A Mist Of Whispers Ch. 03

Story Info
It's been quiet this morning.
3.4k words
4.47
21.9k
0

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/09/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Morning Kithan." Sarah's voice held relief.

He tilted his head as he stepped into the elevator and hit the 5th floor button. Turning slightly so he could look to Sarah. "Morning Nurse Sarah."

Sarah smiled softly as she re-closed her coffee brown eyes. "How's it been this morning Kithan? Quiet?"

Kithan shrugged, then he realized her eyes were closed and shook his head quietly to himself, "Yes, Nurse Sarah, it has."

He watched her until he heard the elevator doors open, then he walked to them and out, turning to wait for her. Sarah's coffee brown eyes opened to look into Kithan's strangely violet blue eyes; she smiled and slipped out of the elevator. He fell instep beside her as they headed towards the staff room. "How's your morning going Nurse Sarah?"

Sarah lightly shrugged even as she answered, and walked to the washing up tray, fishing out two mugs she put them on the sideboard slowly and looked to the kettle, even as Kithan wandered over to the kettle and picked it up, moving it over to the sink he filled the kettle up, and turned putting it back, and turning it on.

Kithan slowly leaned into the sideboard, eyes watching Sarah as she put coffee and sugar into the mugs, and waited for the kettle to boil.

"Click."

The kettle turned off. Sarah turned to it and lifted it slowly up, filling both mugs; she put the kettle back and turned stirring both mugs. Lifted them both she turned and handed one to Kithan and with him walking beside her they moved out into the corridor, their voices soft as they spoke while they drank their coffee.

In Annabel's room, her blue eyes flickered open slowly. Even as she tilted her head, as she heard a soft sound, blinking slightly, in a soft voice she murmured, "Is that you Sarah?"

Listening carefully, she kept her light off, reaching out carefully with a pale hand; she caught a hold of the buzzer that sent a direct note to Sarah's beeper. Pressing it, she then slowly wrapped her hands about her upper body.

Annabel silently wondered if it was another patient wandering the halls, at this hour. She certainly hoped so, for if it wasn't. Her body shivered involuntarily, as she wrapped her arms about her upper body slowly, hugging herself as she brought her legs up in the bed, drawing her knees up to her chest.

"First time in a while since I've seen you come up here Kithan? Hope nothing happened?" her voice soft.

Kithan seemed to shrug slightly, as he took a mouthful from his mug of coffee. "Not really. It just seems," He pauses, "Darker up here during the night hours. Yeah I know I requested it, more money."

Sarah seemed to nod to herself, agreeing with him, a faint smile touching her lips, as she took a mouthful of her coffee. "I know. It is more money."

At the moment Sarah heard a beep coming from her beeper. She seems to blink as she reaches down plucking it off the end of her shirt. Kithan took a mouthful from his mug of coffee.

Sarah slowly headed towards the elevator, Kithan slowly trailed after her, even as she hit the button.

"Ting."

The elevator doors opened, and they both walked inside, Sarah turning hitting the button to take them to the 4th floor. Kithan tilted his head slightly towards Sarah, his voice soft, "Got problems?"

Sarah nodded, leaning into the side of the elevator, even as she lifted up her mug, and took a mouthful of coffee, her voice soft as she spoke. "Annabel."

Kithan seemed to nod slowly.

"Ting."

The elevator doors opened slowly, as Sarah walked out it, Kithan following her out, even as she headed towards Annabel's room.

Annabel blue eyes locked onto Sarah's figure she saw enter her room, even as she saw the figure standing behind her, she tilted her head slightly to one side. "Sarah?"

Sarah walked inside the room, moving over to Annabel's bed, standing beside it she looked down to her, her voice soft as she spoke, "Yes, it's me. Nightmare's again?"

Annabel shook her head slowly, even as a pale hand reached out and slowly turned the switch on, the metal lamp sitting on her bedside table, cast a dim light, chasing away most of the shadows in the room. "No, it wasn't the nightmare. I just thought I heard someone. Walking around"

Sarah tilted her head, reaching down with a well-practiced soft touch to her forehead. Annabel relaxed slowly, underneath Sarah's soft touch to her face. "It's all right. Kithan and I will check around. You'll be all right, your safe here."

Annabel softly nodded, even as she felt Sarah's hand withdraw from her forehead. Slowly she stretched her legs out along the bed, snuggling back down into her pillow. She knew Sarah would be able to sort it out. Her mind faltered as single thought flashed through her mind, 'What if Sarah couldn't sort it out. Would she be safe then?'

Annabel slowly mentally shook her head, even as she closed her eyes and snuggled down again.

Sarah reached out with a hand, turning the lamp off.

"Click."

Walking back out to the corridor, she looked down it, spying Kithan; quietly she walked over to him, a faintly worried look upon her face. Even as she very softly spoke, "Annabel said she heard something."

Kithan tilted his head to one side as he drank the last of his coffee, hand holding the empty mug in his hand. His voice coming out as soft as Sarah's had, "Heard what?"

Sarah seemed to tilt her head slightly to one side slowly, her voice soft, "Footsteps. She thought she heard someone walking around."

Kithan seemed to slowly nod to Sarah, even as he took her coffee mug and put them both on the main counter to the Nurse's station. He turned looking back over his shoulder to her. "You want to stay here, or come?"

Sarah walked forwards and into the Nurse's station, moving over to her desk she opened a draw, and pulled out a mini silver flash light, she pushed the draw closed and walked out to Kithan, spying the look on his face she smiled faintly, "On the night's when you remained down stairs Kithan, who do you think checked out the weird sounds around this place?"

He seemed to almost go to shrug before he shook his head gently from side to side, his voice low, "Sarah, your supposed to beep me if you have any problems." He paused as he saw her moved to speak, "Or if you hear any weird noises. Right?"

Sarah just seemed to smile to Kithan, before she moved over to beside him, taking a few steps away from him she looked back over her shoulder to him, "Coming?"

Kithan lightly shook his head from side to side as he started after her. Sarah paused waiting for him to catch up to her; as they walked down the corridor slowly, Kithan and Sarah checked the rooms to see if anyone was missing from their bed. Room after room everyone appeared to be sleeping peacefully tonight.

Sarah seems to softly sigh as they continued. Her mind wondering who or what could have been walking along this floor, to have woken Annabel from her nights sleep. The girl needed more sleep, than she'd gotten. That Sarah knew for sure, even as she checked in the next room. Her paces seemed to falter before she stopped still, and slowly moved to enter the room.

Kithan turned, his hand reaching out and taking a hold of Sarah's arm as he stopped her. Shaking his head at her, he moved past her heading into the room. Sarah seemed to blink, before mentally shaking her head. Either she'd been more worried about finding out who had woken and worried Annabel, or she'd just about made a mistake. Even she knew, that women staff members here didn't walk into male patients rooms during the night shift. Yet that's what she would have done if Kithan hadn't been here to actually reach out and stop her. She wondered to herself what he would have thought if he knew she'd had to do it three weeks ago, only because he hadn't answered his pager.

Kithan entered the room, his well trained violet blue eyes searching the room even as he moved towards the bed, reaching out a hand he touched what would be the shoulder, only to feel it cave in underneath his gentle touch. He swore under his breath softly as he took a hold of the blankets and pulled them back, revealing a set of pillows fluffed to rough human shape. Swearing again softly, he called back to Sarah, "Hey, Sarah, who's room is this?"

Sarah blinked coming out of her thoughts, she kicked her mind back into gear as she walked forwards slowly, furrowing her eyebrows faintly; "That's Jordy Grays room?"

She stopped as her coffee brown eyes came to rest on the pillows lying where Jordy should have been, as she lightly shook her head. Kithan's voice was soft as he spoke to her next, "Is this a problem?"

Sarah softly sighed, even as she spoke to him softly, "Perhaps, Jordy can be a little bit of a handful sometimes. I've just no idea why he'd be wandering the corridors at this hour. He usually sleeps right through the night, until Clara awakens him at 8am."

Kithan nodded to himself, even as he took Sarah by the arm leading her out of Jordy's room back into the corridor. He looked up then down it, even as Sarah did the same, her expression showing she was thinking to where Jordy could have gotten. Finally she spoke, after Kithan had been watching her for a few moments, "He could have gone looking for someone to talk to."

After which she shrugged slightly. At the moment it was the only suggestion as to where he was she could come up with, that seemed at all like something Jordy would do.

Kithan seemed to raise his violet blue eyes to the ceiling of the corridor, even as he thought to himself. 'If I were like him, where would I go?'

After a moment Sarah removed Kithan's lax hand off her arm as she walked quietly down the corridor, heading into the Nurse's station, she went to her desk. Kithan seemed to blink himself out of his thoughts just as he saw her enter the Nurse's station, lightly he shook his head, murmuring to himself, "Independent woman."

Sarah emerged just as Kithan met her at the door, holding onto a box of chocolate chip cookies. He seemed to blink, tilting his head as he lifted a hand and rubbed lightly at his forehead. "Sarah, this is no time for cookies."

Sarah seemed to softly chuckle. "There not for us, you twit. They're for Jordy. I remembered he happens to like chocolate chip, and I happened to have some. It might help, if we find him.

As she murmured the last few words of the sentence, she heard soft voices coming from up the corridor. She titled her head, even as Kithan turned lightly taking her by the hand, as they crept up the corridor, hoping to find the source of the softly whispered voices.

A faint glow of light, came from a room she recognized well the closer they came to it, as did the voices coming from inside it. Jordy and Annabel were quietly talking about chocolate fudge, and how much Jordy liked chocolate chip cookies.

Sarah faintly shook her head, even as quietly she walked forwards, and slipping into the room, only to see that Jordy was carrying a bugs bunny torch in his hand and he was sitting on the side of Annabel's bed, that she was sitting up and they were very deeply engrossed in their conversation, too engrossed to realize as Sarah put the cookie box onto Annabel's bedside table, she turned creeping out, and back to Kithan.

Kithan looked to her perplexedly, as she motioned for him to come down to the Nurse's station with her. Walking in after her he turned about the Head Nurse's swivel chair and sat down on it, looking to Sarah, as she sat down, his elbows leading on the back rest, his voice puzzled but soft as he spoke, "Take it Jordy was there?"

Sarah nodded, a faint smile touching her lips. Kithan thought to himself; 'I really love it when she smiles.' Softly Sarah spoke, "Yes, he was. They were talking about chocolate chip cookies, and fudge."

Kithan gently shook his head, even as he lifted his violet blue eyes to look into Sarah's coffee brown ones, "Want another coffee?"

Sarah seemed to look to the silver clock on the wall, even as she nodded and looked back to Kithan, "Another coffee sounds wonderful."

She smiled to him, her features seeming to relax, even as a hand reached out automatically picking up the paper she'd sat on the edge of the head nurse's desk, a few hours earlier. She placed it onto her desk, even as Kithan stood, and put the swivel chair back under the head nurse's desk. "I'll go get it this time. You wait here. Won't be more than a few moments."

Sarah seemed to nod to him even as she turned on her chair, picking up her pen, she began making more notes down on the sheet. Filling on the past hours few events.

Kithan watched Sarah work for a while, before on silent feet he left the Nurse's Station and walked down the corridor heading for the elevator, a soft smile touching his lips, with Sarah on his mind, as he pushed the button. He waited one hand slipping into the pocket of his black slacks.

"Ting."

The elevator doors opened, and Kithan walked inside, turning he leaned against the right side, a fingertip reaching out to touch the button for the 5th floor. He silently mused on Sarah's inner strength that he'd seen on rare occasions, when she relaxed about people, when she felt comfortable with them. He smiled, even as the elevator doors opened with a, "ting."

He walked out, and they closed almost silently behind him, except for the soft whooshing sound they made, he heading down to the staff room, and inside, checking the water in the kettle, he added some more, and put it onto boil. Getting the mugs off the sink, that Sarah had washed earlier, he put coffee and sugar into both mugs, turning he got the milk out of the fridge.

He put the milk down on the sideboard and leaned into the counter to wait as the kettle boiled, his thoughts drifting to the woman downstairs. He'd known Sarah, he mused, for 2 years now. Almost the entire time he'd been working here at the St James Sanitarium. Softly he exhaled, 'Yes," He thought to himself, "Sarah was a wonderful woman.'

Not only because of her time spent here, and what she did, it was the fact that from almost his first day, she had made the effort to make him feel welcome. Not many of the other staff, treated him as anything more than a security guard. Sarah treated him as if he were a friend. Someone she could take to, if she so wished to. Kithan smiled.

"Click."

The kettle boiled, the sound of it switching off causing Kithan to jolt out of his thoughts. His hand moving to lift the kettle and fill both mugs, putting the kettle down again, he picked up the milk adding it to put mugs, before closing the carton, and heading over to the fridge, he opened the door, and placed the milk on the shelf. Turning he walked back, stirred both mugs, and put the teaspoon into the sink. Picking up both mugs, he looked about slightly, and left the staff room, making his way down the corridor to the elevator.

He pushed the button with an experienced elbow, and waited.

"Ting."

The elevator doors opened, and Kithan moved inside slowly, he hit the button with his elbow for the 4th floor, and leaned his side against the right wall of the elevator, his eyes watching the floor number tick down.

"Ting."

The elevator doors opened, and Kithan leaned away from the wall, and moved out of the elevator, as he walked down the corridor, he looked in on Jordy and Annabel, they were still quietly talking, both sitting on her bed. He smiled, Annabel seemed comforted by Jordy's presence for now, he'd make sure to tell Sarah, when he got back to the Nurse's station. He continued down the corridor, moving into the Nurse's station.

Sarah raised her head and slightly turned, looking over her shoulder, a smile lightly brushing her lips as she saw that it was only Kithan, with the coffee. He grinned and moved towards her, putting down her mug, he pulled out the chair he'd sat on earlier and sat down, holding is coffee mug in one hand. He voice soft as he spoke, "Still hard at it Sarah?"

She nodded, putting her silver pen down, her hand gently moving to pick up the coffee mug, lightly pausing to blow air over the hot coffee, before she took a sip, she tilted her head looking to him. His voice soft as he continued, "Annabel and Jordy are still getting along fine, incase you were wondering, and their still talking."

Sarah softly nodded, even as she drank more of her coffee from the mug. "I might go and check on them, once I've finished this coffee;" She paused even as she lifted her eyes upwards to the clock on the wall, catching the time, she after returning her eyes to Kithan's face continued, "After all it is getting slowly closer to dawn, and they should get their sleep."

She lifted a hand covering her mouth, even as softly she yawned, Kithan shook his head slightly attempting to fight off a yawn, before he slowly gave in and yawned also. Sarah gave him a sheepish grin as she drank more of her coffee, her voice soft, "Sorry."

Kithan waved her words away with a motion of his hand, "It's all right Sarah." He seemed to pause looking up to the time, before he allowed his eyes to drift back to hers, continuing softly, "After this, I should go check about this place."

He lifted his mug of coffee and drained it slowly. Lowering it he spoke softly to her, as he stood, "Once I' done, I'll grab us another coffee, maybe something from the staff room to nibble on?"

Sarah nodded slowly, holding out a hand for his coffee mug, her voice soft, "I'll take them back, once I've spoken to Annabel and Jordy about the fact they should try to sleep. Then though they both might protest."

Kithan handed his mug over, and turned leaving, his footsteps quiet down the corridor, as he moved down it, heading for the elevator, to move down to the 3rd floor. He hit the button for the elevator doors to open, and stood patiently waiting.

"Ting."

The doors opened, and Kithan walked inside, he turned leaning into the right wall of the elevator, and hit the button for the 3rd floor. He waited, eyes watching the number's tick down the single floor he requested.

"Ting."

The doors opened, and he slowly after a moment walked out, hand moving to rest near his right thigh, as he walked first up the corridor, checking on the patients as he went. All he saw though was room after room, dark the silhouette of people sleeping on their beds. It seemed to him that everyone was were they should be for now, he reached the end of the corridor, and turned about, his well trained eyes catching the barest glimpse of a figure right down the other end of the corridor, turning about the corner, out of his line of sight.

Softly he swore, and almost without a sight coming from his feet, he began jogging down the corridor, heading for firstly the nurse's station. Moments later he reached there, noticing that Conney Miles wasn't seated at her usual chair. Silently in his mind, he hoped that it had been Conney's figure he'd seen, though until he got around the corner and could hopefully make out the person, he wasn't going to get his hopes up.