A Sentimental Heart Ch. 04-05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
totallyatease
totallyatease
1,006 Followers

She left her room, and left her thoughts and worries for Marcus in there as well.

"Yes... I'm just coming now!" she called lightly as she skipped down the stairs.

They decided to take a taxi, so that they could both enjoy a drink, and by the time that they got to the bar in question, most of the other staff were already there.

*

Marcus had once again found himself talked into doing something he wasn't really inclined to do.

When Amanda had laughingly told Miranda that she was the 'bane of his life', he had not thought her to be joking, and more and more he was beginning to find it so very true!

He had always rather spoilt his younger sister, and now he suspected he was beginning to reap the rewards of his constant indulgences.

He had not been inclined to come to this gathering tonight; had not thought his presence necessary...

"Oh but you must come!" Amanda beseeched. "I don't actually work for the company, so I can't really go without you!"

"And WHY is it so important that you do go?" He demanded in exasperation, although he did have a sneaking suspicion about the why.

Amanda blushed and broke the eye contact, along with the dramatic look of pleading.

"I've not really had a chance to chat with Miranda yet..." she muttered a little defensively.

"And how do you know that she's even going to be there?"

She looked up at him earnestly. "Oh Peter said that they would be there!"

She looked away again quickly and the colour in her cheeks deepened.

Marcus had to admit that the thought of seeing Miranda again, on a more social level, did excite him...

But it was because of that sense of excitement that he was determined to stay away.

"Oh very well!"

He stood listening to the blood pumping through his veins as he looked across the room at Miranda...

She looked amazing!

She looked stunning!

She looked so incredibly beautiful that he knew; he just knew that he stood no chance when it came to resisting her!

Chapter Five

Miranda saw Marcus long before Amanda came rushing across to her.

"Miranda!" she exclaimed happily as she hugged her enthusiastically. "I'm so glad that you've come here tonight, we really do need to have a good long chat -- you and I!"

"It's good to see you again too Amanda," Miranda smiled in surprise at the other girl's enthusiastic greeting.

"Come along and sit down with me... Peter you can go and chat with Marcus for a little bit... see if you can get him to cheer up... he's being such a stuffy old bear again!"

She was leading Miranda to a table at the far side of the room, and all the time they were moving she was throwing instructions over her shoulder to Peter.

They sat in the far corner, and Marcus could see that Amanda was talking animatedly to Miranda, who smiled in bemusement as she listened to her.

"Can I get you anything to drink Marcus?" Peter asked as he joined him at the bar.

"No thanks Peter, I'm driving tonight, so I'll just stick with this one I think." Marcus smiled as he held up his half full glass of soda.

"What is Amanda drinking?"

"Oh, she's usually happy with whatever the cocktail of the night is." Marcus shrugged his shoulders carelessly.

"Great, Miranda can have the same!"

Peter ordered their drinks, and while he was waiting he chatted lightly with Marcus, although his gaze kept drifting across the room to the girls.

Peter paid the bar man and collected the drinks.

"Shall we join the girls?" he asked lightly.

Marcus picked up his own glass again and stood up with a little sigh of resignation.

He really had wanted to keep his distance from Miranda, but it seemed like that wasn't going to be allowed -- not without looking like a miserable old guy... or causing offense to her.

They joined the girls, and the evening drifted along; with Amanda carrying most of the conversation -- with Peter's enthusiastic input on occasion.

Marcus sat across from Miranda, with their knees almost touching under the table, and he could see her shiver and tremble once in a while.

It wasn't cold in here, and she looked warm enough; her eyes though, whenever she happened to look at him -- her eyes were bright and as always incredibly beautiful...

"You really will have to show me Peter!"

Marcus had been daydreaming, he blinked as his sister's excited exclamation, penetrated his brooding.

"Of course Amanda!" Peter grinned. "When would you like to go?"

"Well... what about now? It's only about ten minutes' walk from here -- isn't it?"

Peter looked across at the other two. "I was just telling Amanda about that new nightclub on Board Street... we were going to go and take a look... would you two like to join us?"

Miranda shook her head immediately. "Thanks Peter; but I really am beat, I thought I would just call it a night."

"And I only came along to keep you company Amanda... I'll drop Miranda off on my way home."

Peter looked both pleased and relieved that everyone seemed to be so obliging tonight.

"Great!" he stood up and held out his hand to Amanda who slid out from beside Miranda with a happy smile.

"It was good to have a chance to talk to you Miranda... we really shall have to do it again soon!"

"Bye... you two have a good time!" Miranda grinned and waved to them, and then looked across at Marcus bravely. "So are you ready to leave as well?" she asked lightly.

Marcus drained the contents of his glass, which was now tepid and flat. "Absolutely," he nodded standing up.

There were several other people still there, and though Miranda had spoken to some of them when she had first arrived, being with Amanda had made it difficult to talk to anyone for any length of time.

No one seemed to mind though, as they called out a cheerful goodnight -- and see you tomorrow -- and that sort of thing.

They stepped out into the coolness of the night, and Miranda shivered lightly, as she tried to juggle her bag and her coat.

"Here, let me give you a hand." Marcus held her coat so that she could slip her arms into the sleeves.

"Thank you."

He was standing behind her... very close, and as she shrugged the coat onto her shoulders, he drew it together in front of her... his arms closed around her waist, and for a moment he pulled her back against him; so that he could breathe in her scent with a sigh of pleasure.

"Beautiful!" he murmured again huskily.

Miranda stood on that darkened, deserted street with Marcus wrapped around her and her heart hammering in her chest.

It would be so easy to just... turn around and surrender to the feelings he provoked in her.

She closed her eyes for a moment and then moved to do just that.

She looked up into his silver grey eyes and her lips parted on a sigh.

Marcus had never been so tempted in his life...

The door to the cocktail bar opened and several people piled out.

"Come on... I'm parked just around the corner!" Marcus growled out savagely, as the moment passed them by and they parted again.

**

Peter answered the telephone with an absent minded; "Marcus Phillips' office - Peter Redmond speaking."

"Peter my dear boy; it's good to hear your voice again!"

Peter frowned as he tried to place the familiar voice on the other end of the line.

"It's John Harding here!"

"Mr. Harding... how are you sir?" Peter asked with genuine warmth for his sister's ex boss.

"Oh I'm enjoying my retirement... and very busy planning this party for the weekend! I'm ringing because I was hoping to have a quick word with Marcus... is he around by any chance?"

"Yes sir... I'll put you through to his personal line."

Marcus had his desk just across the room from where Peter sat, and so he picked up the phone on the second ring, with a quick smile of thanks to Peter.

"Mr. Harding, it's a pleasure to talk to you... it's really been too long!"

They talked casually for a little while, catching up with common business interests and so forth.

"And thank you so much for giving Miranda a job; I was so concerned for her!" John suddenly said seriously.

"It was to our benefit Mr Harding... Miranda is a wonderful asset to our team!" Marcus told him warmly. "I'm only sorry that she came to us due to the closure of your company."

"Well... these things happen in business sometimes, and I at least closed it down before going insolvent, so everyone got paid what was owed to them; and I received a nice nest egg to put towards my retirement." Mr Harding was nothing but philosophical about the whole thing, and genuine in his views, so Marcus breathed a little sigh of relief that that particular venture had turned out for the best -- for everyone concerned.

"Any way," Mr Harding suddenly declared, "the reason I rang... was to invite you to my Halloween party on Saturday... bring a guest... that sister of yours! If I remember rightly she always liked the opportunity to dress up a bit!"

"So it's to be a costume party then?" Marcus winced, as he prepared to refuse apologetically.

"Yes... I've already invited Miranda and young Peter along, and so you and Amanda can make it a nice little group for you all."

"Well... I'll ask Amanda, but it's a bit late in the day, so I'm almost certain that she's already made arrangements... she'll be popping in a little later... I'll ask her then and get back to you."

Unfortunately, about half an hour before Amanda usually paid her weekly visit, Marcus was called away.

"Can you tell Amanda about this party on Saturday and find out if she wants to go?" he asked Peter, "and then let Mr Harding know... and if you can leave a message for me as well... So that I know where I'm supposed to be on Saturday..." Marcus asked wryly.

Peter chuckled. "No worries Marcus... I'll sort it all out and send you an email later..."

*

When Marcus received Peter's email, he decided to be the good brother and considerate boss...

'Thanks Peter...

I'll be the driver on Saturday night, so we'll pick you and Miranda up at about six thirty!

Marcus.

**

Marcus knocked at the door not quite sure what to expect. He'd gone for a dark cape and fangs and made a very sexy Dracula. The door was pulled open suddenly and there stood a dirty dusty ghoul; grinning manically in a suitably ghoulish fashion.

"Peter." Marcus nodded with his own grin. "Amanda is running late for whatever reason and said she would meet us there!"

"Good evening Count." Peter stepped back to allow Marcus to enter, but didn't close the door as Marcus had expected him to do. "You don't mind giving Miranda a lift do you? I've spoken to Amanda, and I told her that I would go and pick her up." He didn't even bother waiting for a response, just walked past Marcus; on the threshold though he turned back suddenly to yell; "see you at the party sis!" And with a wink and another grin at Marcus he left pulling the door too behind him.

Miranda had been upstairs putting the finishing touches to her witch costume. Satisfied that she looked properly haggish she skipped lightly down the stairs. "Peter did you...?" she paused as Dracula stepped into view. "Oh my!" she exclaimed softly.

She had not seen Marcus since that evening earlier in the week, when they had come so close to... well she wasn't quite sure what would have happened on that street at that time of night, had those people not come out of the cocktail bar and disturbed them.

Marcus had stepped away from her both physically and emotionally, and after driving her home he waited only long enough to make sure she was safely inside before -- making a run for it!

Now as she looked down on him she had to admit that Marcus really did play Dracula so very well, with those deep penetrating eyes, and that enigmatic look.

She flicked back her greasy tangle of wiry hair and gave him a wide grin. "So how do I look?" she asked.

He studied her wart ridden face with her broken rotting teeth and tried to reconcile it with the beautiful young woman who liked to cry at old movies.

"You look..." he told her softly, his eyes bright and intense. "You look... absolutely... revolting!" He grinned again like a fool.

"Excellent!" she laughed as she moved to pass him.

Marcus stopped her by catching her around the waist and pulling her tight against him.

"Since we're both in disguise tonight..." he murmured softly as his lips captured hers.

As a first kiss, it was really something to remember. Her long rubber nose was pushed to one side, squashing her own nose quite painfully, and his fangs dug in to her chin a little bit. His lips however... his lips sent little shivers of excitement down her spine. His tongue dipped softly into her mouth and she groaned. His hands moved gently up to brush against the curve of her breast, and Miranda felt herself leaning into him, striving for more, aching for more!

Marcus drew back with a little sigh, and looked down into her face. He gently straightened her nose and stepped back.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked gruffly.

She nodded several times and swallowed. "Let me just get my broomstick," she whispered.

Marcus laughed and the tension that had been simmering between the two of them... dissolved. He went to open the front door while she walked through to the kitchen to get her bag and broom.

"All ready," she said behind him and he turned to look at her again. The long grubby black dress she wore totally hid the curves beneath, and the tall pointy hat that she had placed on her head made her beautiful face look long and beaky and all the more grotesque. Beneath it all though her beautiful blue eyes burned bright, with excitement. A woman had never turned him on as much as she did right then.

"Shall we go then?"

Miranda seemed to hesitate for a moment as if she had picked up on some of his inner turmoil. She searched his face before she relaxed and smiled. "Of course... Count!"

*

The party was in full swing when they arrived, and Miranda started circling the room immediately to catch up with people that she knew, but hadn't seen for a while. Every time she glanced around however; it was to find Marcus just behind her, making polite small talk with whoever was there.

The general atmosphere was warm light and friendly, and the fun and hideous costumes, gave the party a surreal - magical feel.

There was a buffet style table of food, and it was an open bar, and the lively music in the other room allowed people to dance -- should they be so inclined.

Miranda was so inclined; and several of her old work mates were as well, and so they spent a very pleasant half an hour or so wiggling and gyrating on the edge of the dance floor, to the fast and loud music.

As the music slowed in tempo, she felt his arm slip around her waist suddenly and Marcus leaned down to whisper into her ear; "would you like to dance?"

She smiled up at him and nodded as he took her hand to lead her further onto the dance floor.

He pulled her to him, and they swayed slowly to the music - his cape sweeping around them to bind them closer together. It was a real sight as the dishy Dracula lowered his head as if to vamp the ugly old witch.

And for a while Miranda simply enjoyed the feel of being held in Marcus's arms.

The music died, to be replaced with a livelier beat again and the two of them separated. Taking her arm he led her to the bar and got them both a drink, and though he didn't say anything, she knew that for the rest of the evening he would stay at her side.

It was a magical night for her, as she continued to circulate and talk to people. Always Marcus was at her elbow and effortlessly he joined in with the conversations, and every so often she would feel his hand as it lightly brushed against her.

As the evening drew to a close Peter and Amanda sought them out. "We're going off to that night club again; they've been holding a special all this weekend - for Halloween... did you want to come with us?"

Miranda smiled but shook her head. "No thanks Peter; I've had a good time tonight, but I think that I've had enough."

Peter looked to Marcus who also shook his head, "I'll drop Miranda off on my way home," he smiled.

Miranda blushed but simply thanked him quietly and with a wave and a "goodnight!" from the other two they were left alone as other people began to head for the exits.

He drew up outside their house and turned to her in the darkness of the car.

"Would you like to come in for coffee?" she asked him nervously.

Marcus shook his head regretfully. "I don't think that would be a good idea," he murmured.

It was too dark to see his face and so she was more than a little surprised when his arm snaked around her and pulled her close again. She let out a little squeal which was cut off when his mouth made contact with hers. His hand gently cupped her face as his lips moved against hers the way they had earlier; and again she let out a soft little groan and leaned into him to return the kiss.

They were both breathing a little heavier when Marcus finally moved away from her and she whispered softly; "are you sure you wouldn't like to come in for coffee?"

Again he shook his head. "If I step through your door, neither of us will be having coffee," he warned her pointedly. "So do you still want to invite me in?"

She swallowed as his meaning dawned on her. "No... I don't think I do."

It was her turn to be regretful and Marcus let out a sigh. "No I think we both have the same idea about working together and sleeping together."

"Yes," she groaned, "it would be a mistake."

Marcus opened the car door and climbed out. He walked around the car to open her door and help her out. "I'll just make sure you're safely inside." He told her as he put his hand on her arm and walked down the path with her.

She unlocked the front door and looked up at the man towering over her. "Goodnight Marcus," she said softly.

He bent to kiss her quickly on the mouth before stepping back. "Goodnight Miranda. I'll wait until I hear you lock the door."

Miranda stepped inside and forced herself to shut the door on him. She dropped the catch and stood listening. It seem like an eternity later when she suddenly heard the slam of a car door and then the engine as he started it up and drove away.

She let out another little regretful sigh before turning to climb up the stairs. They both knew that their working together really did prohibit any other relationship between them, but that didn't stop her wishing.

She knew that working so close to Marcus was getting more and more difficult because she knew that she was falling in love with him.

She stopped halfway up the stairs, as she realised suddenly that it wasn't that she WAS falling in love with him... she already had... head over heels... and in way over her head, passionately, and irrevocably - in love with Marcus Phillips... She always had been, she realised with dismay; ever since that night, when they had first met and he had smiled down at her for crying at a silly romantic movie.

"Oh dear!" she sighed softly.

totallyatease
totallyatease
1,006 Followers
12