A Kiss Between Murders

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Keep your pants on, sugar." The door opened and a woman with too much lipstick and a cigarette dangling as low as her breasts stood in the doorway. "Hey honey. Why don't cha come in?" Her robe was undone and she lingered for a moment and then turned away and left me standing in the doorway.

I stepped in to a practically bare apartment. There was a small kitchen area with a table and two chairs, one of which was missing a leg, and a refrigerator. On the table was a hot plate and a frying pan with some bacon doing the breaststroke in a sea of grease. A beaded curtain separated the bedroom from the kitchen. There was a smell like wet dog in the place, and I couldn't tell if it was her or the apartment itself. Evelyn was not what you would call high class. She parted the beaded curtain and sat on the bed.

"Aw, honey. Don't be shy. If you wanna have some fun you gotta come a little closer than that." She laughed and picked up a glass form the nightstand.

"My mother always told me to stay away from girls like you." I came into the bedroom and sat on a chair by the window. I took off my hat and ran my hand through my hair then remembered the grease from Smiley downstairs.

"You always listen to your mama?" She stood up and took my hat and dropped it on the nightstand. "Why don't make yourself comfortable and loosen your tie?"

She fidgeted with my tie and I grabbed her hands and stood up. "Have a seat, Evelyn."

"Sure, baby." She sat on the bed and opened her robe wide. "You ever seen anything like this before?"

"In a nightmare I once had." She jumped up to slap me but I pushed her back down on the bed. The springs creaked in protest as though they were on their last legs.

"You son of a bitch." She started to get up again.

"I'm sure you're used to getting knocked around Evelyn but you better stay on that bed or we're gonna see how many rounds you can go."

She settled back and yanked the ties on her robe into a knot. "What the hell do you want?"

"I'm looking for a friend of yours. Tommy Hooks." It was gone in a second but I saw the look of fear on her face.

"I don't know who you're talking about." She turned to her bottle and poured another drink.

I took the glass from her and set it back on the nightstand. "Tommy Hooks," I said again.

"And I told you I don't know him." She snarled like an angry house cat that had to catch its own mice for dinner.

"Evelyn, either you start talking or I have a little talk with a certain police lieutenant about your poor career choices. We'll see how sweet Tommy is after he hears you've been talking to the cops."

"You dirty bastard." She grabbed the drink and I let her drink it this time. "Tommy comes on Friday nights after midnight. He's got a poker game on 47th street behind the Italian joint. He usually wins big, likes to treat me."

"He's a real gentleman." I took my hat and headed to the front door when Evelyn ran in front of me and put her hands on my collar.

"What's your hurry? Maybe you could treat me, too?" She moved in for a kiss but I pushed her away. God, everything in this hotel made my skin crawl.

"I could treat you to a penicillin shot but I don't like to waste my money on a lost cause." I smiled and opened the door.

"You scum." She yelled. "Who the hell are you?"

"Just another dirty bastard." I walked down the three flights of stairs hoping the air outside might help get rid of the cheap perfume that clung to my clothes. When I hit the sidewalk I heard Evelyn behind me. I turned just in time to duck the bacon that came flying as Evelyn swung the frying pan at my head.

"You son of a bitch." She took another swing but I grabbed her arm and twisted until she dropped the pan. I gave her a shove and she landed on her ass with all her goodies out in the open. A couple stopped short of us and stared at our little dance, especially the guy who seemed to be enjoying what he saw.

"What the hell are you looking at?" Evelyn roared at them. She stood up without closing her robe and put her hands on her hips.

"Evelyn. You better eat your breakfast before it gets cold." I pointed to the bacon lying cold on the sidewalk. A taxi pulled up before I could hail it. At least Evelyn was good for something. I got in as Evelyn took off her robe and threw at the cab. Crazy bitch .

"Hey, buddy." I tapped the driver on the shoulder. "You can always come back for the full show but right now how's about driving?" The cab driver stammered an apology and pulled away.

______________________________________________________________________________

Outside my office I could hear voices. Probably another unhappy housewife with three kids hanging from her curlers while she tries to get the goods on her husband. Oh well. Bills needed to be paid.

It was Friday and I figured I would pay a visit to Tommy tonight after sacking out in my office. I entered the office and Vera stood up from behind her desk. "Mike, this is Mona Morgan."

Mona Morgan's dress hugged her body like it was thanking her for wearing it, and it was obvious why. She had the kind of body that reminded me why they made signs that read, "dangerous curves ahead." She removed her over-sized hat and brushed back the brown curls that fell across her face. She met me halfway across the floor, and in that short distance I could see the graceful balance of an athlete or a panther.

We shook hands and her fingers lingered just a moment longer than they needed ,like she was dipping her toe in the water to see how cold it was. "Won't you come into my office, Miss Morgan?"

Vera rolled her eyes as we entered my office. I winked at her then shut the door. I offered Miss Morgan a chair. "I'll take this one," she said, taking the chair closest to the window. The light poured in like a spotlight but she seemed pretty comfortable there. I sat in my chair and offered her a cigarette.

"I prefer my own." She placed one between her lips with a well-practiced movement and waited for me to light it. I waited like I didn't understand until she said, "Light me, Mr. McCabe?"

I reached over with my lighter but made sure she would have to meet me halfway. Her eyes never left mine as smoke blew out of those perfect ruby lips. She sat back very straight, giving me a full view of her ample cleavage.

"I understand you were with Jimmy when he was killed." She crossed her legs slowly like I was supposed to notice.

"I didn't know Jimmy had a wife." She didn't have a wedding ring on but I was just winding her up.

"He didn't. I'm his sister. Do you have an ashtray?"

"And how did you know that I was with him?" I slid the ashtray to her.

"The police told me. A Detective Dobbs."

"I see. What can I do for you?"

"It should be obvious Mr. McCabe. You're a private detective and there's been a murder. Your swiftness doesn't inspire confidence."

I ignored her comments and pressed on. "When was the last time you saw your brother?"

"About three years ago."

"Sounds like the two of you were close."

"We had a falling out."

"Over what?"

"That's not your business, Mr. McCabe."

"How did you know Jimmy had died?"

"I had a call from the landlord of his apartment. Jimmy had given my name and number in case of an emergency. When I heard, I came to L.A. right away."

"From where?"

"Santa Cruz."

"Why would Jimmy leave you as a contact after three years?"

"He was a lush, Mr. McCabe. When he drank he could be overly sentimental. He was sentimental a lot."

"Are you the sentimental type, Miss Morgan?"

"When it's necessary." She uncrossed her legs and looked out the window.

"And when is that?"

"You'll know it when you find me charming." She turned back and gave me a wry smile.

"With my swiftness I may miss that." My sarcasm didn't faze her at all. "My fee is forty dollars a day plus expenses and a retainer of twenty dollars."

"Very well." She didn't bat an eye.

I pressed the button on the intercom and Vera's voice crackled through the speaker.

"Yes, Mike."

"Vera. Draw up the usual contract for Miss Morgan."

"Sure thing."

"Alright Miss Morgan. You can go over the details with my secretary and I'll be in touch when I know something."

I offered my hand and her grip was hard and tight through her gloves. "Goodbye, Miss Morgan."

"It's been a pleasure, Mr. McCabe." She placed her other hand on top of mine and smiled. "I'm being charming."

She walked herself out and closed the door. Back at my desk I checked the clock. I still had plenty of time to grab some supper before catching some shut eye. Vera came in a few minutes later.

"Quite a looker." Vera sat on the corner of my desk and folded her legs.

"I didn't notice." I put my hands on Vera's shoulders and shoved her out the door. "Call A.J.'s and have 'em send up a couple of sandwiches. I'll be needing to get some shut eye so be a good secretary and hold my calls. Lock up when you leave." I shut the door and went back to my cool breeze.

Another late night chasing after bad guys. These guys were like roaches. They only came out when the lights went off. After I ate I stretched out on the sofa and laid my hat over my face. It wasn't long before I fell asleep. When I woke up it was after midnight and the office was pitch black.

I got up and clicked on the desk lamp. The neon sign across the alley flickered on and off sending shades of red into my office. My corner office had a great view of the next building and if I strained my neck I could probably see the street. The Troubadour was a cheap hotel for those who didn't have time to spend more than an hour or two before checking out. I had caught many a cheating husband there without having to run all over town.

I grabbed my jacket and was about to put out the light when I noticed a light had come on in the room across from my window. There was about thirty feet between us which was close enough to see the shade was pulled down perfectly framing the silhouette of a dame.

The shade came up then and I saw a woman standing at the open window. She was partially in the shadows, just standing there with her hands on her hips as if she were waiting for something. I stepped closer to my window, wondering if I would scare her off. I didn't.

Her hands came up slowly to her neck and came back down again over her breasts and down to her crotch. She turned her back toward me and I thought she was going to leave, but she was giving me a taste of things to come. Her head was turned to the side and her hair tumbled over her bare skin as her blouse slid down her back and dropped to the floor.

She came in and out of the darkness as the hotel sign flashed on and off. It was like watching a photograph that changed every few seconds. I needed to get going but my hard-on reminded me that there was always time to be neighborly.

Her hands hugged her shoulders then drew down to her skirt, unzipping it with two fingers. It fell down revealing a pair of panties that made silent promises in the dark. She was turning up the heat and I wasn't about to stop her. There was a cool breeze blowing through the window but I was sweating.

I wiped my mouth and loosened my tie. A moment ago all I could think of was going up against a crazed killer and now all I could think of was going window shopping. I grabbed a chair and placed it at the window. I sat down and the sign went off. When it came back on again she was gone and the shade was down . I groaned with frustration. I was still hard but I wasn't going to get any relief here. I stood up slowly and grabbed my hat. It was just as well. There was a roach out there waiting for me.

The Italian restaurant was owned by Vincent Manello, a mob boss and self-professed connoisseur of Italian cuisine. I'd never eaten there myself, a bit too rich for my blood, but it was a popular place and was always packed.

The games were held in a back room by the kitchen, and getting a seat at the table was by invitation only. It was a little after one a.m. when I arrived. There was still time so I went to the bar and had a drink while waiting for the game to break up.

I was only two drinks in when a string of enforcers came strolling out of the kitchen with Tommy in front. He must have hit it big because he was slapping the backs of his buddies, laughing at their sour pusses. They didn't seem to take it too well, but a guy Tommy's size encouraged diplomacy.

Tommy was holding a fat wad of bills in his chunky fingers, waving it around like a flag on Independence Day. When he left the restaurant I followed him hoping he was on his way to Evelyn's.

He must have had a few drinks in him the way he was sliding across the sidewalk. A stupid man would think he was easy mark but I knew from experience that looks can be deceiving. Drunk or not, Tommy was a goon I needed to be careful around.

At the Sunset Tommy stumbled through the front door. I looked through the window and watched as he passed the front desk without a word. The elevator door closed and he was on his way.

There was a commotion in the lobby. Two sailors were fighting over the belle of the ball who looked like she was going to pass out any minute. There was a different guy behind the desk, and he bolted from his position with a baseball bat in hand.

While the four of them worked out their disagreement, I snuck by them and hit the stairs. Three floors up I came to 309 and listened with my ear against the door. From the moaning I thought maybe they were already going at it, but it was not the kind of moaning you'd expect in a place like this. It was Tommy and he sounded like a wounded elephant.

I tried the door. It wasn't locked. Once inside I could see through the bedroom beads that Tommy was sitting on the bed. Evelyn was stretched out on the bed and he was muttering something I couldn't hear. I moved in closer and the floor creaked beneath me. Tommy turned. Tears streaked his face. He wiped his eyes and stood up.

Christ, he was huge. If we had been outside he would have blocked out the moon. I looked from him to Evelyn and understood why he was crying. She must have seen the same interior decorator as Jimmy. Her brains were blown out and decorated the pillows and the wall.

"Who are you?" Tommy struggled between sobs.

"I just wanted to ask you a few questions." I said.

Tommy advanced a few steps and visions of dripping meat hooks filled my head. I had no desire to add to this gorilla's list of victims.

"You killed my Evelyn." His eyes were crazy, the way a person on fire would be.

"Look. She's not dead." It was a stupid ploy but I hoped he wasn't thinking straight. I had to act fast and when Tommy turned back to the bed and reached down to touch her face I freed my gun and whacked him on the back of the head as hard as I could. Most guys would've gone down but Tommy barely moved. He turned, his face full of rage, and I popped him another one across the jaw. He fell back on Evelyn's body and I gave him one more to make sure he stayed down. Three times was the charm. He rolled off the bed and landed face down on the floor.

I fished my handcuffs out and cuffed Tommy to the radiator then checked Evelyn's body. The same neat hole in the forehead. I guess someone thought she knew something. Or they were following me and thought she was a loose end that needed to be tied up as soon as possible. Two people dead and I was no closer to finding out what it was all about.

Tommy groaned and started to stir.

I moved out of his reach and sat down in my favorite chair and waited for him come to. When he saw me he tried to lunge but fell short. Then he tried to break his cuffs, and I thought of a wild animal gnawing off a limb to escape. Fortunately, Tommy wasn't willing to go that far.

"I'll kill you, you son of a bitch." If looks could kill he would've killed me already.

"Slow down big guy. You got the wrong idea. I didn't kill her." I pulled out a cigarette and offered him one.

He remained motionless, his eyes boring into me.

"Uncuff me, or I'll tear you apart."

I believed he would do it if he had the chance, but I wasn't about to give him that chance. "Your old partner Jimmy Morgan got himself shot just like your Evelyn."

"Jimmy's dead?" A look of worry changed his scowl, and I couldn't help but wonder what a guy like Tommy would be worried about.

"When was the last time you saw Jimmy?" I asked him.

"I ain't seen Jimmy in a couple years."

"Any idea why someone would've wanted him or Evelyn dead?"

Tommy turned toward the bed and the waterworks came on again. "Evelyn."

"Was Jimmy one of Evelyn's customers?"

"You don't know what you're talking about. Jimmy had a girl. He wouldn't go messing with mine."

I almost felt sorry for the bastard.

"Who was Jimmy's girl?"

"I don't know. He didn't talk about her. Only said that they'd soon be able to leave L.A."

"I thought you said you haven't seen him in a couple of years."

A dark cloud came over his face and I could feel lightning was about to strike. Tommy got on his knees and gripped both sides of that radiator with his meaty paws and started to pull. Damn, if that thing didn't start to rise up with him. It was like watching a Superman cartoon. The radiator ripped free from the floor and Tommy turned toward me. The only way he was gonna stop would be if I put a bullet or two in him, and I needed to know what he knew so I picked up my chair and threw it at him and then got the hell out of there. I ran down the hall with Tommy banging that radiator alongside him as he chased me down three flights of stairs.

"Hey." The front desk guy yelled as I ran out the front door. Behind me I could hear breaking glass. Tommy had smashed into the front door. That radiator was like a bell hanging around a cat's neck, only I wasn't planning on being the mouse dinner. I ducked around a corner and then disappeared down an alley, where I hopped a fence. Fumbling my way into the street, I almost got run over by a taxi. The driver yelled at me, but I didn't care. I jumped into the back seat.

"Step on it."

"Like hell I will. What the hell's the big idea running out in the street like that? You trying to get yourself killed?" His was practically foaming at the mouth until he heard the sound of Tommy falling over that fence.

"Step on it buddy or we're both dead." I advised.

"Right." He floored it and the car sped away, leaving a raging bull screaming like a maniac behind us. I lit a cigarette and offered one to the driver who took it.

"What was that all about?" His voice shook.

"You don't want to know. Take me to Fullerton."

"What's the address?"

"Just drop me at Fullerton and Cyrus."

"Sure, pal."

We didn't' talk the rest of the way and when we arrived I stepped out and handed him a couple of extra bills. I figured he deserved a little something extra for saving my life.

"Next time do me a favor, pal. Walk." He hit the gas and I started the walk home. It started to rain. I pulled up my collar. Six blocks later I was in my apartment. I kicked off my shoes, poured myself a drink, and thought about my next move while I changed clothes.

Jimmy was scared the night he died. He knew someone was after him and he needed my help. It was obvious that Jimmy and Tommy were working on something together. Evelyn must have been a part of it too. Somebody was cleaning house and I had to move fast before the next body hit the ground.

I needed sleep or to get laid. Instead, I had another drink and before I knew it half the bottle was gone. I fell asleep in the chair, my gun in my lap.

Daylight pried its way into my living room and burned my eyes again. A wise man would've stopped drinking last night but I had never been accused of being wise, only stubborn. The phone rang and I knocked it over reaching for it. It was Vera.