A Perilous Journey Ch. 14

Story Info
Chapter 14: Return to the Scarlet Queen.
2k words
4.77
6.2k
2

Part 15 of the 16 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 04/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Novella 2 ~

A Perilous Journey

~ 14 ~

Return to the Scarlet Queen

The first thing Eryca noticed when she awoke besides the gentle shaking was the feel of cool steel against her cheek. Eryca slowly turned her head to look up into the soft gray eyes of Astinos. The balding priest was looking down at her with great concern.

"Lady Tandris, are you alright? Can you move?"

"Yes, I think so Paragon, although I feel as if the stone floor has drained the warmth from me."

It was then that she turned and realized why she had felt the crispness of cold metal against the tender warmth of her cheek. She had been lying against Brion's armor; even now his right arm was still wrapped about her waist holding her close. Eryca looked at his face, his eyes were closed and the hue seemed to have drained from his normally tanned face. Then she saw the blood that had dried in the rings of his chainmail and at the edges of his armor plates.

Eryca's breast heaved a great sob and she slumped down against him. She clutched at his bare hand, usually so warm against her, it was cold. Then she felt the priests' arms around her trying to lift her to her feet. She resisted, not wanting to leave Brion's side. Eryca felt another pair of arms and recognized the red robes of Aizantius; she was unable to fight off both men.

"My Lady please" the priest said to her "he is not beyond help but we must start our work."

Looking over Eryca saw the woman in dark robes and chainmail who had chained her down earlier. Marcella was kneeling on Brion's left side examining him.

"You bitch! Get away from him!" She screamed not wanting Marcella to touch Brion. She heard Astinos' soft voice reassuring her.

"Lady Tandris please; Marcella is a priestess of Rao and only wants to help. Please let her." Nodding, Eryca slumped against Aizantius and allowed him to lead her away from her beloved and over to a small fire that had been built nearby.

"Master Aizantius," she said as she sat near the fire "how is he? Please tell me?"

"He has lost a lot of blood and his life-beat is weak but he is strong. Lord Brion and I have fought together many times and he was sorely tested during his quest to earn his knighthood." Aizantius placed his arm around the young woman hoping that the warmth of his words would bolster her heart. "I also know that his love and desire for you will sustain him through the most trying challenges. He will survive my Lady, I have no such doubts."

Eryca smiled as she looked up into the comforting brown eyes of the bearded mage. She saw in his deep set eyes that his words carried only truth.

"Thank you, that means so much to me." Eryca turned and looked over her shoulder where she watched the two healers casting their prayers over Brion and the gold and silver lights that accompanied their efforts.

* * *

After Aizantius had convinced her to eat a little the exhaustion from the entire ordeal overwhelmed Eryca and after lying on a blanket, she fell into a deep sleep. She awoke to find Brion sitting next to her, his hands gently stroking her hair as he watched her sleep. The priests had removed the armor from his upper body, applied salve to his wounds and expertly bandaged him. Brion was able to move and told her that as soon as the others returned they would be departing for the ship.

"I am so sorry Brion," she said "I should have stayed in Karolyn's stateroom. If I had done so we would not be here now and you would not be hurt as such." Eryca hung her head as tears began to form in her eyes. Brion gently placed both hands on her cheeks and raised her gaze to meet his. He smiled sweetly at Eryca and wiped away her tears.

"My honeysuckle," he said. His voice was soft, barely above a whisper. "I love your fighting spirit." He brushed her coppery curls out of her eyes as he spoke to her. "Did you know that the honeysuckle plant is especially hardy and grows in the some of the harshest regions of the Flanaess?"

Eryca looked at him confused by his words, he smiled and continued.

"Imagine such a beautiful and delicate flower supported by such strong roots that it can survive almost anywhere. That is how I see you. My love, you endured so much and yet you did not wilt, you flourished."

"You are everything to me; your death would have been the death of me. I took no care for my safety, only making sure you had been saved. I would not hesitate to do it again." He smiled weakly at her.

Eryca smiled for a brief moment before Brion pulled her into a deep and passionate kiss. One hand cups the nape of her neck while the other encircled her waist tightly. As her arms wrapped around his neck Eryca felt that the constant almost unnatural heat of his body had returned. Melting into each other their tongues found each as their kiss deepened and they tasted each other as if they had been parted for years. Even after their kiss gradually broke Brion continued to hold her tightly to his chest as tears ran down his cheeks.

* * *

The others returned shortly afterward, they had managed to find a small amount of treasure in the rooms nearest the central chamber. Aizantius had collected the lich's enchanted mask feeling it deserved closer study, much to the wizard's regret though neither the lich's staff nor his outer robes had survived the battle.

With Eryca's reluctant help and many reprimands from Astinos, Brion put his armor back on, stating that he wanted to be ready in case something else should arise. Then following Meredith and Marcella they took the quickest way out of the pyramid and back out into the courtyard above. As the exited the citadel the sun was just beginning to dawn on a new day and the air seemed lighter.

They all noticed that Lyzandred's death must have released the shades from their eternal torment because they no longer sensed their presence. It was then that the two sisters explained they had come here in search of their brother who had disappeared along with his fellow adventurers. They discovered that he had died and when the sisters sought vengeance against the lich, they had fallen to his power. When Lord Brion inquired as to their plans they said that they would head north to their home in Seltaren.

The company then parted ways with the sisters taking more than their fair share of the spoils to aid them on their way. The three rescuers and their charge found their horses where they had left them some time before, grazing on some nearby grass. After redistributing their gear and mounting up the four began to head east towards the Nesser River and the ship that awaited them there.

* * *

The journey back through the Abbor-Alz hills took them three days, they proceeded slowly and cautiously watching out for any other humanoid tribes that may have called the highlands home. Eryca rode in front of Brion on Armageddon wrapped in his heavy travelling cloak and she tended his bandages as often. Eventually they reached the cool environs of the Celadon Forest where they rode slowly through the towering oaks and elms of the forest watching carefully for ambushes.

Before long the foursome could smell the fresh water of the river and through the trees they spotted the tall masts of the Scarlet Queen awaiting them. As they approached sailors tending the rigging and sails saw them and hailed the captain. Captain Nerelas ran out of his cabin and upon seeing the companions sent his first-mate below for the other passengers. By the time the four had dismounted William, Barnard and the others had come up from their cabins. Eryca rushed up the gangplank and threw her arms around her grandfather who had completely recovered from his wounds.

Then Eryca found herself being doted on by her dear friend Karolyn, who burst into tears when she saw her younger friend. After many tearful hugs, Eryca's handmaiden hustled her below decks to see that she was cleaned up and properly attired. Brion led Armageddon up the gangplank and handed him off to Matthew who was pleased to see his master return. He turned to see the Earl approach him and grasp him in a firm hug.

"Thank you Brion for bringing Eryca back to me." the older man paused as his emotions began to get the better of him. "She is my only grandchild and I could not bear to lose her."

"You are most welcome Knight Commander." Brion said as he bowed his head to the older man. "I feel the same as you do, she is most precious to me and I will always protect her."

The two men hugged again before Lord Barnard moved in to congratulate his son. The father and son hugged and patted each other on the back as they exchanged words of welcome. Before long the horses were rubbed down and stabled below as the crew of the 'Queen worked to get her underway.

* * *

As night gradually began to fall and the Scarlet Queen was making her way lazily down the Nesser the tall trees of the Celadon began to grow sparse as the wetlands of the Gnatmarsh appeared off the port bow. Off the starboard side of the ship the dry foothills of the Abbor-Alz crept closer to the river's edge. Most of the ships passengers were already fast asleep, weary from the events of the past week. However, in one of the staterooms a quiet conversation was being held.

"Are you absolutely sure child?" asked William Moffitt as he studied his granddaughter the worry obvious on his face. "You weren't under any spell or delusion?"

Eryca had been staring into the fire in the grate as she told William of her captivity with the lich. Now, however, she looked up from the dancing flames and directly into his piercing blue eyes.

"No Grandfather, I was under no dweomer when she told me, of that I am sure. Her body has been bewitched but her face and voice remain the same. Also she goes by the name of Deloraa now but I have no doubts that my mother is...alive."

Eryca walked over and lowered herself into a chair next to William.

"She wanted me to know that it was her!" she said, her voice rising. "And she mocked the pain of my loss! As if she is hates the woman I have become while she has sunk further into darkness." Eryca leaned forward in her seat and covered her face with her hands as the tears began to flow. Karolyn moved closer and put an arm around her dear friend and mistress while William placed a reassuring hand on Eryca's shoulder.

"How could she do this to me?" Eryca asked out loud and for all of his wisdom William had no answer. For years he had assumed his only child had destroyed herself in search of dark power and now it seemed that Donna had survived her brush with death. Not only had she survived, she had returned as a demonic witch-priestess of the Hooded Order. William rose from his seat and knelt before Eryca and placed a finger under her chin.

"Get some rest Eryca Dawn. You've had an exhausting ordeal and as disturbing as this news is there is nothing that we can do about it right now." William leaned forward and kissed Eryca on the top of her head as he stood. "Karolyn if you would? Please, make sure she rests."

"Consider it done my Lord." Karolyn squeezed Eryca's shoulders in a hug before she began busying herself with her duties. "Let's get you into a night slip dear..."

William made his way to the stateroom door to the sounds of Karolyn fussing over her mistress. Normally, that would have made him smile but now he had other issues weighing heavily on his mind.