A Fool Stumbles Into Love Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He glanced over at Maureen. He wondered if she knew. No she didn't know. Several times she'd said her mom had told her things, but that she didn't remember anything herself.

Cal started to silently tear up and weep. Many of the things that he'd pushed out of his consciousness were seeping back in. He remembered the sofa, the old gazebo, her bed. He remembered her bed; that torture chamber they called a bedroom. He heard her crying down through the years. He looked over at her again. They'd told him she'd died. She hadn't died. She'd lived, she'd grown up, and they were together again, but she didn't remember. What should he do?

Maureen looked over and saw Cal crying. Thinking he was worried about Jared she said, "Don't worry. I'm sure your grandfather will be all right."

He listened to her comforting words. That was good he thought. Let her think his tears were for Jared. He recovered his self control. She didn't know the truth yet. She'd have to find out. He hoped it wouldn't change anything. Geez, she might change her mind. What if she came to resent him? She wouldn't. She might? It was a bad time for her. Would she want someone around who was a constant reminder of those terrible days?

What if she became afraid he would want to make her remember? How might she feel? He glanced over again.

No, she's good. Cal thought, 'I have to have faith in her.' Then he got scared again, 'but what if she does, say, become afraid, afraid of me, of what I might think or say, or try to make her remember.

Cal was scared again. His insecurities were resurfacing. He reached over and took Maureen's hand, "You know I love you. I'd never hurt you."

She glanced back at him. She was afraid for him. What would his reaction be when he found out? She loved him so much, "Cal I know that. I love you so much."

+++++++++++++++

Together they drove on toward the hospital. They both knew the truth, but neither believed the other knew. Would their mutual discovery draw them closer, make their love stronger, add to the adhesive of a modern romance, or would it become a destructive thing, a force that would riven the love two toddler's had created and nurtured so many years before.

Love, understanding, passion, compassion; they are all parts of God's creation. Only God, in his infinite wisdom can know what would happen to these two wonderful young people. There would challenges ahead for Cal and Maureen; an unfinished gazebo, an injured grandparent, a country club dance, an unmentioned ailment undermining a father's health, maybe even an old boyfriend. Then what of the biological father?

Where was he? And what of Cal's as yet unmentioned sibling? He had a half sister. Would she become part of the mix? Could they threaten the future happiness of our two lovebirds?

As Cal and Maureen drove to the hospital another couple was on another road. Sandy, that always petulant jealous little piece of tinsel wasn't finished with Cal, not by a country mile. As she drove down the highway, she chattered with another girl; a new girlfriend, someone she'd just met. Her new friend was named Laurie, and Sandy knew.