A Sensible Purchase Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Etiennette cried out something that didn't seem to have words, and her hands flew up to her mouth.

The Chestnut Sisters created little windows by sliding walls away, peeked out to look at Sabina, then proceeded to vomit out onto the men's side.

The Chestnut Brothers put their hands on top of their heads, gawking at the sight. One of them asked, "Why would she jump down there?! Nobody forced her to!"

The other brother asked, "Did we do something wrong? Wasn't she given everything she needed?"

Simon put one palm to his mouth and stepped back from the table, looking down at Sabina with nearly panicked green eyes.

Kornel slapped his forehead and barked out, "This isn't a peasant's house! Damn it, Sabina!"

Blinking, looking up from one person to the next, Sabina shifted her weight from one foot to the other. Then she exhaled and said with a defeated voice, "I forgot."

Kornel left the table and bent his humanoid torso, reaching down towards her. His voice was much softer than before. "Let me carry you off to have your feet washed. I'm the closest thing you have to a male relative here, so I should be the one to help you."

Rubbing her dreadlocks with her fingertips, Sabina grumbled something, and then she let Kornel grab her by her waist and carry her out of the dining area. A servant followed them in case they needed assistance. Two more servants rushed to the puddles of vomit the Chestnut Sisters had made. They used shovels with very long handles to take the dirt there, which was soaking the sickness up, and scoop it into a bucket. A fourth servant left to get some extra soil to replace what was being taken away.

Jansetta rose her head and her voice. "It doesn't seem so terrible to me."

Etiennette turned to give her a look that was almost frightened, but then her lips ceased their quivering, and a smile appeared. "I ... I forgot that she is a foreigner, and she doesn't fully understand our ways." She leaned to one side and looked at her daughters, who were rinsing their mouths out. "Did you two honestly vomit? It was startling, but not truly damaging. Her feet will be clean soon."

The Chestnut Sisters both gave their mother tight, mistrustful looks, as if they didn't believe her.

Simon flipped his table around and asked Etiennette if she would like to play. Adjusting the gold band around her head, Etiennette padded over to the table and stood beside it. Jansetta, Kornel, and the Chestnut Brothers watched the them play a quick game. Etiennette lost, but she was graceful about it, giving her son an approving grin.

A moment or so after that game, Kornel returned with a pink-faced Sabina on his back. He helped her step into the women's quarters all while keeping her newly cleaned feet safe. Simon waved at Sabina to invite her to a game, explaining that she could simply stand near the game table without moving past the boundary.

Many more games were played until yawns were ringing around the room like lazy bells. Etiennette led Sabina to a guest's area in the women's section.

Jansetta wanted to go upstairs right away, but she imagined Simon might want to speak with her. She lingered, closing a wall, watching the Chestnut Sisters leave the area, their backs and necks rather stiff.

Simon approached just before she was about to completely block his view of her. "Wife," he said, holding out one of his hands, "are you fatigued?"

"I don't believe I'll collapse before you, but I should retire to the lovely chamber that has been so generously given to me."

His nose twitched a bit. "Then please rest."

***

Jansetta had to hold up a clay lamp as she walked up to her bedroom. She lit a few lamps inside and then she went to her wash basin to give herself a few wipes. Holding a wooden comb, she walked over to her square table and took her seat. As she removed the golden clasps at her braids, she felt the lingering, relaxing warmth in her belly that a good meal often provided. She smiled to herself, pulling her braids apart, the white ribbons falling onto the table.

Her scalp gave silent little moans, or she imagined so, as she combed her blonde hair. It was a reassuring sensation. In a world where she could safely comb her hair, all was likely well.

Even though ... this world was still so new.

The smile disappeared even as the comb pulled through the temporarily wavy tresses.

When she unrolled her mattress later tonight, would she be able to sleep?

Would she awaken in her former home, understanding that all of this had been a dream?

Jansetta almost wished that would be so, or rather, she wished that none of her parents had died, and that her brother hadn't died.

Her stomach was suddenly much less calm. She was almost ill. Her hand went to her abdomen, and she took deep, slow breaths. Within half a minute, she thought she had calmed herself.

Jansetta thought that it would be best to test the idea, or at least try to.

She went over to the closet full of bedding. She unrolled a mattress onto the floor, beside the table. A supportive pillow was found, then a thin sort of blanket suitable for the warm weather. She put out all the lamps, except for the small clay one, which was placed on the square tabletop. Then she put away her jewelry and clothing.

As she dug herself under her blanket, a protesting whine trickled out from her mouth. Resting on the floor was so wrong to her. She felt like something would fall on top of her, or she would roll into some furniture.

It was then that her combination of doubt, heartache, and emotional exhaustion overwhelmed her brain. Mucus and suddenly inflamed sinuses blocked any breathing from the nose. Tears began seeping into her pillow, which was nearly pierced by her trembling fingers. Jansetta coughed and wailed out burning, aching nonsense.

Her crying went on for a long time. Her throat dried out.

She did fall asleep, though. When exactly she fell asleep, she didn't know.

***