," Hayden muttered to himself as he drove through Detroit towards his neighborhood. The words had been repeated to him by his friends and family several times since April and he figured eventually they'd start to mean something to him. For now though, he just wasn't eager to go home to his empty house.

***

Later as he laced up his skates in the locker room, Hayden wasn't thinking of Ellie at all. He was focused on the game and was thinking of ways to get around the Av's defense. Leaning back for a moment, he scratched his beard and pictured several plays that Coach had gone over with them in practice that morning. Usually he didn't let his beard grow out during the season but without Ellie around complaining that it scratched her, he let it go from time to time.

"Come on, Z," Derek said to him and tapped a stick against Hayden's shin pad. "Time to show them who's house they're in."

Grinning, Hayden nodded. He rose to his feet and pulled his jersey on over his head. The red sweater fit comfortably over his padding and he touched the big 'A' as he did before every game, for luck. Then he grabbed his stick and headed out on the ice to join warm-up.

The crowd so far in the arena was small but they cheered for the players as they circled their zone. Hayden picked up his feet and raced past a few of his teammates, laughing when Derek whizzed past him, shoving Hayden with one shoulder. The younger player was well known for his speed but then, so was Hayden. Neither of them were exceptionally large as far as hockey players went, so they'd each learned to compensate with speed and accuracy.

As the players went about their practice routine, either shooting pucks towards the open net or stretching near the boards, Hayden continued to circle. His eyes scanned the thin crowd and he grinned when he saw a sign with his name on it. He slowed as he approached that spot in the crowd. About ten rows up behind the penalty box were two boys, maybe eight or nine years old, each holding a corner of their obviously homemade sign.

"'Zimmerman is King!'" he read aloud to himself and grinned.

When he stopped in front of the glass below them, the two boys went crazy, jumping to their feet and waving maniacally. With a laugh, Hayden waved back. A movement beside the dark-haired boy on the right caught Hayden's attention and he felt his breath catch when he saw the woman.

MugsyB
MugsyB
2,722 Followers