A Mole in the House Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jayjayk
jayjayk
145 Followers

"At this time all we can say is that he is stable. His vitals are strong. We've cleaned and sutured all the superficial wounds and set his leg. We don't expect that there will be any permanent scaring or repercussions from those injuries. Now we just have to bide our time and wait for the swelling in his brain to subside. I will not sugarcoat the situation. It's always tricky when it comes to brain injuries. His status will remain critical until he is off the ventilator. More importantly is that we have no idea if there was any damage to his brain and/or the extent. He could wake up and be the same Aaron Mitchell you knew...but then again he could wake up and not know anyone or anything...and of course, the worst case scenario is that he might never wake up...only time will tell..."

Lawrence was dead silent as he listened to the doctor drone on. At first he wanted to laugh out loud at the joke - 'he might not be the same Aaron Mitchell' - no when he wakes up he will be Steve Dunbar, my Steve, but he remained silent.

He had said his prayers, already made promises that he intended to keep and now he knew that Steve's life was in God's hands. When the doctor was done he remained silent and simply walked past him into the room and took his place at Steve's side. It didn't matter the outcome - the good, the bad or the unknown, Lawrence had already made the decision that he would never leave Steve's side again.

~*~

Winston let Lawrence have his time with Steve and took the opportunity to walk down the hallway to the room the President was occupying. No one said a word to him as he walked past the Secret Service detail and into President Robert Dawson's room without bothering to knock. He was not only one of the most respected Senators the government ever had but he was also a personal friend and came and went from the White House without anyone ever giving him a second glance.

"How are you Robert?" It was a question that Winston asked as a pleasantry to open the dialogue between them because frankly he didn't give a fuck how the President was. The bastard didn't even have the compassion to have one of his Secret Service men wheel him down to Aaron/Steve's room to check on how he was doing. He took a seat in a chair that was strategically placed to the President's good side. The only time Winston ever called him 'Sir' or 'Mr. President' was when other people were around, when it was just the two of them he was just Robert and, during better days, on the rare occasion he called him 'Bert', a nickname Winston had given him during their Senate days together. Did he care that his voice was colder than an ice box? With the revelations he had learned regarding the President over the past forty-eight hours he just didn't give a shit anymore.

"Oh I'm fine...it could have been a lot worse...and of course the alternative I don't want to consider...right now I'm just waiting for my personal physician to come by and release me...what about you? How's the Mitchell boy? By the way I've made sure his name shows up on the Secret Service rooster."

Winston nodded a silent thanks but didn't answer the question how 'the Mitchell boy' was doing. He didn't want to give anyone, especially the President, information on Aaron/Steve's condition. He remained silent for a few seconds before he leaned into Robert and whispered, "I know everything."

"Excuse me?" The President asked sitting up in the bed to listen more carefully.

Still in a whisper Winston's voice, sounding eerily quiet went on. "I'm sure that you aren't aware that two days ago Aaron successfully entered the Royal Suite and was able to obtain Abdullah's briefcase which contain his laptop and several jump drives. The data we were able to retrieve contained not only his manifesto, but the detailed plans for the bombing and the part you were to play in it..." Winston let his voice drift appreciating the drama he was creating, as his words sank into the President.

"I'm also betting that you didn't know that you were meant to die in the bomb blast. We have detailed data on that as well. Your death would have been the ultimate achievement Abdullah needed to crown himself King of Islam. He was positive that your death would allow him to unify Muslims all over world against the injustice that was carried out against you."

"No." The President had gone six shades of white and seemed to be gasping for the precious air around him.

"Yes Robert. I have the proof. Not only that Robert...I have documented proof that you and Abdullah have been in an alliance with each other for years - even before you became President, so I'm guessing he was instrumental in getting you elected. I also know you secretly accepted Islam years ago and that you traded top level government secrets, which is a treasonable offense, for a place of honor at Abdullah's side. What you didn't know is that Abdullah would have told you anything to get you to do the work he wanted done and you had no hopes of being at his side. You were expendable just like he killed his best friend, a man that he called brother, in Damascus and the six men in Georgetown. And this morning we found the assistant director of the FBI dead and suspect he was on Abdullah's payroll as well."

Winston watched the President go paler at his words. "I think you should also know that Abdullah was a man that took pride in his conquests...all of his conquests. Years ago, when you first confided to me some of your 'sexual tastes' I told you that if you wanted to be President you would have to put those thoughts behind you. I guess like everything between us my words fell on deaf ears and now you fucking got yourself caught." Taking his cell phone out, he walked over to the side of the bed and showed Robert a series of photos of Robert and Abdullah in various stages of sexual thralls.

"Personally my favorites are these," Winston clicked on a series of pictures of Abdullah shooting his load across Robert's face, cum dripping down his face, and finally into his mouth. "These are screen captures of hours of videos Abdullah took of the two of you. It was his insurance policy that you would do whatever he wanted you to."

Winston let silence blanket the room as he sat back down in the chair.

"So what now? Are you going to use the information to get me to do what you want?" Winston could tell the President knew there was no hope he could ever get out of this situation.

"Only if I have to Robert. Unlike you I am a proud, law-abiding American and I don't want our government to come crashing down because an asshole like you thought they were some type of god. So instead I'm going to make a suggestion...and I think you know when I suggest something it means that this is the only way out for you. Today your doctor is going to release you from the hospital and you and your lovely wife Irene will return to the White House. Twenty-four hours from now you are going to address the nation at which time you will resign from being President. I don't care what excuse you use but you will resign or so help me I will bring the wrath of the press, the Senate and the US Government down on you." Winston's voice never rose above a whisper and the calmness about him was more frightening to the President than anything else.

Winston stood to leave but turned back on last time, "Oh and if you think you can outsmart me you are sadly mistaken. I have created an insurance policy if any harm should come to me, my love ones or anyone connected with me - this includes Aaron Mitchell and any employee that works for the agency. To guarantee everyone's safety I have posted all of the documentation we recovered from Abdullah's laptop to a secured site that we have linked to every news agency in the world and over five thousand email addresses. Garrett Simonson, who you know is quite the computer genius, has devised a program that requires me, at a specific time every day, to enter a password. The password changes daily. So even if you can locate the site and attempt to hack into it the password is never the same and is generated on a totally other system that you will never be able to locate. If the code is not received within thirty minutes of the time it's due the website will become active and dump over ten gigabytes of information to the news agencies and those five thousand email address - which includes every Senator, House member, Supreme Court Judge, and every Head of State throughout the world...and your family, your wife, your parents and your kids. Included in the all that data is the 'relationship' you shared with Abdullah, especially the graphic videos of you sucking his cock or him fucking your lily white ass! Robert, I think you know me well enough to know that I have a twitchy finger and if I even suspect that you are going to try something I will simply release the information. So now the preverbal ball is your court and the choice is yours what you choose to do."

Without saying another word Winston walked out of the room. That would be the last time he would ever have to speak with the duplicitous traitor that he once considered a friend and whom he supported to be President.

~*~

Steve looked so small helpless in the hospital bed with wires and plugs running every which way. The constant click-hiss-click-hiss of the ventilator as it gave its lifesaving breaths and the beeping of the heart monitor letting him know Steve was still alive was beginning to wear on him. As much as he disliked the noise he would put up with it for as long as needed. He preferred it to the alternative.

Holding Steve's hand Lawrence was clinging to the last words Steve had spoken to Winston. "Will you tell Lawrence I tried my hardest...?" Steve knew all along that the chances of him getting out of this mess alive were slim but knowing that he had wanted to find a way to make it work to be with him, that he tried every alternative comforted Lawrence.

"Promise me you'll keep Lawrence safe for me..." That was the last thing Steve had said and at that moment Lawrence knew that Steve had given up hope that they would be together again. On the one hand Lawrence was so proud that Aaron/Steve would be willing to give his life to fight for what he felt was right but on the other hand if he had just walked away they could have spent the rest of their life together and for just a little while Lawrence wanted to cling to that selfishness and hold just a little bitter resentment for Steve's ultimate sacrifice.

"You have to fight Steve...you have to give us a chance...please..."

Twenty-four hours later the President of the United States announced that due to an underlying medical condition that was discovered at the time of his accident he could no longer carry out his duties as President. In front of a shocked nation the Vice President was sworn in while Robert Dawson quietly tucked his tail between his legs and left office and subsequently the country.

At the same time the President announced his resignation the neurologist at Jackson Memorial Hospital reported a modicum of reduced swelling and they were optimistic.

Four hours after that Aaron threw a blood clot and flat-lined.

It took fifteen minutes to revive him and a trip back to the OR to stop the bleeding and the earlier optimism faltered considerably. Any blood flow loss to the brain at a delicate time like this wasn't good. The doctor began to prepare Winston and Lawrence for worst.

One day seemed to fade into the next and soon they had been sitting at Steve's bedside for five days. Each MRI showed the swelling was reducing, but not enough to take him off the ventilator. While doctor's diligently monitored Steve's progress, Winston monitored the fallout from Prince Abdullah's death. The reports coming in from Winston's contacts around the world weren't good as each report stated the same fact - a price had been fixed on 'Aaron Mitchell's' head.

Over breakfast on the fifth day Winston finally brought the subject of Steve's safety up to Lawrence. He explained in quick detail what was happening - none of which surprised Lawrence.

"I've taken all security precautions here at the hospital and have hired private duty round the clock nursing staff. I've also brought in an outisde neurologist and the hospital has agreed that he can take over Steve's case. They will be the only ones to care for Steve. In addition outside of Steve's door are two armed guards with another two patrolling the hallways 24/7 and another two stationed outside the hospital. No one will be allowed in the room but a select few people and they will only know him as Aaron Mitchell. We are lucky that the few pictures of Aaron Mitchell that were taken the day of the bombing he was still disguised as Secret Service agent Dan Steely..." Winston laughed at Steve's dark humor of the name he chose.

"There are no pictures of Aaron Mitchell that have ever been published and anyone that searches the Secret Service data base won't find him or Dan Steely listed."

Lawrence simply shook his head. His emotions had gone numb as he kept vigil over his lover. "You know that I will do everything within my power to keep him...and all of us safe."

"I know uncle...and I appreciate everything you have done...I might not say it but I really do..."

Before they could continue their conversation the doctor entered the room interrupting them. He actually had a rare smile on his face that quickly spread to both Winston and Lawrence.

"The latest MRI shows Aaron's brain activity is as normal as it's going to be. There has been no swelling for a full twenty-four hours so we have made the decision to take him off the ventilator this afternoon." Lawrence let out a deep sigh of relief.

"Please know that taking him off the ventilator doesn't mean that he will wake up instantaneously. He will wake up when he's ready...it could be an hour or a year from now. We just have no way of knowing. Unfortunately the brain is such a complex instrument and medical technology hasn't made enough advances to know exactly what is in store for him."

"I'll take anything I can get doc...just knowing that there is a chance is enough for me." Lawrence said enthusiastically.

At three that afternoon the doctor and the nursing team Winston had hired removed the ventilator and stopped the drugs that were keeping him in a coma. He was breathing on his own and the sight of him without all the hardware that was keeping him alive brought tears to both Lawrence and Winston's eyes.

"I know that you'll wake up soon and everything is going to be okay..." Lawrence spoke in hushed tones so Winston or the nurse couldn't hear him, "this is just a bump in the road for us..."

~*~

So many sensations flooded my body the moment I became aware.

The first thing, and the biggest thing, I remembered was feeling the pain in my head. The pain was so overwhelming I wanted to grab my head and scream out loud for it to stop but nothing in my body seemed to be working. I couldn't even master the simplest task of opening my eyes. I wondered if I was in that space where the body and soul separated. Was I dead or was I alive or someplace in between?

It was all so confusing.

I knew my name. Steve Dunbar. I was still sure about that. But I had no idea why I was lying in the dark unable to move. What brought me to this place? I wanted to search back in my memories to remember but the pain in my head was massive. It felt like someone had a vise grip attached to my head and every few seconds tightened it just a little more. I had images of my head exploding and brain matter splattering all over the place...but then that would mean I was dead...and I wasn't, was I?

I drift and I am lost again. I can hear voices but I can't make out what they are saying. Are they speaking English? Everything is garbled. The ringing in my ears is almost deafening. I can feel something or maybe someone touching my body. I want so badly to open my eyes but they just won't open. I feel something warm touching me...holding my hand...it's soothing and I find myself relaxing and drifting again...

Finally!

I am able to open my eyes. I blink a few times trying to focus. My head hurts so fucking much...I think everything in my body hurts but my head hurts the most. I can't lift my arms, I can't move my legs. I try to turn my head and the pain is excruciating. I'm focusing...the lights in the room are low but I can make out someone sitting in a chair by the bed.

I try to open my mouth but it's like it's glued shut. I blink again trying to focus harder and I can see the shape in the chair clearer...oh my god...its Lawrence, he's here...his eyes are shut...I want to wake him up, I want to feel him closer to me...I've missed him so much it's only now that I realize just how much. I just stare at him. I made it back to him and I want him to know I'm here.

Time ticks by...I concentrate all my energies to waking Lawrence up, I want to hear his voice...but more that that I want to feel him next to me. I try to clear my throat and a tiny garbled sound escapes. Is it enough to wake him up? I do it again and then I see it...his eyes open slowly. He is staring at me...and I'm staring at him...I can see the corner of his mouth turn up in a smile...He leans forward and presses his head against my hand...

"Thank you...thank you for coming back to me..." he whispers. He raises his head and there are tears in his eyes...no...don't cry...I'm here - I want to say to him but I can't.

The doctor is talking to me.

He tells me things I don't understand because the pain in my head and the ringing in my ears are so bad I can't concentrate. I only want to feel Lawrence next to me. I don't care about the pain when he's with me.

Knowing I can't communicate any other way he tells me to blink once for yes and twice for no. He asked if I'm in pain, I blink once. He measures the pain through eyes blinks - one for a lot, two for manageable, three for just a little. I only have to blink once to let the doctor know something I suspect he already knew. The doctor tells the nurse the combination of pain medication he wants to help me out. I don't want it but I know I need it.

"Within the next few days, as you gain more use of your body we'll be able to determine if there is any permanent damage...do you remember what happened?" I blink my eyes twice, no I don't know. "That is normal. Again as time goes on you could regain some memory of what happened. I'm sure that Lawrence can fill in some of the gaps." My eyes soften and drift over to Lawrence. I want so much to be able to talk to him, even if I could say a word as simple as 'Hi' to him.

"The main things you need to do are rest and not try to rush yourself too much. The medication we've given you is going to make you tired. Try and sleep for a little while, there will be plenty of time to catch up later."

Doing as he said, really without choice, I close my eyes and once again I'm gone.

I have absolutely no measure of time. When I open my eyes again I don't know if I've been out for hours or days. Lawrence is sitting next to the bed holding my hand smiling at me.

"Hi." He whispers. I have movement in my arm and lift it to his face. He kisses my hand and closes his eyes savoring my touch. "I am so happy you are back."

I open my mouth and an unrecognizable croaking noise comes out. I try again and am finally able to say the word I've wanted to say for weeks. "Love." I say and touch him.

"I love you too..." He leans over and touches his lips to mine in a brief chaste kiss that I don't want to end.

Over the next few days I slowly regain use of my body and with the medication the pain is bearable and I am able to take stock of everything around me. Once the power to speak returns I am full of questions that both Lawrence and to my surprise, 'the old man' himself, Winston Harper painstakingly answer for me.

jayjayk
jayjayk
145 Followers