A Paladin's Journey Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The Heralds broke the unwritten truce with the Elves when they marched on the Emerin and took Elvish lives! How long until the Dwarves are in their sights?" Elaina's emerald eyes blazed as she glared up at Burin. The king slumped back in his throne and rested his head in the palm of one hand, as if he had a headache.

"What does it matter?" He mumbled finally. "If the Titans are truly waking, then what will be achieved by marching north? I would be sending my people to their graves."

Elaine looked at Aran. The set of her jaw and her fierce gaze said; "Do something, or I will."

Slowly, but deliberately, Aran walked forward and began to ascend the dais. "You are weary, Burin," he said firmly and loudly enough for all to hear. "And you grieve, both for your sister and your people. But all is not lost. The night is always darkest before the dawn, yet they will grow darker still before the light comes again." He reached the top step and stopped before the throne. Burin hadn't moved since sitting down.

"The Eastern Gates must be opened, Burin," Aran continued, though this time in a much softer tone, for Burin's ears alone. "And we must rally the Noroth to our cause."

Burin started at that, and stared at Aran incredulously. "How can you know about the Noroth? They are a carefully guarded secret! Is there a traitor among my people, to add to my long list of problems?"

"No," Aran replied. "I sensed them earlier today. I know they are there. I have told no one except for Elaina."

Burin sighed. "You may convince me yet, Paladin, if that is what you truly are." His eyes looked past Aran briefly. "What did you do to my people?"

"I gave them something you have not been providing," Aran said quietly. "Hope."

Burin's gaze found Aran's again, and he stood. The top of his head came no higher than Aran's chin, but he resumed some of his regal bearing, and it made him seem much taller. "The gates cannot be opened, Sunblade," he began in a whisper. "Your people are the reason they were built!"

Aran frowned. "Why? To hide the Noroth from the rest of Ekistair? Surely that's beyond excessive."

Burin grunted. "You don't know, do you?"

"Know what?"

"It's not the Noroth that necessitate the gates," the Dwarf said in ominous tones. "It's from what they protect us."

Whatever Burin was talking about, Aran had no knowledge of it coming through his vala, and he hadn't sensed anything on the other side of the mountains worth noting, other than the Giants. "Show me."

***

END OF CHAPTER FIFTEEN

***