A Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,935 Followers

The snickers that emanated across the room made her glare at me almost victoriously and gloating until I viciously replied, "Not by someone who was still stuffing her bra and just beginning to grow pubic hair while good men were over there fighting and dying because of, what was it you called it, politics versus religion?" This made the class howl with laughter. I showed neither emotion nor any mercy whatsoever. Her previous remark had thoroughly pissed me off, hence the reason for such a cutting rebuttal.

She glared at me equally as viciously, then looked around the room and said, "Class is dismissed for the day. Mr. McNeal! I want to see you in my office, immediately!"

She was waiting for me at the door when I arrived. She motioned for me to sit down. I stood defiantly instead. Then she closed the door behind her and the moment it latched shut, she looked at me sternly and said, "Just who in the hell do you think you are, coming into my class and disturbing it like that and insulting me?" When I didn't answer her immediately, she tried to bait me and said, "Well? What do you have to say for yourself Mr. McNeal?"

I looked her dead in the eye, and then I leaned down until I was within inches of her face and, with a very menacing growl, I replied, "I'll tell you exactly who I am lady! I'm one of those Americans I was talking about that fought in the war we just spoke of. I'm also one of those Americans that provided this nation with the blanket of security that little snot noses like you seem to take for granted. So forgive me if I will not stand by and let you dishonor the brave men that died over there, one of them in my arms, by spouting this Whitehouse censored crap that you call history. Do you understand me Miss Zane?" By this time; angry tears were raining down my face.

She was clearly and obviously unnerved. However, she stood her ground and looked at me and, with a shaky voice, said, "You will call me Doctor, Mr. McNeal!" Then, pointing to the diplomas on her office wall, she hatefully added, "I think I've earned it!"

So I stood up straight, wiped my eyes and pulled my wallet from my back pocket and, withdrawing my retired military I.D, I showed it to her and said, "In that case Doctor Zane; you will call me Commander McNeal. I think I've more than earned it. In the mean time Doctor, piss off!"

Then I turned and opened the door, and as I was about to walk out, she shouted, "Get back here, Damnit! We're not finished!"

I turned around and replied, "Oh yeah we are!" Then I left without saying another word.

That afternoon I sat out on the beach near my house and stewed about what I'd been forced to deal with earlier that day. Looking back; I had to admit that up close, Laura Zane was even more beautiful than I ever imagined, especially when she was angry. Thinking about it began to bring forth familiar stirrings deep within the nerves of my groin. It made me think of Kate and all the sexual adventures we'd experienced together. Just as suddenly as those tingles in my groin started, they stopped at remembering that my Kate was dead. I looked out to sea at the waves as they washed upon the shore, and felt the sting of tears in my eyes as they rolled down my face. I rose up from the sand then turned and walked back to my house. I was beginning to realize how much I truly missed her. Kate had been my entire world after I got out of the service. Whenever I would lie next to her at night; just knowing she was there chased away all the nightmares of my past. Now I was living a fairly solitary life. I needed to get out of the house because it seemed that the ghosts of the past followed me here regardless of how far I tried to run away from them. I decided right then and there that I would treat myself to a night on the town, starting tonight. I wasn't going anywhere in particular so I changed into a pair of Docker pants and a short sleeved button down shirt and my good old Rockports. I'd just bought a new car and it was a convertible so, after taking down the top; I backed it out of the garage and decided then to go to Vincente's. The drive down the PCH with the top down cleared my head and by the time I got to halfway there; I was in a decent mood again.

As I drove past the U.C.L.A. campus, I smiled thinking about what had happened in class that morning and told myself to be sure to apologize to Doctor Zane as soon as the opportunity presented itself. As soon as I pulled up to Vincente's, the valet opened my car door and handed me my parking stub. I got out and went in, only this time I went straight to the bar. There were only two seats available and I took one and got comfortable. I had my back to the door, which was not what I preferred but, because they were so full, I had no choice. Of course the bartender most certainly remembered me and was immediately there to take my order.

I'd been sitting there for no more than ten minutes when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder while simultaneously hearing a distinctly female voice behind me say, "Excuse me, but is this seat taken?" When I turned around, lo and behold there stood Laura Zane. When she saw that it was me, her face went ashen and she gasped, "Oh God, never mind!"

Before she could turn and walk away; I gently grabbed her arm and said, "Please don't walk away!"

She looked at where my hand touched her arm and snarled, "If you don't take your hand off of me this second, I'll call the police!"

"I'm trying to apologize, Doctor Zane. Please don't leave yet!" I gently asked.

"Give me one good reason not to!" she replied.

I smiled and as I removed my hand I said, "If you call the police, you're going to have to admit to being afraid of, what was it you called me, an old dog?" Then I looked at her with a serious face and said, "I'm a jerk sometimes so please accept my apology Doc. I'm very sorry for the way I acted. I was way out of line. If you sit down I'll buy you a drink of anything you want!"

I thought she wasn't going to have any part of it, but then she climbed onto the barstool and smiled then replied, "Yes! You are a jerk!" followed by the beautiful sound of her laughter.

I looked at her and asked, "I guess this means I'm forgiven then?"

She again looked at me sternly and said, "No, not yet, you're not!"

"No?" I asked.

Then she grinned real wide and said, "You haven't bought me that drink you promised me!"

I laughed and replied, "Well I can take care of that poste haste!" With a wave of my hand; the bartender brought her a white wine, while I drank bourbon.

As I watched her take that first sip, I felt a slight chill run down my spine as I witnessed her soft lips gently touch the glass. In order to keep her from knowing that I was watching her; I nervously took a drink from my glass and, as I was setting it down, I saw her giving me a quizzical look.

"What is it?" I asked, uncomfortably.

She gracefully put her beautiful hands gently in her lap and, looking down, said "After our little encounter this morning; I was going to have you expelled!" Then she looked up at me and added, "But then I saw your transcripts and C.L.E.P. scores. You scored perfect across the boards and that piqued my curiosity. So I went to see Dr. Johns and he told me all about you. Why didn't you tell me that you were a highly decorated combat veteran as well as a Navy SEAL?"

I grinned and told her, "Well, as I recall; I don't think you gave me much of a chance to say anything!"

She immediately crossed her arms, signaling a defensive posture, and replied, "I gave you the same chance that you gave me, Commander!"

I smiled to put her at ease and said, "Okay, look! Why don't we start over?" I extended my hand and said, "I'm Tom McNeal, Commander, United States Navy retired!"

She grinned and as she took my hand, she giggled, making her face light up, while at the same time driving me crazy, and said, "Hi Tom! I'm Doctor Laura Zane and I teach history at U.C.L.A.!"

We shook hands and I said, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Laura!"

She flashed a devilish grin this time and replied, "It's nice to meet you too and, just so you know; I've never stuffed my bra!" Now it was my turn to be caught off guard and I almost fell out of my seat laughing.

When I regained my composure; Laura winked at me and said, "Now we're even!"

I looked at her confused and said, "I don't understand that one!"

"No?" she asked smiling.

Then I said, "I didn't make you laugh; I made you mad!"

She smiled pleasantly and said, "At first you did, but then, after you left my office and I'd had time to cool off; I remembered how you turned and stomped away like some little boy and....." her face turned to a crimson blush as she continued "...to be honest; now that I look back, I thought it was absolutely adorable!" Then she began to giggle, making me laugh as well.

She softly touched my hand and said, "Tom, can I ask you a rather personal question?"

I looked at her and, shrugging my shoulders, said, "Go ahead Doc! I'm an open book"

She adjusted herself in the seat and began, "I was just wondering what a guy like you is doing in my classroom? I mean, it's quite apparent by, not only the way you handle yourself but, the way you carry yourself that there probably isn't anything that I could teach you. I watched you when you left the building. You got into a nice sports car, so I know you're a man of means and you're not looking to start a new career. I guess what I'm asking you is; what are you doing here?"

I smiled as I told her, "Well, according to the curriculum, I've got to have your class to get my degree!"

"Why now, at this point in your life?" she asked me politely.

I smiled and said, "I'm gonna need another drink!"

I ordered another round for us, only this time, when the bartender brought our drinks to us, he smiled and said, "So, you finally decided to talk to her instead of paying for her dinner and drinks right before you leave!" I put my face in my hands and shook my head in embarrassment.

"Were you the one who paid for all those drinks and all that food, both nights?"

I just nodded my head silently.

"Why?" she asked.

I mustered up all the courage I had and said, "Well, the first time I saw you I thought that you were the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen and somehow I just knew there was something special about you!"

I stood up and proceeded to take my wallet out to pay my tab, making preparations to leave when she gently grabbed my arm and said, "Where are you going?"

I looked ashamedly at her and replied, "I don't want you to think that I'm some kind of dirty minded pervert that's just out to pick up a young girl and that's why I didn't stick around!"

The grip on my arm tightened and she replied, "Tom, please don't go!" Then I looked over at her again and she added, "Stay here and talk to me. I don't think badly of you at all!" Suddenly her total countenance changed to a soft comforting smile that seemed to warm me from within. As I sat back down; she gave me that devilish grin and replied, "Besides; I'm not some young girl!"

"Oh, no?" I asked coyly.

She shook her head, took another sip of wine and said "Nope! I just turned 29 this past Friday!" Then, changing the subject; she said, "You never did answer my question!"

"What?" I asked.

"What are you doing here?" she asked me again.

I thought for a minute and came up with a plan. Then I asked her, "Do you really want to know?"

"I wouldn't have asked if not?" she replied.

So I asked her, "Are you busy tomorrow?" "Well, I have a ten o'clock class tomorrow morning but I'm finished at noon and after that I'm free. Why?" she replied.

I smiled and said, "I'll pick you up at 12:15 pm tomorrow afternoon, right outside your office, and then I'll show you why I'm here, okay?"

"Where are you taking me?" she asked, suspiciously.

I laughed and said, "Relax Doc! I'm taking you to meet one of my oldest and dearest friends. Trust me!"

She seemed to relax and then said, "Okay! I'll see you tomorrow then. Now if you'll excuse me Tom, I still haven't graded the test you took today!" She finished her glass of wine and then prepared to leave. Right before she walked away; she put her hand gently on my arm and said, "It really was nice meeting you. I enjoyed myself, thank you!" Then she turned and left but not before she winked at me while she gently squeezed my arm. I drove home smiling the whole way. I just hoped she liked what I was going to show her.

Chapter Four

The next day; I pulled into the parking lot of the history building on the U.C.L.A. campus at 12:05 pm according to my watch and Laura was already there waiting for me. I pulled up in front of her, looked at my watch and then asked, "Am I late?"

She smiled warmly at me and said, "Of course not, silly. I just got out a little early, that's all" then she giggled delightfully and got into the car.

I already had the top down so, before we drove off, I said, "If you'll look in the glove compartment, I've got a cap you can wear so your hair won't blow all over you!"

She smiled and, while reaching into her purse, said, "I've got it covered!" Moments later; she had her hair tied back with a scarf she'd retrieved. Then she grinned and said, "Let's go!"

In a few minutes we were out of downtown and on the PCH headed toward Malibu and Mike's house. While we were driving; I had loaded my CD player with all my favorite tunes. "Evil Woman" by Electric Light Orchestra came on and Laura sat up excitedly and said, "Oh Gosh! I just love old retro music like this!"

Not missing an opportunity to tease her; I hung my head and disappointedly said, "Old Huh?"

In seconds; her face went bright crimson and, out of compassionate reflex, she gently put her hand on my leg close to my knee and said, "Oh god, Tom! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to...."

I broke out laughing and I looked at her and said, "Gotcha!"

She smacked me rather sharply on the knee with the hand that was on my leg and replied, "Oh, you shit!" But I still couldn't control my laughter and soon it rubbed off on her as well. In a few seconds Laura began to laugh too. After the laughter died down; she relaxed and enjoyed the drive and the music all the way to Mike's. However; I have an extremely wide range of peripheral vision and every so often out of the corner of my eye; I would see her occasionally look at me with very gentle and tender facial expressions. But it was only two or three times and I was certain that I wasn't meant to see it so, I acted accordingly.

We pulled into Mike's driveway at 1:00 pm sharp and as I took the car out of gear and put on the brake; Laura pulled her scarf off and smiled at me warmly. After getting out of the car and coming around to her side to open her door for her; I escorted Laura to Mike's front door and rang the bell. "WHO THE HELL IS IT!!!" blared from the intercom.

"IT"S ME, NOW OPEN THE DOOR ASS HOLE!!!" I yelled back. "Sorry!" I whispered to Laura, who just shook her head and snickered.

The front door flew open and Mike appeared wearing a pair of surfing shorts, a tee shirt and a New York Yankees ball cap. I grinned as we hugged each other. "What's up bro?" asked Mike.

I turned to Laura and replied, "Mike Wells; I'd like you to meet Doctor Laura Zane!"

Mike looked back and forth between Laura and me and said, "Doctor? You sick or something Tom?"

Laura couldn't help but laugh out loud and I said, "Not that kind of doctor, you asshole! She's a professor that has a Doctorates Degree!"

"In what?" asked Mike, and before I could answer; Laura spoke up and said, "Contemporary American History!"

Suddenly; Mike's face lit up and said, "Aren't you taking that at school Tom? So, what, are you dating your teacher for a good grade?" then he broke out into a fit of laughter.

I just shook my head and told Laura, "I think his mother dropped him on his head. He's only kidding I assure you!"

Then Mike straightened up and looked at Laura and said, "He's right! I'm only teasing ya, Doc!"

She smiled and replied, "Oh, feel free to call me Laura!"

Mike gently patted her on her shoulder and said, "No Ma'am! If you've earned the title of Doctor then you deserve the respect to be called nothing less so, that's it!" Then he turned and escorted us into the living room. I just looked at Laura and shrugged my shoulders. She beamed proudly beside me.

"Well, hi Tom!" said Sheryl, as we entered the room. As she stood and was hugging me, she looked at Laura and said, "Oh My! Who is this pretty thing you've brought with you?"

Before I could answer, Mike interrupted and replied, "Honey, allow me to introduce Doctor Laura Zane! She's Tom's history professor!"

"Well then; in that case, it's really a pleasure to meet you!" said Sheryl. As Laura extended a handshake, Sheryl just smiled and said, "Oh Honey, around this house we hug!" So she hugged Laura and said, "Welcome! It's good to have another woman here in this sea of testosterone!"

Laura laughed very openly now then looked at me and said, "After our first meeting; I would've never guessed that you knew such nice people!"

"What's she talking about Tom?" asked Mike.

"Oh, nothing," I replied, giving Laura a subtle wink.

"You guys are just in time to eat lunch. I made plenty!" said Sheryl.

Laura was about to protest but I gently put my arm around her shoulder and softly told her, "I know Sheryl well and it'll be my ass if you don't eat!"

She grinned and said, "Hmmm! There's a thought!" then she broke out laughing and told Sheryl, "Thank you, I'd be delighted. Is there anything I can do to help?"

Sheryl took her hand and said, "No, but we can still go in the kitchen and have some girl talk. C'mon Honey!"

As the two women walked into the kitchen; Mike and I sat down and he immediately asked, "Well?"

"Well, what?" I replied.

Mike immediately began smiling and said, "The girl, she's kinda young, ain't she?"

"Oh shut up! It's not like that. She's my history professor!" I said, nonchalantly.

"Yeah, uh huh!" clucked Mike, knowingly. To his credit though, nothing else was said that would imply anything where Laura and I were concerned.

Lunch was wonderful as usual. Sheryl had gone all out and made Chicken Cacciatore (Mike's Favorite) and it was absolutely wonderful. While we were eating, Laura inquired of how Mike and I became friends and learned that we'd served together in the Navy and how we'd remained friends and stayed in touch after Mike got out.

After we'd finished lunch and were sitting around talking; I looked at Laura and asked, "I'll bet you're wondering why I brought you out here, huh?"

She gave me a wistful smile and said, "Well, I haven't really thought about it until now but, yes, I suppose so!"

I looked at Mike and asked, "Do you still have the tape cued up from the other night?"

Mike smiled and said, "As a matter of fact; I was listening to it when you rang the doorbell and I think there's room to add a couple more keyboard tracks!"

"Oh, yeah?" I asked surprised, but then snapping back to why I was there in the first place, I said, "Laura asked me what brought me out here to L.A. so instead of telling her; I thought that maybe we could show her!"

Mike grinned then rose from the table and said, "Follow me!"

We went into the studio and. Mike and I were in the control booth while Sheryl and Laura remained in the main suite of the studio so they could listen to the song itself. Mike turned on the tape and as the music flowed; he pointed out the places where he thought additional keyboard tracks might add to the song and I whole heartedly agreed. After the song had finished, I looked through the window to see both women in tears. I walked through the sound proof doors of the control room and into the main suite and asked, "How did you like the song?"

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,935 Followers