A Perilous Journey Ch. 15

Story Info
Epilogue.
1.4k words
4.74
6.5k
2

Part 16 of the 16 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 04/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Novella 2 ~

A Perilous Journey

~ Epilogue ~

A hidden citadel somewhere in the Abbor-Alz highlands bordering the Bright Desert (477 CY)

The witch-priestess's black robes rustled about her ankles as she walked with easy steps through the corridor of the ancient structure. The glass globes that hung from the ceiling were beginning to fade; soon their mystical blue light would be completely extinguished. She had come here on orders to procure knowledge of a magikal artifact no matter the cost from the citadels' owner. However, the price that the owner demanded had cost him his immortal life and now she was free to help herself to the pyramid's contents. Today, if it was day outside, the sorceress had been in the library not researching but plundering.

Deloraa arrived at the heavy door that marked the entrance to her chambers and pushed the door open. With the death of Lyzandred she was alone now. The dark priestess once again entered her chambers, with several ancient codices she had discovered in the stacks of the lich's library. As she set the books on the work table her creation, the homunculus, fluttered down from an upper shelf. Deloraa smiled and stroked the creatures' head before turning to her shelves of supplies. The demoness did not need a book for the spell she was about to cast, Deloraa knew it all too well.

Deloraa could not help but smile to herself as she began to gather what she needed. Nine small red candles made from the blood of a beheaded man, chalk made from the ground teeth of an ogre and the skull she had retrieved. Using the chalk she drew the symbol that she needed on the black marble pillar that stood in the center of her chamber. Next she placed the candles around the pillar at the correct ley points. After checking that her preparations were exact she picked up the skull and gingerly placed it atop the pillar in the center of the magikal diagram.

Stepping back from the pillar Deloraa raised her hands and began to speak the spell aloud.

"Antïquå cràniûm dë iñ Mörtuus, díc ut ënim mí!"

Nothing happened right away but that was typical, so Deloraa stepped forward and placed her elbows on the edge of the pillar folded her hands, placed her chin on them and waited. Soon the skull began to shake ever so slightly then suddenly the upper section lifted away from the jawbone and rolled from left to right as if yawning! As Deloraa watched two faint red dots of light appeared, one in each empty eye socket. In minutes the dots grew to encompass the majority of the round holes. The dots flickered several times as if blinking, Deloraa smiled in spite of herself.

"Hello...Lyzandred."

The Kingdom of Ahlissa, the capital city of Prymp (477 CY)

Mirror Bay, called so for its' deep blue reflective water, was a deep natural harbor that connected to Relmor Bay by way of a narrow channel. Monolithic steel sea-gates were built into the city walls at both ends of the channel to protect the harbor from potential invaders. The harbor itself was teeming with the usual early Moonday trade activity. Vessels of all shapes and sizes from far off lands flew unknown colors as they came and went through the massive gates. Dock workers off loaded goods from all across the Flanaess alongside fishermen and merchants who haggled over prices.

Amidst all of this organized chaos stood a contingent of the city guard who did their best to keep back a crowd of on-lookers from the edge of the docks. News of their young Lords' bride to be had spread like wildfire through the capital city, as well as, the nearby counties and now a throng of people had gathered in an attempt to get a glimpse of her as the royal family returned from their extended trip to the Shield Lands.

The two sets of massive sea-gates that secured the bay were left open allowing an unobstructed view from where the crowd and soldiers were standing at the base of the Dock Watchtower all the way out to the lighthouse and its accompanying fortress that sat on a small island just past the outer sea-gate. It was the Captain of the Guard, Shawn Buchman who was the first to spot the royal brig Scarlet Queen as she turned to the starboard and began to clear the outer sea-gate. As the gruff captain called his platoon to attention their pikes snapped to, the sable banners emblazoned with the silver griffon that adorned the pikes fluttered in the morning breeze.

* * *

On the deck of the Scarlet Queen her passengers gathered on the foredeck. Kira and Matthew grasped the ships' railing and stared in wide eyed wonderment as the Scarlett Queen passed through the first pair of towering sea-gates. The gates themselves were made of steel and were adorned with bas-reliefs commemorating the final battle of the young nation's revolution. Taking a knee between the two children Lord Brion explained to them the enormous gear system that retracted the gates within the city wall where it came to the edge of the harbor channel.

As the sleek brig entered the channel they were hailed by several outgoing merchant vessels flying colors of several different shipping companies. The royal passengers waved in return and after the ships had passed they returned their gaze forward. Across the harbor they could see the Dock Watchtower that monitored and defended the harbor and beyond that rising like the tip of some great spear was the fortress tower the Lord's Keep. The keep's central tower rose to 900' in height and was surrounded by eight smaller minarets however the lower watchtowers and curtain wall were hidden from view by the cityscape.

Having returned to the side of his future bride Brion placed his arm around her slender waist and pulled her close.

"Welcome to your new home my love. What do you think?" he asked Eryca watching for her reaction.

"Oh Brion, it's beautiful!" she exclaimed as she took in the view of Prymp's skyline. "I've never seen anything like it before."

Lord Brion smiled pleased with her reaction, he had been concerned that his homeland would unnerve Eryca being that it was so different from where she had grown up but again she had surprised him.

Barking orders to his crew Captain Nerelas slowed the ship as it glided past the second pair of sea-gates and into the harbor proper. The Scarlet Queen knifed through the azure water of Mirror Bay as her crew began to furl her sails and prepare to bring her alongside her home anchorage. As the ship drew nearer to the wharf the royal passengers could see the contingent of the city guard and the crowd of on-lookers who craned their necks to be the first to get a look at their Lord's betrothed.

As the 'Queen came alongside the wharf the crew threw several large lines to the dock workers so that she could be secured to the pier. The city guards remained at attention as Captain Buchman walked over to the edge of the gangplank that had lifted into place to allow the 'Queens passengers to disembark. Lord Barnard was the first to walk down the gangplank followed closely by William the Earl. Each was greeted with and returned a smart salute initiated by Captain Buchman. The Lord Brion proceeded down the walkway with Lady Eryca close behind him. Upon reaching the captain the two men exchanged salutes and then grasped each other in an embrace as only warriors who have fought together can share.

"Welcome home my Lord." said the captain as he released his old friend Lord Brion.

"Thank you old friend, it feels good to be home after so many months abroad." replied the young Lord as he slapped his friend on the back. Then Brion stepped aside and turned toward Eryca.

"And this friend is Lady Eryca Dawn Tandris of Walworth."

Captain Buchman immediately snapped his heels and upon taking Eryca's outstretched hand lightly kissed her knuckles in the time honored tradition.

"My Lady" he said "the rumors of your beauty fall short and do you no justice whatsoever."

"Thank you good captain, I appreciate your kind words." replied the Lady as she moved to her betrothed and took his arm.

Captain Shawn Buchman then turned and waved his arm toward the city and the keep in the distance.

"My Lady, if I may, let me be the first to welcome you to the Kingdom of Ahlissa."