A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I am not so certain that it is the same. He came here acting one way and suddenly changed to act in another." The young woman shook her head and let out a sigh, then continued as she sat down on the edge of her bed.

"I know Rebecca much more intimately then I know Drest. I really know nothing of the man. I know Vivaine even less. For all I know he could have been the one to seduce her." She looked up to Muriel, it was obvious by the look of desperation in her eyes that Evie did not wish to believe her own words.

"Vivaine is not the most chaste of women your majesty. In fact the night of the ball when Benedict and I..." Muriel did not finish the sentence, instead she bowed her head and closed her eyes.

"You and Benedict have grown quite close, have you not?" Evie's voice softened as she spoke. "Yet I can tell that something has happened between the two of you."

Evie looked to Muriel's right as her head lifted and her eyes opened. Before anything else could be said, Muriel turned and took a few steps away from the bed and the queen. The two women were genuinely concerned for one another, each of them not wishing to talk about their own issues.

"On that night I saw the way that she looked at him, as if her eyes were hungry for something that she wanted to have. For a single moment I feared that he would go to her, yet he did not. She appeared angered at this." Muriel paused for a moment and turned to face the queen.

When Evie looked into Muriel's eyes once more she could see they were begging to be understood, begging for the queen to see the reason behind her words. The younger woman was shocked to hear such things, not because of who they pertained to but because of the meaning of them. Was it really possible that the same thing had happened to Rebecca could happen to Drest? Her heart skipped a beat as she thought of this, perhaps there was hope after all.

"If what you are saying is correct, and she is able to charm men, then I have wronged Drest. What if it is too late?" The more Evie thought about it the more it pained her. She had lost so much since she became queen that she desperately hoped recovery was possible.

"Shhh my poppet." Muriel sat on the bed beside Evie, then gently began to stroke her hair. "Speak to him, admit your faults and wrong doings. If he can not forgive you for such then he is as undeserving of your heart as..."

The older woman cradled Evie's head against her chest, as she let out a sigh she kissed the top of Evie's head. It was motherly instinct more than anything. Muriel wanted nothing more than to guide the queen through her pain. There were multiple reasons for this. In part she just wished to forget her own pain, but it seemed to be backfiring, her own pain only made worse.

"You feel for him as I do for Drest. I can hear it in your words and see it in your face." Evie looked up to Muriel. Her soft tone was just as delicate as the situations they both faced.

"He is pompous, arrogant, selfish..." She clenched her teeth and shook her head. "He wants nothing more to do with me and has spoken such. But it is time for you to go to bed my poppet, you have had a long day and need your rest for the morrow."

Muriel carefully rose, Evie let out a soft sigh as she did such. Though she wished to talk more, she knew the older woman was right. As she lay down Muriel covered her with the fine linens on her bed, leaning down much like a loving mother would she kissed the queen on the forehead.

"If such words are true then Benedict is a fool. If he can not see the loving woman, that wishes nothing more than his heart, then he is the biggest fool in Vix." Evie spoke from her heart as Muriel turned and started to leave.

"No my poppet, I was the fool. A fool to think that anyone could love an old maid such as myself." With that said Muriel opened the door and turned her head to say one last thing.

"Goodnight my queen, I shall see you when you rise." As the tear slid down her cheek she closed the door behind her. Muriel hoped that, while her ending would not be happy, the ending for her little poppet would be.

12