A Rainy Night in Paris Ch. 10

Story Info
It was Samantha's first trip to Paris.
1.4k words
4.64
11.7k
1
0

Part 10 of the 13 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/31/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Alex, darling, where have you been hiding yourself?" Amanda gushed, flinging herself into his arms and trying to kiss him.

Alex turned his head, avoiding her lips and worked to disentangling himself from her incoming hug as much as he could. She smelled of cigarette smoke and bad perfume, which he deplored. It always made him wonder how bad her sense of smell had become. He disliked her on several levels. He did not smoke and could not stand to be around those who did for extended periods of time. Amanda, further, had made no secret of her desire for him and her open willingness to do anything for him. She was so thin as to make Kat Moss look healthy and Samantha positively curvy by comparison and he was not a fan of that look. She had wanted to be a model but lacked the general look that the current crop all seemed to share. Her eyes were small, almost beady, her cheek bones just a little too sharp and overall he did not find her photogenic. An opinion shared by a number of photographers he had learned both in alcohol fueled rants from Amanda as well as from talking to the photographers themselves. Finally, it was her personality that just turned him off. Whether it was the artificial openness of her nature or an innate desire to make sure he still had his wallet after every meeting with her, it was enough to just make her unattractive and not one of his favorite people.

Michelle, on the other hand was a joy to hug and she, unlike her coworker, did not smoke and was as revolted by it as he was. When they had first met, they had enjoyed several evenings together, walked along the Seine and generally did all the things that lovers did in Paris, except make love. They had been climbing, cycling, riding, seen plays and tried a number of both good and bad restaurants as their mutual schedules allowed but there was no real chemistry between them. Good friends were all they would ever be and both of them were quite comfortable with that arrangement. Michelle was tall, standing almost six feet in the low heels which she favored. Most of her length was in her body rather than in her legs which made it difficult to find blouses that were long enough for her. Fortunately she was a bit of a health nut and her abdomen was flat and sexy; a navel ring or dangle added to the overall allure she projected when she was not running errands and scheduling meetings for Amanda or Monique.

Monique had mentioned several times in his hearing that Michelle would make the perfect buyer for her London office, but Michelle did not want to go back to England for reasons that she would not go into, so she worked in Paris and did the things that were expected of her and had fun when she could get out of the office. Alex, for his part kept an eye on her for any signs of boredom. Not because Monique asked him to, but because Monique could not afford to lose her and he would make sure that she got what she needed. So far she was happy with her job.

It is difficult to be ugly in Paris. That was the first thought Samantha had when she met Amanda. Her second thought was that she wanted to take lessons from Michelle. Where she was sure Amanda had to work to be as she was, she was equally sure that Michelle's look was as effortless as it was elegant. Both women wore grey pleated skirts. Amanda had chosen a bilious red silk blouse to go with it and white stockings. She knew they were stockings because when Amanda sat down, her already short skirt receded just that much more up her thighs to show the top of them and the clips of the black garters that held them up. Michelle, in contrast had a vibrant multihued blouse on that highlighted her eyes and a collar that framed her face and worked with her braided black hair. Her stockings were nude and her black pumps were stylish and looked comfortable as well.

"Where can I get a pair of those shoes?" she asked as people were taking their seats. Both Alex and Monique looked at her and then at Michelle's feet.

"They're great aren't they?" Michelle said her British accent strong as she showed off her shoes. Knightsbridge, London. There is a little cobbler there. He makes a couple of dozen pairs a month. Craft stuff, but really comfortable and really well made."

"I really want a pair of those. Maybe a couple of pairs."

"Remind me before you leave and I will get you his address," Michelle said as Amanda took the head of the table where there were a bunch of samples piled up.

"Monique, you said you wanted to see some fabrics? Did you have anything particular in mind?"

"I really like this blouse," Samantha said, again indicating Michelle's clothes. It is just so different, and please don't tell me you got it in London," she said, looking imploringly at Michelle.

Alex noticed the evil look Amanda shot at Samantha and wondered what new dynamic had developed between her and Michelle since the last time he had visited Monique's Paris studio.

"That, my dear," said Monique, "is one of mine, if I am not mistaken?"

Michelle nodded her head. "It is fabulous. One of a kind too!"

Now Alex knew what was going on. Monique had given one of her originals to Michelle and he knew that Amanda had been angling to get one, only to continually be shut out, and for Michelle to wear it when Monique was around was as big a slap in the face to Amanda as it was a compliment to Monique. Alex made a note to himself to mention it to Monique in case she had missed it. Maybe it was time to open that shop in Nice that she had been talking about and send Amanda there to manage it, although Michelle would have been the better choice.

"It is gorgeous!" Samantha gushed. "How do I convince you to make a couple more? Maybe in this pattern?" As she talked, Samantha had been sliding some of the silk samples around and pulled out a swatch that was not as vibrant in its colouring as Michelle was wearing, but would probably have the same affect. "Do you have any Rayon samples?" she asked, looking between Amanda and Monique.

Amanda paled, looking as if she had been slapped. Monique was not sure what question was being asked. Alex, watching the three of them started laughing.

"What? Did I say something funny?" Samantha asked.

"Funny? No, and yes. Monique, it is a wonderful idea actually. As much as you dislike Martha Stewart, you have some wonderful outfits that would be perfect office wear in the United States, especially for the harder to fit, tall women. I know you have been resisting going in this direction for years. What if you were to sell the line under a house brand? It would give you a chance to get some of those designers that you have been coddling some real experience in a cut throat market and sell the silks under the Channel line?"

"Alexander, why are you not working for me?" Monique asked.

"Monique, I do work for you. Just not in the way you want me too," Alex said, walking up to the samples.

"What do you think Amanda? What would look good with that pattern?" Alex asked her, trying to draw her into the conversation. Just because he did not like her did not mean he did not appreciate her eye. She had a lousy fashion sense, no one would ever argue that, but she was a shrewd judge of what would look good on a pattern and what might actually sell, which was as important as what looked good.

She rifled through the pile for a moment, pulling out several selections before settling on two that just made Alex shake his head. He would never have worn the purple but Samantha seemed to love it.

"Yes, that is perfect. With a grey or blue? It is elegant. It would be perfect for day into night, such as office to a dinner party. The C level types will love it. Maybe wear it with pearls or a long gold chain to accessorize it."

Alex noticed that Amanda's colour had returned and that she seemed to be getting into the discussion. Monique caught his attention and smiled at him gently and nodded. He nodded back and smiled too before letting himself out of the conference room. If he was any judge, the meeting would go on for hours.