A Japanese New Year

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Breaking through the clouds I felt a sudden pang of heat on my lower forehead between the brows of my eyes. Flashes of purple spun us round and round. Natsuko's forehead now had a round mark in the same place were I now felt heat. I saw visions of creation; the Earth forming, the sea receding, volcanoes erupting into the islands we called home, grass and trees springing forth. Ajna, the third eye of will and spiritual insight had opened—our sixth chakra.

We traveled higher than the clouds, as our sight changed from purple to gold. The energy was now above us, pulling us up. Brightness appearing just over our heads and I saw Natsuko; engulfed by a thousand-pedaled lotus, effulgent with light. The seventh chakra had opened—Sahasrara of the crown. We had joined with Kami and entered Nirvana.

As we rose higher than our breath would allow, we embraced in a kiss. With clouds thundering below us, we transcended this reality; breathing no more we entered Parinirvana. Neither Natsuko nor I were ever seen by human eyes again.

Word of our ascent had spread from the temple through the villages. Soon the shogun was informed, and very pleased. He commissioned a shrine built on the site of our meeting, the holy site that marked a convergence of piety and determination. The shrine is dedicated to the Kami Haya-tsu-mujo—God of the Winds—and his bride Natsuko—Child of Summer.

***

It is a beautiful shrine; built with a large torii gate at the entrance heralded by two guardian lions, or komainu. Filled to capacity on New Year's Eve, each visitor washes their hands in the purification fountains before proceeding to the honden, or offering hall. There, they sit before the stage and watch the bugaku dance performed by Shinto priestesses wearing traditional kimonos. It is a dance performed in many shrines symbolizing the creation of the Japanese islands and said to have first been performed by Aminouzume, the fertility goddess who needed to entice Kami Amaterasu out of the cave.

As the bell sounds from the bottom of the hill, in the temple below the shrine, each visitor chants with the sound 108 times, abandoning to the old year each of the 108 worldly desires. At midnight the push is on for the front of the shrine, there images representing our ascent are on display. I hear the prayers to us mostly asking for good luck in the New Year. Some are more specific, asking for good health, success in business, passing entrance exams, love, or wealth. Many New Year's wishes are written down on wooden plates called ema and left on the shine for me to receive.

Natsuko and I never had children of our own, but we love to play with the children in the village as best we can. Although they cannot see us directly, they can see our deeds. This is why the young boys enjoy kite-flying and little girls play with tops on the New Years holiday. I like to stir up the wind and push the air in such a fashion to lift the kites, many of which are hand-made and feature painted images of the samurai warriors who stood to fight the Khan on the beaches of Matsue. The spinning of the tops symbolize Natsuko and I as we spun through the clouds and made our ascent to the heavens.

I will forever be grateful to her for joining me on the hill that afternoon. All my life I had learned to subdue my passions. Although this certainly provided proper training and purification, allowing me to reach higher states of consciousness and eventual enlightenment, she taught me the value of passion. Passion that, if properly harnessed and channeled, can create a wondrous and powerful energy. Energy that lies dormant in all of us. A strength that helps us rise from our mundane human existence, end the cycle of birth and rebirth, and enjoy a blissful union with Kami.

But don't let each other finish! Release will end the elevation within. Had we climaxed we may have fallen from the sky. Besides, now we remain as we were during the ascent. She stays on top of me and I inside her for all eternity. Can one think of a better way to exhaust time without end?

12