A Heretic's Heart

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I can also say that finding that peace within myself, the peace that allowed me to love Paige as I felt I wanted to, had me seeking to understand how those pulls were so powerful in me. I don't think that is an obsession, and in me, not even a passion—all of any passion I had was for Paige. In that, I did harbor a love of knowledge, and a thorough dislike of ignorance that should have been overcome ages ago. To that end, I did continue to learn, and as I learned more, my peace became greater and greater, as did my love of Paige, though I'm not sure I could ever love her more than I already do, she so filled my being.

That learning was aided by some very pregnant facts that I learned, and not only from finding errors in the bible—which are plentiful, I must say in all honesty—but some things that are irrefutable scientifically as well as historically, and even evolutionarily.

Modern research has found that whales must have at one time walked on land; they even still have vestiges of a pelvis which is now not necessary to them. Things like that amazed me, but even more, the fact that we were once in our deepest past, possibly able to be as many primates are now has been in very real evidence, and that in some newborn children.

Every now and then a child has been born with what we no longer need as we did in that deep past. Our coccyx was originally a part of a tail, and is a vestige of it that is no longer used as such, but on occasion, a child is born with the three 'caudal' vertebrae that are not fused as is now usual in newborns, but visibly extended.

There are now countless such findings being made by researchers. Anyone who has lived in parts of south Florida may have easily seen what are commonly called 'walking' catfish traveling over land to the next waterway. Speaking of fish, the precursor to land animals—an intermediate between fish and land living animals—has been found on Ellesmere Island near the Arctic.

While that precursor to land animals may look similar to a fish, it has a couple of features that are not generally found in fish, the big one, a neck, and much more. I found it hard not to accept what I was learning, the evidence being so great, and becoming even greater still.

As Ms. Connor said, evolution was one tremendous idea, but not the all-in-all by a long shot, but it was certainly a great part of our modern, and verified knowledge. That all conflicted with most of the bible's unprovable words, which I already had found to be contradicted by history too.

There was no doubt in my mind that many of those who were said to have begun the march towards Christianity really believed, and in that world, they desperately needed whatever hope they could cling to. In modern times, that many still needed something to cling to, was still true, but illiteracy should have disappeared, though why it didn't, I didn't know.

In our day and age, what we needed was more knowledge, and an awareness of what our world was like, and how we could make it better, not just more profitable monetarily for some. Clinging to a belief that was false, and could only promote those things that were born of old lies that were no longer needed only held us back from working to find more sensible, logical things. Unfortunately, greed got in the way too, and with religion, they still held sway.

Religious lies of all kinds were no panacea for all of our misery and prejudices. Only knowledge and the compassionate use of it would help. I didn't see that happening any time soon, if ever. All Paige and I could do was to love each other as we already did, and keep on learning. Perhaps someday we, or probably Paige, would find something that would be of help to put us on the road to being better at being the humans that we could be.

Until then, we'd do what we could to help others see that we were no threat to their own personal marriages. Since there was no way I would, or could, ever marry a man and bear a child from him, marrying Paige, who felt as I did, could in no wise threaten any who wished for family with children of their own blood.

To that end, after we were both over twenty-one, Paige and I were married, my family in attendance, and Ms. Connor too, along with Betty and her partner, Jo. Yes, both survived and their attackers were found—a jealous would be boy friend of Jo's—and they were in jail for many years to come.

After the ceremony, my mother hugged Paige and told her, "Now I have three daughters to enrich my days. Welcome, dear, and live a long and loving life."

Of course, they wept, but it was a good cry, a sweet cry.

Our college time continued, especially for Paige who earned her Masters degree, and then her doctorate. Me? I stopped at a Masters in Social Evolution.

Ms. Connor stayed our friend even after we left college Not long afterward, Betty and her partner, Jo, stopped by. We had a good visit, such that we all eventually became good friends and saw each other from time to time.

In the meantime, the love Paige and I shared continued to grow, surprising to Ms. Connor who said all love waned in time. Our didn't. I'd still look at Paige and my eyes would glaze over. Paige's eyes would often have that fiery look as if they were burning a bright and hot blue flame with her special brand of blue. Is there such a thing as fiery blue ice? If not, it's only in how I see Paige's eyes.

~End~

This story is copyright protected by the author, wistfall1. Use of this story in whole or in part is expressly prohibited without the written consent of the author, wistfall1.

Author's note: There are many wonderful books on genetics and evolution. A wide ranging one that is fabulous is "Human" (the science behind what makes us unique, by Dr. Michael S. Gazzaniga, Harper Collins, 2008); "Connectome" (how the brain's wiring makes us who we are, by Sebastian Seung, Professor of Computational Neuroscience at MIT, etc., Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012); "Your Inner Fish" (A journey into the 3.5 billion-year history of the human body and the discovery of "Tiktaalik", by Neil Shubin, Professor of anatomy at the University of Chicago, Pantheon Books, 2008); "Not A Chimp" (The hunt to find the genes that make us human, by Jeremy Taylor, a science documentary film producer and science writer extraordinaire, Oxford University Press, 2009); and "Why Evolution Is True" (by Professor Jerry A. Coyne, University of Chicago, Dept of Ecology and Evolution, Viking, 2009); and many more too numerous to itemize.

In Chapter 13, Mrs. Rogers quotes Jesus as saying Moses only permitted divorce because of the hardness of their hearts ["...but from the beginning it was not so."] This is found in the gospel according to Matthew, chapter 19, verse 8; the gospel according to Mark, chapter 10, verse 5-8 defines it further.

1...456789
Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
11 Comments
pope32767pope32767about 1 year ago

Heretic Heart by Catherine Madsen

I am a bold and a pagan soul a-ramblin' through this land.

I judge the world by my own lights and I come by my own hand.

And if you ask me where I learned to live so recklessly,

My skin, my bones, my heretic heart, are my authority.

My mother was a spinner of tales, my father a dreaming man,

and I have swung from the dragon's tongue and danced on holy land

I have sung the seed up out of the ground and the bird down from the tree.

My skin, my bones, my heretic heart, are my authority.

Once I was found but now I'm gone away from the "faithful fold"

Of those who preach that holiness is to do what you are told.

Though law and scripture, priest and prayer, have all instructed me,

My skin, my bones, my heretic heart, are my authority.

Now they tell me Jesus loves me, but I think he loves in vain.

He must go unrequited, on me he has no claim.

For the man who would command me must wear the horn and let me be.

My skin, my bones, my heretic heart, are my authority.

And while I breathe this glorious air, an outlaw I'll remain.

My body will not be subdued, and I will not be "saved".

And if I cannot shout it loud, I'll sing it secretly.

My skin, my bones, my heretic heart -- are my authority.

Nerdyqueen94Nerdyqueen94over 2 years ago

It truly haunts me how tightly people grip onto things in the bible for their own hatred or cause. We have progressed so far from the archaic times in which it was conceived. There is so much pain and fear held within those pages that others simply refuse to see. Murder, incest, rape, and many more crimes and injustices. I feel faith is good and healthy but blind faith without thought or compassion is dangerous. Thanks for a wonderful tale of love and over coming obstacles.

foxyfowlerfoxyfowlerover 3 years ago
WOWWWWW

I really loved reading this story is fantastic and a very loving couple who melted everyone's heart because off there love for each other and the marriage was done with love and happiness and Jenn's parents where very loving about Jen and Paige and then saying I have three daughters hope there will be more Wistfall1. xxx

stroudlestroudleover 5 years ago
Brilliant

What a wonderful, thought provoking, engaging, sexy and hot story.

Sadly it also has a lot relevance and realism in it too, as hate crime and intolerance is all around. sometimes hiding behind the viel of religion and some times it shows it self for it really is, Disgusting violence. ( it not sad because its In the story but because its still in every day life)

I really enjoyed this and felt drawn into the world of Paige and Jennifer.

Thank you for having the parents accept and even love Paige. The scene at the end in the church when Jennifer and her mother faced down Mrs Jenkins had me do a little celebratory fist pump.

I am going to look for more of your work now to read

Thank you

alexwatson62alexwatson62over 5 years ago
OUTSTANDING ...........

I genuinely didn't think that I would find such a well written and thought out piece of work on this site.

The saddest thing of all I that this story is perfectly believable.

Plenty of quality eroticism, a good storyline and plenty of educational matter.

Sadly though, there will be many who because of their strong religious views will hate it and score it downwards.

However, IF their views are so strongly held, why are they on a site and more especially on such a subject?? Ah religion versus sex rofl, a battle as old as religion itself.

All religions have an agenda, and it is simply to control everyone through something that not only cannot be proven, but as more people have learned to read, write and think and learn, has time and time again been DISproven.

Religions other agenda is money. There are so many people in poverty yet the Catholic church spend millions on "art experts" and people to manage their shares and buy up tracts of land worldwide.

In the West especially (with the notable exception of the US "bible belt"), religion seems to be playing less and less of a major part of our lives.

So is it really a coincidence that religion really only has a hold in the poorest places on earth? South America, Middle East and Africa being the most prolific.

Is it a coincidence that in these regions the main battle seems to be Catholics against Islamists and vice versa?

All religions tell us to love each other, yet have caused more wars than anything else on the planet.

Christianity in the main is at least TRYING to move with the times, sadly not the murderous Islamists though, who are still in the 21st Century slaughtering "heretics".

Sadly mankind will destroy itself by two of the three subjects in this story; Religion or Genetics.

"Designer babies" and other such "advances" will eventually upset our gene pool so much it will destroy our species, that's if there is anything left after our fast approaching religious war.

Probably the worst kept secret on our planet is that a war capable of destroying mankind (and woman kind) has already started.

If the Islamists win, there will be very little REAL science allowed, strange given that the early Moslems were educated people.

If the other "religions" win, then science will eventually be our downfall.

People, love each other and fall in love with whoever will return that love regardless of gender .............. we may be the last generation who is able.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

A Proper Send-off A gay soldier and straight civilian celebrate Veterans Day.in Lesbian Sex
Lovers Without Realizing It Love takes a woman and her boss by surprise.in Lesbian Sex
The Case of the Sneaky Valentine Mysterious Valentine's cards change single mum Sarah's life.in Lesbian Sex
Hidden Beauty Kaden and Jess find love beyond what the eye can see.in Lesbian Sex
Like A Secret Being Told The consequences of NOT following the best policy.in Lesbian Sex
More Stories