A Shade of the Past Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sam looked at the love in her mother's eyes and not for the first time wondered what her relationship had been to the two ancients. Had she loved them both at the same time? It was what the rumors had said. Lately, Justin hung around the Earth telling his secrets to Andomiere or no one. He was hanging out with his long-lost brother again, too. Dorian had lived with him. Did even he know all of their secrets?

They materialized in a large study. The furniture was ornate, but the room looked carved out of a red rock. It was then that she remembered Justin's favored dragons were fire drakes. They lived in a mountain cave which was perfect for a fire elemental, but not for her. Or even a phoenix, but again not her, she thought. Almost immediately, a door opened admitting a young man who eyed her warily. "Sir," he said quietly.

"Find one of Gabriel's people to accompany her. The beggars could use something to do, and I doubt a mere dragon could keep up with her," he teased. She flushed. "Still, she's an elder daughter of Jenna Karro. Treat her with respect, but keep her safe. Understood?" The boy nodded and fled the room grateful to leave. He had looked startled at the mention of her mother's name, and curious. An older gentleman came into the room with a boy at his side.

"Did you ask your friends to come guard your daughter, my lord," he asked amused. "I swear the boy said it that way exactly. What have you done to scare them into politeness?"

"Nothing," he stated. "Due to my father's reputation, they have not yet found out that I am not a pure-blooded dragon, so they remain loyal to me." He noticed Sam's odd look. "They respect Jenna as my wife here, not Kane, so any child of hers is mine...here." He smiled at her stunned expression. "As it should be everywhere," he added softly. The gentleman introduced himself as D'Angelou. She knew the 'D' part of the name was a coveted title among Dragon kind, so he was probably the dragon blood in charge of Marrgar's people when he and his son, Gabriel, were away. He introduced the other as Tomas Fischel, otherwise called Tevis, or Theo'doric.

Frowning, she asked Tevis if he had ever been to Earth. Behind her, Justin repeated the question in what sounded like old Greek. She had spoken English. She considered the name. It was Thomas Phillip in his language and meant 'twin, lover of horses', but the Theo'doric was German for 'ruler of the people'. Tevis was Scottish, and Fischel was Yiddish. It could even be referenced to an older word in ancient Aramaic. Just how old was he, she wondered wryly, he looked her age.

"Now, what," she asked. "I just run out and play."

Justin moved to his desk to sort through the information he had written there and ignored her, shrugging. "I don't care so long as you are nowhere near Dina, Sam." He looked up just in time to catch two identical looks of distaste upon the men's faces. Sam laughed at their expressions! Obviously, they disapproved, too. The McLaird smiled and went back to work. D'Angelou went to advise him since he seemed to have little common sense. Bored quickly, Sam left the room with her tag-along friend. He glided behind her so softly, she hated it. He gave the appearance of being subservient and disinterested. He was already annoying her! He rarely looked up from his floor-level gaze.

"Why do you not like Dina," she asked in the common tongue of their kind. He looked up at her then.

"She isn't a proper wife to a Dragon Lord. She can't survive here. She would turn into ice and die. Besides," he shrugged, "she threw him out. You don't even notice the cold, do you?" She glanced around wondering what he meant.

"Why didn't I turn to ice?"

"Jenna can come here even without Dragon blood. She can regulate her body temperature consciously. You seem to do it without thought," he noted pleased. "Your mother had some difficulty adjusting, but she is doing better each time she visits." They came to a fork in the path. "Down here is the Common Room. Few speak our language. They distrust Beggars," he explained casually. "Do you still wish to go this way, or turn and go in another?"

"You speak like you are a dragon, too. Why would you say 'our people' if you consider yourself one of them," she asked uncertainly. He shrugged. She was tired of barely seeing a tiny patch of his face around his eyes. "Is there a way out of this cave? I miss the sunshine, already," she complained. "And trees," she added.

"For trees," he hesitated, "you would need Ulgan Wrath."

"Okay, what is that," she asked stopping.

Tevis looked nearly scared to answer. "He is the heir to the Glades. He only speaks Dragon, I think..."

"So, you can translate. I can handle one confused dragon." He nodded unhappily. "Why do you look like you would rather chew on a handful of worms?"

"I don't want to be held responsible for your welfare when Ulgan screws your brains out," he stated nastily, "and he will, mark my words."

"I do not intend to fuck a dragon," she promised sincerely. He eyed her thoughtfully.

"I hope not. It is common for them to mark any they like, and Ulgan is now of age to marry. How would I explain that to the McLaird? Either of them," he stated. He went on into the common room with a soft, "Stay here. I'll go get him."

The moment he stepped up behind the dragon, the room fell silent. There was a loud, angry comment and a slight commotion. She started to check on Tevis. She hadn't known the request would place him in any danger, or she wouldn't have asked. He came out with one arm curled into his side and anger in his eyes. A brightly-colored guy followed calling him by name. Tevis walked past her and cut down the other corridor. They followed swiftly, both wondering if he was okay. He didn't stop until he reached an outside lake. There he backed away from the caves entrance...and the Dragon boy.

Sam purposely concentrated on the Dragons mind to hear his thoughts past the unfamiliar words. "Tevis," the green and orange dragon looked concerned. He moved until he touched the long, solid cloak. "Let me see the wound."

Tevis glared at him. "It is no more than I deserve. The girl wishes to enter your domain. She is the daughter of the McLaird's new wife."

"McLaird Ramus," he asked confused.

"McLaird McKeinly," he corrected. Ulgan nodded.

"Granted," he said with a quirky grin. "Are you her escort?" The dragon looked eager and even hopeful by the idea.

"For what it is worth...I am," he answered softly. Tevis gaze sharpened when the dragon began to study the girl. He could almost see the wicked ideas cross his face as he stood there in thought.

"Shall I take you both," he asked amused, "now?" His tone was suggestive of other things, but Tevis ignored it and stepped aside. The man ran and leapt into the air out over the lake. He never hit the water. Instead, a bright Glade dragon coiled and turned back to pick them both into his powerful limbs. His wing-span was pretty large. He looked like a twisting Chinese dragon, she noted wistfully. She was held tight in Tevis arms and cloak to keep the dragon's claws from her delicate skin. She squeaked in fright as they lifted away from the ground.

"It is alright. He is taking us home," Tevis whispered. "You are safe." Us home, she wondered. He must have lived among the Glade dragons before his clan was outcast from the dragon's society.

12