A New Beginning Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Fliccy_sub
Fliccy_sub
631 Followers

Niles shrugged.

"We have more ships and as far as I can see we have killed more of them than they have of us... keep at it and maybe try some of your old pirate tricks? Humm???" answered Niles.

What Niles said was true, they had killed more of the company's fleet. But Ketterick was a man who valued his crews and knew that given time. Even his best captains would start thinking of retreat.

Pirates didn't fight battles where they lost too many men to make the prize worth taking. The vast majority of his captains were old friends who had crewed his small pirate fleet back in the day.

"Bull Horn attack... launch Dragonfly's, Crawler bombs to be deployed." He sent out to his fleet. It was a risky move as the Company seemed able to flex their formation. However... if he was right this would stretch them and enable the swift and deadly DF's to manoeuvre inside the company fleet and hopefully deploy the very effective crawler bombs.

Twenty DF's flew out wide on either side as the smaller destroyers made horns from his main fleet. Like a bulls head with large horns. The fleet manoeuvred into position. The extended line taking damage but starting to encircle the smaller company fleet.

*******

Admiral Jensen was feeling the wear on his ships. The reports weren't good. Gatling rounds were close to bottoming out and he was still facing close to two hundred ships. He was down to nearly one hundred and they were stretched almost to breaking point as they moved into an arc to hit and defend against the line that was now starting to encircle them.

It was something he didn't want to do. But he contacted one of the only people he knew had the experience to help.

Jack Walker commanded the other Dreadnought in the fleet and had over fifty years' experience as a captain. He had fought at Cassius five and had more prize money than he knew what to do with. A big man with a barrel chest and an easy laugh, Jack Walker was the kind of man men and women followed willingly.

"Bit busy Jensen." He grinned at the hologram of Jensen as the Dreadnought weathered another volley of cannon fire from two dreadnoughts that were targeting him.

"I need idea's Walker... we're going to get smashed if we don't rethink." Jensen growled back.

Walker already knew they were going to lose and nodded.

"Yep.. we are pretty fucked." He agreed with a smile.

Jensen gripped the armrests of his chair and glared at Walker's smiling image.

"Then UNFUCK us.. I know you have something up your sleeve." He said in annoyance.

Walker shrugged.

"I do... but you won't like it... I'll need fleet command." He answered as he hid his worry for Delacroix.

Jensen knew that he personally didn't have what it would take. He wasn't a fool or the kind of man to lose an entire fleet just because of vanity. Politically ambitious as he was. He wasn't going to sacrifice all these people for his own gain.

"Transferring command to you now..." he took a deep breath and saluted Walker. "The fleet is yours... good luck." He said and waited for Walker to come up with something that would at least save some of his now former command.

Jack Walker saluted back smartly and then issued his orders. He understood it was suicide for one of the dreadnoughts. He just didn't know for sure which one.

"All ships... concentrate fire on the Dreadnought I mark on my mark" He commanded the fleet.

It was a bold move that would destroy one of the dreadnoughts that the enemy had. It would also be swiftly copied and either he or Jensen would come under massive fire once it was done.

"Damaged vessels that can't FTL close in.. I'm sorry but you will have to hold the line... FTL capable ships jump to the coordinates' I'm sending now." He continued on as he tapped into the records what he was doing and taking full responsibility for what was a retreat that would hopefully save enough of the fleet to join up with the companies remaining ships near to E3.

*****

Rawlings winced as he walked onto the bridge.

The pain in his shoulder was only dimly subdued by the painkillers he had taken. He wanted to be alert, so had only taken enough to remove the edge.

"Sit Rep." he said as he took the chair Wilks got out of with some relief.

"We are to hold the line Sir." Wilks told him and quickly brought him up to speed with sparse words.

Rawlings checked the readings. The 'Lilith' could FTL but would remain with the 'Jean Paul'. However all the others that could FTL would jump and he would be facing the enemy with under twenty other ships.

He turned to Miller.

"Get your Marines onto shuttles. If we are going down I want boarding teams on the fly to take advantage of anything that they can get to... Tactical, I want all the old Hellcat missiles in their tubes.. full spread." He growled out.

Tactical Officer Alison Hicks tapped in the commands and the old disused torpedo tubes were filled with Hellcat torps that hadn't seen action against an opposing battle fleet in over twenty years.

Marine Captain Miller coughed as this was happening.

"Most of my men are dead Sir... the quarters on deck six took a direct hit." He told Rawlings.

Rawlings grimaced. He had heard the reports about the battle damage but hadn't thought about that fact.

"What have you got?" he asked.

"The remaining men on roving patrol... And the PG's in the brig." He admitted.

"Get them together NOW.. we are all fucking dead anyway... lets go out like it fucking matters." Rawlings growled.

***

Miller gathered his men as he went to the brig. By the time he got there he had sixty two Marines.

"Choi... what the hell?" Miller exclaimed as he saw every PG well-armed in full battle armour and Choi's loyal group dressed for war.

Choi was still in his chosen chair and smiled.

"I'm guessing someone need's Marines?" he answered Miller with a quirk of his eyebrow. Miller's men shifted nervously. They had expected naked PG's waiting to be released.

Miller looked around and dismissed the unconscious security team that was in a cell. He DID need marines and it seemed Choi had exactly what he needed.

"Yeah.. suicide mission... you game?" he said with a shrug.

"Tell it." Choi requested as Jess eyed Miller.

Miller outlined the situation quickly and finished with a grin.

"We go out Marines... ALL of us." He said.

Conner snorted.

"Fuck THAT."

Choi waved him down as he looked at Jessica. In a way he already knew what she would say.

Jessica saluted smartly.

"Sir yes SIR... we're in." She said clearly.

The PG's and ex-recon team followed her lead. All of them snapping to attention and giving the marine salute.

Choi grimaced.

"Jess.. we don't have to." He said softly.

She looked down at him and caressed his face lovingly. Her eyes twinkled and something told him she wasn't acting impulsively.

"Yeah.. we kinda DO." She said gently.

"Okay Cap... lets load EM UP." He growled out and the Marines shouldered their gear efficiently.

****

Karina gasped as the group of Marine men and women filed onto the hanger deck. She looked for Conner and briefly closed her eyes with a prayer of thanks as she spotted him.

Conner ran to her on quick feet.

"All good?" he asked as she glared at him.

"Yes... what the fuck are you getting me into?" she hissed under her breath.

Conner lifted her hand and kissed it gently.

"I want you." He said intensely.

Her glare weakened a bit and she wanted to slap him while at the same time wanted to kiss him.

"Both are ready... you DICK... now tell me what's going ON." She said while hoping he was serious about wanting her.

"Well.. call me crazy... but we are going to attack a really big ship and take it." He laughed out boyishly.

Kais blinked a few times as she tried to understand.

"I'm so going to call you crazy... and fucking KILL you if you get me killed." She said angrily with a hint of affection.

Conner lent down and kissed her cheek.

"I'll look forward to it." He said with a grin.

Kais rolled her eyes. Still. She couldn't help the feeling that welled up inside her when he kissed her cheek.

Blushing slightly she pulled away.

"I'll pilot the Drop ship." She told him as the Marines split up and boarded the DF, Conner's old DS and two other shuttles.

"Good call.. my baby is solid." He said with a laugh. He knew she was a good pilot in her own right and could have moved from being a tech anytime.

Karina grabbed him by the collar as the last few Marines boarded.

"I'll FTL to Shellan if it gets too bad." She told him.

Conner shook his head.

"Head for Kellos... If it all goes wrong that's were we are going." He told her.

"Kellos?.. it's a Reacher outpost." Kais said in surprise.

"Trust me... please." Conner said and then grabbed her. Pushing his lips to hers and kissing her fiercely. She gasped in surprise at first and then grabbed handfuls of his hair, pulling him down into a stronger kiss.

"I'll be there." She promised breathlessly as they broke off.

Conner looked over his shoulder as Jess called him.

"Coming." He shouted to Jess before turning back to Kais and caressing her face.

"I love you." He said softly.

It was almost too soon to say those words. Katarina gazed into his eyes and nodded, it felt right even if it was too soon.

"I love you too." She whispered.

"Kellos."

She nodded.

"Kellos." She affirmed.

******

Jack Walker sent a quick message to Delacroix on his personal channel. He told her he loved her and that whatever happened next he wanted her to live.

That was seconds before he sent the order to target the Dreadnought he thought had sustained the most damage.

Delacroix saw the message and swore.

"Rig for Harm." She ordered as she took her ship out of position to protect her lovers Dreadnought.

***

Ketterick slammed his fist onto his arm rest as the company fleet launched everything it had at one Dreadnought. The massive ship listed as it was hit multiple times.

"Target the lead Dreadnought." He shouted.

The Company's fleet had bent backwards as it dealt with the encircling horns. Walkers dreadnought was slightly out of position. A place he had deliberately chosen.

As Ketterick's fleet concentrated fire on Walkers ship the FTL capable ships of the company fleet winked into FTL and disappeared.

Too late. Ketterick realised what he had fallen for.

"Nooo." He screamed as a large amount of the ships he had hoped to defeat got away.

***

The DF's and Hornets Ketterick had deployed flew in fast. Only a few Hornets flew to oppose them as most had landed back on the ships that would leave as soon as the enemy targeted one of the dreadnoughts in retaliation.

"FIRE Hellcats." Rawlings ordered as he saw the incoming fighter bombers.

The old Hellcat torpedos launched and flew out to meet the incoming hornets and deadly DF's. Hellcats might have been outdated but they featured something Lancers didn't have. An exploding multifaceted warhead that threw out numerous projectiles.

The enemy pilots made the mistake of thinking they were seeing Lancers that would be targeted on the Fleet and expected the torpedoes to pass them by.

The main fleet winked out of sight as they went to FTL. The fighter pilots now had less targets and adjusted course. Closer to the incoming torpedoes and the now much smaller fleet.

"Detonate." Rawlings growled out as his plan worked and the old Hellcats made it close enough to the incoming fighters. The Hellcats detonated and multiple warheads fanned out in ever expanding and overlapping cones. The incoming fighters had no place to go and no time to evade as the deadly warheads smashed into the small one man fighters and larger Dragonflies.

They made a mess of the incoming Hornets and Df's. Mangling more than half and outright destroying the rest.

"Excellent tactic's Captain." Complemented Walker over the commlink. Glad to see the flank that Rawlings was almost singlehandedly holding was now clear of hornets and the fast Dragonflies.

"I'm not done yet." Rawlings answered back grimly. He knew that those like him that had been left behind wouldn't last much longer.

***

General Niles was livid.

"Ketterick. Leave fifty ships to deal with the damaged ones and get after the main fleet." Niles shouted angrily.

Ketterick was loath to do that. He had a bad feeling that whoever was in command of the still standing dreadnought was a dangerous opponent and said as much. Miraculously the Dreadnought had weathered the massed fire from every ship under Ketterick's command. Much of the incoming fire being destroyed by the overlapping Gatling cover of the companies tight working formation. More still kept at bay by a single battlecruiser that had dipped in front of the dreadnought at the last minute and taken a great deal of the damage intended for Walkers ship. It too still remained intact but badly damaged.

Abigale Niles looked between her brother and the adamant Ketterick.

"We don't have time for this." She said with a smile and nodded at Natalia while subtly using a personal sign language that utilised her facial expressions, body posture and fast yet subtle movements of her fingers.

Her personal PG moved like lighting. A long slim blade appeared in her hand as she lunged forward almost gracefully and slide the blade into Ketterick's back at the precise spot between his ribcage that let the blade pierce his heart with effortless ease.

Blood flecked his spittle as Ketterick dropped to his knees and was dead before he fully hit the floor.

"Abigale.. really?" Niles scolded her but smirked.

"He failed.. let's get on with it." She said nonchalantly with a wave of her hand.

Her brother nodded and took command personally. He wasn't a trained Captain but he was a shrewd and smart man.

"You." He pointed at Ketterick's second in command.

The man gulped and stopped staring at the dead body of a man he had respected but not liked.

"Yes Sir?"

"Take over and say Ketterick has ... fallen ill. Do well and I'll make you an admiral and pay you what I was paying Ketterick." Niles told him with hard eyes.

Benjamin Cooper had been Abigale's lover for over five years and he saluted smartly without looking at the beautiful woman who had always promised he would be a powerful man one day if he stayed loyal to her. She had just kept her word and he was ready to keep his. Not only because he was ambitious but because he was more than a bit in love with her.

"I'm your man Sir." He said before turning and issuing the commands and needed excuses to a fleet that was mostly loyal to Ketterick. He knew it didn't matter. Every single Captain had a personal PG as a gift from Abigale. A deadly gift if she wished it so.

Few objected to the change in orders. They smelt blood now that they only faced twenty ships and the rest had fled.

Cooper was an ex-cadet from the Holy Company and was in a way a better choice. He chose good solid men and ships to remain behind to deal with the few remaining company ships, fifty two in all. Ordering them to take minimal risks and just pound what was left until the last ship was destroyed.

The rest entered the coordinates for Shellan Four. The one place they all knew the Holy Company fleet would have to FTL to before heading for E3.

******

Com chatter was hectic between the twenty remaining ships. Walker was annoyed with Delacroix but couldn't help smiling when her hologram appeared before him.

"Trouble with my FTL so I thought it best to lend you a hand." She said as she saluted. A cheeky grin on her face.

Walker shook his head but smiled back at the woman who had decided to die by his side rather than leave him.

"My ships fucked... how's yours?" he said instead of berating her.

"About the same." She answered truthfully.

After the destruction of the incoming fighters and Dragonflies there had been an unexpected lull. Walker was using that and the remaining ships converged into a defensive wall that once again used their superior training to create a small but flexible phalanx.

Walker switched to a closed link with his lover.

"I love you.. I'm sorry we are going to die today." He told her softly.

Her eyes softened and her smile became affectionate.

"I love you too." She replied. A single tear rolled down her cheek because she couldn't physically touch him and say it to his face.

"Jack... lets make sure we take a few with us." She added as she straightened up and became the well reputed Captain that had captured his heart once more. She was well over fifty but looked thirty. Her eyes now blazed with the fire that had always made him wonder who was actually in charge.

"Yes my love we will." He promised and shook off the thought of dying as he switched back to an open channel. Determined to find a way to save the one thing he loved in this shitty universe that was controlled by a company he despised.

"All ships. Listen up... we are all damaged and feeling like shit.. but we are the best.. I see fifty two ships against us.. fucking good odds if you ask me. Stick to your training. Stick with me and lets nail those bastards to the fucking wall." He said clearly.

Rawlings smiled to himself. Jack Walker was talking like his old self.

"Okay Jack. Lets see if you like this." He said into his comms. The link private as he outlined his half mad plan.

"Shit me Jerry.. " Walker exclaimed as he listened and began to laugh at the insanity of it all.

***

Cpt Valarie Franks had been left in charge by Cooper and General Niles. The orders were to minimise risk and just bombard the small fleet into space dust.

She checked her readouts and projections. What they told her was optimistic. Every Company ship was damaged. Many had lost parts of their Gatling cover and a couple all of it. Reduced to Lancers only and the help of limited Hornets. The Dreadnought was a limping wreck with partial shielding and down to only two main cannons and an almost pitiful Gatling cover.

"Spread out and commence fire." She ordered. Sure of success. They had more Hornets and were in far better shape.

Her Battle Cruisers and Destroyers fanned out. Creating multiple targets that had good Hornet and Gatling cover. Anything launched at them individually would now be spread wide while her ships could concentrate fire on what was a highly weakened defence.

The phalanx held out for a bit and then one ship listed and dropped away. Immediately to be targeted by numerous Lancers. Over half of Valarie's command fired at the seemingly injured ship.

Valarie watched avidly. Sure she was about to see the first of many such victories.

***

The 'Jean-Paul' faked injury as it killed two engines and drifted out of position. The remaining port side Gatling's had been removed and jury-rigged to the starboard side. The crew had worked frantically hard to achieve this small miracle and prayed the hastily improvised gun ports and wiring would work.

Connor and Karina sat in their seats nervously. They stared down the lit launch tubes along with two other pilots waiting the order to fly into a mad win or die mission. Jessica was melded with Connor and supressing the headache they were both feeling from melding too soon.

Three drop ships and one Dragonfly waited anxiously. Onboard the last of the Marines and now well trained PG's. PG's that were all fitted with the ZT360 chip and as capable as any Marine.

***

Valarie Franks blinked twice. She couldn't quite believe what she was seeing.

Gatling's blazed all over the ship she was thinking about to die. Every single Lancer was taken out. The ship powered up fully and moved off. Launching a wide spread of torpedoes from tubes that looked like old Hellcat launchers.

Fliccy_sub
Fliccy_sub
631 Followers