A Second Chance

Story Info
A widower takes his daughter on a cruise.
11.4k words
4.76
232.3k
514
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,977 Followers

"Oh please, daddy. Can we go. It would be so much fun. Besides, it would do you good to get out. You never leave the house."

I was listening to Bobbie, short for Roberta, my thirteen year old daughter beg me to take her on a cruise. You know the one, with all cartoon characters as the theme. I thought about what she said about me never leaving the house. I guess it was true. Ever since my wife had passed away I had pretty much shut myself in. Bobbie's mother had been the love of my life and her death had nearly destroyed me. If it hadn't been for our daughter, God knows where I would be. She was the reason I had continued on.

Two years after my wife's death I was still in mourning. Whenever Bobbie was around I would put on a brave face and pretend everything was okay but some nights I would still cry into my pillow. I owned my own company. We designed customized computer programs for large businesses. Even though I'd had to let a couple programmers go due to the downturn in the economy, we were still able to stay afloat. It wasn't like I needed the money if we did fail. I had made a lot when things were booming and had wisely invested it.

As for getting out of the house, I would go into the office a couple times a week. The rest of the time I worked from home. What with the internet and web cams, I could always talk to anyone that needed me from my home office. Other than that the only times I went out was to attend Bobbie's school functions and her soccer games. I made sure I was always there for her. For the first year after her mother's death we were both pretty much a mess but during the last year she had seem to come to terms with it and was coping quite well. It was me that was still a mess emotionally. I realized that I hadn't taken Bobbie anywhere other than maybe the mall when she need clothes since my wife died.

Bobbie was going to be out for summer vacation in a couple weeks and I decided she was right. It might be fun to go on a cruise together.

"Okay, sweetie. Let me see what I can do. I'll go online and make reservations."

Bobbie squealed with glee and wrapped her arms around my neck and squeezed hard.

"Thank you, daddy. I love you so much."

"Yeah, it's funny how you always love me when you want something," I said teasing her.

"Uh uh, I always love you daddy."

"I know, baby, and I love you too. But, tomorrow's a school day and you need to get your little behind in bed."

"Yes, daddy."

Bobbie skipped off happily to her room to get ready for bed. She was the sweetest child, never giving me any problems. I thanked God everyday that she had been born. She was a part of her mother. I gave her time to get in bed and then went in to tuck her in and tell her goodnight. After I turned her light out I returned to my office and kept my word to her. I booked us passage on a seven day cruise in a two bedroom suite. It wasn't cheap but I could afford it and wanted the best for Bobbie. When I told her at breakfast that our trip was in four weeks, she was ecstatic. I swear she was walking on air when I dropped her off at school.

Needless to say, the cruise wasn't the only expense. Oh no, Bobbie dragged me to the mall as she said we needed new clothes for our trip. I let her pick out enough new outfits for the week and even allowed her to chose some new clothes for me. She may only be thirteen but I must admit she does have good taste.

Wanting to make sure there were no last minute surprises we flew to Florida on Friday and spent the night in a hotel prior to our boarding the ship on Saturday. Right on time we went aboard the next day. Our first priority was to get settled into our room. Bobbie was so excited the she had her own room and that we had a balcony looking out over the water, I thought she was going to burst. It wasn't long before she was dragging me out of the room to go explore. She oohed and aahed at all the things she saw that were directed towards entertaining kids.

We ate dinner in one of the family dining rooms that evening and then attended the welcome aboard gathering where they explained about all the things there was to do. There were a lot of planned activities for kids depending on their age. Bobbie and I talked it over and she wanted to participate in one of the supervised activities for kids her age the next morning and then for me to take her swimming in the afternoon.

My daughter was up bright and early the next morning, literally dragging me out of bed to get going. I took her for breakfast and then walked her to where the kid's club met. Having the rest of the morning to myself I decided to be adventurous. I went back to our suite and sat out on the balcony and read one of the books I had brought with me. At lunch time I went and collected Bobbie for lunch. She wanted to go the on board pizzeria. I'm not the biggest fan of pizza but this trip was for her so I agreed.

We took another stroll around the ship just checking things out. Around two Bobbie pulled me back to the room to change into our swim suits. The were three pools on board and we went to the one that was for families. The other two were for either adults only or kids only. I took my book with me and found us a couple loungers. Bobbie took off for the water while I read. I glanced up often to make sure she was okay and wasn't surprised to see her playing with a cute little girl around five years old. Bobbie loved little kids and was very good with them. I took note of the slim brunette sitting on the edge of the pool with her legs in the water. She was obviously the little girls mother.

-------Bobbie and Amy

Bobbie had a lot of fun during her morning activities but she was determined to get her dad out of their rooms. She loved her father very much and she worried about him shutting himself off from life. She knew her father had loved her mother so much that he still hurt. She wished he would meet someone his age to be friends with, if not more.

At least bringing him to the pool got him out around other people. Once her dad had settled in his lounger Bobbie hopped into the pool. She had only just got in when she saw a pretty lady with a little girl walk to the water. The mom got in and reached out and picked her daughter up and set her down in the shallow end. Bobbie waded over to them.

"Hi, I'm Bobbie," she said to the little girl.

"Hello. My name's Kerry," the little girl said smiling. "And that's my mommy."

Bobbie introduced herself to the little girl's mother and then started to play with the five year old. Amy Wilson smiled as she watched her daughter, Kerry, having fun and enjoying the attention of the older girl. She hopped on to the edge of the pool and sat with her legs in the water. She did notice the guy in the lounger looking their way a few times. Having just been divorced six months earlier, men weren't high on her list. Sure, he's fit and good looking but she bet he was a pig just like her ex-husband.

"Are you out here alone?" Amy asked Bobbie.

"No, I'm here with my dad. That's him over there," she said waving to him.

"Oh, Amy," said realizing that was why he kept glancing their way. "Is you mom here, too?"

A look of sadness crossed Bobbie's face. "I don't have a mom anymore. She died."

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry," Amy said.

"But I do have daddy. He's the best dad in the whole wide world," Bobbie said, brightening up. "Would you like to meet him?"

"That's okay, Bobbie. He looks like he's comfortable with his book," she said, not really interested in meeting men.

"He would spend all his time reading if I let him. Wait, let me get him."

Before Amy could think up an excuse for her not to, Bobbie had climbed out of the pool and was pulling at her father's hand urging him to get up.

------David

"Come on, dad. Don't just sit here like a bump on a log all day. Get in the pool with me," my daughter said pulling at my hand.

I chuckled and let her pull me to my feet and hopped into the pool with her. As soon as we were in she pulled on my hand again leading me over to where her little playmate was.

"Daddy, this is Kerry. Isn't she cute?" Bobbie said as we reached the shallow end of the pool.

"Hello, Kerry," I said smiling down at the youngster.

"And this is Kerry's mom, Ms. Wilson," Bobbie said.

"Hello, Ms. Wilson," I said politely.

"Hello, Mr.?" she answered obviously not knowing my last name.

"David Johnson, just call me David."

Up close I noticed that Ms. Wilson was very attractive. She was wearing a rather conservative one piece swimsuit but I could tell from her slim waist and well toned legs she obviously kept herself fit. I made a couple comments about the cruise and the weather and she just nodded not hardly looking at me. Obviously she wasn't inclined to have a conversation with me which was fine. It wasn't like I was trying to pick her up or anything. Not wanting to intrude into her personal space I excused myself and returned to my book. If her husband showed up, he might get the wrong idea and I wasn't looking for trouble.

-----Amy

Amy watched as Bobbie pulled her father to the pool and over to where she was watching her daughter play in the water. She was a little irritated at the intrusion. When Bobbie had introduced David to her she purposely didn't give him her first name, letting Ms. Wilson suffice. And the couple times he had made comments she kept her responses to a curt nod. What she couldn't help notice was that he was really handsome up close and obviously worked out. His chest and abs were well defined. His dark hair with just a touch of gray at the temples complimented his deep blue eyes. After a few minutes he had returned to his chair. Amy thought he was at least perceptive enough to know he wasn't going to get lucky with her.

"I worry about him. He never goes anywhere since momma died. I don't think he would ever leave the house if I didn't make him," Bobbie said after her dad had left.

"How long ago has it been?" Amy asked.

"Two years.

Amy was shocked that it had been that long. She looked over at David and thought he must have really loved his wife if he wasn't out looking for women after two years. She then felt guilty by how she had treated him. Amy stayed at the pool for awhile, letting Kerry enjoy playing with Bobbie. A couple times she glanced over at David and wondered what it would have been like to marry a man who cared so much for his wife instead of the two timing pig she had married.

"Isn't Kerry's dad going to come out to the play with her?" Bobbie asked Amy.

"No, her dad and I don't live together anymore. He moved away and she doesn't get to see him."

"Oh," Bobbie said.

Amy decided that Kerry had enough sun for one day and told Bobbie they were going to go in now. Bobbie picked Kerry up and handed her to Amy.

"Bye, Kerry. I had fun playing with you," Bobbie said.

"Me too. I like you," Kerry said.

"It was very nice to meet you, Ms. Wilson. Thank you for letting me play with Kerry. I hope we see you again."

"It was very nice to meet you, too, Bobbie. I'm sure Kerry would love to play with you again if we see you around."

-----David

I glanced up to see Ms. Wilson and her daughter leaving the pool area as Bobbie swam back over and got out of the water.

"Daddy, I'm hungry," my daughter said.

"Guess we can't have that. Come on. Let's go shower and change and I'll get you something to eat."

We changed and had an early dinner. As we ate, Bobbie told me how much she had enjoyed playing with little Kerry. She also said she was sad for her because she didn't have a daddy. I asked her what she meant by that and Bobbie told me that Kerry's dad had moved away and didn't see her anymore. I looked at my daughter and shook my head. How could a man not want to see his own child.

When we were through eating, Bobbie said that there was a movie she wanted to see. The ship had areas set aside for kids of certain age groups with games and movies. She wanted to go to the one that was for kids ten to fourteen. Parents weren't allowed in, but they were watched over by some of the ships staff. I dropped her off to have fun with the other kids and told her I would come back at nine to get her. I went back to the room and read until it was time to meet her. She was ready for bed when we got back. She's had a full day and was tired.

The next day the ship made it's first stop at one of the islands. It had beautiful white sand beaches and a skiff that went back and forth about every half hour taking people to and from the island. Bobbie wanted to go to the beach, so we caught the little boat and headed over. There were umbrellas and loungers along the beach so I was able to sit in comfort and watch my daughter frolic along the shoreline.

We had been there a half hour when I heard the voice of a little girl shouting excitedly.

"Bobbie, Bobbie."

Little Kerry rushed by my chair towards the water and my daughter. She ran over laughing merrily and hugged my daughter . Hurrying behind her was Ms. Wilson. She went to the girls and I heard her and my daughter talking. Bobbie promised she would look after Kerry and wouldn't let her get into the deep water. As the beach sloped gently out they could safely play in the shallows. Bobbie then suggested that Ms. Wilson could sit with me. I saw Kerry's mom look to where Bobbie was pointing at me and she paused as if she was considering it. Hesitantly she walked over.

"Hello, David. Would you mind if I share your umbrella while the girls play."

"Not at all, Ms. Wilson. Please have a seat."

"Please call me Amy. David, I apologize about the way I acted yesterday."

"That's alright, Amy. You didn't do anything wrong. You don't need to apologize."

Amy gave me a small smile and took a seat in the lounger on the other side of the small table with the umbrella. We sat in silence watching our daughters laugh and carry on. I saw Bobbie whisper in Kerry's ear and the little girl grin and nod her head. The two girls came charging across the sand towards us. Bobbie grabbed my hand pulling at me as Kerry pulled on her mothers.

"Come on, dad. We want you guys to help us build a sand castle."

I laughed as I let her pull me up. The last time I had built sand castles with my daughter was when she was only a little older than Kerry. My wife was still alive and we had taken a vacation to the beach. We hurried down to the water's edge and soon had a good start on a castle. Occasionally I would look up and see Amy smile at me as we worked with our daughters. It seemed all too soon that we were needing to pack up and head back to the ship. Amy and Kerry went back with us to catch the skiff. Bobbie and Kerry walked between Amy and I holding hands and chattering away. It did my heart good to see my daughter having fun.

When we were back on board, our daughter's started begging us to let them have dinner together that evening. They were so cute that Amy and I couldn't help but laugh and give in. We had enough time to shower and I got in a short nap before we went to meet Amy and Kerry. We ended up in the pizzeria again but only on the promise from Bobbie that she and I would eat in one of the other restaurants the next night. The pizza was served buffet style. We filled out plates and our daughters hurried to one of the booths and slid in one side to sit side by side. Amy turned and looked at me. I smiled and shrugged my shoulders. She slid in and I sat down next to her.

We didn't really get into our personal lives but I learned from Amy that she had won this trip in a contest of some kind. After we had eaten we took the girls to one of the arcades and watched them play games. Bobbie was very attentive to the littler girl and helped her with the games. When we got ready to return to our rooms, it was Kerry who whispered into Bobbie's ear. Bobbie grinned and nodded at her. All the way back to the room, my daughter chattered about how much fun she's been having.

-----Amy

Amy had agreed to take her daughter to the beach but as they walked towards the water, her daughter had pulled her hand free and took off running. At first she had been afraid Kerry was going to run out into the sea but when Amy saw Bobbie she breathed a sigh of relief. Amy went to the girls and Bobbie said she would look after Kerry and she could sit with her dad. Still embarrassed at how she had acted yesterday she cautiously approached him and asked to share his umbrella. She was grateful that David was so gracious in telling her he had not taken offense to her demeanor the day before at the pool.

Amy had watched how David interacted with Bobbie while they built sand castles and could tell he loved his daughter very much. Once again she wished she had married a man who was more like David and not the one who had turned his back on his wife and daughter. As she and Kerry headed back to their room that evening she listened to her daughter carry on about how much fun she was having. She smiled and was really glad to see Kerry so happy.

That night as she lay in bed she thought about David. He wasn't like most men she had met. He didn't leer at her, he was soft spoken and a total gentleman.

------David

We got up on our third day aboard ship and went to breakfast. This would be another day at sea. Bobbie wanted to go back to the kids room and then meet me for lunch. I was fine with that as it would give me time to sit out on the balcony and read. I picked her up at noon and we actually ate something other than pizza, thank God. I can only stomach just so much pepperoni. In the afternoon she wanted to go to the pool again. I found a lounger and started to read. Instead of jumping in the water, Bobbie sat next to me seeming a bit antsy. Suddenly she bolted up and ran across the deck. I looked up to see Amy and Kerry coming towards us.

The two girls talked excitedly to Amy and she nodded her head. Bobbie took Kerry to the shallow end to play in the water while Amy came over and said hello and sat down in the lounger next to mine. We sat quietly and watched the girls. Finally I asked her if she was enjoying the cruise.

"Yes, it's nice to get away from the grind and relax. Kerry is really having a blast. Your daughter is so sweet to look after her the way she does."

"Bobbie is something special. She really has a way with younger kids and loves to look after them. I think she's going to make a great mother someday," I said with pride. "So is there anything you haven't done yet you want to do?"

"Well, part of the package I won included a treatment at the spa but Kerry doesn't want to go to the kids room since parents aren't allowed in, so I guess I won't get to do that."

I thought about it for a few minutes and then made a suggestion. "We don't make our next stop until after lunch tomorrow. Why don't you make an appointment for in the morning and I know Bobbie would be happy to watch after Kerry and I can keep an eye on both of them."

"I couldn't impose on you like that, David."

"Honestly, Amy. It wouldn't be any imposition. We would be happy to watch Kerry for you."

Amy paused as if she was wondering if she could trust me with her daughter. I guess she decided I was okay. "It would be nice to be pampered. If you're sure I'll ask Kerry if she would like to spend some time with Bobbie."

Amy and Kerry joined Bobbie and I for dinner again that evening. I had already asked Bobbie if she would like to spend the morning watching over Kerry and she was all for it. When Amy asked Kerry about it over dinner she was thrilled with the idea. The next morning we met them near the arcade where we told Amy we would be when she got out of the spa. The girls had a blast playing games. Even I got into the action with them. There was one game in particular the Kerry wanted to play but she was a little too short. She asked me if she could sit in my lap so she could reach it. We were in the middle of that when Amy returned from the spa looking very relaxed.

Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,977 Followers