A Kiss Is A Promise

Story Info
What are the chances?
4k words
4.24
11k
2

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 08/24/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The shirt cost me three grand. I've forgotten the name of the boutique where I purchased it. The name was European, I think. Either Spanish or Portuguese. Although I'm sure it would have little or nothing to do with clothes or fashion in a general sense because the owner didn't look like he'd traveled past Togo in his search for wares. His English wasn't even good. The boutique was one of those shops along CENTRAL PLAZA that starched the OK clothes, wrapped them in nylons, put them in show-glasses, and pumped the prices into over-kill, so much you'd think they were Dolce and Garbana franchises or Armani sub-outlets. Be that as it may, my image on the mirror looked good enough for the evening out I had planned for Diane and I.

"You look handsome enough." my cousin Clara said from behind me. I turned to see her standing at the doorway into my bedroom with a smile on her face. "So quit staring at yourself like that would improve anything."

"It's a first date! It's been a long time for me, or have you forgotten?"

Clara chuckled and sashayed up to me. "Come on! Talking like that will jinx the whole evening. She's going to look even more beautiful than the first time you saw her, and you'll find out you both have more than a lot in common..." She smoothed my collar at the back of my neck. "...She will tell you how much she enjoyed her evening, hint that she may see you again, and you'll kiss her goodnight in the end."

I laughed. "Clara, the hopeless romantic! No wonder you're still a virgin." I teased. I went to sit on the foot of my bed and pulled on a pair of white Espadrilles. I love flats. I looked up when she didn't reply.

She was scowling. "There is romance still left in the world, Obinna. Just wait, you'll see." She said it with a sureness that struck me as odd. I stared at her as she walked out of my bedroom without another word. Oh well, I didn't mean to hurt her feelings. I grabbed my green, sleeveless, Dior jacket laid out on the bed and left the house through the front door, shouting at her to lock up after me.

I took my two year old VW PASSAT 2008 – a red salon which was crawling to a ninety thousand mileage on its odometer. It was in pristine running condition regardless of its age, thanks to my buddy, Jerry who now managed his father's garage.

"OWU NO DE TOUCH MY BODY! OH BOY!" Naeto C and Reminisce were singing on the car's music box as I rolled out of the compound. Clara was in my rear mirror locking up behind me. I waited to get infected by their grand feeling of I-am-larger-than-life, but these rappers weren't communicable tonight. I felt no better than myself as I drove, which was probably for the best.

I turned the music down to dial Diane's cell number as soon as I hit Oron road which linked the street I lived with the rest of the town.

"Obinna!" She must have been using the phone because she picked as soon as the dial tone kicked in. "Woah! Is it six pm yet?" She seemed surprised.

Okay. That was totally unexpected. I'd readied a pleasant, maybe-I'll-get-a-kiss-at-the-end-of-tonight voice. It took a moment to switch back to normal, feeling the scowl spreading on my face. "You're kidding right? Where are you?"

"I'm at home! At home! Are you on your way?" She sounded unsure. I almost pulled up. "I haven't even had my bathe yet!"

Is that it? "Okay...uhm...how long do you need to get set?"

"An hour?" She smirked over the phone. "No, thirty minutes," she reiterated.

I parked outside the open gates into her apartment building forty-five minutes later. It was a one story building in the middle of a not-so-large, sandy compound similar to all the other houses along the quiet street. They all looked more than a couple decades old to me, but still retained a certain level of dignity. I didn't have to wait long. Diane exited the ground flat. Two other girls exited the house with her but stopped to watch from the front verandah – flat mates. I didn't notice much about them. My attention was glued to the beauty package walking...uh...approaching my car.

I'd say I'm a breast man, but I'm sure every guy out there is too, so the point is moot. Her breasts weren't visible and yet you knew she was well endowed on the chest level. She was wearing a brown, pintuck, short sleeve shirt with white horizontal stripes at the chest level tucked into a loose, blue skirt which had white polka dots that came down mid-distance between her knees and ankles, and a pair of red, heeled boots. (I know female clothes because my cousin runs a fashion blog) She held a pink purse in one hand. Very modest, and yet the way she moved, I swear I could tell she was very sexy underneath.

I smiled at her as she got closer, taking off my Rayban glasses to give her a clearer perusal. She rolled her eyes at me but smiled too. She got into the car.

"Diane! You look breathtaking!"

"Thank you! You're not looking bad yourself!" She observed.

I grinned as I started the car. "Really? I was afraid you'd think so." I joked and drove off.

We'd agreed we would first put up with a movie at the cinema (there was only one cinema in the whole town). Afterwards, we'd hit a bar or a restaurant, whichever appealed to us then. Nothing really serious, it was just a first date.

On the drive over, I asked her about her day at school. We'd chatted a couple times on BBM before today, so we knew a bit about each other. For instance, I already knew she was a final year student of microbiology at the State University who had just returned from a yearlong industrial training at Nigerian Breweries. She knew I was doing my graduate studies on ICT Management at the Federal University still in the same town. During the drive, I got her talking. It was easy. She liked talking and I happened to have the right questions. She mentioned the seminar presentation she was preparing, and seemed confident she'd murder it. It was a pretty pleasant drive all the way to the cinema location at Udoma Avenue, right at the edge of town. The lot was wide enough. It was easy to find space to park. She was surprised when I got out of the car to open her side of the car. That got her giggling.

"Okay, not that I've entered too many cars owned by guys, but this one never happened before."

I was surprised. "Like seriously?" I chuckled. "Glad to be your first." I said and stepped back because she made to punch my shoulder but sidestepping was easy. I laughed. She smiled. I was glad she was relaxed. I locked the car with its remote key. I offered her my hand. She declined it and walked off towards the cinema entrance. I caught up with her and we went in together.

The movie – a romantic comedy – had a field day with the audience's emotions. It was about the right hand man of the boss of a drug dealing cartel, who stumbled on a girl, fell in love with her, and eloped with her to his own peril. The same night, the boss' heir steals a great deal of loot from his father, and everything is blamed on the AWOL right-hand man. Aha! That was the title of the movie – AWOL. It was an interesting movie that got everyone emotional in the end. Diane had misty eyes which she tried to hide from me. I put an arm around her shoulder and patted. She fished for a handkerchief from her purse and dabbed her eyes. She wore no make-up, so there was no fear from that angle. We still had left over popcorn but our cans of coke were long gone.

"I really enjoyed that...the movie I mean," I said as the credits ran.

"I'd download it to my tab and watch it again. It was really amazing. Can you imagine..." she ran off and started narrating the story in bits like I didn't just watch it with her. Others were commenting too in their own little groups as we all trooped out of the viewing hall. I listened to her and chipped in my two cent.

I don't know if she realized it, but we were holding hands as we made our way to my VW. Night had fallen and that had probably made her relax the boundaries a bit. Her conversation had jumped from the movie we'd just watched to other movies by the same producer. I told her I wasn't a movie fan. I preferred sports. She liked soccer. We both loved Manchester United.

"Man-U!" She suddenly shouted, raising one of her hands.

"For Life!" I returned and we both started laughing. I couldn't tell her that she had a sizeable chest suitable for our club's next TV commercial. Man-Chester. That would be a compliment, but pre-first-kiss...probably too much too early. I have to mention this though, lest I forget. Her laugh was the most beautiful sound I ever heard. It wasn't just the sound. It was the way her face lit up like there existed a special switch connected to the spread of those luscious lips of hers, or the exposure of the beautiful gap in between her incisors which turned on a set of bulbs hidden one layer beneath her facial skin which made her face glow almost literally.

"I can't believe this!" Diane said. "I wonder what else we have in common!" I tentatively threw it out there to guage her reaction. Not that it was a big deal... In this part of the world, soccer fans were either for Manchester united, or Chelsea, or Arsenal, or Liverpool, Barcelona or Real Madrid. I'm not a betting man, but I'd wager the chances were one out of fourteen. Okay...yes, quite a big deal. How did I come about that math again? Fuh-gehht-a-bowt-ith!!!

"The night is not over, is it?" She asked. Eureka! My hope was completely off the roof. It must have showed in my eyes because she laughed. "Lemme see..." I looked up at the clouds, frowning thoughtfully. "Uhm...I'll bet there is a bit more that can be done before curfew time, My Lady." I said opening the door to the front passenger side for her to get in. She even had a thank-you smile for me. My blood vessels...tissues and organs too...fluttered.

For no reason at all, I looked around the place as I walked around the car to my door. i spied a well-dressed male stranger standing at the entrance into the cinema, watching me. My heart quit fluttering in my head and focused, but with the casual smile still on my face. I was quick to capture the face of the watcher before he looked away. He knew me. Or he knew my date. Or he... I searched my memory as I slid in beside Diane. I couldn't remember ever meeting the guy. But then, I'd been in this town long enough to be recognized by people I didn't know.

Still, the way the guy had looked at me...

"So, are we going to a restaurant or a bar?" Diane asked oblivious of my distraction. Focus on the beautiful girl beside you. I pushed all thoughts of unfamiliar-face wanna-be watch dog to the back of my mind. Maybe it was some dude who meant no harm. Just envious of...I looked at Diane. Of course I had the right to be envied, my ego said. Focus!

I drove us to a restaurant by Udoma lake on the other end of the three miles long Udoma avenue, mainly because I was hungry and I was perfectly okay with her doing most of the talking. A couple beers and I'd be competing with her God-given urge to voice her opinions.

Dinner went without a hitch. I got us a glass of wine each and when the menu came, she surprised me with her request.

"I'll have the West African Peanut Stew...with sweet potatoes, please" She noticed my raised eyebrows and shrugged. "I'm a vegetarian," she said. I smiled, even more surprised. "Really!

I have a great aunt who stays at Port Harcourt. She's a vegetarian too. Guess what, she's ninety-six and still drives to her vegetable farm!" I ordered rice and beans with chicken soup, and settled to listen to her lecture about the benefits of eating vegetables.

"I believe you, don't just attempt to take me away from egg and milk and meat... I might kill you." I laughed.

The air at the table was jovial and warm. She was pleasantly surprised when a live band came on and I could tell she enjoyed their rendition. She declined a second glass of wine after the meal. I settled the bill and we left.

Back in the car, we were in no hurry to call it a night. I was glad I met her. I could bet (being a non-betting dude) the feeling was mutual. We just sat in the car and talked.

"Do you remember how we met?" I asked.

"Yeah...classic scenario of boy meets girl at an airport lounge and shares a seat row on a flight. It happens every day."

"True...still not all those everyday situations end up like this...boy sits with girl in his car after dinner, totally content with each other's company. A week ago we were strangers on the same flight. It feels different tonight."

Diane chuckled. "And you think you know me?"

I shrugged. "I'm not competing with your friends or flat mates. They've known you for much longer. This night has shown me a lot though. If I knew you as long as they do, I'd know you much better."

She laughed at my subtlety. "You're a funny guy." She stared at me for a while, then half leaned towards me. "A gentle man yes..."

I swear my breath caught. There is something about a sensuous woman closing in on a man's personal space, especially one whose lips you've been thinking about. It does things to a man's medulla. I wasn't exactly as simultaneous as the second jaw of a pincer, but I didn't hesitate a second more. I met her halfway.

"...but still a funny guy." She finished.

I could feel her warm breathe on my face. "You think?" I whispered. "I wonder how hilarious you'd find this then." My lips touched hers.

One second. Nothing. I nibbled her lower lip. She responded by pressing some more towards me. Her lips opened. I got bolder; no longer tentative. I nibbled at the upper one. She turned her head perpendicularly and opened up some more. My tongue crept forward and into hers, seeking to explore their wet warmth. I felt her tongue circling mine, an ancient passionate maneuver. I turned my head in the opposite direction to go deeper. She moaned. It got even hotter. I put my arms around her and pulled her into a tight hug. The longer our lips stayed merged, the more frenzied the kiss became. For someone who hadn't kissed a girl in two years, I was glad the leopard still had some spots.

How did it end? I can't remember exactly. Mutually I think, because she didn't push me. We must've simply run out of breathe. We didn't kiss forever, that's for sure. Even though I wanted to latch back onto her sweet mouth, it was a first kiss and we were in public. We leaned back into our seats, heaving after our breaths.

"That was one hell of a thank-you kiss." I said.

She chuckled. "Just shut up and drive me home!" She ordered

I drove her back to her apartment on Nsit lane off Abak road. We were both silent throughout the drive. If what was on my mind was the same thing on hers, I wouldn't blame her for not being her usual self. I mean, she'd gotten her pleasant Friday evening, and I'd gotten my kiss. What happens next?

"I'll like to see you again," I said as I pulled up outside her open compound.

"Well, that'd have to be next weekend. "She saw my surprise and added. "This seminar has four grade points and I want to bag an A," she said.

"When is the seminar?"

She frowned. "You want to come?"

I thought for a second. "Uh, if my schedule is clear. Why not?" She leaned in and gave me a peck.

"Thanks, I'd like that." She opened her door and alighted from the car. "I'll see you on Thursday, that is if your schedule is free."

I didn't tell her, but I was sure I'd push anything aside to spend more time with her. We waved each other and I watched her for a bit as she entered the compound towards the apartment building, unseen hips swinging beneath her loose skirt. I could tell. I couldn't wait for Thursday to arrive. I put the gear in drive and drove home to my cousin, feeling elated.

I was watching an entertainment show on AIT at the living room around midnight when I heard a strange noise outside my house. It sounded like feet shuffling. I muted the TV to listen but it had stopped in the next instant. I had a bottle of beer in my hand which I set on the coffee table in front of me. I wasn't afraid yet. I thought my ears were playing games with me. I was going to investigate though.

Thank God, the living room lights were off and the room was only illuminated by the TV lights flickering. I got to my feet and walked to the window that looked out into the front yard. I pushed the curtain a bit and looked out.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of something familiar – the spursssshhhhh of air out of a pressurized containment– which could only happen in my front yard because... my eyes widened in realization... SOMEONE WAS SLASHING MY CAR TIRES.

I heard the sound again. My ears were really tuned in now. This time it came with a preceding stab. The VW, whose bonnet was in my line of vision, slumped backwards. What the hell? Why would someone want to slash my tires? I saw his silhouette move around to the front.

I went numb, but only for a second. As the rage took over, I remembered the cutlass which Clara usually used to cut dried stock fish in bits. Clara...she was sleeping. There was no need to involve her. I could only think of slashing through the cheeky bastard who thought it was fun to intrude and cause havoc on my property and leave him a permanently grinning jaw bone. I tiptoed out of the living room and was brandishing a cutlass when I returned.

I unlocked the front door careful not to make a sound. I switched on the light next and charged out of the front door, past the porch to shadow crouched beside my car, about to stab the third tire. He heard me and scrambled away from me and the car. I went after him with my cutlass raised, ready to hit him with the flat end when I heard the unmistakable sound of a gun cocking. I froze as my brain slowly registered the information. There was a second guy. I could hear him now, approaching me from behind. I tried to turn.

"Don't even think about it!" I heard him say in the meanest tones I've heard in a long while. I obeyed. The circular mouth rested on my back and a hand relieved me of my cutlass. I felt naked. I thought about Clara sleeping inside, but I knew better than to show my fear. The slasherman walked to me, his assurance restored once I was disarmed. His face was covered with a scarf.

"Go and finish the rest of the tires so we can leave." The gunman behind me ordered. He left to continue his work on my tires.

I raised my hands in surrender. The gun on my back relaxed. I turned to face the man behind me only to realize it was not one, but two men. The second man held a gun too, but he wasn't pointing it. It was too dark to see the make of their weapons but I knew that the only chance I stood was to behave while the slasherman did his work.

The second gunman walked up to me.

"So, you are the guy going with my girlfriend now? Cinema movies...fancy dinners...parking lot kisses."

The guy was speaking in plural while it had all gone down one time. One cinema movie....One diinner, not altogether as fancy as fancy should be...and one parking lot kiss, a hot one nonetheless. Not that I could make my point. His eyes were full of hate and his face were almost as close to mine as his girlfriend's had been a few hours ago just before I kissed her, that the feeling pulsing beneath his face was crystal enough not to be confused for anything else. That didn't bother me. If shooting me was the plan, I'd be bleeding on the ground by now. Still, Girlfriend?

"Girlfriend! Diane never told me she was seeing someone..." Someone so handsome. I held that bit back. I could hear my tires' dying sighs.

"And that is the only reason you're still on your feet, boy. There will be no next time, because if there is, I won't vouch for my friend's itchy fingers over there." I looked at his colleague-at-arms. He was probably the same height as the guy who'd stalked I and Diane at the cinema house. I couldn't tell for sure though. I turned to Diane's 'boyfriend'. "What if I run into your girlfriend, say at the supermarket, or in school, or..."

12