A Promise Kept

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,360 Followers

I guess I took a few licks, because next day I had the bruises to show for it, but I didn't feel them at the time, and they was nothing compared to what Billy took. He outweighed me, maybe twenty pounds or so, but Paddy had taught me how to hit, and hit hard. I take no satisfaction in saying this, but I was young then, and I destroyed Esdon. I broke his nose, and four of his ribs, and I was only using my fists, but I'd taken a moment to slip on some thin leather gloves I had, that Paddy gave me, and my knuckles weren't split. Janneau and Sullivan had to half-carry the sobbing wreck of him away.

Paddy came over to me. "Nice work, Jack, very nice. Glad to see you ain't forgot the trainin' I gave you, but watch your back from now, Jack. Bullies like him don't forget."

"Thanks for the warning, Paddy, but I guess I'll get fired tomorrow."

He frowned. "I don't think the boys will cotton to that."

"Ask them not to do anything, Paddy. I was on the point of quittin' anyhow. I have to keep a promise I made, to a lady back home."

"I'll pass the word, Jack, sure." He grinned. "Lady, huh? Good lookin'?"

I smiled. "Beautiful, Paddy, beautiful." I wondered if the beauty I'd left behind would still be there, and I prayed that she would, that Pa hadn't destroyed her. In sleepless moments at night, her image would come to me and my promise would haunt me. Well, no longer, I was going back, back to ask her to come away with me. I was ready to keep my promise.

"Good luck, Jack."

The summons I was expecting came next morning, after I'd served breakfast, after the boys had gone into the woods for the day's work. Joe Nelson, the foreman, took me aside, looking worried.

"Old man Caslow wants to see you, Jack." He grimaced, hesitating.

"It's okay, Joe, I've been expectin' this."

He nodded. "As foreman, I shouldn't say this, but you did a long overdue job on Billy. It's a damned shame if Caslow fires you."

I shrugged. "I was on the point of quittin' anyway, Joe. The office?"

Joe nodded. "Yeah." He held his hand out. I shook it, and he nodded "Good luck, Jack."

"Thanks, Joe." I nodded, turned away, and made my way to Caslow's office, and knocked on the door.

"Come in." Caslow's familiar, harsh tone. He was behind his desk, Billy standing to the side. Billy glared at me, and I was hard put not to grin at the sight of his face.

"Now you get your reward, you bastard," he hissed.

"You wanted to see me, boss?" I said to Caslow, ignoring Billy.

"To fire you." Billy sneered.

"Billy, shut your damn' fool mouth and get out!" said Caslow. "Out!" he yelled, as Billy hesitated, and Esdon scuttled out, glaring at me as he went. Caslow turned to me, face impassive.

"You did that?" he asked, nodding in the direction of the departing Billy. "The destruction job?" I'd expected anger, but his calm had taken me by surprise, like he didn't really care about Billy. I think there was surprise in him, too, 'cause like I said, Billy outweighed me by maybe twenty pounds.

"I guess," I said, shrugging.

The broad smile was a big surprise. "Long overdue and if you ever tell anyone I said that, I'll have you hunted down. Understand, Jack?" He glared at me.

"Yes, sir," I said, 'cept I was wondering just when, or if, I was ever going to start understanding folk like him. Fighting, too, not to show the relief I felt that he wasn't maybe going to have me arrested. I didn't doubt he had the power.

Caslow frowned. "I'm going to have to let you go, Jack. Not because I want to, I don't, but because I'm over a barrel. Much as Billy deserved a good licking, his mama is my major investor, and until I get the lumber sold I can't tell her the truth, or fire her fool son."

"It's okay, Mr. Caslow. I was near enough ready to quit anyway."

He reached into his drawer and took out an envelope. "Here's the money you got due. I've added a twenty dollar bonus. The boys ate better with you cooking than with any other cook I've hired."

"Ever thought of hirin' a woman to cook, Mr. Caslow? And mebbe a girl to help her? There's widows around would jump at the chance."

He stared at me for a moment then shook his head. "Never did, Jack. But now you've give me the idea, just maybe." He stood, and held out his hand. "Good luck, Jack."

"Thank you." I paused, having just spotted the calendar on the wall. "Mr. Caslow, what's today's date?"

He looked at me in surprise. "You don't know?"

I shrugged, with a rueful smile. "Not much cause to take notice, out here."

He laughed. "I guess not. Today is June fifth."

"Fifth?"

He nodded. "Fifth, Jack."

"Well, dang me. It was my eighteenth birthday yesterday!"

He laughed. "Youngest cook I ever had." He reached into his pocket and took out a gold eagle, flipped it so that I caught it. "Happy birthday for yesterday, Jack."

I laughed. "Thank you, sir. Um, Mr. Caslow?"

"Yes?"

"The railroad is through to town now, ain't it?"

He nodded. "Yes, it is. Somewhere to go?"

"I have to go back east a ways, yes. A promise to keep."

"Good luck, Jack. Watch out for Billy."

"I will, sir. I will." I went off to pack my things, feeling his eyes on my back as I left his office.

* * * * *


Chapter Four

The supply wagon was standing on the trail when I walked around the corner about an hour later. Paddy grinned down at me.

"Figured he'd let you go. Figured you could use a ride. Climb aboard, Jack." I swung my pack into the wagon and climbed to the seat next to Paddy.

"Thanks. I didn't relish the walk."

He clicked to the mules, released the brake, and we were off. "Got any plans, Jack?"

"Heading back east a ways. I have a promise to keep."

He nodded. "Catchin' the train?"

"I reckon."

"Don't run until day after tomorrow." He looked across at me. "Got somewhere to stay tonight and tomorrow?"

I shook my head. "No. Any suggestions?"

He nodded. "Yes, I do. Hannah Gilroy. My cousin's widow, lives just outside town. Takes the occasional roomer, but only by recommendation. I'll put in a word for you."

"Thanks, Paddy. Good of you."

"Call it a thank-you for Billy."

I laughed. "Thank you, Paddy, for the training."

"You were a good student, Jack. I could make you into a fighter."

"Not me, Paddy. Not my kind of life. I want somethin' a little more peaceful. Wife maybe. Then kids."

There was a silence for a while. I looked across at Paddy, but wherever he was, it wasn't with me.

He sighed. "I had those, Jack. Wife, twin girls. They died."

There was something in his voice that told me, 'don't ask', so I just squeezed his arm. He looked across, gave a wry smile then pointed forward.

"See the little cabin, just off the trail? Pigs and chickens in the yard?"

"Yeah?"

"Hannah's place. We'll be there in about a half hour." He looked across. "It's about a fifteen minute walk from there to the railroad depot."

I nodded. "Thanks, Paddy." He didn't say anything, just gave me a half-smile and nodded.

Hannah Gilroy was a surprise. Probably in her middle to late twenties, slender, a little careworn. Blond hair, blue eyes, and a shape that made me take a deep breath and pray that my body wouldn't embarrass me. She was lovely. I don't think she recognized the wagon at first, and she only came out onto the porch, staying close to the door.

"Wise woman," said Paddy softly, so that only I could hear, and then only just. "There'll be a Greener just inside the door. Hannah doesn't take chances any more." We were closer now, and I could see when she recognized Paddy by the sudden smile on her face. Almost solemn before, the smile lit her face and she came out into the yard to greet us.

"Patrick Gilroy, as I live and breathe. Sure, and it's been too long. It's good to see you again. Step down, coffee's hot."

"Good to see you, too, Hannah. Can't stay long, gotta be back up to the camp by tonight."

"You'll still have the time for a coffee, though?"

"Aye."

"Come on in, then." She turned to me then, looking me up and down. "Who's yer friend, Pat?"

"This is Jack Riley, Hannah."

I dragged my hat off, and managed to give the impression I hadn't really been staring at her, not really. "Ma'am."

"Yer a friend of Patrick's?"

"He is that, Hannah," said Paddy.

"Then the name's Hannah to you, Jack. Mrs. Gilroy to everyone else."

I nodded, and managed a smile. "Hannah."

"Come on inside, the both of you. Like I said, the coffee's hot." She led us through to the kitchen, and indicated a couple of chairs at a table. "Sit yourselves down."

The coffee was good. Hot, strong enough to float horseshoes. Or maybe dissolve them. Hannah added a drop of water to hers.

"Hannah, me darlin'," said Paddy. "Jack here is catchin' the train east, but it doesn't leave here until day after tomorrow. Can you put him up for a couple of nights?"

"Two nights, is it?"

"Yes, ma'am. Hannah."

"Cost ya a dollar."

"Yes, ma'am. Now?" I reached into my pocket, but she laughed and shook her head.

"Later will be fine."

"It's very good of you, Hannah."

"You'll be company at dinner, Jack Riley. It gets lonely with just pigs and chickens to talk to. Patrick says you're a good man, and if Patrick says it, you are."

"Yes, ma'am." When did Paddy say that, I wondered?

"Got me some news about Billy Esdon, Hannah," said Paddy, and her face went stiff.

"What about him?" I swear her voice was colder than ice in January.

"Picked on Jack here, beat him. I gave Jack some lessons in fighting, dirty as well as clean. Esdon picked on Jack again." Paddy shook his head, a smile lurking. "Esdon's mistake. Jack destroyed him. As cool a fight as I've ever seen." He laughed. "And clean, too. Jack didn't need the dirty tricks."

Hannah arched her brows then turned to me, her smile hesitant. "You destroyed him?"

I shrugged, embarrassed. "I beat him, yes, but he got the last laugh. He got me fired."

"Only because he's the boss's nephew!" said Paddy. "I don't think Old Man Caslow thinks a lot of Billy, truth be told." Paddy grinned. "Tell the truth, Jack. You were planning to quit, anyway."

I gave them a wry smile, shrugging. "I guess."

"If you beat Billy Esdon, Jack," said Hannah, her voice soft, warm. "I owe you."

I looked at her in surprise. "You owe me nothing."

She and Paddy exchanged looks, and Hannah nodded. Paddy turned to me. "Esdon tried to rape Hannah."

The instant rage I felt startled me. "If I'd known that I might have killed him," I said, understanding Paddy's comment about Hannah 'not takin' chances'. I thought I knew why, now.

Paddy shook his head. "Not you, Jack. You'll do enough to stop a man, but you won't kill." He paused. "Maybe in defense of a loved one, but not otherwise, I don't think."

"If he comes near me again, I might not be so controlled," I said.

Hannah smiled. "I'll settle for what you did, Jack. If you hurt him, I owe you."

I gave her a half smile. "I broke his nose, and four of his ribs," I said. "That do?"

She gave me a level look. "That will do very nicely." She stood. "Have you time for ham and eggs, Patrick?"

Paddy fished his big ol' pocket watch out, but shook his head. "Sorry, Hannah, no. I waited to give Jack a ride down, so I'm running a tad late. I'm going to have to get a hustle on to get the supplies and get back by dark."

Hannah nodded. "Stop by on your way back, and I'll have some sandwiches ready. You can eat on the move."

"Thanks, Hannah. I'll do that. Jack? Good luck, son."

"Thanks, Paddy. Give my regards to the others, will you? They was all gone when I left this mornin'."

"Will do, Jack. You take care now, you hear?"

"I'll do that. You take care of yourself, too."

I stood with Hannah on the porch, waving to Paddy as he drove away. I glanced down, smiling to myself. Yes, Greener beside the door. Hannah caught my eye as I looked up, and smiled. "A woman alone takes no chances, Jack."

"Wise."

"Come on, ham and eggs is waitin'."

She could cook, could Hannah Gilroy. I sat and watched her, no wasted motion. She caught the smile I was trying' to hide, and stopped, hands on hips. "What is it, Jack Riley? You've been nearly laughin' at me since I started on the cookin'."

I shook my head. "Sorry, Hannah. Um, did Paddy tell you what I did at the camp?"

She shook her head, busy cutting thick slices of ham and dropping them in the skillet. "No, he never did. So, tell me, what did you do?"

"I was the cook. This will be the first meal I ate that I didn't cook myself for over a year."

Hannah stared at me for a moment, and then laughed. "I'd better make sure it's good then."

"Hey, I wasn't that good!"

"Paddy told me they finally had a good cook up there, but he never told me the name." She paused, smiling at me, and I felt myself stiffen, just from the loveliness of her. "I guess he was talkin' about you?"

I shrugged. "Reckon so."

Whatever talents I have as a cook, they didn't match Hannah's. Ham and eggs is simple, in theory, but gettin' the ham cooked just so, and the eggs so that the yolk is just starting to set, and both together, that takes skill. Skill that seemed natural to Hannah, but skill that I was still working on. Finished, she slid a big plate-full in front of me, took a smaller one for herself, and we set to. Neither of us seemed to be one for talking' when we was eatin', so it was a silent meal, but it was a comfortable silence.

Finished, Hannah took the plates and put them on the bench.

"Coffee?"

"Please, Hannah, I'd love some."

Two coffees poured, she handed me one. "Bring it through to the parlor, Jack. It's more comfortable."

A little uncomfortable in my rough clothes, I followed her, but relaxed when I saw the homemade furniture. I gestured. "Your husband's work?"

She nodded. "Yes, Danny was a carpenter. A good man. I miss him."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned him."

"No, that's alright, Jack. It's been nearly three years now. I managed to keep this place going, and selling bacon and ham, and a few eggs, well, I make enough to live on. No luxuries, but I get by." She smiled. "But what about you, Jack? Tell me about Jack Riley. I know where you got those bruises, that damned Billy Esdon, but that scar on your cheek? Your broken nose? Billy didn't do those."

I laughed, short, bitter. "My Pa."

"Your father? Surely not?" She looked upset.

I hadn't intended telling her much, but Hannah Gilroy was a good listener and I found myself talking to her about me, about how Ma had taught me to read and write, and to cook, how Pa had turned mean and brutal, about Ma dying. I found myself telling her about Mary, and my promise to go back for her, and how, finally, after near on two years, I was on my way. I told her about working my way to Oregon, about my work in the logging camps. I told her about how miserable I was when Billy Esdon beat the tar out of me; about how good Paddy had made me feel about myself. I told her about the satisfaction I got from whipping Esdon, and I told her that I hadn't got the pleasure I'd anticipated from beating him. Satisfaction, yes, for a job well done, but not pleasure.

Hannah nodded when I finished. "Patrick was right, Jack. You haven't got it in you to be mean and cruel. I think you can be hard, Jack, but not mean. And talkin' of Patrick, I'd better be away and make the sandwich I promised him, for he'll not be long in coming back."

"Can I help?"

She laughed. "No, Jack, you just sit yourself there and rest. I'll not be long gettin' Patrick's sandwich and then ye can give me a hand by feeding the pigs while I see if there are any eggs to collect."

"If you're sure?"

"Aye, that I am, Jack Riley. You just relax."

The next thing I knew it was almost dusk. I woke with a start, disoriented, finding myself sprawled on Hannah's couch, my boots off, a blanket over me. I groaned. Oh, no, I was going to help her with the pigs! I kicked my feet into my boots and went looking' for her. She was in the kitchen, flour on her hands, even some on her face, busy making what looked like apple pie. She smiled when she saw me.

"I think you were more tired than you realized, Jack Riley."

I shrugged, spreading my hands helplessly. "I'm sorry, Hannah, I was going to help you."

She shook her head, laughing. "No matter. 'Tis no more'n a five or ten minute job in any case.

"Has Paddy been?"

"Aye, and long gone, too. Do you like roast chicken, Jack?"

I nodded. "Yes, I do."

"Good. And potatoes, roasted in the fat?"

"Aye, those too."

"Well, get yourself washed, Jack, for it will be no more than ten minutes. Pump's out back, and ye'll find a tin bowl and a towel just inside the door."

It was full dark when we'd finished eating, an oil lamp lit to hold back the night. I insisted on helping with cleaning the pans and dishes, and we took our coffees into the parlor, Hannah beside me on the couch.

"We'll chat for a while, Jack, until our food's digested a little, but then it's me for my bed, for I've to be up early. Ye can sit for a while, if ye want."

I shook my head. "No, an early night won't hurt me, either. I always had to be first up at the camp, so as to get the breakfasts, so I'm used to early to bed, early to rise."

Hannah nodded. "I'll show ye to your room in a wee while. Tell me more about that trip to Oregon. How old were ye? Seventeen?"

"Only sixteen when I started."

"So how old are ye now?"

"Eighteen." I laughed. "Yesterday!"

"Yesterday was your birthday?"

I nodded. "Aye. I didn't even realize, until I asked Old Man Caslow what date it was. He gave me a gold eagle. I think Caslow's a good man, but I don't say the same about his nephew. I don't think Caslow likes Billy very much."

"Why does he keep him on, then?"

I shrugged, remembering I'd promised Caslow not to say anything. "Family."

Hannah nodded. "Aye, family. We choose our friends, but not our family."

We chatted for a while, easy with each other. Hannah Gilroy was easy to like, easy to chat with, easy to look at, too, and I had to will myself not to just moon over her like a lovesick calf. A beautiful woman, but not for the likes of me, I figured. I knew that, one day, I'd have a woman of my own, but heck, I was only eighteen. There was time, time enough, but it in any case it was Mary that was in my mind. I guess lusting after my step-mama wasn't right, and I tried to keep that from my mind. But I'd made a promise to her, and I was going to keep it.

Eventually, Hannah stood. "Come on, Jack, I'll show you your room."

The room was dominated by the bed, with its big bright comforter spread across it. Hannah gestured. "I sometimes have couples staying. They need the big bed. You'll have plenty of room, Jack."

Aye, I would, I thought, but I thought too that I'd rather have less space, and Hannah Gilroy beside me in it. "It's fine, Hannah. Thank you for letting me stay."

"You're welcome, Jack. I'll see you in the morning. Get up when you're ready, for I'll probably be out seeing to the pigs and chickens. Goodnight, Jack Riley."

"Goodnight, Hannah, and thank you again."

She smiled and went out, closing the door behind her. She'd left me a candle and I undressed quickly. I didn't want to take the chance that my clothes might dirty the bedding, so I stripped naked, gave myself a quick allover wash from the jug and bowl on the dresser, blew out the candle and slipped between the crisp, fresh sheets. I lay for a while, just staring into the darkness, trying to imagine what Hannah Gilroy might look like naked. She looked lovely clothed, and I didn't doubt for a moment that she'd be equally lovely naked, without a stitch of clothing, and that blond hair loose about her shoulders. It felt a little wrong, but my mind moved from Hannah to Mary, thinking of her naked, too, and the thought of them both was lovely to me. Aye, and exciting me, too.

Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,360 Followers