A Long Walk Home Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,494 Followers

"Ashleigh Bryant." His voice contained no emotion as he regarded her intently.

"You know who I am," she answered softly, surprise clearly in her expression and her voice.

He nodded slowly. "You have David's eyes and his familial scent too."

Danger flashed across his mind, his barriers ratcheting up as he saw pain flicker across her face briefly at the mention of her brother. This was why the little blonde was the biggest threat to him. Her pain at losing her family would never truly leave her. She could empathise with him and vice versa. She had the power to slip through his barriers if he wasn't careful.

A soft growl sounded from the vampire at her side but he ignored the other woman. Despite the growl he sensed no hostile intent though he kept a portion of his senses attuned to her. He would be foolish not to.

"Freya." It was a quiet plea, Ashleigh turning to look at her friend. At least he had a name for the vampire now though he didn't turn his head to acknowledge her. That name told him who she was, what she was in the hierarchy of the vampires. His alert status became more prominent. The vampire was more lethal than he had anticipated but it appeared David's sister had her under some form of control.

He could feel his wolf starting to stir within him. He was closer to the surface than normal but then he usually was around about this time. The moon was almost full and he would have to meet his agreement with the beast within him. He loathed doing so but it was the price he had to pay to be free of his wolf the rest of the time.

Ashleigh had turned back to him and was watching him with a thoughtful expression on her face. He waited for her to speak, to explain why she was here. He had a rough idea.

"I've been wanting to come and meet you for a while," she finally said. "Things have been a bit hectic recently though."

He cut her off abruptly. "Aaron leaves me messages," he answered tersely. He didn't want to hear it, didn't need to be told what had been happening. He knew all about the matings. He knew Cedar was mated to a vampire and now had two daughters that were hybrids.

He knew the Hanlon Pack had split and another Pack had formed in the neighbouring city. He had known that instantly when it had happened because that was the day his link with Jared Hanlon had been severed and a new link had been formed. He'd never met his new Alpha and didn't want to. He was only glad that the man was intelligent enough to stay away from him, to allow him his freedom as Jared had.

Another low, warning growl sounded from the vampire as the blonde paled slightly and swallowed hard at his abruptness. He knew what she had been hoping for by coming to him. Surely she must have known that it was a futile gesture?

"I can't give you what you need, Ashleigh." He softened his tone because despite everything he didn't want to hurt her unnecessarily. She was David's little sister and just for that she deserved better than what he was giving her at the moment.

"Maybe I can give you what you need, Dayton?"

There it was, the soft tone and compassion all over her face. The tentative hand of friendship being held out, a silent plea for a connection. For a moment David's face came to mind. He knew his friend would have wanted him to be some kind of comfort to his sister.

"I don't need anything," he answered coldly, his voice freezing her to the spot as he rebuffed her. She was obviously a very caring woman. Showing any sign of softness would just mean she would keep coming back. He wanted to get through to her completely that she wasn't required here.

He did feel a moment's regret at his hardness when he saw the pain in her eyes at his rejection and heard the soft gasp that escaped her but he didn't soften this time, made himself irresolute. "You've wasted your time coming here."

He was suddenly flying backwards so quickly he barely had time to blink. The vampire pinned him to the wall, emerald fury in her eyes as she hissed loudly, her face barely an inch from his. His wolf howled, his hackles rose but he didn't fight back. He met her fury with a gaze that was totally devoid of emotion.

"Freya!" Ashleigh yelled, hurrying towards them, her voice full of panic. There had been no sign that she was going to react, the low growls previously being issued were normal for her sister-in-law. Her heart was in her throat as she tried to get between them. She was afraid the vampire would hurt him.

"One little bite and you're dead," Freya hissed as she stared into hard, blue eyes, ignoring Ashleigh completely so intent was she on the cold, unyielding man in her grasp. Her fangs had already elongated, the urge to nip at his throat making her mouth water.

She had tried to do as Ashleigh asked of her but the way the wolf had looked right through her as if she was nothing had set her on edge immediately. She wasn't accustomed to being so thoroughly dismissed as if she didn't exist. She was an Ancient and one of the most deadly predators to walk the planet. People respected her and they feared her too.

The way he spoke to Ashleigh was also intolerable. She could feel the distress radiating from her brother's mate even though she tried hard not to show it. Who did this wolf think he was to hurt her sister-in-law?

"Freya, release him." Ashleigh's tone was firmer, more demanding. "I don't want this."

Freya turned to regard her intently, a slow smile creeping across her face. "This is only partially about you, Ash," she drawled softly, meeting the other woman's gaze unflinchingly. Anger and something else she didn't understand was coursing through her body, making her tighten her grip on the powerful, male throat beneath her fingers.

His skin felt good against her hand, his muscles hard and unyielding. He was obviously very strong for a wolf and she liked strength in her men. For a brief moment she didn't know whether she wanted to lick him or sink her fangs into the pounding pulse at the side of he neck.

Her gaze swung back to the man she had pinned by the throat. "I find myself inexplicably wanting to taste a little wolf blood personally." Her tone was curious as she leaned forward and scented him deeply, smelling the wind, pine trees and something undeniably male. There was not one trace of fear in his scent.

His face remained impassive, his eyes devoid of all emotion. She wasn't really going to bite him but she did want to play a little. Only her prey wasn't playing her game. The only person who was actually upset with her was Ashleigh.

She hissed at him again, retracting her fangs slowly. "Pity for you, dog. I don't do mercy kills." Her tone was full of disgust as she released him, backing away, her eyes still burning with annoyance but there was something else deep within them; interest.

Dayton watched her, his eyes narrowing slightly. Her last words had struck a chord. He hadn't been frightened when the vampire had grabbed him for that exact reason. If she had bitten him then he would be dead in an instant and he wouldn't have to keep waking up every morning. Vampire venom was fatal to a Were, unless the couple involved were mated.

Ashleigh frowned as she glanced between them both and then turned back to Dayton. For a moment she had seen disappointment flicker across his face and she knew that some part of him had hoped that Freya would bite him. Her entire being rebelled at the thought of someone wishing to die so much and yet she could understand it too.

"I once felt as you do," she said softly, memories running through her mind of the time when she had wanted to lie down and die, her own grief so overpowering that nothing could touch it. And then Nors had been there refusing to let her give in, pulling her reluctantly back to the land of the living with his endless patience and unwavering dedication.

Dayton's gaze left the vampire to turn back to Ashleigh. The compassion was still in her eyes as well as a slightly haunted expression which slowly cleared.

"Life is worth living, Dayton. The pain does recede and happiness is out there if you're brave enough to reach out and accept it." Her voice remained soft, a small smile of comfort crossing her lips. "Maybe it's not time for you just yet but when it is, my door will always be open to you. I'm sorry we disturbed you. I just wanted you to know that. David would have wanted me to be here for you."

For a brief moment his expression softened, a world of agony appearing in his eyes and then it was gone as instantly as it had appeared and the hard mask was back.

"Happy ever afters are for fairy stories," he answered bluntly. "Take you pet vampire and leave, Ashleigh. I don't want you here in my Gallery. Tell that to all of them, just in case they decide to emulate you. If they come here I will move on again. I will close down my email account and my cell too. Tell Aaron that."

A frown full of unhappiness crossed Ashleigh's face. She had hoped coming to see him would be the start of Dayton slowly coming back to them, that she could somehow reach him where no one else had been able to. She had erred in her judgement. She had only pushed him further away. He was threatening to remove even the loose contact his family still had with him.

"They won't come, Dayton. Cedar told me not to, that this was a bad move. But I had to try. Please don't punish your family for my mistake. They don't deserve it."

He didn't answer her, his expression inscrutable. She could only hope that her words had gotten through. She took Freya's arm and tugged slightly, urging the vampire to leave with her. She could see anger on the other woman's face and was anxious to get her out of the gallery before she erupted again.

Freya resisted her for an instant, a smile on her lips which held no warmth as her gaze bore into the man in front of her. "Pet vampire?" She suddenly laughed, a rich tinkling sound that was so at odds with the cold, hardness of her demeanour.

"You shouldn't have said that, little doggie. It isn't wise to give me ideas. I've never owned a pet before. Maybe I might have to see if I can train one up to come to heel when I call?" It was obvious just who she fancied as having for a pet.

"Freya, will you stop," Irritation laced Ashleigh's voice, a hint of fear trembling just beneath it. If she had known bringing her would have caused such a headache she would have argued with Nors about leaving her behind. She didn't want Dayton on Freya's radar, which he obviously now was.

Dayton was smart enough not to answer the vampire. He knew anything he said would only be construed as a challenge and she would act on it. Instead he kept his expression impassive, let her have the last word.

She was a megalomaniac like most vampires. She needed to have the power so he let her have it. To do anything else would be an open invitation and he most definitely didn't want her to come back. The skin on his throat still burned with the heat of her hand wrapped around it. He didn't want her laying hands on him ever again.

The vampire slowly relaxed, her expression softening as she turned to look at the little blonde. "You take all the fun out of life, Ashleigh," she sighed with resignation in her voice, but there was a hint of warmth in her tone and in her eyes. She spared one last glance at the wolf and then she followed her sister-in-law out of the gallery.

Dayton watched them leave, surprised when he felt his lips tug in a slight smile. It was plain to see that Ashleigh was having words with the tall vampire as they climbed back into the car. The other woman actually had a resigned expression on her face, as if this was a normal occurrence. Knowing how deadly Freya Eriksson was, it was almost amusing to see her submit to the verbal telling off she was getting.

Then they drove away and his hand automatically went to his throat, to the place where the vampire had touched him. He could still feel the imprint of her grip, could still feel the heat as if it was branded into his skin. It had been so long since a woman had laid hands on him that he'd forgotten what it felt like.

There was only one person living he allowed to touch him in human form and he hadn't seen her in over two years. She had earned the right to touch him, she understood his boundaries. No one else had that right but the vampire had done so. He would have killed her if he could have but he knew it was an impossible task. She was Ancient. She could snap him in two without any real force required.

His thoughts were in turmoil as he tried to process everything that had happened. Would Ashleigh stay away? Would her visit spell the start of something he didn't want? There was a chance this meeting would be reported back to Rafe Hanlon, that his new Alpha would decide it was time to visit his errant pack member. Was it time to start packing again?

A flicker of blackness interrupted his musing and his keen gaze sharpened, looking out the window to the street. The flicker happened again on his peripheral vision and his head swung to the left. The side of his mouth quirked slightly as he connected with the blackness. Talk of the Devil and she was sure to appear.

Rayne had lingered outside the Gallery, close enough to hear what was being said but staying out of sight. Masking her scent was child's play, she did it instinctively. Shadowing herself required a bit more skill but nothing too excessive. She did that instinctively too as she eavesdropped on what was occurring inside.

She'd considered intervening when the vampire had flown at Dayton but her enhanced senses had told her there was no real intent to harm him. And she didn't want to give her presence away to the other two women. Being invisible was second nature to her, she had been doing it for so long now she couldn't remember when she had first started.

She opened the door and slipped inside the Gallery, her gaze quickly running over her friend, ensuring he had come to no harm. He appeared to be okay though she could sense his anger boiling deep within him. She knew why he was so angry. The vampire had touched him. She hadn't only touched him but it was skin on skin contact. Not something the strong male before her found acceptable.

Dayton watched her intently, the faint hint of a welcoming smile on his face. Two years was nothing in the life span of a Were and he hadn't really noticed her absence when she was gone. And yet, now she was back he realised that he had missed her.

Rayne was a law unto herself. She came and went as she pleased, often without a word of warning. She had fallen into his life almost as soon as he had left the pack. Nothing he'd done had persuaded her to leave him alone, she had just kept coming back until one day he hadn't tried to make her leave. That day had been one of the rare times he had seen the real woman behind the mask she wore for the world.

She was almost as tall as he was, coming close to six foot. She had a love affair with the colour black and was dressed accordingly. Tight black jeans rode low on her hips, a short black T-shirt concealing most of her womanly curves though leaving a little of her midriff on show.

An emerald and diamond piercing glittered in her naval, matching the strikingly unusual colour of her eyes. Those eyes were haunting, spellbinding in their unusualness. They were deep green but the iris was bordered by a thin circle of silver.

Her complexion was pale, her skin satiny soft and completely unblemished. Thick, midnight black hair was secured in a long ponytail high on her head, her exquisite face so breathtakingly beautiful that many a man was quick to trip over when she walked passed them. One look into her eyes was enough to have them looking away and keep walking though. The hint of wildness in her gaze was enough to send a shiver down anyone's spine, no matter what the gender.

Those eyes very seldom softened but they invariably did around him. Rayne regarded him as her friend. He was probably the only one she had and the feeling was mutual. She was the only person he let within his barriers because she was the only person he could trust to respect his boundaries.

They were the same; damaged beyond repair. He didn't know what nightmares lay in her past but he knew she had them. They were most probably worse than his. The very nature of their pain was what brought them together. They were kindred spirits.

Which was how Dayton had known that Ashleigh was a danger to him. He sensed in her the same feeling he had when he had first met Rayne. The same kindred spirit lived within Ashleigh, calling to the part of him that was still susceptible to giving a damn. Which was why he had faced the wrath of the vampire to push the little blonde away.

The silence between them stretched for a little longer and then Rayne's lips curled in a little smile, warmth entering her eyes. "I see you need to work on your pick up lines," she drawled softly, her voice a husky sound that filled the Gallery and made it feel less cold.

Dayton stiffened, the feel of steely fingers once more wrapping around his neck making his eyes narrow sharply with displeasure. "I see you still have a smart mouth," he countered coolly.

"Is that any way to welcome me home?" A sultry laugh bubbled out of her lips, pleasure washing through her. Being with Dayton was the only home she knew. It was a fleeting moment of belonging which never lasted long before her wanderlust took hold again but it was one she sought more often than she cared to examine.

"How long were you out there?" he asked moving over to the small desk in the corner that he used for discussing purchases with clients. He sat down in the chair behind it, watching as she walked across the room to perch on the edge of the desk, letting one leg swing nonchalantly. "Nice boots," he added dryly giving the leather and sharp stiletto spiked heel an appreciative glance.

Rayne laughed again. "I'm going for the dominatrix look. Have I managed it?"

Truth be told everything about the woman sitting on his desk was decidedly lethal. She moved with an unchecked feline grace which screamed to the world that she was dangerous. Her boots were a part of her human arsenal. She would use them as a deadly weapon if need be.

Other Weres would take one scent of her, one quick glance and they would know instantly that she was a Werecat. They wouldn't know what kind of cat she was but he did because he had seen her in animal form. Her panther was impressive, midnight black, all honed sleek muscles that could rip prey apart effortlessly. He had watched her do it before.

"Sounds like your pack is trying to lure you home," she answered his question when he didn't comment further.

He frowned deeply, an angry black scowl crossing his face. "They will fail."

Rayne couldn't help but smile at the total vehemence in his voice. She had walked with him a long time, longer than she had ever spent in anyone else's company. Her gut instinct told her that his time was coming. He may not be ready to face it yet but one day soon the beautiful man before her would find some peace within his tortured soul.

It gave her a little hope deep inside. If Dayton Alexander could find some peace then maybe she could too. Maybe her endless centuries of solitude would end.

"So, how long can I expect to see you around this time?" he finally asked. It was a game with them whenever she turned up. He would try hard not to ask the question and she would try not to tell him her plans. Sometimes she won but usually it was he who did. The fact he was asking her so soon was a testament to how rattled he was about his female visitors, even if he wasn't willing to admit it yet.

Rayne reached out, caught a lock of silver hair in her fingers and let it trickle slowly through before she traced her knuckles gently against the side of his face. She met his gaze as she touched him, smiling gently as he allowed the light contact with barely a flinch. "For as long as you need," she breathed softly.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,494 Followers