A Job in the Theatre Ch. 01

Story Info
The Beginning.
2k words
4.23
207k
142

Part 1 of the 21 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 05/28/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BothWorld
BothWorld
1,691 Followers

Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Just one more drink and then it would be time to go. Things were pretty dead in the pub anyway. Good thing, Paul thought, as he had an audition in the morning that he really needed to win.

He watched the two women at the bar, both pretty decent looking; receive drink after drink by doing nothing more than just sitting there. Every guy in the place had tried his hand at them including him.

He had been dismissed pretty quickly. Although he was not bad looking, he stood at five four with a slender build and soft face, which did not lend itself to picking up women in a bar.

His height had always been a problem when it came to women. Nor did it help landing leading men roles as an actor. The parts he got were the supporting roles, you know, the shopkeeper, the next door neighbor, that kind of thing.

He loved acting. It gave him the opportunity to be someone else if only for a short time. He was glad he could make money doing something he loved although at times money was scarce. He was in one of those times now, which is why the audition in the morning was so important.

He watched the two as they sat giggling and chatting with each other. The guys swarmed around their table like bees to a hive each bringing fresh drinks. Neither woman had reached for her purse all evening. They flirted while sipping their new drink and then dismiss the pour chump before he started getting ideas. He bet they went out every night and it never cost them a thing.

Paul didn't blame them. The guys just wanted to get in their panties and they knew it. If he were a good looking woman, he would have them wrapped around his little finger too. With a little bit of cleavage, he would have them falling all over themselves getting him whatever he wanted. After all, that was how the game was played, right?

They had to be close to drunk by now and Paul was thinking about making a second pass. He glanced at his watch and noticed it was getting late. He didn't have a chance with them anyway. He finished his drink and headed home.

He learned of the audition from running into a friend earlier in the week. They shared a beer and Paul mentioned that he really needed a job. His rent was two months behind and he was running out of excuses.

His friend mentioned a director that he had worked with a year earlier who was starting a new production and looking for actors. He wasn't sure what the play was about, but told Paul he could use his name as a reference. He went on saying it would pay well, but the group was a little strange.

Paul had not heard a word after 'it would pay well'. That is what Paul needed to hear. He needed to get his rent up to date or he would be sleeping in his truck. It would be nice to actually get ahead for once, but he didn't allow himself those thoughts. When he tuned back in, his friend was just finishing up something about the director, but Paul missed it. He thanked his friend for the tip and left.

The audition

He got up nice and early the next morning and got ready for the audition. He tried not to think about how badly he needed a part because it would just get in the way. So with practiced calm, he pushed that thought from his mind and preceded to the theater.

Of course he was not the only one waiting to audition. He checked out the crowd and saw a lady that seemed to be in charge and figured that was Sarah Townsend. She was a nicely dressed woman possibly ten years his senior. He made his way over to her and dropped his friends name while mentioning he was there to audition.

"So, you know Randy. He did some work for me last year" she said. She scanned his face looking for a hint of something. Apparently she did not find it and Paul thought it might be over before it started. "He recommended you for the audition?" she asked curiously.

"Yes. He said to look you up." The top two buttons of her blouse were undone begging his eyes to dip down and take a peek. He summoned his self-control and got back on target, "He said you were a special lady and that he loved working with you" he said trying to appeal to her ego, "and said I would too." Of course Randy said no such thing, but she didn't need to know that.

She smiled and asked what other work he had done lately. She checked him out head to toe as he rattled off the last few things he had done, none of which were of any merit. But she didn't seem concerned at all about what he had been doing. Something else had interested her although he didn't have the slightest clue what. Once again he thanked his friend silently for the tip.

"I think you could make a great Betty. Do you know the part?"

Betty? She wanted him to play a female? Ouch! It was a blow to his ego that caught him completely off guard.

"No. Sorry."

"Betty is our modern day Lolita. She seduces the lead away from his girlfriend and runs away with him at the end of the show. It's a great part. It will allow you to show your range as an actor. You will be the talk of the town. Are you interested?"

A starring role? Show your range? Talk of the town? His mind went into hyper drive. Could this be it? "Yes, of course" he said quickly.

"So, you don't have a problem playing a female?"

"No, course not" he lied through his teeth. He had not really thought about it, but it didn't sound very appealing. Obviously he would prefer a male role, but today he was not picky. He needed the job.

"Good. Bob, hand Paul a copy of the script. Can you be ready in ten minutes? We will start with page twenty four and read a few pages."

"Great. Yes, I'll be ready."

He studied the lines as quickly as he could and tried to understand what was happening with his character. The scene took place at the end of a date between him and his new boyfriend. The boyfriend was telling him how much he enjoyed the date and how he would like to see her again. Paul freaked out when he saw the end of the scene. He was supposed to kiss the guy goodnight!

Man, surely he wouldn't have to kiss this guy for the audition? But then he realized that yeah he probably would. That was probably the reason she had picked this scene. She wanted to see if he could pull it off.

He had never kissed a guy before. The thought repulsed him. But he reminded himself it wasn't him kissing the guy it was his character. And he needed to do a good job of it or he might not get the job. He decided the best thing to do was just put it out of his mind. When the time came, he would give that guy the best kiss he could manage and that was that. After all, he was a professional.

Sarah called them up and they started the scene. Things were going pretty good right up to the end. There were only two lines left and then the kiss. Although he had been too busy to think about it, now he couldn't think of anything else. He could feel his hands starting to sweat. As he was thinking of how he would actually do it, the lead took him in his arms, pulled him close and kissed him on the lips! Caught off guard, Paul just lay back and let him. It turned out to be the best thing he could have done. Boys kiss girls, not the other way around. This time, he was the girl!

No one was more surprised than Paul when Sarah gave him the role. It never crossed his mind that he would be kissing that guy goodnight, every night, until the play ended.

He went back to his third floor efficiency that evening thinking that his problems were getting ready to be history. He stripped down to his boxers, plopped down in front of the TV and popped a beer. Who knows, he thought, if the money was right maybe he could move out of the dump he was in and into an apartment that actually had a bedroom. But first he would get his rent up to date.

The Problem

That first week was a busy one. Paul prayed every morning that his truck would start so he wouldn't be late to rehearsal. He went to the theater early and stayed late in the evening before going back to his apartment to study his lines. He wanted her to know that he was giving it his all. It seemed to him that Sarah had taken a liking to him and taken him under her wing.

By Wednesday it was pretty obvious that he had hit a road block. Sarah spared him the public humiliation of calling him down in front of the cast, but asked him to her office that afternoon.

"What's the problem?" she asked. "Are you going to be able to do this?"

Paul felt his heart sink with fear. Although he was getting along famously with Sarah, he was not connecting to his role as a woman. He found playing a woman much harder than he suspected. And the fact was he was not used to being a lead either. He was in almost every scene.

"I'm just not getting it. Oh, I understand the role. What I mean to say is that I don't really know how to do it. My movement is wrong and my mannerisms are off base. I feel lost."

Sarah looked concerned. "Your role is the pivotal role. If you can't pull this off, you need to tell me now."

"I think I can pull it off...I just need some help" he said hoping for mercy.

Sarah thought for a moment and searched Paul's eyes. "If you are really serious about the part...I think I can help you get your arms around being a woman. It will take a true commitment from you though. I don't have time if you are not serious."

"I'm serious, really. What do you have in mind?" Paul asked.

"Well, I think what you need to do is immerse yourself in the role. And the best way to do that is to live as a woman from now until the play opens. You can move in with me so I can help you practice. I will show you everything you need to know. But you have to be serious. I don't want to waste my time. I have the production to think about, the other actors too."

"You want me to live as a woman until the play opens?" he said a little freaked out.

"Yes. Morning, noon and night. Woman. All the time. I think it is the only way."

It sounded pretty drastic to him. But she said she would help and he certainly needed it. The truth was he felt pretty stupid working the stage in a dress. And this was supposed to be his big break? How humiliating was that? And kissing a guy several times a day was really getting on his nerves. But he could not blow this opportunity.

"You are right, of course. I'll do it."

"Be at my house Saturday, early. We have a lot of work to do. Bring the right attitude."

To be continued...


Hope you enjoyed the story. Please remember to vote. Your comments are welcomed.

BothWorld
BothWorld
1,691 Followers