A Long Drop Down Pt. 01

Story Info
A young man's life turns for the worse...
6.6k words
4.64
8.5k
7

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/04/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a continuation of a submission for the 750 word contest. All those who commented thanks for your words and hope this lives up to the expectations... not much erotic in this build-up but juicy bits to come.

*****

Mark kicked a pebble as he approached the entrance to the park, he kicked it pretty hard thinking whose going to be around at this time and day especially in this murky weather. The rusted hinges on the gate creaked as he pushed against the same to enter into the park. Head down, lost in his own world, wondering whether life was worth living, millionaire times over, so what? Was that what life was all about?

He stumbled onto the bench having reached it mechanically and found himself stumbling onto the same without thought of what lay on the bench. Suddenly he found himself jumping of the bench in surprise as something slithered of from the other end possibly equally in shock and Mark could not help but shudder at the sight of the snake disappearing into a nearby bush having been displaced from inside an old discarded paper bag that sat exactly where his small butt had landed. Tears welled up in his eyes as he thought what just rewards the day was heaping on him, indeed, a snake in his little Eden was just the icing on the cake. Snake indeed, Simon, the brother or rather so called brother who had crawled into his little perfect world and made him look like a fool.

His thoughts jumbled, Mark brushed off the discarded bag and sat back on the bench, a wary eye on the bush with the snake, well, couldn't see much with the gloomy weather or was it the tears that threatened to tumble down his cheeks if left unchecked. Just as he started trying to make sense of everything a pebble landed smack in the middle of his head and once more Mark found himself jumping up in surprise, pain and anger as his hand lifted to where the pebble had hit, turning to find the source of his torment. His eyes fell on someone in a dark cloak, features blurred by the tears still smarting his eyes.

"Well, guess we're even" said the cloaked figure in a gruff voice, "you should look before you kick pebbles all over the place, never know what you might injure with your reckless behavior". Mark couldn't understand what the figure eluded to until he remembered the pebble at the gate that he had vented his anger on. Still, whoever this person was had no right to judge him just from that one kick.

His mother's voice, well the woman he called mother anyway came to mind, "always be kind to your elders" "never hurt someone without just cause" what a load of dog shit that had been! One set of laws for Abel and another for Cain. With these thoughts in mind Mark turned towards the figure slouching away to vent more when he noticed the state of the torn cloak, the limp in his right leg and how he was favouring his left arm.

"Hey Mr." he called out, moving towards the figure. The person turned toward Mark and in that moment Mark's eyes fell on the weathered old face showing scars going under an unkept beard and the frail body beneath the cloak that looked more like the clothes hangar in his cupboard holding up the cloak and clothes than a living being. The person seemed to shift his gaze everywhere in search of any hidden accomplices of the young man before him. Mark reached out his hand in an offer to shake the man's hand. Unsure how to react, the man shook Mark's hand with a gentle but firm grip that spoke volumes to Mark of the man's strength. "Look, I meant no harm to you Sir, just vented my anger not realising there could be others around. Perhaps if you would allow me to do something for you to make amends?"

The old man retorted with a bitter laugh. "Yeah right! You could just wave your magic wand and make all my troubles disappear couldn't ya. Just as you can handle your own shit! Thanks but no thanks. Just mind your own business and I'll mind mine. How's that for a deal".

With that the man turned away but the goodness instilled in Mark from young age wouldn't let him just let it pass. "Look, you need some medical aid, better clothes and some warm food to tide you through these cold days. Could you at least let me help you with these?"

"What's in it for you?" the man asked not bothering to turn around. "You want me to return your favor with someone's murder, or a kidnapping? Maybe help you rob old pensioners whilst they sleep at night? No one does anything for nothing, no one! You got that! Not even blood is thicker than water these days."

His words hit home and something in Mark snapped, here he was trying to be helpful and this old fart was busy digging deeper in his own fresh wounds. Instead of an angry retort what came out of Mark's mouth shocked the old man forcing him to turn. The sound of anguish and agony as Mark screamed to him to just shut up as the dam broke and tears gushed down Mark's face scaring the old man more than anything he had witnessed to-date. It seemed as though Mark's soul was tearing out of his body as Mark was shaking and screaming holding his hands to his ears.

After what seemed hours but was about three minutes, the screams petered out as Mark got winded and the old man heaved a sigh of relief. Looking around to see if anyone else had noted or perhaps the local constabulary was rushing to the scene, not wanting any issues, the old man got hold of Mark's hand firmly and started wobbling away with Mark in tow. Just as he got Mark close to a bench a few meters away, Mark collapsed on the ground with deep heaves as his swollen eyes continued releasing tears messing his shirt and leaving streaks across his cheeks.

The old man parked himself on the bench and did what he had been doing for a number of years, he patiently waited for Mark to calm down as he watched the tree branches sway in the light breeze absorbing the distant sounds of traffic and town life as the world went on oblivious of the suffering of hundreds of others like Mark and himself. He wondered what had caused the young man to breakdown but knew he would not be getting any answers anytime soon. Why should it bother him as much? When over the years he had seen many within his little sanctuary scream for joy or breakdown in agony and pain? What was it about this young man that tugged at his heartstrings? Was it his apparent concern and care for his plight? Was there some cosmic power at work? Was it the so called God who had forsaken him for all these years? A mixture of thoughts and emotions filtered through his mind as he looked unseeingly at the trees being shaken and stirred by some invisible force.

Mark finally managed to check his emotions and wipe off the tears in his eyes and through his puffy eyes his sight fell on the old man lost in his own world. He realized that the old man had meant him no harm and surprisingly whatever he had triggered within Mark had been therapeutic and had brought some relief to his soul albeit little but enough to allow him to think a little more clearly. Mark also remembered his offer to the old man thus gathering his resolve, he raised himself on shaky limbs and offered his hand to the old man.

The old man snapped out of his thoughts at the proffered hand and took the same making no effort to stand as he questioningly looked up at Mark. In turn Mark tried to smile through his tear stained face "I made an offer and intend to keep my end of the same. There are no strings attached to my offer sir just a sincere wish to do something good to a fellow human being. Perhaps someday I may need the same or more and this may bring about a similar help to me. Please let me take you to the infirmary as well as get you some clothes and food. Perhaps if I could help you find some lodgings that would be better for you than this cold and damp park."

Seeing the honest sincerity in the boy's eyes touched a long dead part of the old man's heart. Nobody had bothered with him for the years he had lain in this park save for the occasional bobby on the beat or some obnoxious kid or an equally unbearable parent. Hidden in plain sight he was deemed a part of the non-living parts of the system akin to the stones and benches that were there but taken for granted. Hoping against hope that his trust in the young man was not going to be misplaced, the old man slowly rose to his feet "Samuel Graystone, nice to make your acquaintance young man".

"Mark. Mark Tinder. Nice to meet you too sir" replied Mark with a slight tremble in his voice. "Shall we?" with that, Mark slowly started walking with the old man towards the exit that led toward the streets.

Taking his phone out of the pocket, Mark moved his fingers across the screen and as they approached the exit, returned the phone to his pocket. Samuel looked at all this with concern. He couldn't fathom what was with these small gadgets. For over fifteen years he had lain hidden within the sanctuary of this park. Hardly venturing out as the leftovers of picnic goers, young kids discarding half eaten meals, people rushing to and from wherever dropping small packages of half eaten meals sufficed him for his meals. Water from the half empty bottles thrown into bins or as was more common on the sides of the walkways as people lost in these gadgets walked to and from through the park, seeing but not seeing nature's beauty and lost in their own little worlds. Samuel's last recollection of such devices was a screen with huge numbers below used to call and send messages. Even then it was an expensive novelty having replaced the reliable lines in the homes and offices. He well remembered... perhaps better not to bring up those memories... Being told the person was somewhere else whereas his eyes told him otherwise... gone were those days when the person was where the phone was... now you had to find the phone where the person was... how things had changed...

As they came out Samuel setting foot on the pavement on the Effingham and Greenvile road junctions after over a decade and a half, his steps cautious, measured, shifting eyes looking out for some unseen danger. The enterprise car club sign on the right calling out to Mark as he thought of transportation but there was no need for that. He wouldn't want to be traced having hired a car. That's why he had used his app to call a Braxi and by the looks of it, it was here. The cab driver looking cautiously at the unlikely pair making their way to the cab. Ready to bolt at the slightest of reasons. Many cases of theft, murder, kidnapping and the list was endless the kind of pain this job was. If it were not for the kids at home... The kids... Always something tying people to do even those things that caused daily pain and suffering. Always some reason making one to repeatedly punish oneself daily in monotonous thankless routines serving someone else's pockets at the expense of slowly poisoning oneself.

All these thoughts ran through the cabby's mind as Mark opened the door for the old geezer who stank to high heavens. Only the birds of the park could tell where he had been holding out and for how long. Shit! Now the whole car would have to be cleaned and sprayed again! First the drunk university students last night now this! The cabby was in a mind to just cancel the ride and let the young man find some other ride. As she debated all this in her mind, Mark had settled himself behind her and tapped her shoulder bringing her back to the now and present. These two could have walked to the Arches, she just knew in her bones this was a setup and she was going to pay dearly for taking this call.

"Look miss. I know you've got all sorts of questions in your mind right now and quite rightly so. But we mean you no harm and I'll make sure you're well recompensed for your troubles" well, perhaps those were not the right words to say to this lady who looked like she wanted to open her door and run. "My friend here (that got him a look from Samuel!) needs to be treated for some injuries that hinder him from movement. Moreover as you can see he is in need of some decent threads, food and possibly a warm place to rest. That's why I called for a cab knowing I couldn't get him all those within walking distance." As Mark explained all this, Samuel couldn't make sense as to when he had managed to dial and tell the cab to be where it ought to be. How did the cabby know he was the caller? It all seemed set-up to Samuel and he was sorely tempted to open his side of the car and bolt for the sanctuary of the park. The cabby looked back at the young man wondering if he'd lost his marbles and understood what a tall order he was placing upon her. This ride IF she accepted the whole lot could run into a few hundreds' not to mention keep her tied to them for who knew how long.

Mark wondered for the thousandth time if this was not just his mind making him do weird things to try and shut out what had brought him to the park in the first place. He was never one to jump into something without a plan, having put loads of thought into it and definitely never been one to just get on doing things for others. All three sat in the cab each with their own thoughts and total uncertainty as to what next. The pinging of the cabby's phone broke the thoughts of all as the sound was followed by some heavy metal music that shocked both occupants and caused the cabby to roll her eyes roof-wards as she keyed in to answer the call. Samuel looked on in wonder as the young lady seemed to talk to herself but it was apparent that she was speaking to a third party without lifting her phone. What had the world come to in the time he'd been hiding? All this time he'd assumed most of the park goers had lost it when he saw the same thing from afar but seeing it up close made him realise there was something else at work here.

The cabby in her frustration was now ranting at the caller, "Look here Jacko! Am on a job and am not one of your bitches that you call every time you need your knob polished! So what if you've not been paid for two weeks? Am not sitting on my fat arse watching sitcoms and blowing your money on weed. I've got things to do too you know and I'll make up your payment soon" the phone went dead and the cabby started pounding her steering as though she was going to turn it to mush. "That piece of dog shit! Sitting on his ugly arse thinking his every woman's dream come true! Aarggghhh! How did I end up in this shit!" she seemed to have forgotten there were spectators who were too shocked with her outburst to react initially.

However, gathering what little courage he had, Mark lay a hand on her shoulder and said, "Miss. Calm down for a sec will you". She jerked herself away from him turning back at him and let fly with a whole lot of expletives before realising this was possibly her meal just about to walk out of the car... And the kids meal... And that jerkoff's weekly rent... Some passer-by's had stopped and were watching the cab wondering what was going on. Mark realised the cabby had started the tab and that was also going on as they stood in one place! Samuel was trying to make sense of everything and decide whether to stay for the entertainment value or just go back where he'd come from.

"Look am sorry..." Both the cabby and Mark said at the same time and both fell silent together. Then all of a sudden both burst out in laughter and Samuel looked on wondering what he'd missed in all this. Had the world really gone looney? Who needed nukes to destroy such brains? The monkeys in the zoo didn't behave so erratically! Never mind... His kids... ohhh... No... no... no... not thoughts he wanted to be having now... No sir! Those were dark thoughts best left where they were.

Mark quickly sorted things out as his mind did best what he'd trained it for years to do. Quick as a fix he took stock of exactly where everyone stood at and started forming solutions. First up, he asked the cabby what the tally on the meter was. Seven pounds for sitting in one place through all this madness! Couldn't be helped now could it. He asked her to stop the meter which she did hesitantly thinking "here we go... Now they bail on me leaving me with a seven pound dent and the stink to boot!" Mark quickly allayed her fears by telling her he would make it good to her and removing the cover in his pocket as he spoke. Out of the cover came four fifties and suddenly the cabby's face showed even more fear! No one roamed around with that kind of cash handy unless they were into something she didn't want to know or get involved in! She'd seen enough in her short stint to know this couldn't rather it wouldn't end well for her. Yet the money seemed to have her enthralled. That would solve mighty many a problem and put out quite a few fires not to forget get her car cleaned before the next pickup.

Seeing the trepidation and the desire, the worry and the need in her facial expressions, Mark quickly laid out what he needed from her. First off, they needed to get the old man seen to either at the Bristol royal infirmary or Southmead hospital. Mark felt the infirmary would be a better bet as he could also try and get some decent clothes for the man from the city centre rather than near Southmead. He also needed to get some food into the old man as well as himself as his stomach was threatening to voice it's impatience at having been ignored. The cabby looked like she could do with some food too. Well, they could do all those in one go.

"Ok, here's the deal. You take us down Gloucester Road towards Cheltenham road. We can all grab a bite at either eat a pitta, Grecian Kebab or pizza hut... Your pick! Then you can take the Cotham Brow road onto Horfield Road and get us to the Royal infirmary. Once there, you can drop us off and we call you for a pick up once we're done. I'll give you enough to cover you for your troubles, pick up the tab for the food, even some extra to get your car cleaned. It's your call. All off the meter and you can pocket the extra and use that for whatever." Mark looked at the cabby, she looked back at him and Samuel feeling out of place seemed to have finally thought it was time to walk away. He'd had enough of this and time's were wasting. But just as he was about to open the door, the cabby started the car and moved away from the curb barely missing a curious onlooker who had stepped of the curb.

The cabby stopped her car outside the Grecian Kebab... Long time since she'd had extra to walk in through those doors... Perhaps on the way back if all ended well she could get the kids something other than the normal fare... Wishful thinking perhaps. Mark extended the four fifties to her to take which had been forgotten in all the confusion and asked her if she would get the food. Some drinks and kebab would be fine. Samuel just croaked water as they turned to look at him and Mark reminded the cabby to put on her hazards, take her phone, purse and key fob and they'd wait for her right there. As they waited for the cabby to return, Mark's focus returned to his phone and pulling the same out of his pocket he decided to save the cabby's number so as to be able to call her back once they were done at the infirmary. He looked up the number on true caller and found a name to the number. Sarah Greyshaw. Interesting. Why would she use her personal phone and expose herself to the nonsense clients? Perhaps she was using this line for just work. She didn't have a fat arse from what he had seen as she'd stepped out of the cab. Far from it, it was a well-rounded, firm looking tight arse from what he'd quickly seen. What had gotten into him? He wasn't used to looking at women's backs to pass judgement. Or perhaps her comments on the phone had triggered his curiosity? At least that part of his brain was not dead, yet! He was surprised he was even thinking along those lines so soon after... best not to bring that up now, not unless he wanted to ruin his appetite. Why the treachery and deceit? What had he done wrong? Or what hadn't he done right?

12