A Most Graceful Life Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Stephen hugged her tight. "Grace, it almost sounds like you're giving up on me," his voice cracked.

She kissed his cheek and then pulled back. "Loving you was the best part of my life, Stephen. Every morning and every night, I said thank you to our Creator for letting you find my portal. My one and true soulmate." Her hand reached up to caress his cheek. "There aren't enough words to describe how much I love you. I will always be yours, forever."

As Stephen hugged her tight, her hand slipped in to caress her stomach. She decided against telling him about the baby. He would never let her go if he knew she was pregnant. She cast a tear for the child they would never have, and steeled her resolve forward.

"I'm going to give myself up, and wait in that house until the wardens arrive," she announced, turning towards the door. "Please don't follow me," she sniffed, breaking down in tears. "It would be too hard to say goodbye to you again."

The lump in Stephen's throat grew larger, as they both cried freely at the prospect of losing each other. There had to be another way. He didn't risk his life for no reason, just to be stuck in the same starting place as before.

He found himself growing angry. At himself, at Hanif, at his miserable life. He had two months of bliss with Grace, and then it threatened to turn back to ash once more. He didn't get it. Why did the Order have to be against magic? And why did they have to be able to feel when it was performed? It made the thought of getting away so much harder.

Wait.

"Wait, Grace," Stephen protested, running after her. She had made it to the hallway before his hand grabbed hers, stopping her fully. She looked at him with vulnerable eyes.

"It's the magic," he whispered, watching the confusion within her blue gaze.

"What do you mean?" She sniffled.

"They can track you by the magic. By the wishes. By your presence, right? You don't even have to be making wishes but they can still feel the magic, right?"

"Yeah, but what does that have to do with anyt-"

"I can set you free, Grace. You'd no longer be a genie, and no longer be magical. With no ability to form wishes, and no magical beacon to draw in the wardens, we could be free of them. We wouldn't have to run, or hide, or anything! We could truly be free."

Grace blinked, her eyes filling with pain once more, "Stephen, we've been through this. No one knows what happens with freedom. It could be almost anything. Yes, there's a chance it might still be me here on the other side, but what if my memories of my time as your genie are wiped away? What if my memories of you are wiped away? What if our love was lost? What if I'm not even 'Grace' at all anymore? What if I become 'Atiya once more? One moment you have me, and then the next you have a dying fourteen year old Arabic girl in your hallway. It's too risky."

Stephen grimaced, "It's the only shot we have. Our only shot to keep you alive."

"It's an unknown outcome," she argued, before looking up to him with determination in her eyes. "Let me do this, Stephen. It's the only way I can protect you and your family from them. I don't care the cost. I'll gladly sacrifice myself for you."

Stephen shook his head from side to side, forcefully. Despite the incredible risk of freeing her, and despite all the negative consequences thatcould happen, he wanted Grace to have a shot at life, instead of certain death. And while he feared losing her love more than anything in the world, he would rather Grace be alive and happy, instead of dying at the hands of those ruthless assholes.

"No, Grace. I won't let you. I'm still your master, and I forbid you from sacrificing yourself," Stephen said with grit in his voice. She stopped moving, halting in her tracks.

"Please don't do this," she whispered.

He stepped forward, and kissed her passionately. Her arms wrapped around his neck and for a moment, all else was forgotten. As their lips pulled away, Stephen said, "I can't live without you. I can't let you be destroyed. As much as it hurts me to think about losing your love, you deserve life. You deserve to be free."

"Grace," Stephen began, giving her one last caress, "I wish for you to have your freedom!"

For the first few moments, nothing happened. They looked at each other visibly confused, wondering if freeing her could have been so easy.

But then, a glimmering white light began to glow from every portion of Grace's skin. It spread quickly throughout her entire body, growing in intensity after every passing moment. Grace looked down at the light emerging from her, a look of fear fixed onto her face as her entire body turned white. Stephen finally had to look away as she began to shine brighter than his eyes could stand. As his gaze turned to the floor, a great heat overtook him from the direction she had been standing.

Suddenly, Stephen heard a very audible bang, knocking him to the floor, and rendering him practically comatose. The last thing he could see before his eyes shut was the empty hallway where Grace had previously stood.

Closing his eyes finally, Stephen gave in to the darkness.